Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Youtuber - cold shower punishment for 2 yr old

Options
  • 19-08-2019 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Guys ....a very well known Irish YouTuber has posted a vlog this week talking about how they use COLD showers as punishment for their 2 year old child. They have since released a statement saying it was “tepid water” and the vlog has been edited to remove the content. Luckily the clip is still available online, along with other videos where their older daughter talks about giving her doll a cold shower because she was bold!

I can’t believe that YouTube and the Irish media are doing nothing about it! In fact, anyone that has mentioned it on Instagram has received legal letters telling them not to mention it!

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Who gives a ****. How about you get upset and offended at something worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

LellsBells wrote: »
    Guys ....a very well known Irish YouTuber has posted a vlog this week talking about how they use COLD showers as punishment for their 2 year old child. They have since released a statement saying it was “tepid water” and the vlog has been edited to remove the content. Luckily the clip is still available online, along with other videos where their older daughter talks about giving her doll a cold shower because she was bold!

I can’t believe that YouTube and the Irish media are doing nothing about it! In fact, anyone that has mentioned it on Instagram has received legal letters telling them not to mention it!

What are your thoughts on this?

Wouldnt be mentioning it so.
    No siree, Roger wont be lawyering up

Moronic, self-absorbed & irresponsible vlogger draws in equally stupid followers. C'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If I was aware of the existence of a ‘well known Irish YouTuber’, and unselfconsciously used the word ‘vlog’, well...

... I’d have to go and take a long hard look at myself to figure out where my life went wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Who is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Judging by your post are you not just doing exactly that? Especially the upset bit as you do seem upset....you ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What in the bejesus is going on with the above woman?!

I don't get the social media influencer thing either but go easy on the OP - it is an awful thing to do, if true. Why dismiss it because it's an influencer?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Raconteuse wrote: »
    What in the bejesus is going on with the above woman?!

I don't get the social media influencer thing either but go easy on the OP - it is an awful thing to do, if true. Why dismiss it because it's an influencer?
    Is it an awful thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If it's illegal the Guards will get on it, if not, I couldn't give less of a rattling fück.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Years ago there was no hot water.
    So cold shave and cold bath for disobedient snappers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 LellsBells

Moronic, self-absorbed & irresponsible vlogger draws in equally stupid followers. C'est la vie.

Yep, I’d normally agree, if there wasn’t a baby involved.

Is it an awful thing to do?
    Punishing a two-year-old with cold showers? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LellsBells

I’m not offended

Punishing a two-year-old with cold showers? Yes.
    No it isn't. And its not your family.

I had to have them as a kid. Not for punishment but my mom felt it was healthy. I survived.

Also she would leave me out in the cold to take naps in winter ...and that is proven to be healthy.

There is more about it here.

https://givedirectcharity.org/2019/03/06/why-orphanages-should-have-cold-and-hot-showers-for-children/

COld water for babies

https://ownyourhealth.me/2008/07/01/cold-water-for-babies/

In my opinion it is, in your opinion it isn't - and I think most people would agree it is. This is a two-year-old child. Two.

What relevance does it not being my family have? You could say that about anything. If someone beats their child "Oh you can't comment - it's not your family." Illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The NSPCC n police will kick their ass hopefully

bC2qGgr.png

In my opinion it is, in your opinion it isn't - and I think most people would agree it is. This is a two-year-old child. Two.

What relevance does it not being my family have? You could say that about anything. If someone beats their child "Oh you can't comment - it's not your family." Illogical.
    My family bathed both of us as babies in cold water. Its totally normal in some countries.

I had to have them as a kid. Not for punishment but my mom felt it was healthy. I survived.

Also she would leave me out in the cold to take naps in winter ...and that is proven to be healthy.

https://givedirectcharity.org/2019/0...-for-children/

COld water for babies

https://ownyourhealth.me/2008/07/01/...er-for-babies/

Cold showers for children cold baths for babies ..napping out in winter was totally normal for me. My mom too.

You are way over reacting.

And they say it was tepid water.

My mom straight up bathed me in FREEZING water. It didn't traumatize me but i remember. It wasn't anything to do with punishment.

https://givedirectcharity.org/2019/03/06/why-orphanages-should-have-cold-and-hot-showers-for-children/

COld water for babies

Yeah it wasn't for punishment as you said. Putting a small child out in the cold for naps is bizarre. I think it's nonsensical how some parents wrap their children up as if it's January when it's a mild summer's day, as it's bound to compromise their tolerance of lower temperatures but that's far too much to the other extreme.

I'm not over reacting. Your outlook is skewed.

They said it was tepid water after being called out.

Putting a small child out in the cold for naps is bizarre.
    No its not.

Its totally normal in cold countries. Russia Ukraine Norway Poland Iceland etc. They all do it.

Its proven to be healthy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21537988

https://time.com/4048219/how-to-parent-like-a-russian/

You are seriously over reacting.

It prevents disease. Good for the immune system.
    Would you put your baby or toddler outside in the freezing cold for their lunchtime nap? Most Nordic parents wouldn't give it a second thought. For them it's part of their daily routine.
    Daytime temperatures this winter in Stockholm have regularly dropped to -5C (23F) but it's still common to see children left outside by their parents for a sleep in the pram.
    Wander through the snowy city and you'll see buggies lined up outside coffee shops while parents sip on lattes inside.
    And if you are visiting friends and your child needs a nap, you may be offered the garden or balcony instead of a bedroom.
    "I think it's good for them to be in the fresh air as soon as possible," says Lisa Mardon, a mother-of-three from Stockholm, who works for a food distribution company.
    When the temperature drops to -15C we always cover the prams with blanketsBrittmarie Carlzon, Pre-school head teacher
    "Especially in the winter when there's lots of diseases going around... the kids seem healthier."
    Her children have been sleeping outside since they were born.
    The youngest, Alfred, is two and she puts him outside in the pram to nap once a day, for an hour and a half. When he was younger he slept outside twice a day.
    This isn't a recent fashion. Lisa's mother, Gunilla, now 61, says she also did it with Lisa when she was a baby.
    "Yes we were doing it back then as well… It was important for her to get fresh air and stay healthy," Gunilla says.

Please stop being so ridiculous.

Its not bizarre as you put it at all.

My grandmother did it my mother did and my mother did it with me.

• Advertisement

No its not.

Its totally normal in cold countries. Russia Ukraine Norway Poland Iceland etc. They all do it.

Its proven to be healthy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21537988

https://time.com/4048219/how-to-parent-like-a-russian/

You are seriously over reacting.

It prevents disease. Good for the immune system.

Please stop being so ridiculous.
    This is not a Nordic or Baltic country and how about you please stop telling someone with just a different opinion that they are over-reacting and being ridiculous.

Also it is used as a punishment in this case.

This is not a Nordic or Baltic country and how about you please stop telling someone with just a different opinion that they are over-reacting and being ridiculous.

No don't start that with me. This is in the uk but it happens here too.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/parents-charged-8-hour-nursery-11967664

Parents charged 8 euro-an-hour at nursery where babies sleep outside in all weather 'because it's healthier'

Experienced childminder Hannah Rosalie claims infants should be left to sleep wrapped up outdoors even in the cold because they will nap for longer and be less susceptible to colds

Its not bizarre.

My grandmother did my mother did and my mother did with me.

Its very normal.

We are not bizarre people. There is some sense to it.

T you please stop telling someone with just a different opinion that they are over-reacting and being ridiculous.
    Having an opinion is something like ..hmm i think that is abuse i wouldn't do that on my own child.

Not I must report this family for child abuse because they do things a different way. I have to condemn them.

Different parents do things differently.

I wouldn't do it with my own child as a punishment. I will put them outside for naps though and cold to hot showers when the dr says they are ready. I am sure people will think i am abusing my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

No don't start that with me. This is in the uk but it happens here too.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/parents-charged-8-hour-nursery-11967664

Its not bizarre.

My grandmother did my mother did and my mother did with me.

Its very normal.

We are not bizarre people. There is some sense to it.

Sounds like pseudoscience.

Any scientific data as opposed to the testimony of an "experienced childminder"?

"Babies are being encouraged to sleep outside." Do they ask their preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The difference ILYV is that for you it wasn’t intended as punishment, whereas for the child in this particular case, the parents intended it as punishment.

Though I’m half given to thinking it’s a ploy to generate drama tbh. The people involved don’t strike me as the sharpest tools in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

dickangel wrote: »

You misspelled bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

... Just Asking Questions.

dickangel wrote: »
    Its really not. They sleep longer.

Every country with a cold climate does it en masse. Baltics Scandanavia Eastern Europe Russia etc. All kindergardens.

Really developed countries just so you don't think its some crazy slav thing Sweden Finland Norway etc.

Same with cold showers.

They are trying to encourage it now in the uk.

Better than stale air and sleeping surrounded by plastic toys. Smell one of them. Smell the walls. All the paint etc chemicals. A few hrs of fresh air perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Its really not. They sleep longer.

Every country with a cold climate does it en masse. Baltics Scandanavia Eastern Europe Russia etc. All kindergardens.

Really developed countries just so you don't think its some crazy slav thing Sweden Finland Norway etc.

Same with cold showers.

They are trying to encourage it now in the uk.

Better than stale air and sleeping surrounded by plastic toys. Smell one of them. Smell the walls. All the paint etc chemicals. A few hrs of fresh air perfect!

These are children who are well swaddled against the elements.

Shoving a toddler into a cold showeras punishment is a very different thing.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »

Shoving a toddler into a cold showeras punishment is a very different thing.

They do that too. :) My mother did. And ice baths etc. Very common.

My mom gave me cold baths as a baby. Cold showers in winter etc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-12806831

They do it in frozen rivers too.

I actually still do it sometimes in winter.

Advertisement