Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

t
    le bron james...always giving out about inequality. but wont at all mention china cos of the $$$.

and the fact that no one ever calls him on it

...because 99.9999% of people are complete and utter hypocrites including me and everyone reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Since when did secondary school children have a "union?"

Can they go on strike?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

american politics have made this thread worse.

not sure if this is an unpopular opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

The dominating Twitter persona of Irish 20 somethings is broken down into 4 traits

1. Sinn Fein supporter
    2. Smokes rollies
    3. Talks about Guinness
    4. Tattooed

Furthermore, their use of the word Tan is infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cms88

Shoelaces wrote: »
    The dominating Twitter persona of Irish 20 somethings is broken down into 4 traits

1. Sinn Fein supporter
    2. Smokes rollies
    3. Talks about Guinness
    4. Tattooed

Don't forget he/him or she/her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Impeaching someone is removing them from office. How can that arise when they have already left?

There is nothing to impeach.

Seems dead in the water.
    You underestimate the level of Democrat hatred against the man. Really sad because news reports are proving Trump had absolutely nothing to do with the riots and violence in DC. But Democrats don't care about the truth, they are fueled and driven simply by hatred. It's a sickness, really.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

notobtuse wrote: »
    You underestimate the level of Democrat hatred against the man. Really sad because news reports are proving Trump had absolutely nothing to do with the riots and violence in DC. But Democrats don't care about the truth, they are fueled and driven simply by hatred. It's a sickness, really.

To say he had absolutely nothing to do with it is stretching it bigtime. He has fanned the flames constantly since November. He held a rally beforehand and told the mob to march on the Capitol. He would have known or at least those in his circle knew that violence was highly likely.

If Trump came out in November and accepted the results with good grace do you really think last Wednesday would have happened? No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Since when did secondary school children have a "union?"

Can they go on strike?

Yeah, do you not remember the last asti strikes, a lot of students went on strike too. For most of is it was for the doss but I could see it angering parents which in turn could put pressure on the teaching unions

cms88 wrote: »
    Don't forget he/him or she/her

God?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ffs I came here to argue with a kid about a factually incorrect opinion on music and it seems to be deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Ffs I came here to argue with a kid about a factually incorrect opinion on music and it seems to be deleted.

posting an unpopular opinion in an unpopular opinion thread has upset people in the past....imagine that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

posting an unpopular opinion in an unpopular opinion thread has upset people in the past....imagine that. :D

Facts are important though, no point having opinions based on bad data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Shoelaces wrote: »

1. Sinn Fein supporter
    2. Smokes rollies
    3. Talks about Guinness
    4. Tattooed

The dominant Boards persona of late can be summed up in a five second YouTube video.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

.anon. wrote: »
    The dominant Boards persona of late can be summed up in a five second YouTube video.

This was coming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

camels_doctors_whiteshirt.webp

Let's not blame science, humans are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

growleaves wrote: »
    camels_doctors_whiteshirt.webp

That ad was paid for and created by a cigarette company. It in no way claims that doctors are recommending smoking, it simply states that of doctors who smoke, the majority smoke a particular brand.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Multiple posts quoting the troll deleted, folks don't feed it, report. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

This may or may not be popular here but I know in certain circles this is a very unpopular opinion.

A lot of the people travelled home from England to Ireland for the Christmas holidays. I can understand those visiting isolated parents after they spent some time in quarantine. What I can't understand or condone is the multitude of people posting on Irish in England Facebook groups giving tips on getting around the covid quarantine rules and flight bans. Furthermore, a lot of these people state that they'll visit their parents and "all of their friends". These people are responsible for the new death and infection rates in Ireland. Some people seem to think that making a personal sacrifice tp abstain from seeing family and all their friends is too much for them. There's some truly selfish people out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

People using the findings of the Mother and Baby Homes report as a tool make themselves look righteous.
    They are undignified and classless pieces of excrement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

steddyeddy wrote: »
    This may or may not be popular here but I know in certain circles this is a very unpopular opinion.

A lot of the people travelled home from England to Ireland for the Christmas holidays. I can understand those visiting isolated parents after they spent some time in quarantine. What I can't understand or condone is the multitude of people posting on Irish in England Facebook groups giving tips on getting around the covid quarantine rules and flight bans. Furthermore, a lot of these people state that they'll visit their parents and "all of their friends". These people are responsible for the new death and infection rates in Ireland. Some people seem to think that making a personal sacrifice tp abstain from seeing family and all their friends is too much for them. There's some truly selfish people out there.

The only thing these people will understand is the big stick, and the law has been very slow in this regard.
    Peer pressure could play a part but we are told not to "shame" anyone these days because it could lead to hurt feelings, bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Your Face wrote:
    People using the findings of the Mother and Baby Homes report as a tool make themselves look righteous. They are undignified and classless pieces of excrement.

Id say it was done due to pressure from the public in fairness, they definitely could handle it better, but it's a horrendous part of our history, disturbing in fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Id say it was done due to pressure from the public in fairness, they definitely could handle it better, but it's a horrendous part of our history, disturbing in fact

My post has nothing to do with publication of the report itself.

I'm talking about people using it to promote themselves in a certain way.

Your Face wrote:
    I'm talking about people using it to promote themselves in a certain way.

I'm not sure what you mean, someone has to communicate it, and that should include politicians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Stephen Donnelly is a much more capable Minister for Health than Simon Harris.7

The whole mother and baby homes scandal is more about compensation than anything else, in effect, money.

Stephen Donnelly is a much more capable Minister for Health than Simon Harris.7

The whole mother and baby homes scandal is more about compensation than anything else, in effect, money.

no its not, its about justice and acceptance

I guess one issue is that everyone is quick to extoll their virtue by condemning the institution, the government and use the emotive subject to push an agenda, be it anti catholic or political anti ff/fg etc.

However we are responsible because we as a society choose to participate in the ostracization of "illegitimate" pregnancy and other conservative beliefs. We are not sheep, we are responsible for everything that happens in our society. The institutions only had power in so much as we were willing to give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I guess one issue is that everyone is quick to extoll their virtue by condemning the institution, the government and use the emotive subject to push an agenda, be it anti catholic or political anti ff/fg etc.

However we are responsible because we as a society choose to participate in the ostracization of "illegitimate" pregnancy and other conservative beliefs. We are not sheep, we are responsible for everything that happens in our society. The institutions only had power in so much as we were willing to give them.

True enough. None of us might have taken part in the scandal and we might see everything that went on a a completely wrong. But, we aren’t so much more clever than the people back then, who knew what was happening and did nothing. They were influenced by (subject to) the morals of their time and we are influenced by (subject to) the morals of our time.

We’re not so much more clever than the people of 50 years ago. We can bang on about how obvious the crimes against the mothers and babies were, but we would have done the same as the people at the time.

It’s a very important lesson about human nature and it’s absolutely imperative that it be brought to light as a warning about what humans will do to each other if not for a concerted effort to behave well.

The unpopular opinion for Boards: moving away from treating mothers and babies as they did was seen in the same sentiment as “PC gone mad” today (though that particular phrase didn’t exist yet). Most of the things that are seen as PC gone mad will be equally obvious in years to come. The people who oppose progress now would have opposed changes to the mother and baby homes back then too. Some people just oppose progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,191 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    no its not, its about justice and acceptance

And money..

Money always rears its head..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

walshb wrote: »
    And money..

Money always rears its head..

Yeah but that’s how the state can demonstrate that it’s sorry for something. A faceless civil servant, who had nothing to do with the mother and baby homes, telling the victims that they are sorry, is pretty meaningless. If we, as a society are actually sorry and want to make amends with the victims, the we pay tax to give them some money as compensation alongside an apology.

I’ll pay tax to compensate those people for the terrible experiences given to them by my government and my society. Giving them money is a pretty normal method of compensation. It’s not a sign of a conspiracy

Advertisement