Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What boardsies would you bring back?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

As for the OP’s question, I know there are absolutely loads of posters I’d love to see around here again. The sad thing is, I only remember them when I read old threads.

I totally forgot about lots of names til they cropped up here. Starbelgrade! Blast from the past

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This is therapeutic.

This. No doubt a mod will be along shortly with a cease & desist order, but it's nice to finally be able to openly call out his bullsh!t for what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The sad thing is, I only remember them when I read old threads.

Ditto, and as I was reading thru this thread other names popped up that I go, ahhh yeah!
    They were a cool poster!

Then I find out that maybe they are still around here and then find that they may very well be another poster that I think is pretty cool ;)

_Dara_ and anna080 being 2 such examples :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

He said I talked about having cancer too much. Well, I do, it’s true. So I was really embarrassed.

No it's not true, OBD. And it wasn't true when you posted as -Dara-, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,742 ✭✭✭✭josip

Paddy147 for the DIY advice
    FredSwanson for the pics
    AndersonIsGod for the chaos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

The cohort that used to frequent The (original) Thunderdome were some of the funniest fookers boards had ever seen.

Captain Darling
    Yekahs / yitzak rabin
    Sergeant
    Quality
    Mad Chef
    Bronte
    Loopy
    Creeping Death

There were others too i cannot remember. Iirc it was a post from yekahs that ultimately led to the dome getting torpedoed as an admin took a personal issue with it.

I'm laughing at the ones you forgot as much as the ones you remember :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

josip wrote: »
    Paddy147 for the DIY advice
    FredSwanson for the pics
    AndersonIsGod for the chaos

Another sad BS artist. Some of what he had to say was occasionally amusing, but it was such a pity that a lad who obviously knew a lot about football was more happy putting that knowledge to use winding people up than actually talking properly about the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I'm laughing at the ones you forgot as much as the ones you remember :pac: :pac:
    Slidey, Degsy, Armin... I'm well able to hold my own usually but that place, scary. Hilarious too until it really felt like people were starting to mean it.

The Know Your Domers thread had me buckled. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Ifevera wiztherewas

e_e

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Slidey, Degsy, Armin... I'm well able to hold my own usually but that place, scary. Hilarious too until it really felt like people were starting to mean it.

The Know Your Domers thread had me buckled. :D
    I don't think it ever got to the point where people were starting to mean it. But then I didn't see the drama that brought the place down, what exactly happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Slidey, Degsy, Armin...

Ah yeah, the B-listers.
    I imagine you can still find them on Tinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

ODB. I didn't realise who you were.
    Great to hear from you, was afraid you were either unwell or that goon drove you away from here.
    Although, I have to admit, I thought he was just a blowhole narcissist, not a Walter Mitty.
    Just realised the strength of my trust in people.
    Wonder is it possible if he and Aonghus are the same too.
    Back on topic.
    I miss that guy, Liam. The one who had no money but had plans to buy a house to let.
    He always kept me entertained because I didn't know if he was just a guy with notions or an out and out fantasist.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Is Scofflaw gone?

I would have included him if I'd known. I no longer use the politics forum on a point of principle (the principle being I was banned once over a discussion about economic policy and took an enormous sulk).

I don't think Scofflaw was knowledgeable per se, in that he mentioned he had a background in IT as opposed to politics or economics, so he'd almost never critique a theory so long as the i's were dotted and the T's were crossed. Theory wasn't his thing; he had no time for pretense or boy-intellectuals, which is a good thing. It was his ability to read large volumes of policy and distill them down to their most crucial points that I found hugely enviable. He'd make a great journalist, if he isn't one.

I would wonder how his posts have aged, he was very pro-EU and in the Lisbon Referendums I remember him being pretty dismissive about concerns relating to it.
    He may have been technically right about a lot of it but very wrong about the roots of the worries considering how much more vulnerable Ireland will be to negative QMV now the UK is leaving, EU armies being publicly talked about and the signing up to PESCO etc, lot of talk of pressure on Irish corporation tax rates.

Also didnt have some strange views on what was or wasnt state aid?

Basically he was as an ideological a poster as anyone is, with a better grasp of overly complicated texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭This is it

ODB. I didn't realise who you were.
    Great to hear from you, was afraid you were either unwell or that goon drove you away from here.
    Although, I have to admit, I thought he was just a blowhole narcissist, not a Walter Mitty.
    Just realised the strength of my trust in people.
    Wonder is it possible if he and Aonghus are the same too.
    Back on topic.
    I miss that guy, Liam. The one who had no money but had plans to buy a house to let.
    He always kept me entertaining because I didn't know if he was just a guy with notions or an out and out fantasist.

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Pa Dee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

bluewolf wrote: »
    I totally forgot about lots of names til they cropped up here. Starbelgrade! Blast from the past

Awww, Starbelgrade. Yeah, see that’s what I mean. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Permabear and Aonghus are very different in style, even if much of the content is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Permabear had no sense of humour, something you could never accuse AVB of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

begbysback wrote: »
    Well he posts a lot in the soccer forum so that would explain the name calling, and I’d agree completely inoffensive.

I think he was fed up of being wound up by a few opposing fans.

Mike65s closing post is a thing of beauty, though, a joy forever. Well worth looking up:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,742 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mike65s closing post is a thing of beauty, though, a joy forever. Well worth looking up:pac:

GDPR has killed that :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Gem!

I'm not getting over excited, Exclamation point was in the name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This thread started out like a funeral where people share happy memories of those departed but now everyone is pissed and the truth is coming out in the pub afterward!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

faceman wrote: »
    This thread started out like a funeral where people share happy memories of those departed but now everyone is pissed and the truth is coming out in the pub afterward!

Indeed. We even have the "I'm warning you" granny in the form of whomever is snipping posts.

ETA, before whoever it is sends me an angry PM about questioning mod decisions in-thread: I have no problem with mod actions once they are clearly laid out with the reason for the action by the mod in question. I might not agree with the reasoning behind them, but I won't argue with them. I do have an issue with snipped/deleted posts that have no accompanying note.

Also, apologies if the edit/snip/mod note is there and I just can't see it on the touch site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Great for popcorn sales.....

faceman wrote: »
    Boards' Jimmy Savile moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Boards' Jimmy Savile moment.
    Was that not already in the sexual harassment thread tho? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Hugo Stiglitz
    tomwaterford
    Winterlong
    Menas
    Missbubbles78, or something similar
    Slasher McGurk
    Mike Oxlong and all of his other incarnations :)

There are lots more I'm sure. Also, I'm not the brightest at spotting re regs.

Tom was one that I had forgotten. I was just after writing a PM to him and wasn't able to send it because he had just closed his account.

He always struck me as a sound guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I will admit that there have been no memorable posters that immediately popped into my mind. I do vaguely remember a poster called phasers who seemed to come across as a nice person. That's about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,468 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I will admit that there have been no memorable posters that immediately popped into my mind. I do vaguely remember a poster called phasers who seemed to come across as a nice person. That's about it really.

Who are you?

• Advertisement

Tom was one that I had forgotten. I was just after writing a PM to him and wasn't able to send it because he had just closed his account.

He always struck me as a sound guy.

Totally agree, seemed like a lovely fella.

Menas/Whiskeyman was the same person, loved his posts,Hugo was great also...there used to be great craic on the thread years ago, then a warning about no chatting and it would quieten for a day and then back to normal until the next warning.

<snip>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement