Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

.anon. wrote: »
    Ban them from parking on roads too, unless the road is wide enough for a truck or bus to pass without having to cross the white line. Having to wait to safely 'overtake' parked cars is one of the biggest causes of delayed buses.

Make it illegal for buses to go down streets not wide enough for two busses to pass with a car parked either side.

Job done
    It should also be legal for cyclists to jump red lights when it's clear to do so (i.e. turning left) and there aren't any pedestrians involved.

Really, what an empty logic statement to make.

I'll substitute to highlight
    It should be legal for cars to jump red lights when it's clear to do so and there aren't any pedestrians involved.

See how stupid that is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

It's called 'dominating the road'. It is a tactic and deemed a lot safer than hugging the footpath. It makes the car slow right and to think about it when passing you.

It's called being a dick

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's called 'dominating the road'. It is a tactic and deemed a lot safer than hugging the footpath. It makes the car slow right and to think about it when passing you.

Expect a beep up the arse from me if someone tries that "tactic" on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I watch sport to be entertained and in a small way its a bit of escapism. In short - its fun.
    I really dont appreciate it when the prevailing fashionable cause/crusade is crow-barred into the proceedings.

I may or may not agree with what's being peddled but that's not the point.
    These campaigns are everywhere already, I'm aware of all them - its impossible not to be nowadays.

Stop the pandering and the preaching - its insulting to all involved at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Make it illegal for buses to go down streets not wide enough for two busses to pass with a car parked either side.

Job done

There should be a 'Stupid Opinions' thread for idiotic posts like that. Something so basic shouldn't need to be explained to a grown adult, but if you make bus travel even less attractive than it currently is, the end result is that you're going to have even more cars on the road, which isn't good for anyone - even motorists. If you're capable of pausing and thinking logically for a moment, consider how unpleasant driving a car through rush hour traffic would be if everyone else had no choice but to drive instead of using public transport. If it isn't possible to park a car on a road without causing inconvenience to others (especially vehicles that have the capacity to carry twenty times as many people as a car), then there isn't room for parking on that road. On-street parking is not an efficient use of public space.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Really, what an empty logic statement to make.

I'll substitute to highlight
    It should be legal for cars to jump red lights when it's clear to do so and there aren't any pedestrians involved.

See how stupid that is

You clearly haven't given this a lot of thought (although to be fair, given your above comment about banning buses from driving on streets with parked cars, it's fair to assume that thinking isn't your strong point). Unlike a motorist, a cyclist jumping a red light does so primarily at their own risk. It's also easier for them to look around and see and hear whether it's genuinely clear to proceed, so the risk of an accident is far lower. Furthermore, it would give them a 'head-start' over large vehicles turning left, rather than sitting in their blind spot and then remaining in that blind spot as they move off at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

You clearly haven't given this a lot of thought (although to be fair, given your above comment about banning buses from driving on streets with parked cars, it's fair to assume that thinking isn't your strong point). Unlike a motorist, a cyclist jumping a red light does so primarily at their own risk. It's also easier for them to look around and see and hear whether it's genuinely clear to proceed, so the risk of an accident is far lower. Furthermore, it would give them a 'head-start' over large vehicles turning left, rather than sitting in their blind spot and then remaining in that blind spot as they move off at the same time.

They're more likely to get physically hurt. But they could still seriously hurt a pedestrian or cause an accident with a vehicle and the driver will more than likely carry the can for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

They're more likely to get physically hurt. But they could still seriously hurt a pedestrian or cause an accident with a vehicle and the driver will more than likely car the can for it.

Which is why they shouldn't be allowed to pass a red wherever pedestrians have the green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Other people are overrated.

Very few people have more than one true friend in life and there's a reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I hate the Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pineapple on pizza is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sometimes on social media people comment under articles saying. ''Stop writing this stuff and leave the family in peace, etc''. These people love the drama and love getting the likes for their compassionate comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

biko wrote: »
    Pineapple on pizza is fine.

Not if you want to drink a glass of wine and be able to enjoy it's taste. Goes for anything really, since pineapple murders taste perception. Other that, it's sort of ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

cnocbui wrote: »
    Not if you want to drink a glass of wine and be able to enjoy it's taste. Goes for anything really, since pineapple murders taste perception. Other that, it's sort of ok.

Jesus thanks for the heads up 😮😊
    Gotta keep it in mind next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sometimes on social media people comment under articles saying. ''Stop writing this stuff and leave the family in peace, etc''. These people love the drama and love getting the likes for their compassionate comment.

ohh absolutely this , usually women commenting 'be kind' 'leave them alone' 'you don't know what goes on behind closed doors' 'they could be going through something' etc.. are all there for the flow of likes and are usually the exact people to start drama in their own lives or gossip about everyones personal business with a glass of wine in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

LinkedIn is the home of world class virtue signalling and political correctness.

A: "I'm sharing an article about indigenous women weaving straw hats in Northeastern Peru. They have made a successful business from it."

B: Truly inspirational article. We must foster their creativity in the face of racism and the patriarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    LinkedIn is the home of world class virtue signalling and political correctness.

A: "I'm sharing an article about indigenous women weaving straw hats in Northeastern Peru. They have made a successful business from it."

B: Truly inspirational article. We must foster their creativity in the face of racism and the patriarchy.

If I see another woman who was handed her dads / husbands business or rode her way up the ladder share an 'empowering women' 'women only grants' etc post on linkedin ill scream. Women who actually made their own success don't seem to have any time to share these exclusionary events, those who were hoisted up the ladder on mens achievements seem determined to pull the ladder up from other men.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

If I see another woman who was handed her dads / husbands business or rode her way up the ladder share an 'empowering women' 'women only grants' etc post on linkedin ill scream. Women who actually made their own success don't seem to have any time to share these exclusionary events, those who were hoisted up the ladder on mens achievements seem determined to pull the ladder up from other men.
    yep ireland 2021 FG\FF will have ye all weaving straw hats as they continue from 1920s
    jackbooting the citizens whilst get rich on the citizens tax--
    franch just jailed a leader (usual of wont really see jail) but taken there and done.
    the corrupt garda with judiciary screw the citizens whilst letting ministers walk away never investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭cms88

There's so many of them it's crazy.

It's like a women who's married to a successful man who say their job is a ''philanthropist''. Easy to do when it's someone elses money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

cms88 wrote: »
    There's so many of them it's crazy.

It's like a women who's married to a successful man who say their job is a ''philanthropist''. Easy to do when it's someone elses money
    Jimbob1977 wrote: »

You need to follow this a/c that calls out LinkedIn sh1tehawkery..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

David Gray's "White Ladder" album is decent, but nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

NIMAN wrote: »
    David Gray's "White Ladder" album is decent, but nothing more.

David Gray is a whiney, nasal singing, thoroughly average piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People "upset" about a pic of a man sitting on a dead horse.
    A bit weird, but other than that, so what?

It's not like he's using a dead person as a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Other people are overrated.

Very few people have more than one true friend in life and there's a reason for that.

That’s a depressing thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anti racism has changed completely. We used to be told that we shouldn’t see colour, just people. Now it seems that every publication or bulletin wets itself to lead with the narrative of race e.g. first black/Asian/mixed person to do x,y or z. It singles them out by their skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the photo was the highlight of the horses week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Antares35 wrote: »
    David Gray is a whiney, nasal singing, thoroughly average piece of work.

I'm still traumatised by the late 90s early 2000s when white ladder was on repeat everywhere in Ireland. Ugh.

Brazilian people are the main driver for HIV infections in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anti racism has changed completely. We used to be told that we shouldn’t see colour, just people. Now it seems that every publication or bulletin wets itself to lead with the narrative of race e.g. first black/Asian/mixed person to do x,y or z. It singles them out by their skin colour.

Yeah I'm still leading with this approach. I don't know anything about being some other race, so I've decided to ignore it and carry on. I don't see any other logical way to deal with it. It's not a bloody disability and noone wants to be treated differently anyway. There is racism all over the world, it is not even a predominantly white crime, the japanese for example can be extremely racist, aswell as african americans themselves, basically it's everywhere, it's a universal human vice. I am desperate to find smart funny and interesting people, I really don't care about the aesthetics of their life, that includes race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I'm still traumatised by the late 90s early 2000s when white ladder was on repeat everywhere in Ireland. Ugh.

I got a free ticket to one of his gigs when White Ladder was out.

I still felt ripped off. Was fuming that I spent a tenner for parking.

Pure Sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think we're dead right to be opening things up slowly, and it will eventually lead to a more successful reponeing overall

Advertisement