Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just in the middle of a thunder hail storm in D13 right now. Mad stuff altogether.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just back after a day out in horrible conditions, plenty of rain, sleet and wet snow mixed in some very beefy showers and gusty winds. Everywhere saturated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

And no end end to it in sight more rain more wind forecast for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just had a look at stats for Dublin Airport + we are already above the average rainfall for Feb + only half way through the month.

Apart from a relatively 'dry' month in Jan rainfall levels are unreal since August.

A very wet autumn/winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

appledrop wrote: »
    Just had a look at stats for Dublin Airport + we are already above the average rainfall fir Feb + only half way through the month.

Apart from a relatively 'dry' month in Jan rainfall levels are unreal since August.

A very wet autumn/winter.

As a matter of fact, February's rainfall for the country as a whole, based on an 11-station grid, is already above average for Ireland and it is the wettest February since 2016 currently.

https://twitter.com/SryanBruen/status/1229035242662526977

Sick of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

And no end end to it in sight more rain more wind forecast for the week.

I'm not that displeased. I wouldn't like to see high pressure in February and none in the summer like 1998.

It's the time for rain, November to February.

Yep we are all sick of it.

Next week is midterm for the kids+ terrible to see how much rain is forecast for the whole week.

It just seems like it's never ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Like the rest of you, I am getting really sick of the relentless westerlies and heavy rain that have been coming in on a conveyor belt since last October.

We need a pattern change fast but I don’t think it will happen. The Atlantic just won’t quiten down. Sad state of affairs. A truly horrific winter yet again. And the really sad thing is most of Central and Eastern Europe had a relatively mild winter with a distinct lack of snow which just compounds the misery of winter 2019/2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

esposito wrote: »
    Like the rest of you, I am getting really sick of the relentless westerlies and heavy rain that have been coming in on a conveyor belt since last October.

We need a pattern change fast but I don’t think it will happen. The Atlantic just won’t quiten down. Sad state of affairs. A truly horrific winter yet again. And the really sad thing is most of Central and Eastern Europe had a relatively mild winter with a distinct lack of snow which just compounds the misery of winter 2019/2020.

I'm sure it was a welcome change in Eastern Europe.

A truly horrific winter yet again.

Truly horrific is an exaggeration. There was no horror this winter. Thankfully no fatalities in weather related incidents. No storm or weather event out of the ordinary. It's a typical Irish winter.

February 1990 was a a wet and windy month that would leave this month in the hapenny place.

I'm finding the weather fora full of hyperbole this winter. Dominated by posters and posts on successive Sundays that this is 'the worst wind I've ever witnessed'.

It's like the forum has become a mirror of the Daily Mail or James Madden has taken over.

I don't mean you in particular Esposito, not by any means.

P.s. And as regards snow, many parts of the country saw some last week and in January, much more than during many winters. Particularly in the 1990s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest GFS see's plenty of wintry conditions on Thursday. Of course the GFS over does the snow charts, but if this was to come off, would bring a very wintry afternoon in the greater Dublin area.

96-574UK.GIF?16-12

Temperatures look a bit high for snow, but they do go lower later.

96-580UK.GIF?16-12

In reality Thursday will probably a wet, cold day with some flakes mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I always find April/May is the most enjoyable time of year, lengthening days, the first real signs of warmth, everything coming back to life and there's still that naive hope that summer won't be a depressing grey washout :p

May is one of my favourite months as well but April? I find that month to be deadest and most drab of all. Rare to see any sort fauna springing into life on a noticeable level until early May, at least in these parts.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yep we are all sick of it.

Next week is midterm for the kids+ terrible to see how much rain is forecast for the whole week.

It just seems like it's never ending.

I embrace it in the hope that the following summer will make up for it as the Atlantic will hopefully have burn't itself out by May

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    May is one of my favourite months as well but April? I find that month to be deadest and most drab of all. Rare to see any sort fauna springing into life on a noticeable level until early May, at least in these parts.

April is good for the hail.

I know the rain is pretty incessant but it's often the way in February, when fields are waterlogged.

There was an old saying from the nineteenth century. 'February fill dyke, black or white'. Basically February will bring a lot of moisture, be it rain or snow. Unfortunately it's usually rain! Especially the last 30 years or so.

I remember the waterlogged fields of February and March 1995. But they gave way to the great summer of 1995.

I know Feb can be wet but so was Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov+ Dec!

I drive on country roads + this year for first time in 15 years of driving all along the grass verges there are dug out ditches I'm presumming to either let the water out of fields or alternatively drain the road from flooding. I used to see the odd one but this year they are everywhere. That's not normal.

The only month below average rainfall was Jan. Now I'd take it all if it meant we got a lovely summer but unfortunately in Ireland that's not how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Very dramatic ! Sad state of affairs !? And why are you so worried about Eastern Europe and their lack of snow ? Maybe they are happy about it ! Snow is just hardship for most people

I know Feb can be wet but so was Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov+ Dec!

I drive on country roads + this year for first time in 15 years of driving all along the grass verges there are dug out ditches I'm presumming to either let the water out of fields or alternatively drain the road from flooding. I used to see the odd one but this year they are everywhere. That's not normal.

The only month below average rainfall was Jan. Now I'd take it all if it meant we got a lovely summer but unfortunately in Ireland that's not how it works.

It is normal enough. Often stretches of 6 mts above average rainfall. No rainfall records have been broken anywhere.

Watercourses get blocked with leaves, clay stones, bits of branches etc every year. Some farmers, home owners and councils are better than others at keeping drains clear. There is absolutely nothing unusual about the rains from when the weather broke on 21 September this year. We've had a few dry spells in January too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Listening to the forecast on radio 1 this morning it seems the theme for the week is rain,rain and more rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

The rain for Sligo is 105mm so far this month

Our weather broke in early August and we had a dry week around Christmas but I was sick

Will be March at least now before next one.

While not record breaking as Ireland is SO wet it is above average rainfall which is high in this part of the world

In Sligo any month with over 100mm is very wet
    So 105mm by day 17

• Advertisement

Listening to the forecast on radio 1 this morning it seems the theme for the week is rain,rain and more rain

the trend for the rest of the month is not good if you want dry weather. Plenty of rain over the next 2 to 3 weeks, the regular deluges might be making a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can cope with rain but the bloody wind hasn't let up in ages and looks like it's here for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I'd prefer the wind and rain to snow and ice anyway so good news although I hope to see a bit of sunshine and warmth in march

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Side effect of windy weather when it prevents sleep? I knit when I cannot sleep etc. Currently baby hats for work in India with abandoned little ones. So all the time Dennis was raging... Just gathered in the hats... on my 17th in the three days of Dennis..Thank you, Dennis!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

US2 wrote: »
    I'd prefer the wind and rain to snow and ice anyway so good news although I hope to see a bit of sunshine and warmth in march

I'd love some ice and snow. Or just some cold crisp sunny days instead of endless grey muck :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thought the world was ending; the loudest hardest hail shower ever! OUCH! Even the cat was scared... still at it …. Hope no one is out there.

Emme wrote: »
    I'd love some ice and snow. Or just some cold crisp sunny days instead of endless grey muck :mad:

best chance of that will now be next winter unfortunately. March can still deliver such conditions but it's usually very short lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Day 7 and the snow drifts from last monday are still in the ditches on high ground west of Arklow despite the rain

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A few big angry blustery showers going over, some a bit wintry but mostly rain, 8mm since midnight.

bitter cold at 5C in a brisk WNW wind.

Hsil/rain shower with mammatus like clouds Kerry 15.00 today

embv0be.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The gusting when the showers arrive is quite something.

Advertisement