Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Antares35 wrote: »
    There should be a third and mandatory collection at mass to make donations to one in four or some other charity that helps survivors of abuse.

they should hand over the schools to the state and then still sell land holdings and art to pay for the abuse. It shouldn't come out of ordinary peoples pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

they should hand over the schools to the state and then still sell land holdings and art to pay for the abuse. It shouldn't come out of ordinary peoples pockets.

That sweetheart deal that Michael Woods negotiated for a fraction of the owed amount in 2002 should be binned (the religious orders have only paid out a small % of that amount, let alone the true figure) and a new structure replace it, up to and divestment and seizure of assets if the religious orders are going to continue to drag theire heels on compensating their victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Naw.
    The church should stump up, sell off their assets and raise the funds. Whatever.

It's on them and they should totally own all the shít they did, and not just with a barely whispered apology that costs them nothing.

I think they both should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Something I don't understand is how they haven't been compelled to do that yet. Are they just above the law or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Antares35 wrote: »
    Something I don't understand is how they haven't been compelled to do that yet. Are they just above the law or something?
    It's not as easy as that though. The 'church' is made up of a variety of orders, and one order can't be held accountable for the sins of another. Bon Secours are the order that was in charge of the Mother and Baby Home in Tuam, for example, whereas the Magdalene Laundry in Drumcondra in which a mass grave with 155 bodies was found was run by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd/ Sisters of Our Lady of Charity.

Various different and to some degree autonomous orders, and one not liable for anything outside its own order. You can't just extract compensation from one order for what the other did, much as we'd like to. Some of these orders have nothing to do with schools.

That said, the deal by TD Woods was an absolute f**king disgrace. The Sisters of Mercy, for example, own the land on which about 30-40 Irish schools are built, but also had some abuse scandals. That's an order that should have had the screw turned in every way they could.

In fact, every order guilty of anything should have the screw turned as much as possible, but again, liability just doesn't cross orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The back and forth between some football fans can be a bit juvenile.

Grown men coming out with the “us” can get a bit toe curling.

That said, people taking umbrage about people following British clubs need to ease up. You’d swear guys were bending to kiss the queens toes by cheering for MUFC, Liverpool or Arsenal and the like.

“What?!!!!!! *insert team here* were founded by a bunch of prods!!!!! Let me clutch my pearls as I run home to buy a season ticket for Shamrock Rovers”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Omackeral wrote: »
    People make all the excuses under the sun not to follow football teams from this country while simultaneously claiming themselves to be massive football fans. Some of these people have literally never been to see their team play.

You aren’t obliged to attend local games to prove you’re a massive fan. Forcing yourself to do something below par to be “holier than thou” about it?

I’d be a casual fan but I love going to games. The LOI thing is really really over romanticised by many folk especially when talked about in the same light as the Premier League. It’s like comparing a Fiat 500 to a Ferrari.

I have went to countless LOI games. Wexford Youths, Bohs, St Pats and UCD. It’s decent but given the chance to go EPL game it’s like night and game.

It really is the women’s football argument. It unfortunately is lesser. I don’t watch it for the same reason I don’t watch the Scottish third tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The best fans should go to games. Full stop. John who goes to all the games would reasonably be considered a bigger fan than Patrick who only goes once a decade.

Nobody thinks LOI is better than EPL. Plenty think going to games is better than watching on telly though. This is doubly true if you’ve made a routine of it and have built up rapports and matchday habits. That’s night and day for me. Having said that, plenty of people with an actual football culture instilled in them love the LOi. They enjoy the unsanitised version of events. Any given Friday night you’ll see people from everywhere in Dalymount Park. Germans, Brazilians and British people loving the throwback nature of the place. Few Scousers we met couldn’t believe the public actively ignored the league for such a “football mad” nation.

Personally, I found going to Manchester United a soulless experience. 63,000 people there and all I could hear was Spurs fans making noise. It was awful. While I’m no fan of the SPL, Celtic’s fans were positively raucous on Wednesday night vs lowly Falkirk. I’d much sooner go back to Celtic Park for a game.

Finally, no reason you can’t support both. Give LOI a chance on a couple of Friday nights in person. Continue to a watch EPL on a sat/sun. They rarely clash. If more people did that, we’d probably be better than domestically than the likes of Lithuania and Luxembourg, which at present we are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,538 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The best fans should go to games. Full stop. John who goes to all the games would reasonably be considered a bigger fan than Patrick who only goes once a decade.

Nobody thinks LOI is better than EPL. Plenty think going to games is better than watching on telly though. This is doubly true if you’ve made a routine of it and have built up rapports and matchday habits. That’s night and day for me. Having said that, plenty of people with an actual football culture instilled in them love the LOi. They enjoy the unsanitised version of events. Any given Friday night you’ll see people from everywhere in Dalymount Park. Germans, Brazilians and British people loving the throwback nature of the place. Few Scousers we met couldn’t believe the public actively ignored the league for such a “football mad” nation.

Personally, I found going to Manchester United a soulless experience. 63,000 people there and all I could hear was Spurs fans making noise. It was awful. While I’m no fan of the SPL, Celtic’s fans were positively raucous on Wednesday night vs lowly Falkirk. I’d much sooner go back to Celtic Park for a game.

Finally, no reason you can’t support both. Give LOI a chance on a couple of Friday nights in person. Continue to a watch EPL on a sat/sun. They rarely clash. If more people did that, we’d probably be better than domestically than the likes of Lithuania and Luxembourg, which at present we are not.

Some people literally don't have the time to support both ,

I'm a Liverpool fan and get over when I can but work and family duties means 2 or 3 times a year max but id be always well clued in on the goings on of f the club form youth level up & watch every game ,

Don't think the fact I cant make it to the ground as much as I'd like makes me any less of a fan

Been to plenty of LOI games over the years and you have decent day out but the standard off football is issues for me if I'm going to use up my time id rather watch a better standard ,

Although I do try to go every Ireland home game I can & that standard is enough to make you cry of late :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Been to plenty of LOI games over the years and you have decent day out but the standard off football is issues for me if I'm going to use up my time id rather watch a better standard

So if Liverpool slipped to League One or League Two you’d abandon them for another Prem team? Because that’s what the standard argument would suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭randd1

The "woke" who are trying make white people ashamed of their skin colour and blame them for all the world's ills, if not challenged on that viewpoint, are only going to succeed in making division between the races more prevalent as most white people will eventually say **** this and attach themselves to white pride groups.

The fact that the game here is so badly mismanaged, and has been for decades, probably doesn't help attract fans.

And that's not even taking into account the 'hoof it' style soccer that's coached here. It's turgid at times.

Also, there's serious competition from other sports. I'm a soccer fan, I've played it for years, I watch it on the telly, I'd follow it. But offer me a choice between a junior hurling match and premier league game, never mind a LOI game, and I'd go to the hurling every time, no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I find all these trips to Mars a complete load of bollocks. We have enough problems in the world and yet spending billions trips to mars.

So...let't say they find a minuscule of "life" or water...then what? Big deal.

Wrong priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I find all these trips to Mars a complete load of bollocks. We have enough problems in the world and yet spending billions trips to mars.

Wrong priorities.

Couldn't agree more.

Don't they say that large swathes of our oceans haven't been fully explored yet? So why don't they focus on discovering what's down there so? Imagine if the answers to all scientific conundrums were right under our noses all along.

No, instead they spend billions on determining how far away other galaxies, stars and planets are from us, so far away in fact that they'll never be of benefit to us.

Wrong priorities.

While that may be very true in one view, it's also easily forgotten the technology that's developed in order for these things to be possible that have very real applications on Earth.

Things like solar panels, fuel efficiency, computer technology, medical technologies and techniques, water recycling, materials development, all came from space programmes.

Even everyday things like non-scratch lenses, vacuum cleaners, wireless communication, smoke detectors, air purifiers, memory foam came from the programmes.

While the may cost a fortune, they certainly do have a massive impact on Earth.

Also, the possibility of water on other planets would be hugely significant for future exploration, not least the possibility of using Mars and its resources instead of Earth as a launch site for further exploration into the solar system.

As for the possible discovery of life outside of Earth, I don't think the impact of such a discovery could be underestimated...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Couldn't agree more.

Don't they say that large swathes of our oceans haven't been fully explored yet? So why don't they focus on discovering what's down there so? Imagine if the answers to all scientific conundrums were right under our noses all along.

No, instead they spend billions on determining how far away other galaxies, stars and planets are from us, so far away in fact that they'll never be of benefit to us.

The ocean floors aren't going to be habitable.

randd1 wrote: »
    While that may be very true in one view, it's also easily forgotten the technology that's developed in order for these things to be possible that have very real applications on Earth.

Things like solar panels, fuel efficiency, computer technology, medical technologies and techniques, water recycling, materials development, all came from space programmes.

Even everyday things like non-scratch lenses, vacuum cleaners, wireless communication, smoke detectors, air purifiers, memory foam came from the programmes.

While the may cost a fortune, they certainly do have a massive impact on Earth.

Also, the possibility of water on other planets would be hugely significant for future exploration, not least the possibility of using Mars and its resources instead of Earth as a launch site for further exploration into the solar system.

As for the possible discovery of life outside of Earth, I don't think the impact of such a discovery could be underestimated...

Don't get me wrong. I get all of that and I am all up for scientific endevour and exploration etc etc but at the same time I'm thinking "Really?"

It reminds me of an encyclopedia I have at home from 1971 belonging to my father. It has all sorts of notions about the future. By mid 1990s humans would be firmly entrenched on the moon and basically living there full time in some sort of lunar city with about 100k living here.

So if Liverpool slipped to League One or League Two you’d abandon them for another Prem team? Because that’s what the standard argument would suggest?

In league one they would still be playing higher stander football mate :rolleyes:

But of course id still be watching as then my loyalty would come into it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Templedon peck aka face man of the A team was the toughest of them , always getting stuck in regardless of his size and looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,736 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I want to emigrate because this country is a hole.

That should qualify as unpopular, i'd imagine. :)

• Advertisement

Here's an unpopular opinion ,

In the future we will see less and less gay men
    The current trend seems to be that young feminine males who in the past would grow up to be gay men are now being told by certain sections of society that they where simple born in the wrong body and should be Trans ,

Disclaimer iv no issues with either but it'll happen ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The current trend seems to be that young feminine males who in the past would grow up to be gay men are now being told by certain sections of society that they where simple born in the wrong body and should be Trans ,

Controversial. But I like the cut of your jib

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davidbeckham32

9/11 inside job

ShyMets wrote: »
    Controversial. But I like the cut of your jib

Strangely some claim towards the ends of multiple great civilisations from the past (examples Greek , Roman )there has been a constant theme of gender becoming some what fluid & a big topic of the day shortly before there demise ,
    Is it true I don't know I wasn't there ,If it was true did it effect the end, again I don't know I wasn't there ,

PS iv no issues with anyone or what they want to be

ShagNastii wrote: »

I’d be a casual fan but I love going to games. The LOI thing is really really over romanticised by many folk especially when talked about in the same light as the Premier League. It’s like comparing a Fiat 500 to a Ferrari.

I have went to countless LOI games. Wexford Youths, Bohs, St Pats and UCD. It’s decent but given the chance to go EPL game it’s like night and game.

I never heard anyone even the most diehard LOI fan compare the LOI to the EPL.

I live in England now and I have been to a lot of very very ****e games from the PL down to non league and everything in between. It's amazing how much better the same game looks on TV.

The main difference between League 1 or even bottom end Championship and the LOI is physicality and fitness (bigger, fitter and stronger). Hardly surprising as they are full time professionals unlike the LOI players.

Of course in the past 10 years or so with the influx of players into the PL this pushes the quality up in the Championship as players who would have been PL players and internationals are now playing Championship.

Well, I have always maintained that I am a lesbian in a man's body but better looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

9/11 inside job

It was either sheer incompetence or a cover up.

Rugby is the most mind numbingly boring game that was ever invented.

I went to a leinster game once, just to give it a chance and was so bored that I left at half time.

Couldn't agree more.

They are. The main reason that the deep ocean remains largely unexplored was due to the lack of technology.

This has advanced tremendously and tremendous strides have been made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Well, I have always maintained that I am a lesbian in a man's body but better looking.

I used to make that joke 15 years ago

Aheah of our time we are :-)

Advertisement