Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Brian? wrote: »
    The fact that you, and people like you, think gay people need to present a certain way to gain respect is the exact reason gay pride exists.

Let them have their day, the way they want to have it. It's their day to express themselves, park your petty judgments and hang ups for one day.

I love the pride parade, bring my kids every year. Brilliant day out.

"Why is that man dressed like that Daddy" - son

"Why not son? It's not hurting anyone" - me

"Oh look free fanta" - son

you bring your kids to a pride event ?

that is just plain weird if you ask me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Faugheen wrote: »
    Fully expecting people to question your parenting now.

Pride is great craic. A bunch of people enjoying themselves in the way that they want to.

The great part about it is anyone can join in at any stage. In the Dublin Pride at least there were no barriers lining the streets and people could come and go as they please.

People have questioned my parenting on boards many times, mainly for maintaining a healthy attitude to sexuality. I'm immune to it now.

I didn't know that about the route. We always went to the end where the free stuff and party was.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Why is it weird? There are hundreds of kids at it. Last time I was at the festivities in Smithfiled there were playgrounds, stalls and activities for kids everywhere. Kids got some haul of free stuff from the corporate sponsors and their faces painted.

And the gays are smart. They do it in June, so there's a decent chance it won't be missing rain. Unlike Paddy's day

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Fully expecting people to question your parenting now.

Pride is great craic. A bunch of people enjoying themselves in the way that they want to.

The great part about it is anyone can join in at any stage. In the Dublin Pride at least there were no barriers lining the streets and people could come and go as they please.

that didn't take long.

Why is it weird? There are hundreds of kids at it. Last time I was at the festivities in Smithfiled there were playgrounds, stalls and activities for kids everywhere. Kids got some haul of free stuff from the corporate sponsors and their faces painted.

And the gays are smart. They do it in June, so there's a decent chance it won't be missing rain. Unlike Paddy's day

I find the idea of bringing kids to any political event weird , beit bringing them to a SF ard fheis or " Pride " , its the parents who are out to practice politics , its not like bringing kids to the circus or the zoo

• Advertisement

I find the idea of bringing kids to any political event weird , beit bringing them to a SF ard fheis or " Pride " , its the parents who are out to practice politics , its not like bringing kids to the circus or the zoo

It's not a political event, what's weird is that you think it is.

It has more in common with bringing them to a street art festival or the Paddy's day parade than anything. What so you think actually happens at Pride?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

It has more in common with bringing them to a street art festival or the Paddy's day parade than anything. What so you think actually happens at Pride?

I was going to link a youtube video to make the point but each time it was age restricted*.

So heres the sort of thing that probably doesnt do that community much favors. Its a bit much for public spaces, a bit much when theres kids about.

NSFW
    https://c8.alamy.com/comp/CT2W6A/semi-naked-man-with-mahican-and-stilts-at-the-london-world-pride-to-CT2W6A.jpg

*(In before youre 12 etc)

the clips ive seen are not age appropriate , Drag queens , leather costumes etc

that is not kids entertainment in my view , prefer take them to the zoo or the park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Cordell

They are more likely to witness public intercourse and/or self satisfying at the zoo than at a pride parade :)

Cordell wrote: »
    They are more likely to witness public intercourse and/or self satisfying at the zoo than at a pride parade :)

Ive yet to see a chimp being lead around on a leash with a ball gag in his mouth by another chimp in a studded speedo.

Ill take the zoo. Sperm and egg is easier to explain than power-bottom and ass master.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

85603 wrote: »
    Ive yet to see a chimp being lead around on a leash with a ball gag in his mouth by another chimp in a studded speedo.

Ill take the zoo. Sperm and egg is easier to explain than power-bottom and ass master.

I've attended many Prides in Ireland, Dublins ones, Corks, Limericks Dundalks (Sherlock of the Liberal in Co. Louth is one of the local haters/protesters), Carlow, Kilkenny, Waterford, Galway and have stewarded at a number of them too; have yet to see what you describe; maybe I've been too busy volunteering or maybe you just see what you want to see perhaps?

In any case that's ALWAYS the one image of EVERY Pride Parade the Far Right trot out; they completely ignore the fun, the puns, the pagenatry & glamour that goes with Pride Parades in my the same way you'll get this with St. Patks. Day Parades; it's easier to focus on what you're against than the bits you might, through gritted teeth, like.

the clips ive seen are not age appropriate , Drag queens , leather costumes etc

that is not kids entertainment in my view , prefer take them to the zoo or the park

Drag queens aren't age appropriate? As in a fully dressed man in a dress?

It's not the 1950s

they/them/theirs

You think seeing men in leather means having to explain a power bottom?

Weird

they/them/theirs

You think seeing men in leather means having to explain a power bottom?

Weird

Its not just 'men in leather' though is it.

And yeah, they'll want to know why that man has a rubber gimp mask and is on a leash.

Its un-necessary. Just be dignified about it. Wave a flag. Wear a colored sombrero. party horn, glitter etc etc all that good bs. balloons. funny glasses. whatever.

There you go. You're out and proud. No ass cheeks necessary.

And yeah, they'll want to know why that man has a rubber gimp mask and is on a leash.

Its un-necessary. Just be dignified about it. Wave a flag. Wear a colored sombrero. party horn, glitter etc etc all that good bs. balloons. funny glasses. whatever.

This is pointless. You're a prude who completely misses the point of Pride.

they/them/theirs

This is pointless. You're a prude who completely misses the point of Pride.

Whats the point so?

And how do gimp masks help promote this?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So now you're telling the gays how they should celebrate a day devoted to them.

So now you're telling the gays how they should celebrate a day devoted to them.

they can celebrate it how they like.
    and the public will draw their own conclusions.

id advise keeping public bdsm-play out of it. unless thats what they want to be associated with.

they can celebrate it how they like.
    and the public will draw their own conclusions.

id advise keeping public bdsm-play out of it. unless thats what they want to be associated with.

There is f*ck-all 'public bdsm-play'. You act like Pride is one big on-street public orgy when its far from it.

There is f*ck-all 'public bdsm-play'. You act like Pride is one big on-street public orgy when its far from it.

Prove that last comment, show where I act like pride is a big orgy.

Also, yes there is bdsm sort of stuff at pride marches. A quick google proves that.

• Advertisement

Also, yes there is bdsm sort of stuff at pride marches. A quick google proves that.

You're making it out to be this uber-sexual event when it isn't. Just because you didn't say those very words does not mean that is implied because fact is you said 'public bdsm-play' - all you have done is hypersexualise what Pride marches are so yes, it can absolutely be implied that you think it's a big orgy.

Go to a Pride march yourself and you will see that in the grand scheme of things, there is f*ck-all 'public bdsm-play'. The vast, vast majority of the march are lobby groups, inclusive sports teams, corporate floats. It's not full of leather-clad lads with chains and gags in their mouths.

A quick google image search proves my point just as much as you think it proves yours. Don't see anything wrong in any of those images in that link, do you?

I’m shocked that googling “bdsm pride” shows so much Bdsm at pride. SHOCKED!!

they/them/theirs

you must live a sheltered life if you think those pics depict BDSM.

you must live a sheltered life if you think those pics depict BDSM.

i described it as bdsm-play. what would you describe lads in leather chaps with ball gags walking their dog collared mr slaves around on all fours as?

is there a better term?

i described it as bdsm-play. what would you describe lads in leather chaps with ball gags walking their dog collared mr slaves around on all fours as?

is there a better term?

Dressing up

they/them/theirs

is there a better term?
    Dressing up

Exactly.

You're making it out to be this uber-sexual event when it isn't. Just because you didn't say those very words does not mean that is implied because fact is you said 'public bdsm-play' - all you have done is hypersexualise what Pride marches are so yes, it can absolutely be implied that you think it's a big orgy.

Go to a Pride march yourself and you will see that in the grand scheme of things, there is f*ck-all 'public bdsm-play'. The vast, vast majority of the march are lobby groups, inclusive sports teams, corporate floats. It's not full of leather-clad lads with chains and gags in their mouths.

A quick google image search proves my point just as much as you think it proves yours. Don't see anything wrong in any of those images in that link, do you?

Is it really me hypersexualizing the event by some slightly disapproving posts on a forum, or is it the lads/ladies walking around with their ball-gags and nipple rings?

I noted that having this contingent associated with the wider parade was probably doing them no favors.

Given that the image I posted got a NSFW tag and the youtube videos require an age verification this may be an indication that in the general sense this behavior is seen as somehow unsuitable for younger eyes.

How can you fully engage with the public if you put yourself beyond families.

Is it really me hypersexualizing the event by some slightly disapproving posts on a forum, or is it the lads/ladies walking around with their ball-gags and nipple rings?

I noted that having this contingent associated with the wider parade was probably doing them no favors.

Given that the image I posted got a NSFW tag and the youtube videos require an age verification this may be an indication that in the general sense this behavior is seen as somehow unsuitable for younger eyes.

How can you fully engage with the public if you put yourself beyond families.

Nipple rings? *clutches pearls*

I'm not particularly interested in Pride, and don't particularly care if anyone is gay, straight, black, asian, catholic, atheist, vegan, whatever. Has no impact on my life, so I couldn't give a sh/te.

However, as someone who has never attended or even been in the general area of a Pride parade, I do think that user 85603 is dead right in saying that if there are displays, like he has linked to and described, that it of course does nothing to garner respect for the movement at all.

A quick google search gives me many questionable images, however, none of them appear to be from Dublin. My google search for Dublin Pride parades seems to be more in keeping with what I would hope/expect a parade would be like. Wave your flag, make yourself known, sing your songs, etc. without having to be crass or self-absorbed to the point where you are actively turning people against you for being antagonistic to people who may want to support gay rights, but not have to watch someone in chaps with a strap-on drag their partner on a lead.

There are right and wrong ways to present yourself publicly.

EDIT: Also, it portrays a very dated stereotype. I know a gay couple and they're not at all interested in that kind of thing. (although they don't attend Pride, either). You can bet if someone turned up on TV as a gay character, dressed in leather chaps, there'd be uproar over it, yet in (some?) parades it's encouraged that to be gay you have to be into this kinda stuff. As I say, does no one any favours.

• Advertisement

Nipple rings? *clutches pearls*

yeah nipple rings really promote understanding and acceptance.

look kids theres a dom leading zur femmy ass bitch around by some nipple rings.

Advertisement