Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, sorta the same as expecting a sixteen year old with Aspergers to be the voice of a scientific phenomena she has no clue about??

Except she isn't and nobody expects that at all.

She's merely asking the leaders of the world to listen to the scientific community on the issue of climate change.

Why is it so, so difficult for some people to get this. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thargor wrote: »
    The majority of electric cars will be charged at night when the country is running on renewables, the percentage of power coming from renewables makes huge jumps every year, this is true across the world, led by China and India.
    Anyway the massive waste and greenhouse gas emissions that go into getting fossil fuels to the pump only for most of that energy to be wasted by internal combustion engines (theoretical max is 40% efficiency) is criminal.

Unfortunately is little better than an often repeated urban myth The country does not run at night on 'renewables". The coal and gas fired power stations do not magically become inactive. We are currently importing biomas from Australia which is shipped here by tanker which use hundreds of thousands of gallons of fossil fuel. Again more tokenism. It remains that currently over 70 % of electricity produced here comes from fossil fuels.

As for China etc - The Chinese state is still commissioning huge numbers of new coal power station both in China itself and also many other developing nations and plan to fo do for the foreseeable future. And talking of energy wastage - the loss of generated power from remote wind and solar generators due to transmission loss is huge. So no EVs are not some magical solution with our current set up. Maybe in some distant future but at the moment they are largely eyewash imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Tony EH wrote: »
    Except she isn't and nobody expects that at all.

She's merely asking the leaders of the world to listen to the scientific community on the issue of climate change.

Why is it so, so difficult for some people to get this. :pac:

And Jeremy Clarkson wasn’t asking everyone to have a tyre fire every night. Yet his opinion is invalid. Laughable double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

And Jeremy Clarkson wasn’t asking everyone to have a tyre fire every night. Yet his opinion is invalid. Laughable double standards.

Clarkson opening his gob to pour scorn on a kid.

Yeh. His opinion isn't worth shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    Unfortunately is little better than an often repeated urban myth The country doess not run at night on 'renewables". The coal and gas fired power stations do not magically become inactive. We are currently importing biomas from Australia which is shipped here by tanker which use hundreds of thousands of gallons of fossil fuel. Again more tokenism. It remains that currently over 70 % of electricity produced here comes from fossil fuels.

As for China etc - The Chinese state is still commissioning huge numbers of new coal power station both in China itself and also many other developing nations and plan to fo do for the foreseeable future. And talking of energy wastage - the loss of generated power from remote wind and solar generators due to transmission loss is huge. So no EVs are not some magical solution with our current set up. Maybe in some distant future but at the moment they are largely eyewash imo.

All you're doing here is supporting the argument that work needs to be done. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

Swing and a miss. Strike 134.
    Her only submission to the US congress was the IPCC report on climate change.

A trite golf analogy? Yup I'd say that's about right Swiiiing!!!!! Lol.

Far from you choosing to ignore her many rants at many venues over the last year - where she repeatedly intoned about the end of civilisation and yes even at the UN congress where she blamed all the adults in the room and generally went off the rails about others wrecking her 'childhood' and her 'future' ...

That you chose to ignore all that is truely deeply worrying. It's as if all critical faculty is suspended whilst the child greta is held up as some holy grail of the climate movement. Her message has indeed been strong - between tearful tantrums and indignation she has repeatedly told all and sundry to feel the fear and panic. Whatever this kid is doing it's not doing the credentials of the climate movement any favours - no matter how much all of it is inexplicably glossed over time and time again. Luckily for the rest of us - social media provides a comprehensive record of her spoutings to date and the fact is the claims made about gretas supposed only message do not stand up to scrutiny.

All you're doing here is supporting the argument that work needs to be done. Thanks for that.

Just pointing out that which is obvious ;)
    You're welcome ...

Btw do you have to reply to everyone's comments on here? I think you get mark's for effort if little else ...

Just pointing out that which is obvious ;)
    You're welcome ...

So, now that you can see that we are already doing some things, and that more needs to be done, I trust you will support anyone advocating for progress in any way rather than expressing cynicism and negativity while misinterpreting and misunderstanding and seeking to silence those trying to be proactive.

So, now that you can see that we are already doing some things, and that more needs to be done, I trust you will support anyone advocating for progress in any way rather than expressing cynicism and negativity while misinterpreting and misunderstanding and seeking to silence those trying to be proactive.

Lol - See previous if you are still confused ...

Do you teach your grandmother to suck eggs or like greta are you going to tell us all - how it is?

And still haven't explained the inexplicable greta worship no?

Sorry if you dont understand what is posted. But no matter I can lend you a very good dictionary to help with some of the basic comprehension issues if that will help ...

See above ...

Do you teach your grandmother to suck eggs or like greta - are you going to tell us all - how it is?

And still haven't explained the inexplicable greta worship no?

Sorry if you dont understand what is posted. But no matter I an lend you a very good dictionary to help with done of the basic comprehension issues if that will help ...

Cannot explain what doesn't exist.

Appreciation for her massive efforts in creating awareness, and an increasing conversation on the need for change does not equate to worship.

(Grandmother and sucking eggs? As much sense as usual...)

• Advertisement

Cannot explain what doesn't exist. Appreciation for her massive efforts in creating awareness, and an increasing conversation on the need for change does not equate to worship.

Choosing to ignore the teenagers rantings and lambasting any one pointing these out is truely inexplicable - whether you chose to accept that or otherwise. As stated her ministrations and fear and panic protestations are doing more harm than good. Its truely bizarre you cannot see any of that. But there we go ...

Grandmother + eggs ...
    It's an old expression which details how some would laughably try to lecture others on that which is already evident ....

Choosing to ignore the teenagers rantings and lambasting any one pointing these out is truely inexplicable - whether you chose to accept that or otherwise. As stated her ministrations and fear and panic protestations are doing more harm than good. Its truely bizarre you cannot see any of that. But there we go ...

In what way?

7M+ people joined protests in the last week calling for change. the biggest global demonstration in human history.

Do you think it should be possible to fix after one talk at the UN?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

In what way?

7M+ people joined protests in the last week calling for change. the biggest global demonstration in human history.

Do you think it should be possible to fix after one talk at the UN?

You're wasting your time talking to that guy. He always has to have the last say in everything. Like a petulant child.

In what way?
    7M+ people joined protests in the last week calling for change. the biggest global demonstration in human history. Do you think it should be possible to fix after one talk at the UN?

Did I even suggest that gretas post apocalyptic doomsdayism and tantrums could fix anything?

This might help understand some of the issues though ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-anxiety
    (Eco) anxiety is mirrored by apocalyptic treatment of the theme in movies such as The Road, in which a father and son scavenge in a bleak world set after a major extinction event. People may have nightmares about such ideas and become very worried. For example, one child was so concerned about the threat of drought caused by climate change that he refused to drink water, lest millions die as a result. This condition can involve immobilization, manic re/activity, exhaustion, and insomnia.This indicates that, like general anxiety, eco-anxiety occurs on a spectrum and can be beneficial or harmful to the individual's life depending on the strength of the emotion.
    Swedish schoolgirl Greta Thunberg, who started the school strike for climate, warned to be extremely concerned about the matter: "...I don’t want you to be hopeful, I want you to panic."[When she was younger, she fell into a depression and she has claimed that this was because of her worries about climate change.
    The term "eco-angst" has also been suggested.

If you dont like wiki - google it - theres lots of good information out there

I believe the condition is treatable ...

You're wasting your time talking to that guy. He always has to have the last say in everything. Like a petulant child.

I understand the motivations of some.
    I continue to engage mostly for 2 reasons.

1 - I'm not letting someone pessimist dominate the discussion and deny either the need for change or the positive effort that Greta is doing just so they can ultimately say 'everyone agrees with me' because no one is arguing with them.

2 - That poster has suggested their motivation for disagreeing with Greta is one of 7 or 8 different reasons at this stage and it is interesting (to some extent) watch them move from one to the next.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Less of the personal comments. Keep on topic and attack the post, not the poster

Did I even suggest that gretas post apocalyptic doomsdayism and tantrums could fix anything?

This might help though ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-anxiety

If you dont like wiki - google it - theres lots of good information out there

I believe the condition is treatable ...

Yawn.
    Of the 7M who have actively protested, just how many cases have you heard of this ego-angst?

I've no doubt Greta did suffer, I've no doubt others do and will, but to suggest that she would be better to stay quiet because of this condition will need a lot more evidence.

Your (current) argument is akin to US government targeting e-cigs with blanket bans after 14 deaths nationwide this year while 1300 die daily from traditional smoking which continue to be sold openly.

I understand the motivations of some. I continue to engage mostly for 2 reasons. 1 - I'm not letting someone pessimist dominate the discussion and deny either the need for change or the positive effort that Greta is doing just so they can ultimately say 'everyone agrees with me' because no one is arguing with them.2 - That poster has suggested their motivation for disagreeing with Greta is one of 7 or 8 different reasons at this stage and it is interesting (to some extent) watch them move from one to the next.

Pessimist (sic) or simply dont like a realist pointing out what is wrong with this whole panic and fear movement? No? Think about it.

But why the stated need to dominate the discussion as was also pointed out by another poster - over 10% of all comments?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111394415&postcount=4840

It remains many other posters here have different opinions - that you do not agree with them is irrelevant to your stated aims of bashing everyone else to death with assorted gretacisms

Of note - you jumped on my reply to another poster - and yet here you chose to endlessly barrage others because they (nor I) share your views. Very very strange indeed ...
    Yawn....

Nope not engaging with that type of rubbish any more. But I'd suggest if you are feeling tired get your vitamin B12 checked. Supposedly helps with mental fatigue. Bye ....

Pessimist (sic) or simply a realist pointing out what is wrong with this whole panic and fear movement? No? Think about it.

But why do you feel the need to dominate the discussion as was pointed out by another poster - over 10% of all comments?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111394415&postcount=4840

It remains many other posters here have different opinions - that you do not agree with them is irrelevant to your stated aims of bashing everyone else to death with assorted gretacisms

Of note - you jumped on my reply to another poster - and yet here you chose to endlessly barrage me because I do not share your views. Very very strange indeed ...

Nope not engaging with that type of rubbish any more. But I'd suggest if you are feeling tired get your vitamin B12 checked. Supposedly helps with mental fatigue. Bye ....

A - It is a discussion forum
    B - I've no idea the number of posts I have here, but I am posting to counter what I perceive to be nonsense or falsehoods.
    C- Not at all surprising that you see your view being challenged as you being barraged.

There needs to be action, Greta is advocating for there to be action, the arguments against her are wide and varied but consistent in their absence of making sense. Too often, progress is stifled through poor understanding of the reality or a desire to maintain a status quo. I don't care which camp you are located in, though I have my suspicions, but there needs to be progress made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I find this piece of "news" very, very strange.

The news is that there's no news??

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1179086612178915328?s=19

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1179086612178915328?s=19

No news as in not climate related news? Glaciers 'calve' on a cyclical basis. It's a big chunk of ice which has become detached - so newsworthy I suppose especially the danger to shipping such obstacles may pose ...

Its not that different to making the claim for example (whilst talking about climate change) that 'people are dying' and it makes the news. Yes indeed people die all the time. However in the last 20 years, the largest cause of death related to natural disasters was the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami - when a quarter of a million people died and although that was unrelated to any supposed climatic event - it still made the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

No news as in not climate related news? Glaciers 'calve' on a cyclical basis. It's a big chunk of ice which has become detached - so newsworthy I suppose especially the danger to shipping such obstacles may pose ...

Its not that different to making the claim for example (whilst talking about climate change) that 'people are dying' and it makes the news. Yes indeed people die all the time. However in the last 20 years, the largest cause of death related to natural disasters was the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami - when a quarter of a million people died and although that was unrelated to any supposed climatic event - it still made the news.

There's no deaths involved here though is there? A piece of ice broke, like it does every single year. Bit like reporting leaves falling off a tree in autumn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

It's amazing the Saint Greta worshippers keep going on "she's just saying listen to scientists."

Why does a kid saying listen to scientists make you listen to scientists? What does that say about the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Aside from being a potential shipping hazard, it has no effect on sea level.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

There's no deaths involved here though is there? A piece of ice broke, like it does every single year. Bit like reporting leaves falling off a tree in autumn.

Didnt say there were. It's a comparative example. It might not have been climate related news - it's still news. Especially due to the size of the piece of ice which broke off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Traffic chaos as farmers drive their tractors to The Hague protest
    The farmers are heading for the Malieveld close to parliament, where tens of thousands are expected to join the protests. The demonstration has been prompted by a suggestion from coalition party D66 that Dutch livestock farming should be slashed to meet commitments on reducing nitrogren emissions. Farming organisations say their members are sick of being described by politicians, the media and activists as pollutors and animal abusers.

source

https://twitter.com/ohboywhatashot/status/1178788187340247040

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Is Greta back on her boat in the middle of Atlantic heading home?

manster wrote: »
    Is Greta back on her boat in the middle of Atlantic heading home?

No.

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1178770311476633600

^^^ preaching to sheep by the looks of it. Must be trying out a new speech :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

^^^ preaching to sheep by the looks of it. Must be trying out a new speech :pac:

Bet she only wants the white sheep to change their ways

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement