Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

joe40 wrote: »
    . . . the world is undoubtedly facing a huge crisis caused by climate change.

This will be my last post for a while, suffice to say there is no climate crisis, we live in different climate zones across the planet and as humans are very adaptable to the situations. The next crisis that will affect us all in one way or another here in Ireland will be economic in origin.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

The_Brood wrote: »
    Pretty much every major street protest in Dublin on social issues is filled with Communist/Soviet union flags (carried by young/not old people) who seem utterly oblivious/not giving a damn about the history behind the Soviet union.
    Ok, every major protest in Ireland is a Communist conspiracy - got it...

It has nothing at all to do with the various single-digit membership anarchist/Communist etc. societies in the major colleges - who don't even have enough intellect to get the classroom heating fixed, without first holding a protest about it - rather than just ask the fucking janitor.

These idiots are the ones who conspired to gather 10k+ people for a climate protest.

This is the level of ridiculous hysteria you only get from Libertarians - they should be confined to a section of Boards with their Marxist mates - since they can't stop going on about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

KyussB wrote: »
    Ok, every major protest in Ireland is a Communist conspiracy - got it...

It has nothing at all to do with the various single-digit membership anarchist/Communist etc. societies in the major colleges - who don't even have enough intellect to get the classroom heating fixed, without first holding a protest about it - rather than just ask the fucking janitor.

These idiots are the ones who conspired to gather 10k+ people for a climate protest.

This is the level of ridiculous hysteria you only get from Libertarians - they should be confined to a section of Boards with their Marxist mates - since they can't stop going on about them.
    You're on a loser with street protests as they will always attract the usual suspects. They don't care what it's about, they just want an excuse of a platform. That's not to say others are not there for genuine reasons but it one of the main reasons why they don't have much credibility beyond people feeling they are doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

You would need to convince both China and India to cut emissions first
    Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sabat wrote: »
    This is really resembling an Aquarian doomsday cult at this stage. The messianic virginal leader, a specific end of the world date (12 years left), the deliberate recruitment of masses of young people etc.

Maybe they’ll do a Jonestown and leave the rest of us to get on with things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Good luck with that.

Well we could stop buying and importing the rubbish they produce instead of doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Maybe they’ll do a Jonestown and leave the rest of us to get on with things.
    One expects posters to have a little sense of decorum and that's uncalled for. EDIT: I see even you thought better of the vile original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This will be my last post for a while, suffice to say there is no climate crisis, we live in different climate zones across the planet and as humans are very adaptable to the situations. The next crisis that will affect us all in one way or another here in Ireland will be economic in origin.

This is comical Ali levels of denial.

Suffice to say, at this point, you are choosing to ignore the documented evidence.
    Wilful ignorance I think is the term which covers it best.

You are not choosing to use evidence to suggest there is not a problem, you are simply choosing to ignore it. I think it is important to be clear about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

is_that_so wrote: »
    One expects posters to have a little sense of decorum and that's uncalled for. EDIT: I see even you thought better of the vile original post.

Drop the faux outrage. The wackier cults get the more extreme are the things they do. People are already getting themselves sterlised in the name of climate change, only a matter of time before they start commiting suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Good luck with that.

I think India is near the top of the class for meeting its emissions targets in fairness.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

This is comical Ali levels of denial.

Suffice to say, at this point, you are choosing to ignore the documented evidence.
    Wilful ignorance I think is the term which covers it best.

You are not choosing to use evidence to suggest there is not a problem, you are simply choosing to ignore it. I think it is important to be clear about that.

Despite the fact that the global population has grown massively since the turn of the 20th century there are much less weather related deaths since we have been able to adapt to normal range of weather extremes that occur within the various climate zones. It is you that is ignoring the evidence and succumbing to the catastrophic anthropogenic global warming cult by failing to review the evidence that shows the weather events are not showing any particular trend one way of the other, we are generally able to deal with those and protect ourselves as evidenced by the graph I showed.

There is a precedent for Greta lookup the story of the 15 year old Nongqawuse. Greta is just telling us a scary story about a boogie man that she believes and encourages us to join the hunt to capture and kill the boogie man before it kills more people. She has no special insight, just substitute CO2 for the boogie man and it begins to make sense why she might claim to see it, in the same manner of a frightened child when you put them to bed.

We have tended to throw off traditional religions across Europe in recent decades, however, we still have what you could describe as a spiritual capacity, (in this case the cult of Gaia), to transcend present misery with deified hope, belief and prayer for a better future. Thus, the people around Greta furnish the problem, feed and stoke it into uncertainty, misery, hell fire and damnation, then present the solution. Now where have we heard that before? Salvation is at hand, oldest trick in the book.

You might consider Greta's personal difficulties relating to people and trying to make sense of the world, then it might not be surprising that she would subconsciously tap into the spiritual realm and approach the world with a religious fervour that tries to persuade everyone around her.

Anyway I have a flight to catch to JFK, so who knows I may run into Greta in person over the next week. :rolleyes:

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Despite the fact that the global population has grown massively since the turn of the 20th century there are much less weather related deaths since we have been able to adapt to normal range of weather extremes that occur within the various climate zones. It is you that is ignoring the evidence and succumbing to the catastrophic anthropogenic global warming cult by failing to review the evidence that shows the weather events are not showing any particular trend one way of the other, we are generally able to deal with those and protect ourselves as evidenced by the graph I showed.

BS.
    I don't know what point you are trying to make about weather related deaths as it has very little if not nothing to do with the topic.

There is a precedent for Greta lookup the story of the 15 year old Nongqawuse. Greta is just telling us a scary story about a boogie man that she believes and encourages us to join the hunt to capture and kill the boogie man before it kills more people. She has no special insight, just substitute CO2 for the boogie man and it begins to make sense why she might claim to see it, in the same manner of a frightened child when you put them to bed.

Well, duh, that's her point. The scientists do though, the IPCC certainly does, I believe they have sufficient insight.
    We have tended to throw off traditional religions across Europe in recent decades, however, we still have what you could describe as a spiritual capacity, (in this case the cult of Gaia), to transcend present misery with deified hope, belief and prayer for a better future. Thus, the people around Greta furnish the problem, feed and stoke it into uncertainty, misery, hell fire and damnation, then present the solution. Now where have we heard that before? Salvation is at hand, oldest trick in the book.

You might consider Greta's personal difficulties relating to people and trying to make sense of the world, then it might not be surprising that she would subconsciously tap into the spiritual realm and approach the world with a religious fervour that tries to persuade everyone around her.

Nonsense once again as it is predicated on a belief that Greta's sees herself as some sort of chosen one which there is zero evidence indicating that she believes that.
    Anyway I have a flight to catch to JFK, so who knows I may run into Greta in person over the next week. :rolleyes:

If you do, take the chance to listen to what she actually is saying rather than what you think she is saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

She's in America, or do you disbelieve the news around that also? I am more likely to meet her than your good self.

JFK is in America buddy.

JFK is in America buddy.

Touche. A brain freeze at the disbelief of what I'm reading here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Is it true a vw e golf with a 190km range that takes 16 hours to charge at home costs 50k?

The people of ireland have so much to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

joe40 wrote: »
    Greta is not important, and everyone knows she is not a scientists and she has never claimed to be a scientist.She is simply raising awareness, and promoting the IPCC reports.Everything else is just noise, but it is the thing people that who don't want to accept climate change is a problem latch onto.It is easy to ridicule what you call alarmism, but the world is undoubtedly facing a huge crisis caused by climate change.

Oh but she is. But she is certainly no 'scientist'. She is certainly a dupe and a figure head being used to promote alarmism of the worst kind. She is not "promoting the IPCC reports" for sure ...
    “My name is Greta Thunberg, I am 16 years old, I come from Sweden and I want you to panic,”

And
    " I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day."

Also this on the end of civilisation

Ms Thunberg:
    "Around the year 2030, 10 years 252 days and 10 hours away from now, we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control, that will most likely lead to the end of our civilisation as we know it."

Conversely this is what one of the scientists responsible for the previous IPCC report said.
    "Please stop saying something globally bad is going to happen in 2030. Bad stuff is already happening and every half a degree of warming matters, but the IPCC does not draw a “planetary boundary” at 1.5°C beyond which lie climate dragons".

So no - She is not "simply raising awareness, and promoting the IPCC reports.

She is a misguided kid screaming armegedon ...

gozunda wrote: »

The Swedish Parliament, The EU Parliament, the UK Parliament, the US congress, the UN are not in the habit of inviting screaming misguided children to speak to them.

The fact that Greta has been invited to these places amongst others is evidence that she has a message worth listening to.

Why does this infuriate you so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The Swedish Parliament, The EU Parliament, the UK Parliament, the US congress, the UN are not in the habit of inviting screaming misguided children to speak to them. The fact that Greta has been invited to these places amongst others is evidence that she has a message worth listening to.

Lol. It doesn't. I've given two common themes of her speeches above. Just pointing out the BS - does that annoy you?

The UN are well known for coming out with various false figures - which they later redact but only after much of the damage is done unfortunately. But yes the kid is a populist figurehead pushed by others and politicians love a good PR opportunity. It's not that hard to figure out now is it ...

Do you deny that an IPCC scientist has said the doomsday scenario being peddled is complete rubbish - or maybe they are making that up as well?

I take it you are a greta groupie? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

The Swedish Parliament, The EU Parliament, the UK Parliament, the US congress, the UN are not in the habit of inviting screaming misguided children to speak to them.

Those places(most) also hosted Anita Sarkeesian(Working to end online harassment and bullying of women). Look where she is now. Greta is the latest fad.

Both were able to turn people trolling them into positive media attention.

Lol. It doesn't. Just pointing out the BS - does that annoy you?

The UN are well known for coming out with various false figures - which they later redact but only after much of the damage is done unfortunately. But yes the kid is a populist figurehead pushed by others and politicians love a good PR opportunity. It's not that hard to figure out now is it ...

Just repeating your point that you think it is BS, doesn't make it so and therefore it is obviously difficult to figure out or accept for you for some reason.

Here is someone who has motivated the aforementioned world renowned policy and government organisations to invite her to speak and motivated the largest globally coordinated march in the history of the planet and you can't understand it.

And now your response is that someone who thinks she deserves praise for what she has done is a groupie? Really? Lot of groupies out there so.

• Advertisement

people have answered your probing questions two or three times in the last few pages tellmehow

you dont ever seem to acknowledge any of the points made, and prefer to instead make personal comments

i wonder if they'll stop responding to you sooner or later. would seem the best option really.

Those places(most) also hosted Anita Sarkeesian(Working to end online harassment and bullying of women). Look where she is now. Greta is the latest fad.

What's your point? Does she have to devote her entire life to being in the public eye particularly after being harassed for doing so.

Would you have described her as a screaming misguided child also?

people have answered your probing questions two or three times in the last few pages tellmehow

you dont ever seem to acknowledge any of the points made, and prefer to instead make personal comments

i wonder if they'll stop responding to you sooner or later. would seem the best option really.

Really, I'm the one making personal comments?

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    I hope Smell Me Why is getting paid for spewing this nonsense.

That not withstanding, I'll keep asking questions until the answers make sense. It has yet to happen, and I don't hold out much hope, but, sure why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The fact that Greta has been invited to these places amongst others is evidence that she has a message worth listening to.

So the message she has related is

a. I want you to panic.

b. I don’t want you to listen to me, listen to the scientists.

Is there a possibility that these institutions of power want to whip up the fear and panic peddled by Greta so they can persuade people that the increase in their power and control over people’s freedom is necessary?

Do you not think that it is unusual within a 12 months of starting a campaign a child is being invited to address parliaments and the UN, without any expertise or solutions? Only offering emotion and calling upon those present to panic?

Do you not contemplate for a moment that she is being manipulated in order to manipulate you?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

What's your point?

Would you have described her as a screaming misguided child also?

My point that your argument to authority isn't a great one, I've seen lots of crazy speak at the U.N. and the houses of congress of which you speak.

Greta may have a good message, but who is she to assume she knows more than us? Isn't she a child? People are alluding to the fact that this is all in vain, and not productive other than making people feel better about themselves.

I probably wouldn't describe her like that. If she genuinely feels she's making the world a better place somehow, then that only proves how she is being co-opted by those around her.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    So the message she has related is

a. I want you to panic.

b. I don’t want you to listen to me, listen to the scientists.

Is there a possibility that these institutions of power want to whip up the fear and panic peddled by Greta so they can persuade people that the increase in their power and control over people’s freedom is necessary?

Do you not think that it is unusual within a 12 months of starting a campaign a child is being invited to address parliaments and the UN, without any expertise or solutions? Only offering emotion and calling upon those present to panic?

Do you not contemplate for a moment that she is being manipulated in order to manipulate you?

Absolutely not. I'm not foolish enough to believe every word which comes out of a politicians mouth, I mean, look at those in the UK saying they are fighting for the common man while hedging bets that the pound will collapse in the event of a No Deal Brexit. Or Trump saying he is going to drain the swamp. Or Irish ministers saying they have heard the demand from people for green action and then signing oil exploration deals a few days later.

But, Greta has used those institutions to get her message out there. Now, they cannot say they didn't hear her and while it doesn't mean they will automatically act, it does mean they have acknowledged that there is a problem.

Would you think she'd be better off sitting on her hands and saying there is no point?

My point that your argument to authority isn't a great one, I've seen lots of crazy speak at the U.N. and the houses of congress of which you speak.

Greta may have a good message, but who is she to assume she knows more than us? Isn't she a child? People are alluding to the fact that this is all in vain, and not productive other than making people feel better about themselves.

I probably wouldn't describe her like that. If she genuinely feels she's making the world a better place somehow, then that only proves how she is being co-opted by those around her.

Honestly, you really need to listen to her.

She literally has said, 'how can I have the answers, I am a child'.

Honestly, you really need to listen to her.

She literally has said, 'how can I have the answers, I am a child'.

How do you believe she is doing good for the world? (If you believe that to be the case)

How do you believe she is doing good for the world? (If you believe that to be the case)

She is drawing attention to the need for action on our industrial, economic, societal and environmental practices because we are irreparably damaging the planet which will have seriously negative impacts for future generations in the very near future.

She cannot fix everything, indeed, given peoples unwillingness to consider change in their own lives and given the capitalist societies we all largely live in, the idea of radical change is probably more of a dream than an expectation.

But, she is right in her message, and she is doing what she can. That is all she can do.
    Also, I would hope that the millions of school children who have joined her on her marches will, in just a few short years, when they are in a position to vote, expect more from their representatives in terms of actively promoting sustainability.

• Advertisement

She is drawing attention to the need for action on our industrial, economic, societal and environmental practices because we are irreparably damaging the planet which will have seriously negative impacts for future generations in the very near future.

But, she is right in her message, and she is doing what she can. That is all she can do.

I don't think acknowledgement of the problem to be the problem. I think the problem is dumping all that co2 and methane into the atmosphere by the 7.53billion of us and our subsidiaries. We need a fix that doesn't ask people to starve. We have a few potential technological fixes in the pipeline already.

As another poster pointed out, in 1894 The Times reported “In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure.” because of the sheer number of horses needed to get people around. Who could have imagined cars would have saved the environment at the time.

I would prefer those millions of students were advised to take up STEM fields by Greta and actually help solve the problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement