Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭kk.man

It was a non event here. You really have to question RTÉ dedicating a Prime Time program and a Radio program to it. It was fairly evident last night that the majority of the country would not be effected.

I am all for the adage "better be safe than sorry" but I think This was ott and now Met Éireann are out trying to justify their response.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It's sad when the government and the national broadcaster have to send out these messages.

A lot to be said for common sense and personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,256 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

kk.man wrote: »
    It was a non event here. You really have to question RTÉ dedicating a Prime Time program and a Radio program to it. It was fairly evident last night that the majority of the country would not be effected.

I am all for the adage "better be safe than sorry" but I think This was ott and now Met Éireann are out trying to justify their response.

It was evident yesterday morning that the central pressure wasn't going down to 952 hPa like what was forecast and thus it wasn't going to be as bad as forecasted but there's never a 100 % call on these things either but there were signs it mightnt be all bad.

In defence of ME they had a bit of an inkling that it wasn't an apocalypse and took Cork out of the Orange warning.

Going on the wind actually now this morning here it's still yellow warning territory.

I'd blame RTE for the coverage. They just wanted a diversion from Brexit for a little while and it gave them that.
    RTE news has just been going a little Fox news lately since Catriona Perry returned from the U.S. and became an anchor news reader. The climate side from Greta lately probably influenced a bit about the specials being devoted to it.

They'll be some distraught people today that it didn't materialize into a hurricane Ophelia and that in the cold light of today it's now back to the harsh reality of Boris Johnson, Arlene Foster taking backhanders from Russians, borders and Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Rte had a special news report on rte1 this morning. One clip showed a street sweeper/vacuum lorry on some street and a lad pull starting a leaf blower in front of it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In other news much more exciting than storm lorenzo daughter had a scan and has 3 kidneys. Never heard of that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'm delighted this storm didn't amount to much damage but I'm getting sick of weather knowalls. I was in a hardware at 7 this morning in a hurry and the flute behind the counter made a point of telling who he was serving that he wasn't a meteorologist but even he knew this storm would amount to nothing yesterday. Dumbass couldn't find what I was looking for on the system in front of him though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Odelay

Rte had a special news report on rte1 this morning. One clip showed a street sweeper/vacuum lorry on some street and a lad pull starting a leaf blower in front of it. :rolleyes:
    There’ll be some sort of pullout special on it in the papers, just like the whistle special in Fr Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭emaherx

whelan2 wrote: »
    In other news much more exciting than storm lorenzo daughter had a scan and has 3 kidneys. Never heard of that before.

All functioning kidneys?
    Keep her around always handy to have a few spares :D

emaherx wrote: »
    All functioning kidneys?
    Keep her around always handy to have a few spares :D

Ye 2 on one side and 1 on the other. The strange thing is her dad only has 1 kidney.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭emaherx

Ye 2 on one side and 1 on the other. The strange thing is her dad only has 1 kidney.

Ha ha.... guess who’s getting best Christmas/birthday presents from now on ;)

https://giphy.com/gifs/season-10-the-simpsons-10x8-3orieXfFxrMt0J5GuI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Your in the money there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's that time of year where I have to tax, insure, service and DOE my Landcruiser.

Insurance - got original quote from my broker of €690 with bonus protection, €600 without. Rang another broker (well known company). He could do it for €435 with same company with bonus protection. Rang back original broker as I'm with them for years. They agreed to €450...........€240 saving fro me.

Service - took it into main Toyota dealer. Mad list of things wrong with it. I have it 11 years and usually serviced it my self. Nothing wrong with it so far.
    Sample of their quotes;
    New battery €200 - bought an Exide one myself for €100
    Air Intake & pollen filter, wiper blades Total €102 - bought myself for €30.....saving of €72.

Maddenning when you think about it. €410 savings on just those items.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Father in Law had three kidneys too, donated his body to science eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Unusual indeed.

Anyone who receives a transplant ends up with three, I’d presumed they’d take an old one out but my sister in law had a transplant and apparently it’s simpler and safer to leave both old ones in place and add in a third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

It's that time of year where I have to tax, insure, service and DOE my Landcruiser.

Insurance - got original quote from my broker of €690 with bonus protection, €600 without. Rang another broker (well known company). He could do it for €435 with same company with bonus protection. Rang back original broker as I'm with them for years. They agreed to €450...........€240 saving fro me.

Service - took it into main Toyota dealer. Mad list of things wrong with it. I have it 11 years and usually serviced it my self. Nothing wrong with it so far.
    Sample of their quotes;
    Air Intake & pollen filter, wiper blades Total €102 - bought myself for €30.....saving of €72.

All these kind of things now are a pure rip off i'll tell you

We had to get rid of the Pajero a couple of years ago because every time it was going for the DOE it was costing us over 1k to get it to pass - and the thing was running absolutely perfect.

So had to go for a van in the end and the running costs are much lower. Although the jeep is great for in and out of fields and stuff like that.

It's a sad state of affairs when a farmer can't justify to a jeep to himself

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Panch18 wrote: »

We had to get rid of the Pajero a couple of years ago because every time it was going for the DOE it was costing us over 1k to get it to pass - and the thing was running absolutely perfect.

So had to go for a van in the end and the running costs are much lower. Although the jeep is great for in and out of fields and stuff like that.

Took out a brand new commercial policy this week, no no claims bonus but they are mirroring some of my private car policy bonus.

€460 with insuremyvam.ie

Panch18 wrote: »

Sample of their quotes;
    Air Intake & pollen filter, wiper blades Total €102  - bought myself for €30.....saving of €72.

So had to go for a van in the end and the running costs are much lower.  Although the jeep is great for in and out of fields and stuff like that.

I got rid of the patrol last year because I couldn't weld the chassis anymore aswell . Bought a 09 vito with a years test for 2500 . The only thing I miss the jeep for is getting in and out of fields other than that the van is perfect for everything else . Hard to even buy a jeep out  of the farm account (ours anyhow ! ) . 20k for anything half fresh I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sample of their quotes;

Petrol and Diesel to rise next week too - this government really have it in for the working man:mad:

Birdnuts wrote: »

Sample of their quotes;

Petrol and Diesel to rise next week too - this government really have it in for the working man:mad:
    Did I hear a rise in tax and a rise in fuel?

Anyone see or hear the fireball in the sky this evening?

It was seen from cork to Donegal and heard up north across the border.

Apparently could have been a kaput satellite re entering earths atmosphere.

• Advertisement

The wife and kids were coming back from handball and saw it. They stopped the car to watch and said it was class. Herself took a few pics but she said they weren't great.
    What was it?

Bullocks wrote: »
    The wife and kids were coming back from handball and saw it. They stopped the car to watch and said it was class. Herself took a few pics but she said they weren't great.
    What was it?

It must have been a satellite.
    Seen over in England and Scotland too.

Follow down the Twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1180217765799567360?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I heard a noise at 9.30-45pm and thought it was our contractor coming (a few weeks early) in the driveway with the dung spreader - that sort of low rumbling noise you get with a empty trailer/tanker. The dogs were barking so I asked OH to look out the window but there was no sign of lights.

Base price wrote: »
    I heard a noise at 9.30-45pm and thought it was our contractor coming (a few weeks early) in the driveway with the dung spreader - that sort of low rumbling noise you get with a empty trailer/tanker. The dogs were barking so I asked OH to look out the window but there was no sign of lights.

That's the same description of the noise from up the north.
    There's a Facebook link buried in that Twitter thread of people reporting that noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That's the same description of the noise from up the north.
    There's a Facebook link buried in that Twitter thread of people reporting that noise.
    In fairness OH asked me earlier this evening when I was over the fields moving cattle "did you hear/see the ESB helicopter flying over the lines"

He still can't get that I grew up near Dublin Airport and unless one landed near me I wouldn't notice it.

From the science point of view. A deep solar minimum like we're experiencing right now. Means our magnetic field is not as strong as it otherwise would be and our atmosphere is slightly closer to earth.

Any satellites that are just on the brink of staying up there and on the edge of our atmosphere. Could/are being pulled on a trajectory downwards. Hence ^^^^

Article explains what the solar minimum does. But doesn't extrapolate that the deepest solar minimum we're experiencing right now in space measuring times is not that terrible good news for satellites especially ones that never factored in conditions such as these.
    https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/news-articles/solar-minimum-is-coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The way I'd look at the was that the original broker was trying to rob you of €255, and when you gave him the second chance he still wouldn't beat it even though he basically admitted it. I know what I'd be saying to their likes!
    Buyer beware I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tileman

Rang the Dept with a query on tams the other day as I’m about to go over 40 for yfs. The dept lad said they had a proposal In with minister to extend it by a year to 41. Announcement expected in next two weeks. Any one else hear any rumors of this

Raised by the village was on earlier. Thought the lad was hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,104 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I was on David Clarkes farm yesterday for a charity walk for Jack and Jill. it's a neolithic site, the walk was about 4.5 kms and that was only on half the farm, lovely farm and all the historical stuff minded .

http://uisneach.ie/guided-tours

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement