Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Youtuber - cold shower punishment for 2 yr old

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

They do that too. :) My mother did. And ice baths etc. Very common.

My mom gave me cold baths as a baby.

https://ownyourhealth.me/2008/07/01/cold-water-for-babies/

https://ownyourhealth.me/2008/07/01/cold-water-for-babies/

They do it in frozen rivers too.

I thought you said that your mother didn't do it as punishment?

Oh, and that link advocates dunking for a few seconds. Not bathing or showering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sardonicat wrote: »

No. I didn't exactly like them either though.

But what is the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Well when I was growing up a cold shower wasn't a punishment a hot shower was a reward

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Intent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

If they see it as a punishment they are knowingly forcing discomfort on the child.

Intent.

I am sure the parents intent is to get the child to sleep in a healthy bed not full of human excrement.

Maybe they aren't doing it the right way. But that is probably their intent.

dickangel wrote: »
    If they see it as a punishment they are knowingly forcing discomfort on the child.

What is wrong with forcing some discomfort on a child ?

Is that wrong?

I mean i don't know but is it? Truly all discomfort?

Oh, and that link advocates dunking for a few seconds. Not bathing or showering.
    https://siberiantimes.com/healthandlifestyle/others/news/like-ducks-to-water-in-the-snow-keeping-kids-healthy-siberian-style/

Bathing and showering. Partic in cold temps.

Its probably because you guys have never seen it or experienced it you just don't get it.

And how could you. You don't understand. I don't blame you.

Do these children look abused to you?

2Wkvs.jpg

2Wkvt.jpg

They are throwing buckets of freezing water over themselves in the snow ..in winter in siberia...in swimming costumes. And they seem kind fine about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I am sure the parents intent is to get the child to sleep in a healthy bed not full of human excrement.

Allegedly the parents in this case though, admitted their intent was to punish the child.

I do see where you’re coming from though and if their intent wasn’t to punish the child, then I’d be more understanding of the fact that their intent was not to punish the child.

• Advertisement

If he beat the child for the same reason would you still think it was OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

No it isn't. And you know it isn't.

The definition of arguing in bad faith.

Is that wrong?

Well, I'm not sure. Would you agree with slapping a child? It would be just as harmless physically.

The supposed health benefits of cold showers are completely irrelevant to the discussion. They are doing it to punish, to cause discomfort.

If he beat the child for the same reason would you still think it was OK?

A very light smack yes.

Anything more no.

Well, I'm not sure. Would you agree with slapping a child? It would be just as harmless physically.

The supposed health benefits of cold showers are completely irrelevant to the discussion. They are doing it to punish, to cause discomfort.
    A very light smack as i have said yes.

Like a spank etc.

And yes I was spanked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

No its not.

Its totally normal in cold countries. Russia Ukraine Norway Poland Iceland etc. They all do it.

Its proven to be healthy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21537988

https://time.com/4048219/how-to-parent-like-a-russian/

You are seriously over reacting.

It prevents disease. Good for the immune system.

Your missing the part where they wrap the kids up in layers before leaving them outside. Babies are left outside or brought for a walk for fresh air, but are wrapped up in clothing suitable for low temperatures, just like how every other Russian or Nordic person is dressed for the weather.

Fresh air is good for the immune system is the though process, much better than being left inside a room with 20-30 other kids. Being left in freezing cold conditions isn't good for the child and good luck finding any Russian or Nordic person who'll tell you it's a good idea. Grown Russian women won't sit on the ground or on a wall outside in the middle of summer because it might freeze their reproductive systems. Their isn't a hope in hell they'll leave their child out in the cold without a proper coat and blanket.

No it isn't. And you know it isn't.

The definition of arguing in bad faith.

You think they just want to do it for the heck of it?

https://siberiantimes.com/healthandlifestyle/others/news/like-ducks-to-water-in-the-snow-keeping-kids-healthy-siberian-style/

Bathing and showering. Partic in cold temps.

Its probably because you guys have never seen it or experienced it you just don't get it.

And how could you. You don't understand. I don't blame you.

Do these children look abused to you?

What the fug has that photo got to do with a toddler being put into a cold shower as punishment?

And yes, they do look abused to me.

What the fug has that photo got to do with a toddler being put into a cold shower as punishment?
    GUYS

Its the UK ..in AUGUST ..INDOORS ...the child will be put in a towel and dressed probably after about 60 seconds.

This is SIBERIA. In winter ...

2Wkvt.jpg

The kids in the picture are having fun so the toddler being shoved into the cold shower must be too. Or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Couldn't tell you without being psychic.

That being said, I don't understand the mindset of people abuse kids (or anyone) anyway so that doesn't prove a whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What's this about a bed full of excrement?

Is that wrong?

Depends on the context/intent.
    To punish, as they said.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    What's this about a bed full of excrement?

Depends on the context/intent.

To punish, as they said.
    What is punishment for? To correct.

Because it's not being forced on them as punishment? As far as we know...

Your comparison with kids playing in the snow to a toddler being punished with a cold shower is a false one.

Imagine kids swimming in a pool and having fun, then imagine parents tossing a toddler in the pool when they don't want to go in. Not the same is it?

The kids in the picture are having fun so the toddler being shoved into the cold shower must be too. Or something?
    Those children are in deepest siberia. Throwing buckets of freezing water over themselves.
    One poster is claiming they look abused. :rolleyes:

The saccone joly child is indoors in the UK in August. They probably gave her a cold shower for 60 secs and then dried her off and dressed her.

a cold shower is hardly child abuse

'mom' is word you dont see a lot from irish people

thats two observations id make

Because it's not being forced on them as punishment? As far as we know...

Your comparison with kids playing in the snow to a toddler being punished with a cold shower is a false one.

Imagine kids swimming in a pool and having fun, then imagine parents tossing a toddler in the pool when they don't want to go in. Not the same is it?

Oh i had to do it as a kid. I got no choice. It was like putting your toe in the swimming pool. You had to go in you didn't like it at first.

Those children are being given FREEZING showers in siberia outdoors in winter in the snow.

You have just never seen it so you think it always has to be this big dramatic event where children cry. It isnt.

And of course you all think you know so much better. These children must be abused.

And I am sure if the child was really upset by it they would simply try something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

a cold shower is hardly child abuse
    It's not a reasonable punishment for a two-year-old, is all people are saying.

Advertisement