Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This would all be cool, if there wasn't a climate issue as evidenced by scientists from every country in the world.

It shouldn't have to be explained but the reason that politics and climate has become so intertwined is because society looks to the politicians to enact laws for the betterment of this and future societies.

It took legislation to come in to place to bring about a ban on plastic carrier bags, it took legislation to bring about a ban on smoking in the workplace.

I know you are a fan of the capitalist ideals as purported by Donald Trump but many many people would recognize there is nothing in that behaviour which suggests sustainability is going to happen.

The issue is that the people out marching, the extinction rebellions , the gretas are all taking the science and only peddling solutions and viewpoints which demonise industry and private property. To have the issue talked about in a sensible manor i think we need to work at de coupling the political agenda from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

That was a dream I'm pretty sure snoopsheep, no evidence to support it in real life.

This post is Probably the closest I will get to agreeing with you on this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The issue is that the people out marching, the extinction rebellions , the gretas are all taking the science and only peddling solutions and viewpoints which demonise industry and private property. To have the issue talked about in a sensible manor i think we need to work at de coupling the political agenda from it.

So, (leaving aside my belief that ultimately politics is required in terms of enforcing action), how do we solve the issue without demonising industry or private property?

What would you advise is done?

Bear in mind, Greta has demonised neither but has said that what is required is solutions which are not yet developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Ironically for that Journal article with the Green Party supporter - the Green Party supports mostly tepid NeoLiberal-lite climate policies - they aren't an effective party, and their policies don't really have consistency (e.g. carbon budgets are a complete waste of time - they must not have done even rudimentary research on the topic, before making it their policy).

It's mistaken to believe that combatting our contribution to climate change, involves combatting Capitalism - we live in economies which promote increased monopolization and oligopolies/cartels, government subsidies to powerful industries (including fossil fuels, even), and laws/treaties being written in the favour of industry first and democracy second (if even) - that's not Capitalism, that's increasingly shifting towards Oligopoly/Plutocracy as an economic/political system.

The best way to combat climate change, is to restore true Capitalism, which is inherently based on having a strong government - and to combine that with progressive economic policies, to make up for the faults in Capitalism which lead to social/economic ills - and to recognize the role government has in undertaking large-scale tasks that private industry is incapable of, like mounting an earnest effort at combatting climate emissions, with a goal of zero emissions within a decade.

That's ultimately what the Green New Deal is, a restoration of Capitalism to it's Post-WWII best. Most people today who are most vociferous in their support of NeoLiberal/Libertarian style Capitalism, just support Oligopoly/Plutocracy - Capitalism needs to be retaken by progressives, who can make it run properly for everyone, not just for the most well off - the Green New Deal is a fantastic way to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

KyussB wrote: »
    Capitalism needs to be retaken by progressives, who can make it run properly for everyone, not just for the most well off - the Green New Deal is a fantastic way to do that.

A load of waffle to say do it our way it's better.
    I notice not one of the posters has challenged the evidence of an actual expert who's posted in this very forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Woodsie1 wrote:
    A load of waffle to say do it our way it's better. I notice not one of the posters has challenged the evidence of an actual expert who's posted in this very forum

Disagree, I think KyussB is actually spot on, some well respected commentators mention more or less the same thing, in particular the individuals who came up with the concept of the green new deal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/saoirse-mchugh-column-capitalism-4884073-Nov2019/

I wonder what that different one is Saoirse....
    and the mask slips again, its becoming plain as day that most of this is about undoing our economy and replacing it with the lefts 'utopian' view than anything.

The amount of coverage and time the green party and certain candidates in particular get, is so far out of line with their actually political power or how many votes they got. How many other failed candidates get a column, time on the TV etc

It's almost as if there's an agenda...........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

she offers no solutions unsurprisingly. i'd actually agree with a lot if what she's saying but pointing out the obvious is not very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

RTE full of climate crisis articles today including ones from ex met.ie yet nothing on the Shannon radar being broken or Irish Water whether this crisis is real or just how damaging it will prove to be propaganda machine scare mongering will only damage it's cause in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

RTE full of climate crisis articles today including ones from ex met.ie yet nothing on the Shannon radar being broken or Irish Water whether this crisis is real or just how damaging it will prove to be propaganda machine scare mongering will only damage it's cause in the long run.

I am struggling to see the relevance here?

I take it you are referring to the rainfall radar not working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    A load of waffle to say do it our way it's better.
    I notice not one of the posters has challenged the evidence of an actual expert who's posted in this very forum
    It's a load of waffle to say the present way of running things is better - because it's leading to mass environmental destruction and pushing climate change.

The Green New Deal and a return to a Progressive form of Capitalism, is pretty much the only game in town - nobody has any better ideas, for rapidly solving the problem within a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Can someone confirm that the imaged used by RTE, portraying Ireland in 2050, is accurate and from a scientific report? Because posters here keep telling us that the only thing climate activasts tell us is listen to scientists

They would never try to present false information in an attempt to scare people into new taxes now would they?

I do like they way they have portrayed the young girl as some sort of hero saviour of the family, while the elderly woman sits in shame for all those glass milk bottles she used and recycled when she was young!

Note:- from much earlier in this thread and others, I have no problem with climate change science, what I have a problem with is fear mongering and increasing taxes with no benifit to environment.

The amount of coverage and time the green party and certain candidates in particular get, is so far out of line with their actually political power or how many votes they got. How many other failed candidates get a column, time on the TV etc

It's almost as if there's an agenda...........

Nigel Farage anyone?

Nigel Farage anyone?

And look how that turned out...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

And look how that turned out...

Out of idle curiosity, are you clairvoyant or were you able to change your username?

Out of idle curiosity, are you clairvoyant or were you able to change your username?

Changed it, no real reason just wanted to get rid of my old one, and she's had one hell of an impact!

Changed it, no real reason just wanted to get rid of my old one, and she's had one hell of an impact!

Didn't know you could do that! Mind now flooding with possibilities...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So she didn't fly back, our hero's journey continues. Go Greta!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

And how was this yacht funded?
    Riley worked offshore on oil rigs and in the mines of Western Australia

OMG, the irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How long would it take to make a trip like this?

And will her father/team be going with her or are they going to fly while Greata has to spend weeks on a boat.

It's pure bollox, as long as she isn't chartering a private jet what is the issue with her taking occasional flights. Once on the continent she can use rail but having to bend over backwards to prove a point is stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

When are they going to China and India ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

statesaver wrote: »
    When are they going to China and India ?

Are they the only polluters in the world or something? Per capita Ireland is one of the worst, so you should look closer to home if you care about pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are they the only polluters in the world or something? Per capita Ireland is one of the worst, so you should look closer to home if you care about pollution.

Quoting per capital is nonsense, nothing we do will effect the global climate it's a tax grab and some ordinary idiots in the street are supporting politicans with that narritive, we should have been on the streets looking for Pascal's head for the carbon tax and refusing to give us the 2 cent on fuel he's literally thieving off us on top of the carbon tax.
    We need to stop pumping human **** into our rivers and beaches before we even think about anywhere else.
    We're recovering from a friggin ice age of course the planets going to warm and there's sweet fa Pascal and his taxes can do about it. 2/3 degrees will do Ireland no harm over the next couple of thousand years.
    Greta should be in school, she's a lot to learn yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

JJayoo wrote: »
    How long would it take to make a trip like this?

And will her father/team be going with her or are they going to fly while Greata has to spend weeks on a boat.

It's pure bollox, as long as she isn't chartering a private jet what is the issue with her taking occasional flights. Once on the continent she can use rail but having to bend over backwards to prove a point is stupid.

At her age she can afford to take time to travel, and the journey in life is what it is all about...

Quoting per capital is nonsense, nothing we do will effect the global climate it's a tax grab and some ordinary idiots in the street are supporting politicans with that narritive, we should have been on the streets looking for Pascal's head for the carbon tax and refusing to give us the 2 cent on fuel he's literally thieving off us on top of the carbon tax.
    We need to stop pumping human **** into our rivers and beaches before we even think about anywhere else.
    We're recovering from a friggin ice age of course the planets going to warm and there's sweet fa Pascal and his taxes can do about it. 2/3 degrees will do Ireland no harm over the next couple of thousand years.
    Greta should be in school, she's a lot to learn yet.

Nothing to worry about? Man made climate change and global warming don't exist as we are only recovering from an ice age? Excellent. Stupid scientists.

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    At her age she can afford to take time to travel, and the journey in life is what it is all about...

Travelling for weeks on a small boat with three strangers and a baby isn't exactly my idea of fun.

Travelling for weeks on a small boat with three strangers and a baby isn't exactly my idea of fun.

You're missing the point of why she is doing this.

You're missing the point of why she is doing this.

I was replying directly to another poster who said

"the journey in life is what it is all about"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

I was replying directly to another poster who said

"the journey in life is what it is all about"

That might be her idea of fun, and it's her journey so leave her to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement