Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,351 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Pete Best is one of the luckier Beatles, not the unlucky one.

Thinking about it he has had a nice comfortable life. He has his health. Being ultra famous Beatles contributed to the deaths of two of them. John Lennon who was murdered. And George Harrison who was very nearly fatally stabbed. It was said to have contributed to his early death.

Pete never had to suffer any of this.He had the longest marriage of any of the Beatles - 45 years. Away from the public gaze and Pop star lifestyle. Unlike Maureen/Ringo George/Patty John/Cynthia/Yoko Paul/Linda/Heather Mils.

Also, he can walk around freely buy a pint of milk in the shop etc. Normal everyday stuff. How many Beatles can do that? He still plays with his band.

Who really won and who lost?
    He has earned over 1m from the Beatles Anthology sales and still plays with his band. Plus he has a road named after him in Liverpool Pete Best Drive.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Since you seem to represent all cyclists I want to make a request that you guys please don't cycle in the centre of the road. It makes it impossible to pass.

It's called 'dominating the road'. It is a tactic and deemed a lot safer than hugging the footpath. It makes the car slow right and to think about it when passing you.

Here's an unpopular opinion. Fine cars illegally parked on footpaths.

Not unpopular at all. Am well up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

It's called 'dominating the road'. It is a tactic and deemed a lot safer than hugging the footpath. It makes the car slow right and to think about it when passing you.

What's the point of the cycle lane then?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have no interest in listening to Micháel Martin's speech!

• Advertisement

You didn't make it clear in your post that there was a cycle lane also present with the inference being there was no cycle lane. Maybe they are crossing over at the next junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I've cycled in Oz and NZ, motorists hate cyclists there even more than here so I'm not surprised more people are killed. A bike turning left at a red light isn't dangerous though.

I cycled in Oz daily for over 12 years. That's news to me. Different era, perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Here's an unpopular opinion. Fine cars illegally parked on footpaths.

Ban them from parking on roads too, unless the road is wide enough for a truck or bus to pass without having to cross the white line. Having to wait to safely 'overtake' parked cars is one of the biggest causes of delayed buses.

It should also be legal for cyclists to jump red lights when it's clear to do so (i.e. turning left) and there aren't any pedestrians involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Tedfest is a crock of ****e.

Imagine Seattle had a Fraiser-themed festival every year, or Peckham did something similar with OFAH?

I can picture the type of people who attend it too. Student teachers from Mary Dry who have upgraded from Macra na Feirme socials and think that being able to quote Fr.Ted is oh so hilarious.

Its only a fecking tv show at the end of the day, no need for a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Its for parking your car of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,626 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Personal trainer's are not mental health experts .
    In fact they use the word solely to generate more cash

Also they must be the highest rate of any profession on the planet to have had mental health issues and pull through ,So if you pay them by simply doing burpees & eating chicken and broccoli they will cure you off all your mental health problems

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Also, he can walk around freely buy a pint of milk in the shop etc. Normal everyday stuff. How many Beatles can do that?.

4A4022F700000578-5509913-image-m-12_1521209179887.jpg
    nintchdbpict000335273660.jpg

Pete Best is one of the luckier Beatles, not the unlucky one.

Thinking about it he has had a nice comfortable life. He has his health. Being ultra famous Beatles contributed to the deaths of two of them. John Lennon who was murdered. And George Harrison who was very nearly fatally stabbed. It was said to have contributed to his early death.

Pete never had to suffer any of this.He had the longest marriage of any of the Beatles - 45 years. Away from the public gaze and Pop star lifestyle. Unlike Maureen/Ringo George/Patty John/Cynthia/Yoko Paul/Linda/Heather Mils.

Also, he can walk around freely buy a pint of milk in the shop etc. Normal everyday stuff. How many Beatles can do that? He has earned over 1m from the Beatles Anthology sales and still plays with his band.

Who really won and who lost?
    He has earned over 1m from the Beatles Anthology sales and still plays with his band. Plus he has a road named after him in Liverpool Pete Best Drive.

Absolute nonsense. George Harrison smoked and got lung cancer. Nothing whatsoever to do being stabbed, which Doctors described as 'not life threatening.'

Best gets to play with his band, how nice; Ringo gets to play with Prince, Tom Petty, Steve Winward, Jeff Lynn, Elton John, Jools Holland, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins - and that's just in 2 gigs.

Ringo has been married To Barbara Bach for 40 years:

87ef71300b291c893c46875fcd5aa0c4.jpg

That's pure win in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

cnocbui wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. George Harrison smoked and got lung cancer. Nothing whatsoever to do being stabbed, which Doctors described as 'not life threatening.'

Best gets to play with his band, how nice; Ringo gets to play with Prince, Tom Petty, Steve Winward, Jeff Lynn, Elton John, Jools Holland, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins - and that's just in 2 gigs.

not for his looks she married that drummer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ringo got to be Thomas The Tank Engine. He wins. End of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,351 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

cnocbui wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. George Harrison smoked and got lung cancer. Nothing whatsoever to do being stabbed, which Doctors described as 'not life threatening.

It is not nonsense. As it definitely weakened Harrison.It definitely did not help him that is for sure. It happened in 1999, Where he suffered a punctured lung and 40 stab wounds. He died of Cancer in 2001.
    Best gets to play with his band, how nice; Ringo gets to play with Prince, Tom Petty, Steve Winward, Jeff Lynn, Elton John, Jools Holland, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins - and that's just in 2 gigs

But how many of those lads get to live normal everyday lives. Hassled walking around and so on.

Still Pete Best was married for 45 and has no hassles. Barbara is a nice bit of stuff for sure. However you are ignoring the fact that partly because of his fame and stresses. Ringo was a raging alco for a while who used to batter Barbara.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/ringo-starr-thought-killed-wife-22317554

Everything is not always as rosy as it first appears

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/5869610/ringo-starr-beatles-drugs-knighthood/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The Nal wrote: »
    4A4022F700000578-5509913-image-m-12_1521209179887.jpg
    nintchdbpict000335273660.jpg

I don't think someone taking a photo from the Daily Mail helps the argument that he can go about his daily life.

Pete Best lives in Liverpool. Enough said.

I don't think someone taking a photo from the Daily Mail helps the argument that he can go about his daily life.

His version of 'daily life' is very different to our daily life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Its for parking your car of course.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Once a person has been cancelled for heinous stuff I can still really enjoy their stuff without too much ill feeling.

Have been banging out Marilyn Manson all week. The man made some fantastic tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Once a person has been cancelled for heinous stuff I can still really enjoy their stuff without too much ill feeling.

Have been banging out Marilyn Manson all week. The man made some fantastic tunes.

Just because Harvey Weinstein got jail doesn't mean you can't enjoy his work; most of us watch the films for the lines, scenes, storylines/blurb, actors & actresses & not the producer to be fair.

Kevin Spacey; I still think A Time To Kill was one of his better movies & the "Yes they deserved to die & I hope they burn in hell" line he elicited from Samuel L. Jackson was awesome as he led him up along the garden path > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMYR8_33XgQ&ab_channel=NinjaDandD

Preferred him in it to LA Confidential & Usual Suspects; never saw Se7en.

Canceling the work he was involved in at the time the sexual assault allegations were made is okay; but denying viewers an oppo to view the films he was in is unfair to viewers (I wonder will we ever see them again on Terrestrial Television in Ireland & UK?) but it's surely unfair on all those who've worked in any way on such films too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Has Spacey actually been convicted of anything? I seem to recall cases being dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its a technique called being a cockwomble .

The biggest of the many hypocrisies cyclists are a fan of also is endlessly campaigning for cycle lanes yet still cockwombling as above , when called up on it theres usually some excuse about the cycle lanes being full of debris which just doesn't wash.

Those cyclists who use the road when theres a cycle path available are doing it just to sadistically delay those who have other things to do except engage in the most disruptive hobby on our roads

The biggest of the many hypocrisies cyclists are a fan of also is endlessly campaigning for cycle lanes yet still cockwombling as above , when called up on it theres usually some excuse about the cycle lanes being full of debris which just doesn't wash.

Those cyclists who use the road when theres a cycle path available are doing it just to sadistically delay those who have other things to do except engage in the most disruptive hobby on our roads

I thought cyclopses were mythical creatures, but the cycling forums are absolutely full of them. Since I havent seen any on the road, I can only assume they don rubber mission-impossible type masks as a disguise when they go out in public to dominate the roads. I have ridden a bike daily for 12 years, I had a motorcycle licence before I had one for a car and I actually had a job riiding a bike for a living, 8 hours a day, but the cyclcling forums are something else - a glorified victim support group.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ShagNastii wrote: »

I think it does remove any guilty feeling people might have for "acquiring" their content though.

It would be great if someone like Tarantino could reflect on this, and make their previous weinstein content public domain (understanding the difficulty with regards continued pay-outs for actors when the content is shown).

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

If they want to use the road maybe it's time some form of road tax applied to all road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭statto25

The biggest of the many hypocrisies cyclists are a fan of also is endlessly campaigning for cycle lanes yet still cockwombling as above , when called up on it t heres usually some excuse about the cycle lanes being full of debris which just doesn't wash.

Absolute bollocksology. Do you honestly believe that when a cyclist leaves the house it's for the sole purpose of disrupting your journey? If a cyclist doesn't cycle away from the yellow line, impatient tossers are more likely to cut up the cyclist when overtaking. Moving closer to the centre of the road makes drivers overtake properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Just read a very short article about zlatan ibrahimovic suggesting that sports people should stick to sports and not express themselves politically. Le bron james (these journalists are earning their corn connecting these two) responded with a massive display of virtue signalling about him standing up to racism and using his platform to fight injustice both in america and internationally.

He really put his foot in it with the international comment, considering he refused to criticize china, clearly for financial reasons during the hk protests and more importantly as they systematically detain abuse and kill ethnic minorities. He is 100% a hypocrite of the worst kind(i.e. when people's lives are at risk) if you are going to be political which he says he wants to be, then you open yourself to such criticism. What's the point in fighting against racial injustice for one race only while implicitly supporting a regime that commits genocide for personal gain? Surely that is itself racism? To top it off he made some comment about how when he speaks he has a highly informed opinion. So he is knowingly supporting genocide and non democratic governance then by refusing to not only criticize china but also going so far as to criticize those who speak out against the occupation of Hong Kong for example.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors/article/LeBron-James-comments-on-China-an-14535304.php

https://sports.yahoo.com/lebron-james-ibrahimovic-am-wrong-073442439.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

statto25 wrote: »
    Include cycle lanes in that

You should watch parking wars

Where people parked on the footpath to leave access for ambulances and fire engines after being asked to instead of being fined.

Only for the parking zionists to come along and fine them for that

Advertisement