Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

paw patrol wrote: »
    I keep hearing this ...

But ask yourself , do the spanish call them "expats" or "foreigners"?
    I don't know but I'll bet its not "ex pats"

likewise do people in Nigeria call Nigerians here "foreigners"
    again I'll bet they don't

the use of all the terms is correct as they are subjective based on the position of the person using them.

I think's it's more to do with the amount of cash they have. British people living in France and Spain usually arrive with lots of sterling and spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I think's it's more to do with the amount of cash they have. British people living in France and Spain usually arrive with lots of sterling and spend it.

This does help reduce the issues that locals will have alright.

They are a drain only on the health service and I assume the NHS foot some of that bill. Ex pats (Brits in spain etc) don't get jobs but often do up houses and eat out loads, thus creating jobs.

I'm sure plenty of locals still have gripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,889 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A hotline should be set up to deal with covid violations and cash prizes to callers on a successful prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

A hotline should be set up to deal with covid violations and cash prizes to callers on a successful prosecution.

Why stop there...let us set up a snitchers helpline for every breach of any law across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Why stop there...let us set up a snitchers helpline for every breach of any law across the board.

Already exists:
    1800 666 111

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,889 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Already exists:
    1800 666 111

If greed is what motivates people to break rules then let greed work to keep people in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

If greed is what motivates people to break rules then let greed work to keep people in line.

I used to think sort of similarly. But the people have done more than their part at this point. We had a lot more businesses open just a couple months ago and with that a limited amount of what you could call normality. But the government f***ed it up when they changed the rules at xmas. It wasn't worth it.

Now apart from Dublin the rates are well down again and you want to go harder on people? F**k that. First thing to do is remove that stupid 5k limit. And then we need to ease restrictions on those counties with nearly zero daily cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,896 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We should hand out medals to lockdown violaters and put them on an honour roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Irish Film Board has wasted millions of € on little-seen rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

paw patrol wrote: »
    I keep hearing this ...

But ask yourself , do the spanish call them "expats" or "foreigners"?
    I don't know but I'll bet its not "ex pats"

Yeah tongue was placed firmly in cheek there. Same way Irish people in the US aren't illegal immigrants, they're ''undocumented''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People who don't use indicators when changing lanes and on roundabouts should be killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

People who don't use indicators when changing lanes and on roundabouts should be killed.
    Nothing unpopular about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

osarusan wrote: »
    Nothing unpopular about that!

Being killed is too good for them.

Came a stop at a red light this morning and without a care in the world a cyclist on the inside just went straight through and turned left and up on to the footpath and of course proceeds to continue on the footpath. Not a helmet in sight for good measure.

I am there secretly hoping he falls off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Came a stop at a red light this morning and without a care in the world a cyclist on the inside just went straight through and turned left and up on to the footpath and of course proceeds to continue on the footpath. Not a helmet in sight for good measure.

I am there secretly hoping he falls off.

Great thing about bikes is you can do stuff like this all the time and it's harmless. Best way to get around, you should try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Great thing about bikes is you can do stuff like this all the time and it's harmless. Best way to get around, you should try it!

Cyclists make cycling in Dublin so dangerous , when you have cycling supporters championing moronic behaviour like that as 'harmless' its easy to see why its so dangerous and cyclists are reviled by motorists and pedestrians alike.

Cyclists make cycling in Dublin so dangerous , when you have cycling supporters championing moronic behaviour like that as 'harmless' its easy to see why its so dangerous and cyclists are reviled by motorists and pedestrians alike.

I don't think it's dangerous at all, it can be unpleasant though when dealing with impatient motorists.
    No one likes us we don't care, just like Millwall.

I think it's the 'amateur' cyclists are the biggest concern. The lad weaving on the footpaths one handed and sometimes even texting at the same time unsually on an old mountain bike.

Not the Mr Lycra Lance Armstrong wannabe who cycles to work everyday and take himself awfully seriously.

I don't think it's dangerous at all, it can be unpleasant though when dealing with impatient motorists.
    No one likes us we don't care, just like Millwall.

Since you seem to represent all cyclists I want to make a request that you guys please don't cycle in the centre of the road. It makes it impossible to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I think it's the 'amateur' cyclists are the biggest concern. The lad weaving on the footpaths one handed and sometimes even texting at the same time unsually on an old mountain bike.

Not the Mr Lycra Lance Armstrong wannabe who cycles to work everyday and take himself awfully seriously.

In fairness most of the every day going to work chaps/lasses are grand - but every journey you meet the douchebag cyclist that makes you hate all of them.

Personally I stopped cycling due to the insane number of dimwits behind the wheel of a car, far more fools driving steel rams than there are bad cyclists.

I am irked as much as anyone when a cyclists cuts in front at lights only to break them etc. Especially since i gave it up haha.

• Advertisement

Since you seem to represent all cyclists I want to make a request that you guys please don't cycle in the centre of the road. It makes it impossible to pass.

I definitely will now! No but sometimes it's the safest thing to do.

In fairness most of the every day going to work chaps/lasses are grand - but every journey you meet the douchebag cyclist that makes you hate all of them.

Personally I stopped cycling due to the insane number of dimwits behind the wheel of a car, far more fools driving steel rams than there are bad cyclists.

I am irked as much as anyone when a cyclists cuts in front at lights only to break them etc. Especially since i gave it up haha.

Fair point. It's funny how people can feel like it's all down to one type of transport. Gob****es come in all forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Fair point. It's funny how people can feel like it's all down to one type of transport. Gob****es come in all forms.

And someone acting the àsshole in a car has the potential to do far more damage than someone acting the àsshole on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,896 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

6 food delivery cyclists have died in Oz in the last few months. i wonder if they rode and thought the same as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

And the bodies put on display in the middle of the roundabout they defiled with their careless driving. The Walkinstown roundabout will need sprinklers to deal with the constant flow of unclean blood.

cnocbui wrote: »
    6 food delivery cyclists have died in Oz in the last few months. i wonder if they rode and thought the same as you?

I've cycled in Oz and NZ, motorists hate cyclists there even more than here so I'm not surprised more people are killed. A bike turning left at a red light isn't dangerous though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

In general I've no issues with cyclists. However it does bug me a little when they cycle on the footpath. Particularly when there is a cycle lane on the road

Here's an unpopular opinion. Fine cars illegally parked on footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Esho

If i question a scrote who self identifies as a woman to go to a women's prison, I shouldn't be hounded out my job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭statto25

Here's an unpopular opinion. Fine cars illegally parked on footpaths.

Include cycle lanes in that

Advertisement