Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

It can be taken at any time but it costs less if taken before end of warranty.

It can be taken for any car as long as it is serviced as per manufacturer specification.

I believe there’s mileage limit of 160,000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd nearly be tempted by the 135 excess policy.

185 quid to reduce excess by 200.

If no repairs you lose out but if any repair over 320 quid in the year you win.

Multiple repairs and you win big time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Maddic_Irl

Brought mine to dealer shortly after that post, they raised the issue with BMW, still waiting to hear the outcome. Will post their decision once I have it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Add another to the list - I looked at mine and the drivers side is faded as well.

My car is black and the fog light surround has a slightly grey/blue hue to it compared to the other side and the rest of the bodywork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What kind of electric range are people getting on the newer 192 onwards 530e?

My daily commute to work is about 8kms

I'd stick it on charge in work, am i right in thinking a 530e can only charge at 3kw per hour anyway?? I have a spot there for it.

Might tip out to the bank or back home at lunch so that would be about 16kms, should be fully charged leaving at lunchtime. Back on charge for 3 hours or so after lunch should be fully charged again.

8kms home again, possibly out to the parents house another 5kms away, maybe a spin somewhere with the missus (but not really during the week to be honest) then into work again next morning. Thats about 20 to 30 kms or so between leaving work and arriving back next morning. Anything else discretionary.

I could plug in at home too I suppose but might get away with work only charging. I like the idea of my regular trips being on electric as much as possible. Probably about 50 to 60kms a day I'd be doing, charging twice in work. Just thinking of it now the smaller battery might go very damn close if I wanted to spend a little less.

I realise a long spin I'm driving a heavy car with a 2 litre turbo engine with a heavy battery but I think I'll fine with that.

The older battery would do that so I’d say the newer 12 kWh battery will do it with spare. Especially in this weather.

Our 172 showed 30km this morning. I’ve heard of 50km showing on the newer cars.

Your correct on the charging speeds. 3.6 kW or thereabouts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I have a 192 - On a single charge I'd typically get around 40-42kms.

If I am really careful and do a single low speed (70-80kmh) trip I can get into the high 40's , my personal best from a single charge was 54kms but that was on a warm summer day with no AC and really trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

I'm getting 38km to 40km since the weather improved. Generally around 34km in winter, 30km with aircon on. This is with a 181.

That's very good from what I assume is the smaller battery.

Mine is an xDrive which lowers the range a little bit from what I gather due to the increased weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Yeah I'm pleasantly surprised by the range since I got it last year, wasn't expecting to be able to do most my driving on battery alone but have averaged out a 89mpg over 10k km's. That's with a 40k commute twice a week and at least one long trip over 80k once a week. It wouldn't suit everyone but for my needs I can't fault the car in terms of range or punch when you need it😉..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Looks like it would suit me alright lads. Just doing some man maths now..... I suppose I am doing 60kms a day or so, it's about 900kms every 2 weeks which is a 130 euro tank of diesel full to empty.

10 charges a week during work of 9kw would be 90 kw at 22c per kW which is around 20 euro per week.

I'd imagine I'd still use 10 to 20 euro of petrol as well so looking at 30 to 40 euro per week fuel bill, 20 of which will be paid by employer. So I'd be cutting my fuel costs from 65 a week to 10 or 20 like for like.

That's somewhere in the region of 200 a month in fuel savings which will take the sting out of the purchase price

Not justifying buying a 35 to 45k car just for fuel savings as you often see here, I do actually fancy a 250bhp petrol electric car and coming up a few years too

When I made the change this time last year I looked at those savings and set them against the overall cost of running the car.

The reduced fuel bill , lower tax and oddly a lower insurance bill set against the previous car costs covered the increased monthly cost of the purchase price for me.

So I got a much newer/nicer car for essentially no more money each month - That's what swung it for me.

And that was when fuel was in the €1.40/€1.50 price range..

I dropped mine in for Service this morning and mentioned the faded trim and the guy said "Yes , we've seen that a few times, especially on 7 Series "

After a review by the warranty person they have agreed to replace the trim under warranty - It's now on order so it'll get replaced next week sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Good to see they are replacing it. It shouldn’t happen in a “premium’ vehicle in the first place.

Other manufacturers get berated for such simple failings but they wouldn’t have the BMW advertisement/mind altering program that many fall for.

Great to hear! I’m still waiting for warranty to get back to me.

I'd follow up with them.

I dropped the car in at 9 am for a Brake fluid service and mentioned the issue and they had a decision on it by the time I collected the car at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

So my 182 is out of warrenty since December. Is this covered under some extended warranty? Do you mind asking which dealer?

My closest is Kearys in Cork and to be honest, they are a disaster.

No idea on extended warranty , mine is a 192 and just coming to the end of the initial 3 year warranty.

I was dealing with Conlans in Limerick

• Advertisement

I’m waiting on an answer through Kearys in Cork for over a month, when @Quin_Dub got an answer for the same thing within hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Right, sorry in advance, rant incoming

I’m done with BMW and its all because of Kerry’s in Cork. I’ve had too many issue or things not being satisfactory for a “premium brand” after 2 cars.

Went in yesterday to discuss and show the issue with the faded trim and from the very second I started, the service agent pretty much gave me nothing. He started out by saying “I could come out and take a look but there is nothing I can do, you have to book it ion for a diagnostic”. Fine, but they want to charge me 195 for an hours diagnostic (put it up on a ramp and take some pictures) and potentially BMW “might” fix it under a goodwill policy. Some horse s**t.

I said that its a know issue and I can point to 3 or 4 instance online where other customers have the issue and he says that you’d have to be proving that it was washed with BMW products or someone didn’t spill something on it (even though he admitted someone else called with the issue - Presume that’s you @Maddic_Irl )

Potential scenarios:

-I either do nothing and leave it

-Pay the 195 for the diagnostic and replacement (which they may not free of charge as the car is out of warranty)

-Pay it, get it sorted and then fight my case for a refund

Horrible customer service

Absolute horrendous service, unfortunately not uncommon too. They simply don’t give a crap.

You could try email bmw Ireland direct and see if that gets you somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

I put a 2018 530e into VRT calculator and it's coming back as €1864... is it really that low to import one of these?

Or is there other charges if anyone has any experience doingcould explain?

Thanks

Yes vrt wise, they are very good to bring in but unless you can get one in the north on a north plate of suitable year, the vat and duty will mean it's not worth it.

Even at that, all those available in northern Ireland are just priced against Irish prices so no real benefit.

So for arguments sake you buy a car in the North you just pay VRT.

But you buy a car in the UK you pay VRT and VAT on it?

You have to buy the right car in the north.

If it's been there and is registered there pre brexit, yes just vrt.

UK means vrt, vat and duty.

Newer stuff can also be brought in from north too but I'm not sure what the situation is on that.

But as you say it's priced 1 for 1 really so no benefit as such

Anyone with one of these able to tell me can they fit a newborns buggy in the boot?

• Advertisement

They said the same to me, they needed the car to do "tests" so had to book it in, infairness they rang me 3 or 4 times during the day, asking what cleaning products I used on the car, I told them and also said the same cleaning product I use on the other gloss black trim that's not fading. Still waiting on an answer and will follow up with them again this week, would be very useful if I had the case number for a similar claim that was successful, is this possible @Quin_Dub ?

For another potential scenario, you can buy genuine BMW ones here for €42 each. Bought my grille from them.

Advertisement