Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Kutebride wrote: »
    It's a letal combo in Meath. Snow left a very fine layer & then it froze on top.
    Main roads seem ok as expect gritters were out.

Same in Limerick frozen sleet on the ground lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Treacherous road conditions in Dublin, a lot of the meltwater from yesterday has frozen over. I don't remember the last time I saw such conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Atrocious road conditions here this morning in Kildare. Dusting of snow to conceal black ice underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Footpaths in my estate and parts of the road covered in black ice in cork city. Footpaths on the main road are very bad also and can see patches of black ice said main road. Very dangerous, must have been no gritting done last night.

Edit: and a women just slipped and fell full force onto her back just grabbing her head. Luckily she was alright but will be sore tomorrow I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another fresh dusting of snow in Letterkenny this morning, actually the most widespread covering we've had all week with all surfaces covered

5th time in two weeks I've woken up to a dusting so at least it goes someway towards improving what we a pathetic winter up till then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I'd say A&E's will be inundated with fall injuries. Saw 3 people falling on paths while doing the school run this morning in Wicklow. Everybody walking like penguins trying to stay upright, lethal!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Between 9pm tonight & midnight a spell of rain will spread over the rest of Ireland over Leinster & ulster but as it does do it bumps into colder air across Connaught & Ulster & could fall as heavy snow for a time on Wednesday night and early hours of the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Is that us done with anything of note r.e snow?:confused: hope we get a few days of decent snow in Dublin :(

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Is that us done with anything of note r.e snow?:confused: hope we get a few days of decent snow in Dublin :(

With the band of rain crossing the country some wet snow showers can’t be ruled out , we’ll see

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    With the band of rain crossing the country some wet snow showers can’t be ruled out , we’ll see
    Cheers Snowbiee,anything of note down the line (not asking for lotto numbers here :D)

• Advertisement

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Cheers Snowbiee,anything of note down the line (not asking for lotto numbers here :D)

Looks a return back to milder weather next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Another fresh dusting of snow in Letterkenny this morning, actually the most widespread covering we've had all week with all surfaces covered

5th time in two weeks I've woken up to a dusting so at least it goes someway towards improving what we a pathetic winter up till then

It’s fairly wet snow though, with no chance of properly sticking around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Between 9pm tonight & midnight a spell of rain will spread over the rest of Ireland over Leinster & ulster but as it does do it bumps into colder air across Connaught & Ulster & could fall as heavy snow for a time on Wednesday night and early hours of the morning

I have been wondering about this. The forecasts and modelling are mixed. Some seem to show snow starting about 5am after a period of rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Beautifully white through the trees
    This is the snow covered Croghan area west of Arklow
    Snow line 5 miles inland is about 100 metres or less

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Louth and Wicklow

Icy in parts tonight with wintry outbreaks. Some snow accumulations possible before morning, mainly across the north and on higher ground elsewhere.

Valid: 20:00 Wednesday 12/02/2020 to 10:00 Thursday 13/02/2020

Issued: 20:00 Tuesday 11/02/2020

Updated: 12:29 Wednesday 12/02/2020

26501-CCE-0490-4470-A39-B-D3-D6-A4-CB338-E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Haven't posted in a while but im Glad to see the east coast of meath escapes any snow and ice warning for later, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I cant understand how Dublin and Wicklow in that warning, must relate to melting snow with rain tonight above 400metres

About a .001% chance of snow in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

89mm of rain so far in February here

Another 200mm month...theyr getting common

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

outlook for the next two weeks looks generally mild or close to normal temperatures and unsettled. Chance of slightly cooler weather between the 16th and 19th of February then it goes mild again. The westerlies continue with strong winds this weekend, then cool and showery to start next week. Unlikely to be lower level snow next week but some wintry falls could happen on high ground.We continue with the westerlies driving in low pressures from the west with cooler and showery interludes between, probably for the rest of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Looks like some very heavy rain coming in over the south tonight - from the met.ie radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

No need for snow ice warning by met
    It's gone milder....ish

I cant understand how Dublin and Wicklow in that warning, must relate to melting snow with rain tonight above 400metres

About a .001% chance of snow in Dublin

Dublin & Wicklow Mountains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    outlook for the next two weeks looks generally mild or close to normal temperatures and unsettled. Chance of slightly cooler weather between the 16th and 19th of February then it goes mild again. The westerlies continue with strong winds this weekend, then cool and showery to start next week. Unlikely to be lower level snow next week but some wintry falls could happen on high ground.We continue with the westerlies driving in low pressures from the west with cooler and showery interludes between, probably for the rest of February.

The slightly warmer than average conditions forecast I think would be more based on the lack of below average minina, rather than the strength of any daytime warmth. A worst of both worlds type scenario.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS which usually overdoes snow risk doesnt have a flake

15-574UK.GIF?12-12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very few of the models going for snow apart from a few flakes on peaks in Donegal and NI.

Hirlam produces a rain event for all of us.

hirlamuk-1-11-0.png?12-16

Icon similar to the Hirlam:
    iconeu_uk1-1-13-0.png?12-15

GFS very similar as well.
    18-574UK.GIF?12-12

Arpege again very similar:
    arpegeuk-1-12-0.png?12-16

The Euro 4 is having a laugh:
    euro4_uk1-1-19-0.png?12-11

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ECM 06z:

rWIMHCN.gif

Hard one to call given that this front is coming in over a chilled air mass. I think higher ground in the NW will see something for a short period of time, but I'd not bet my diamond studded* watch on it.

*does such a watch exist?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Slieve bloom mountains this morning
    HDjrO11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin and Louth

South to Southeast winds will reach 50 to 60 km/hr gusts 90 to 100 km/hr, mainly in coastal areas and on high ground.

Valid: 23:00 Wednesday 12/02/2020 to 03:00 Thursday 13/02/2020

Issued: 16:00 Wednesday 12/02/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin and Louth

South to Southeast winds will reach 50 to 60 km/hr gusts 90 to 100 km/hr, mainly in coastal areas and on high ground.

Valid: 23:00 Wednesday 12/02/2020 to 03:00 Thursday 13/02/2020

Issued: 16:00 Wednesday 12/02/2020

That's an odd one. Warning for 4 hours in just two counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

That's an odd one. Warning for 4 hours in just two counties.

Short alright .Area of low pressure moving up over the country.Dublin Airport TAF gives gusts up to 40 knots between midnight and 2am.

Advertisement