Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    So the message she has related is

a. I want you to panic.

b. I don’t want you to listen to me, listen to the scientists.

Is there a possibility that these institutions of power want to whip up the fear and panic peddled by Greta so they can persuade people that the increase in their power and control over people’s freedom is necessary?

Do you not think that it is unusual within a 12 months of starting a campaign a child is being invited to address parliaments and the UN, without any expertise or solutions? Only offering emotion and calling upon those present to panic?

Do you not contemplate for a moment that she is being manipulated in order to manipulate you?

Absolutely not. I'm not foolish enough to believe every word which comes out of a politicians mouth, I mean, look at those in the UK saying they are fighting for the common man while hedging bets that the pound will collapse in the event of a No Deal Brexit. Or Trump saying he is going to drain the swamp. Or Irish ministers saying they have heard the demand from people for green action and then signing oil exploration deals a few days later.

But, Greta has used those institutions to get her message out there. Now, they cannot say they didn't hear her and while it doesn't mean they will automatically act, it does mean they have acknowledged that there is a problem.

Would you think she'd be better off sitting on her hands and saying there is no point?

No I think her marketing campaign has been phenomenal. If I had books to sell rather than solutions to offer I would follow her lead.

I thought it was particularly ironic to see the number of children carrying posters bearing the legend “the emperor has no clothes”. Because I think this emperor has no clothes apart from an expertly selected PR wardrobe.

Personally I have always been very environmentally conscious and abhor wasteful use of resources but I believe the demonization of carbon is irrational. Seeking to reduce carbon emissions over the next 30 years to the level they were when warming was already occurring is even more irrational. In my opinion.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No I think her marketing campaign has been phenomenal. If I had books to sell rather than solutions to offer I would follow her lead.

I thought it was particularly ironic to see the number of children carrying posters bearing the legend “the emperor has no clothes”. Because I think this emperor has no clothes apart from an expertly selected PR wardrobe.

Personally I have always been very environmentally conscious and abhor wasteful use of resources but I believe the demonization of carbon is irrational. Seeking to reduce carbon emissions over the next 30 years to the level they were when warming was already occurring is even more irrational. In my opinion.

I find that hard to believe as I do think if you were conscious you would be supportive of her efforts instead of trying to undermine them.

I don't think acknowledgement of the problem to be the problem. I think the problem is dumping all that co2 and methane into the atmosphere by the 7.53billion of us and our subsidiaries. We need a fix that doesn't ask people to starve. We have a few potential technological fixes in the pipeline already.

As another poster pointed out, in 1894 The Times reported “In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure.” because of the sheer number of horses needed to get people around. Who could have imagined cars would have saved the environment at the time.

I would prefer those millions of students were advised to take up STEM fields by Greta and actually help solve the problem.

So you and Greta are on the same page. Given that, why do you have a problem with her?

I find that hard to believe as I do think if you were conscious you would be supportive of her efforts instead of trying to undermine them.

Do you think everybody who is concerned for the environment and the future well being of our planet has to buy in to the Private Fraser ramblings of a teenager?

Do you think everybody who is concerned for the environment and the future well being of our planet has to buy in to the Private Fraser ramblings of a teenager?

Think you are distinctly in the minority for viewing her position as such.

Again, I refer you to the following.
    The Swedish Parliament, The EU Parliament, the UK Parliament, the US congress, the UN are not in the habit of inviting screaming misguided children mirroring Private Fraser to speak to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

So you and Greta are on the same page. Given that, why do you have a problem with her?

Where did I say I had a problem with her? She's a child.

I'm annoyed that she is being co-opted and led to believe that she's actually doing something worthwhile. I'm annoyed that the same people that got Soph banned are encouraging Greta.

Where did I say I had a problem with her? She's a child.

I'm annoyed that she is being co-opted and led to believe that she's actually doing something worthwhile. I'm annoyed that the same people that got Soph banned are encouraging Greta.

First bold part, she is not being co-opted, she is doing something worthwhile.

Second bold part, had to check out Soph (hadn't heard of her) she published a video threatening LGBT people and as a consequence was removed from Youtube. Thats on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

First bold part, she is not being co-opted,

How in the fcuk could you know that?

You cant,youre full of sh1t.

First bold part, she is not being co-opted, she is doing something worthwhile.

oh i dont see how you could think that. you must have meant the opposite
    Second bold part, had to check out Soph (hadn't heard of her) she published a video threatening LGBT people and as a consequence was removed from Youtube. Thats on her.

oh i dont see how you could think that. you must have meant the opposite.

^^^ this is you in this thread

has greta ever faced any questions on where she gets her 2030 figure from and how?

has she ever faced any questioning at all?

she has been given an extraordinary platform with zero information as to how and zero challenge to her message. its profoundly antidemocratic and its extremely worrying that anyone could applaud this murky sequence of events or hiss down questions in the way that we are seeing.

dictators manage their appearances like this. and for similar reasons.

if greta or the people behind her are unquestionable then its a cult and nobody should be encouraging engagement.

• Advertisement

Woodsie1 wrote: »

I'm sorry, but what makes you think she is?

She started on her own, has consistently had the same message, and consistently strikes in the same way. There is no doubt but that others are using the increased focus on climate conversation to get their message out (why wouldn't they) but that does not mean she has been co-opted. Be real.

Is it envy or jealousy that a 16 year old can have been so influential or what is that has so many (on this thread) so aggrieved by her?

oh i dont see how you could think that. you must have meant the opposite

oh i dont see how you could think that. you must have meant the opposite.

^^^ this is you in this thread

Cool argument sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just repeating your point that you think it is BS, doesn't make it so and therefore it is obviously difficult to figure out or accept for you for some reason.Here is someone who has motivated the aforementioned world renowned policy and government organisations to invite her to speak and motivated the largest globally coordinated march in the history of the planet and you can't understand it. And now your response is that someone who thinks she deserves praise for what she has done is a groupie? Really? Lot of groupies out there so.

Just pointing out what is obvious. Sorry that doesn't suit. She has 'motivated world policy'? Does she also now dictate to the IPCC UN etc? She is an invitee to these conferences btw. Just one of many - amongst many others. But who has the power here - government organisations or greta?

Her 'message' seriously? She is pushing alarmism with 'fear' and 'panic'. You even claim "She cannot fix everything" . No - she can't fix anything.

Does greta have any relevant qualifications of expertise in what she is pontificating about? No she does not. She is simply misguided teenager who for some reason believes the end of civilisation will happen in 10 years 3 months ...

And what is strange is that apparently no one has got through to her and she is still spouting the same deranged alarmism. With the effect we have kids on these various marches believing inexplicably what she is saying and bunking of school and believing her 'fear' and 'panic'.

People need to take the wool from their eyes on this. She is not the new messiah btw. She is simply a kid screaming unfounded alarmism - but bizarrely all the adults in the room seem to be afraid to point that out some strange reason and are following her mutterings blindly

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

gozunda wrote: »
    Just pointing out what is obvious. Sorry that doesn't suit. She has 'motivated world policy'? Does she also now dictate to the IPCC UN etc? She is an invitee to these conferences btw. Just one of many - amongst many others. But who has the power here - government organisations or greta?

Does greta have any relevant qualifications of expertise in what she is pontificating about? No she does not. She is simply misguided teenager who for some reason believes the end of civilisation will happen in 10 years 3 months ...

And what is strange is that apparently no one has got through to her and she is still spouting the same deranged alarmism. With the effect we have kids on these various marches believing inexplicably what she is saying and bunking of school and believing her 'fear' and 'panic'. People need to take the wool from their eyes on this. She is not the new messiah btw. She is simply a kid screaming unfounded alarmism - but bizarrely all the adults in the room seem to be afraid to point that out some strange reason.

say wha!

actually,say wha to all of the above!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    say wha!

actually,say wha to all of the above!

Yeah 'wha' indeed. This taken from one of her many speeches. She has repeated this theme many times so we have now have kids on marches shouting out that the world is going to end. The same been debunked btw by no less than an IPCC scientist.

Ms Thunberg:
    Around the year 2030, 10 years 252 days and 10 hours away from now, we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control, that will most likely lead to the end of our civilisation as we know it."

:rolleyes:

Yeah 'wha' indeed. This taken from one of her many speeches. She has repeated this many times and we have now have kids on marches shouting out that the world is going to end. It has been debunked btw by no less than an IOCC scientist.

Ms Thunberg:

:rolleyes:

we clearly interpret that completely differently, its clearly obvious that this means we re probably gonna surpass an irreversible tipping point in the 12 years, id imagine most adults realise this is what is meant by that statement from the ipcc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Drop the faux outrage. The wackier cults get the more extreme are the things they do. People are already getting themselves sterlised in the name of climate change, only a matter of time before they start commiting suicide.
    One can't be outraged by people who can't help themselves, just nudge them towards the light every so often. :)

Woodsie1 wrote: »

I'm sorry, but what makes you think she is?

She started on her own, has consistently had the same message, and consistently strikes in the same way. There is no doubt but that others are using the increased focus on climate conversation to get their message out (why wouldn't they) but that does not mean she has been co-opted. Be real.

Is it envy or jealousy that a 16 year old can have been so influential or what is that has so many (on this thread) so aggrieved by her?

She started on her own? She was just lucky that the very first day of her strike a professional photographer from a professional PR firm happened to be walking past and it coincided to the day with the launch of her mother’s eco book? Give me a break.

Greta is the David Icke of her generation.

Greta is the David Icke of her generation.

no shes not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Would anyone have taken any notice if Greta was Not Autistic?
    Would her parents have pushed they're agendas on her if she wasn't on the Spectrum?

Would anyone have taken any notice if Greta was Not Autistic?
    Would her parents have pushed they're agendas on her if she wasn't on the Spectrum?

how longs a piece of string

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Her minder is the youth ambassador for Bono's one foundation. Luisa-Marie Neubauer

EE3O8cPWsAAduAd?format=jpg&name=900x900

Her minder is the youth ambassador for Bono's one foundation. Luisa-Marie Neubauer

and?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

and?

She's a puppet on a string.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Awww isn't Leo lovely. He's gone over to NY to tell them that he's going to protect the less well off with all them lovely carbon taxes he's going to take off us....

Yeah... it's going to go to that lazy good for nothing git who lives up the road from me who stays in bed all day and couldn't be assed to look for a job, nice little rise in his dole......

She's a puppet on a string.

damn, you guys are too good, we really thought we d be able to keep all this stuff under wraps, intelligence has a lot to answer for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Her 'message' seriously? She is pushing alarmism with 'fear' and 'panic'. You even claim "She cannot fix everything" . No - she can't fix anything.

And what is strange is that apparently no one has got through to her and she is still spouting the same deranged alarmism. With the effect we have kids on these various marches believing inexplicably what she is saying and bunking of school and believing her 'fear' and 'panic'.

People need to take the wool from their eyes on this. She is not the new messiah btw. She is simply a kid screaming unfounded alarmism - but bizarrely all the adults in the room seem to be afraid to point that out some strange reason and are following her mutterings blindly
    Talk about alarmism..

The idea that the UN, world governments, climate scientists etc are been led by a Swedish teenager.

That my friend is world class alarmism.

we clearly interpret that completely differently, its clearly obvious that this means we re probably gonna surpass an irreversible tipping point in the 12 years, id imagine most adults realise this is what is meant by that statement from the ipcc

Its not me interpreting that btw. Its the adults carry banners stating '12 years left to save the world' and kids shouting that the world is going to end or wtte.

The IPCC do not detail specific 'tipping points' in their report btw.

• Advertisement

Its not me interpreting tyst btw. Its the adults carry banners stating '12 years left to save the world's and kids shouting that the world is going to end or wtte.

The IPCC do not mention 'tipping points' in their report btw.

im sorry im dump, im just a paid shill, can you explain it to me, even though it wont affect my pay in anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement