Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I am living in the us, so it mostly just applies here.

Why are these covid relief bills so unanimously supported? Perhaps the question is rhetorical, as it's human nature I suppose. Immediate gratification and buying votes. Republicans and democrats falling over themselves to spend unprecedented money by borrowing. Is nobody concerned? Who will pay?

Middle class workers, professionals, the tax payers. We carry the world on our backs and they just keep riding it harder. And they are so indignant about what they are entitled to. I believe in social care, but there is a hard line, when the ledger does not add up. Trillions after trillions, we will be taxed like europeans in short. And how is the money spent? A 2k cheque to everyone earning less than 75k. They didn't even try to target it. And when the tax won't pay for it, I am sure inflation will. Why do I even bother trying to maximise my income? I might aswell retire early. Let's disincentivise productivity, that will help us compete with regimes that value human life as a mere commodity, an economic reckoning is coming followed by a lowering of standards that will challenge human rights. We messed it up, take your 2k now and wonder why your standard of living and freedoms are on a par with a Chinese citizen in 30 years.
    The same could apply to Ireland. The ledger doesn't add up but the country still acts like the working people in Ireland are all millionaires and can well afford to support those who chose not to work but demand the same lifestyle. The difference between the US and Ireland is that those able-bodied here who do not work often have a better quality of life than the worker. Our standard of living will greatly diminish in the years to come. Someone has to pay this enormous pandemic bill that will be put on our table very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Kivaro wrote: »
    The same could apply to Ireland. The ledger doesn't add up but the country still acts like the working people in Ireland are all millionaires and can well afford to support those who chose not to work but demand the same lifestyle. The difference between the US and Ireland is that those able-bodied here who do not work often have a better quality of life than the worker. Our standard of living will greatly diminish in the years to come. Someone has to pay this enormous pandemic bill that will be put on our table very soon.

Xouldnt agree more. The current situation where there is a constant campaign particularly in the broadcast media, and amongst populist politicians, which is almost all of them, is sure to eventually end in economic ruin.Why cant these people see, we all have to justify ourselves economically, apart from those who are genuinely unable to do so, as opposed to those who make a lifestyle choice

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Xouldnt agree more. The current situation where there is a constant campaign particularly in the broadcast media, and amongst populist politicians, which is almost all of them, is sure to eventually end in economic ruin.Why cant these people see, we all have to justify ourselves economically, apart from those who are genuinely unable to do so, as opposed to those who make a lifestyle choice

And it’s the lifestyle choicers that seem to moan the most about the government

• Registered Users Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

..Republicans and democrats falling over themselves to spend unprecedented money by borrowing. Is nobody concerned?..:

Your republicans will become very concerned, very quickly, once they’re not handing out the cheques.

Remember the Tea Party and its concern about the deficit when Obama was in charge? They haven’t said a word in opposition to the republican president running the government with massive deficits but those “patriots” will definitely be concerned about a democrat president doing the same thing after 20 Jan. They’ll oppose sending any more cheques to people during covid - depending on the president’s party, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Your republicans will become very concerned, very quickly, once they’re not handing out the cheques.

Remember the Tea Party and its concern about the deficit when Obama was in charge? They haven’t said a word in opposition to the republican president running the government with massive deficits but those “patriots” will definitely be concerned about a democrat president doing the same thing after 20 Jan. They’ll oppose sending any more cheques to people during covid - depending on the president’s party, of course.

They are so ridiculously hypocritical, for the first one, the cares act, one libertarian asked if they should at least have a vote on the greatest spending bill in the history of the world. Trump suggested he should be ejected from the republican party.

We are being led by teenagers in geriatric bodies.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/28/822969308/-2-trillion-coronavirus-relief-bill-presents-a-reckoning-for-libertarians

And that was just the first giveaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Do you remember when we were all aghast at the unprecedented 1 trillion defecit and what it meant? Well you can add another 3 trillion to that. Wtf are we doing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,010 ✭✭✭✭walshb

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Giving money to charity in general is a nonsense. Fools and their money are easily parted.

Some charities do marvelous work and are needed

I have always been skeptical with these Irish people setting up charities to help people thousands of miles away....

It just does not add up....

Something not genuine....seems to be more about egos and white chiefs....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

a large number of people who whinge about the price of housing in dublin are really just spoiled and refuse to live any way other than how they imagined their future when they were 18.

they decided they'd get a degree and then they'd get a nice job and a nice house within the m50, probably somewhere near where they grew up. because thats just how it works.

then they didn't. because it doesn't work that way.

now when you ask them why dont they move to a cheaper county further out they say 'theres no jobs'. well in fact there are jobs in the small towns, just not the jobs they pictured.

so really they just consider themselves too good. and rather than getting a dull job in a small town and having reasonable rent they'd rather piss and moan. they wont even consider, wont even imagine or think that they might not live within the m50 let alone dublin.

wah wah the rent is too high.
    - so move to athlone, heres a job in a sawmill.
    how dare you, im not some bogger. i have a cs degree so im physically incapable of manual work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Or too romantic or too Hallmark?

The UK is the same. Johnson is probably going to relax the rule of 6 for Christmas day. He's not going to relax the virus ability to transmit, he's just going to tell people it's OK for them to meet in large groups on Christmas day.

What he won't say is that obviously the virus will spread wider on that day because more people will be together, sitting around the table together and enjoying the relaxed rules for the day.

But... We've "Saved Christmas"!

Yes we saved Christmas!
    But too Disney or too religious, too romantic or too Hallmark?
    No. Just too thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Christmas should have been cancelled this year. Wouldn't be still in this ****e now. It's coming up to almost a year of ****e.

• Advertisement

The reason the bass is lower in the mix on Metallica’s ride the lightning and master of puppets albums is because as a finger style player the material was a little too complex for his style and he would have delivered better tracks using a plec

This also gives insight to why James and lars removed (turned down)Jasons tracks on Ajfa. ( he used a plec and his tracks were crystal)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Folks take your site and forum feedback to the feedback forum. Number of posts in that vein deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I have sympathy for people on the dole who come from under-privileged backgrounds. Perhaps they come from a single-parent family with little income coming into the household, or even from a line of wasters, so they can't help the circumstances they were reared in.

However, I have no time for people on the dole from well-respected families, who went to college to study a pointless degree, and whom are still "finding themselves" well into their 20s. Very often they are on the arts scene and were molly-coddled growing up.

The latter category is worse than the former (although I accept a lot of those in the former do fall into crime and aren't for changing)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Gemma O'Doherty Should be locked up.

I have sympathy for people on the dole who come from under-privileged backgrounds. Perhaps they come from a single-parent family with little income coming into the household, or even from a line of wasters, so they can't help the circumstances they were reared in.

However, I have no time for people on the dole from well-respected families, who went to college to study a pointless degree, and whom are still "finding themselves" well into their 20s. Very often they are on the arts scene and were molly-coddled growing up.

The latter category is worse than the former (although I accept a lot of those in the former do fall into crime and aren't for changing)
    I think this would be a fairly popular opinion.

Im not sure it is that common though. Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Gemma O'Doherty Should be locked up.

The only problem is, she'd feckin love to be made a martyr of. Locked up and nobody told about it so she can't bleat on about how she is being victimised and tortured - now that would be great :D

Antares35 wrote: »
    The only problem is, she'd feckin love to be made a martyr of. Locked up and nobody told about it so she can't bleat on about how she is being victimised and tortured - now that would be great :D

I take your point. But as far as i am concerned.
    She can do what she likes.

The days of free reign on hate speech need to be over.

Now the above is an unpopular opinion.

We have seen in the states what being soft with facists does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Too many Irish people spend far too much time getting unreasonably worked up over American issues.

It's like they get all of the emotional investment, the anger and despair, the soaring highs of success, without any of the power to actually participate through voting or volunteering etc.

We routinely ignore horrible stuff happening in less fashionable parts of the world but a few morons cause a bit of trouble in Washington and the reaction all the way over here in Ireland is "there should be capital punishment for some of those post-human filth".

You'd be forgiven for thinking that the stuff happening over there is taking place right on our doorsteps here. Even when we have our own problems to deal with there are some who seem to care more about that Trump has been up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,371 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Too many Irish people spend far too much time getting unreasonably worked up over American issues.

It's like they get all of the emotional investment, the anger and despair, the soaring highs of success, without any of the power to actually participate through voting or volunteering etc.

We routinely ignore horrible stuff happening in less fashionable parts of the world but a few morons cause a bit of trouble in Washington and the reaction all the way over here in Ireland is "there should be capital punishment for some of those post-human filth".

You'd be forgiven for thinking that the stuff happening over there is taking place right on our doorsteps here. Even when we have our own problems to deal with there are some who seem to care more about that Trump has been up to.

Yeah it depends what the media focuses on and the media focus on what sells. America is sexy in the eyes of many Irish people. They watch American TV/Films entertainment. Following politics over there is just another offshoot of it. I do not get the the hysteria over something that people cannot influence as you say #notmypresident etc.

Yet the war in Sudan got limited coverage in the Irish media. To the extent that I had to research it myself to figure out what it was all about. Even the basics.

The DR of Congo was another one which got/gets limited coverage.
    Yet there has been decades long wars/civil wars and constant conflict. It is not sexy enough or relatable for the Irish media to take any interest in.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Yeah it depends what the media focuses on and the media focus on what sells. America is sexy in the eyes of many Irish people. They watch American TV/Films entertainment. Following politics over there is just another offshoot of it. I do not get the the hysteria over something that people cannot influence as you say #notmypresident etc.

Yet the war in Sudan got limited coverage in the Irish media. To the extent that I had to research it myself to figure out what it was all about. Even the basics.

Yet there has been decades long wars/civil wars and constant conflict. It is not sexy enough or relatable for the Irish media to take any interest in.

Obviously people will discuss the situation in the USA, with them being a very powerful country and all that comes with that.

The thing that gets me is the aggressiveness with which people argue on American issues. You'd think from an Irish perspective conversation on US politics would be a lot calmer and a bit more matter of fact.

Instead you have posters sugggesting the death penalty for protesters on the other side of the world.

As the Trump Era comes to an end, I think its interesting to consider that many parts of this Ireland centric forum dedicated four to five years of passionate, aggressive and very often over the top fighting for basically nothing. There was no WW3. Trumps America didn't follow the paths of Nazi Germany.

I wonder how much it really even impacted us over here at all. Just a lot of time and energy wasted, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Obviously people will discuss the situation in the USA, with them being a very powerful country and all that comes with that.

The thing that gets me is the aggressiveness with which people argue on American issues. You'd think from an Irish perspective conversation on US politics would be a lot calmer and a bit more matter of fact.

Instead you have posters sugggesting the death penalty for protesters on the other side of the world.

As the Trump Era comes to an end, I think its interesting to consider that many parts of this Ireland centric forum dedicated four to five years of passionate, aggressive and very often over the top fighting for basically nothing. There was no WW3. Trumps America didn't follow the paths of Nazi Germany.

I wonder how much it really even impacted us over here at all. Just a lot of time and energy wasted, in my opinion.

As bad as Trump was, at least he didn't start any new wars.

Hilary would've been bombing the shıt out of poor brown people somewhere because the bombs bring prosperity obviously.

99nsr125 wrote: »

Hilary would've been bombing the shıt out of poor brown people somewhere because the bombs bring prosperity obviously.

USA needed this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

By the time the piper has to be paid, these politicians are sitting pretty on gold plated pensions

• Registered Users Posts: 55,010 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Talk about setting the bar low..

You think war is just to do with authorising physical attacks and invasions?

All Trump did since elected is war, divide, polarise, spread hate and hostility..

An absolute monster, who wouldn’t think twice about annihilating people as long as it’s in his interest. And has said as much!!

walshb wrote: »
    Talk about setting the bar low..

You think war is just to do with authorising physical attacks and invasions?

All Trump did since elected is war, divide, polarise, spread hate and hostility..

An absolute monster, who wouldn’t think twice about annihilating people as long as it’s in his interest. And has said as much!!

Hilary set the bar that low all on her own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭4Ad

Thats why I put on Euronews and Al Jazeera to get different views and stories, not the usual Sky/Rte 'news'...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

4Ad wrote: »
    Thats why I put on Euronews and Al Jazeera to get different views and stories, not the usual Sky/Rte 'news'...

I’d not heard of EuroNews till in the bar at Dublin Airport at 5am and it was on there - can heartily recommend.

Not tried Al Jazeera but it’s on the Sky box so will take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Trump and Pompeo very close to starting one in Iran. Trump sees wars as wasting money and is correct. Still he would have started a new middle east war if Israel asked him. There was chatter he asked for options to bomb Iran nuclear sites, and alleged he got talked out it by the Pentagon.

Trump and Pompeo very close to starting one in Iran. Trump sees wars as wasting money and is correct. Still he would have started a new middle east war if Israel asked him. There was chatter he asked for options to bomb Iran nuclear sites, and alleged he got talked out it by the Pentagon.

Still didn't start a war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Still didn't start a war

Do civil wars count?

Advertisement