Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Mine is the 12kw/hr version , it's a 192 (September).

At the moment it typically shows me a range of 35/36 when I get in to the car , but I usually manage to get slightly better than that (38/39).

Back during the summer I was regularly getting 5 or 6 km more than that - My best was 54km but that was me really trying one day during the summer..

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Thanks, I am going to get into an independent BMW garage to have a look with their diagnostics to see what is causing it. I am also having the issue with the connected drive so could be a similar issue. My software is up to date according to the BMW website so I don't think it is that. Hopefully its just the TCU battery that needs to be replaced and not the the whole unit!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

MyBMW app not really working either. It will only provide an update from the last time the car was turned off. It will not provide real time update when I refresh the app, and I can't use the remote functions like flash the lights.

Also, all my BMW remote services do not expire for another year so not that either.

I do get a Connected Drive connection every now and then and everything works fine, GPS Status will be 3DFix and all satellites, longitude, latitude etc. readings are there in the Service menu. However, when I turn off the car it is gone again, and sometimes I might not get a connection again for weeks. I do only short journeys and the couple of times it seems to have connected the longer I am in the car, like over 30 mins or so.

Seems like we have similar enough issues, to summarize what I have down at the moment - Sat nav location, Car tracker location, can't send directions to car via app, voice commands, Bluetooth connection, Bluetooth mic, connected drive (licence has over 2 years left) emergency call system malfunction. I can still send pre-conditioning request to the car and get updates on charging status etc. so that side of the connectivity seems to be okay strangely.

If I send directions to the car via the app they will arrive as a BMW message, but only when I have ConnectedDrive connectivity. So they can arrive 2 weeks after sending them!

I'm in for software update next Mon so will update on how that goes.

• Advertisement

Turns out there's a huge amount of condensation in the car, just saw the photos and it is drenched in the roof liner. The whole TCB unit is shot and needs replaced and the source of the condensation found. Looks to be quite a big job to fix now unfortunately.

So software update did not resolve it. They then looked into function error codes and the GPS antenna in the TCB Telematics Control Unit is faulty. They are currently replacing the entire TCB unit so see how it goes.

Looks to be a very expensive job, the Tcb unit itself is €700. They said its extremely common on the 5 series with water ingress in the fin the main reason. Ensure they fix the cause as well or you will be back in a few months again.

If anyone here is considering a 5 series that's out of manufacturers warranty I would recommend you do your due diligence on this particular area of the car as this is a very common and expensive issue with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In all my 5 series over my life (I’ve had 8), we never had this issue!

• Advertisement

TCB unit being covered by BMW so will have a bill for diagnostic and installation only. Currently have a G30 but had an E60 and water got in under the shark fin, causing the diversity antenna to fail.

Not sure exactly why the TCB on the G30 failed but will get the info. after the new one is installed. 5 days for the TCB to come in from Germany as they are chassis-specfic apparently.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

How long are you out of warranty if you don't mind the question?

Interested to understand BMWs willingness to cover things like this longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Car is 181 and has 55kms. BMW rep said BMW can be good if your car is under 5 years, or 100km, but out of warranty. He said they will likely ask for a contribution but in this case they are covering the total cost of the TCB unit. The BMW dealer here logs a ticket with BMW UK and they get a response to the request in 24 hours. Mine was approved on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

BMW cover the high voltage battery on their PHEVs for 6 years or 100,000 km against failures of the high voltage battery as a result of manufacturing defects. I haven't been able to find what they calssify as manufacturing defects but I've read online that one measure is the depletion of the battery by no more than 25% in the first 6 years / 100k km. Has anybody gone about having the depletion rate checked? I'm don’t really think mine has a depletion rate of concern tbh but it's just that I'm not too far off the 100km and considered it might be worthwhile. At the moment on the older (2018) battery, I’m still 25km with heating on or close to 40km in warm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

Would you manage 25km with the heating I have the smaller battery and have asked several times for the battery to be checked when I left the car in and got no response on its health

• Registered Users Posts: 38 TheBhoys

An older post I know, I was just following this from the start and I see the VRT posts dropped off around the same time as the new rules came in around VRT.

Curious as to whether anyone has brought in any post 2018/2019 models since the updated legislation and how much VRT/Nox came too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It's not just VRT & NOx charges now though, there is the VAT issue & 10% import duty too. Added to that, UK prices have increased close to 50% in recent times & the €uro has weakened against sterling.

I looked at importing another new 530e recently & it's now barely worth it, if at all, even with the low rates of VRT on the 530e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Duty can be avoided if it meets certain requirements, under 3 years and no modifications, Vat has to paid here, but its possible to buy vat free in the UK, might not be easy but possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 TheBhoys

I thought as much but better to hear it from someone more experienced. Been looking at the 192 models here and was seeing if it would be any cheaper at all heading North but I’ll take that as a no given the previous hassle for VRT’ing!

Cheers for the info.

That's what I did in 2019. Bought a new 530e from a GB dealer, zero rated for export, VRT'd it & paid the VAT here. Repeated for a friend shortly afterwards too.

To repeat that now would cost €20k more.

There still might be some circumstances where a few €s could be saved importing now.

Sold my 530e & got more back for it that it cost me, after 2.5 years & 50k km. Never had a single issue with it. It was cheap to run - averaged 4.5l/100km (60mpg) plus some electricity, cheap to tax & still on the original tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Brexit is after screwing things, done a quick calculation, on 2 cars same year, spec etc, saving of 1500 euro, I could imagine some discount with the irish car but I did not include any transport or the 100 euro for the customs broker. Make a weekend away out of it and pick up a car idea.

https://www.sytner.co.uk/bmw/car-search/11972424-dohc-bmw-5-series-530e-se-4dr-auto/?utm_medium=aggregator&utm_source=autotrader&utm_campaign=uvl_deeplinking

A wrong VRT calculation might wipe that saving away, but doubt it would be ever in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

Im thinking of selling mine, kramer did you sell privately I've an 18 msport very high spec and thinking of changing to a tesla

Sold it into the trade last autumn. Joe Duffy BMW. They offered aprox. 15% less than BMW retail, which wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Toying with changing my 530e. It's a 191 model with 68k on the clock and I have been offered more for the car than I paid for it 2.5 years ago.

Mulling over what to move to. Was toying with a new i4 but it appears impossible to get one delivered this year. Considered a ~6 month old 530e but very few options out there with a solid spec.

Given serious thought towards a new Model 3 - long range model for now but the larger wheels of the performance model has thinking hard. Test drove one late last week and was pleasantly surprised. Dashboard is still a bit minimalist for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

That’s great the BMW held its value, I traded my Audi in recently, it was five years old and lost very little on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Just wondering how people fair on range when just focused on the petrol engine? I had a day trip with work from Cork to Dublin yesterday. Been a while since I did it as a round trip in 1 day.

Was nearly empty when I filled up in Cork (Cost of petrol is for another thread 🙄). Had about 70km in petrol range and battery was about 80% full. Filled it with 38.5 litters so there was still roughly about 4 litters floating around in the car. When I fill up, I don’t take much notice of the range as its always well over what you actually get (could show 650+ kms).

So, round trip I clocked 532km. 36.1 of that was electric so 495.9 on petrol. I had the heating on the whole trip at about 18/ 19 degrees, cruising for most of the drive at exactly 125kph on the clock (bar the m50 north bound at about 6.30pm when it was a bit of a slow moving car park for 20 minutes). My consumption has gone from 2 l/100km to 4.4 l / 100km

I was surprised that I got the fuel range warning when I was still about 20 km from home and that there was potentially reduced power and needed to fill up. When I arrived home I had pretty much 0 on the battery and 30km of range in petrol. App showing I have about 2 litters of petrol, I suspect it is slightly more.

I was kind of surprised that I used the full tank to be honest. For some reason I thought I’d get home with 100km still in the tank.

That's fairly consistent with my experiences so far - I have a round trip that I do reasonably regularly of about 550km.

The drive is almost all motorway except for about ~10km at either end. From a full tank and full battery I'd typically have about 50/60kms left on my return , sometimes a bit less.

Also - I've never had mine show more than about 550kms range when everything is full , although obviously I get closer to 600 in reality on that long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Have a 181 530e, and have been fairly astonished to see it's value continue to rise on carzone etc in the 18 months I've had it. My only gripe is it's the old battery, and I never quite make it through my daily driving without running out of juice. So getting tempted to move towards a 191 or newer and get that new battery. With the exception of weekend drives, the newer battery range will keep me happy for years, til the piggy bank is stuffed enough to make the full EV leap.

Curious to know with dealers how much a sellers market it is, are they likely to offer trade in value close to what its going to go on the forecourt for?

Advertisement