Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I sold 2014 Audi A6 privately for 3k more than any trade in offer or garage purchase offer a few weeks ago. Sold in 3 days too.

2018 530e prob worth twice what mine was and maybe outside what people will pay privately but I'd suggest you put it out to the market for a few weeks anyway and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭kirving

The €4k minimum repair quote I have here from BMW begs to differ. One cell need to be replaced at least, but it's potentially €8k if BMW Germany tell them that all battery modules need to be replaced, which is a distinct possibility. I've called three dealers, one here, one in the North and in the UK. Each of them have cars on their premises with the same story - so it's common enough.

Now I appreciate that calling the only place that they can be fixed is confirmation bias, but equally, you have nigh on zero possibility of fixing it outside of a dealer network. Believe me I'll be doing my best to do that though.

If you're buying an 330e or 530e outside of the dealer network, get a dealer to scan it for errors. A test drive will not show up the problem and it may not ever show up if you drive it when it's warm out only. Buy the BMW extended warranty, and move it on the day the warranty expires - better to take €4k hit on depreciation than on repairs - at least you're in a newer, warrantied car in the meantime.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have a chat with HB Denis on the Old Swords Road. He’s been dealing with cell repairs in the hybrids for years.

Also, MKW Motors in Baldonnell work on battery repairs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭kirving

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Maddic_Irl

What are your thoughts on run flats? Are the worth the premium? I carry a repair kit, compressor, etc.

• Advertisement

I ditched the RFT’s on the F10.

Put a space saver in the boot.

Still have the RFT’s on the G30. Will consider when they need replacing but the boot is so much smaller that a space saver will fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Run flats are basically re-enforced side walls to keep the structure of the tyre somewhat in place if it deflates, at the expense of some comfort and cost.

My decision to ditch them was based on the improved ride against the risk of being left stranded. For the latter I bought a compressor kit as if I have a slow puncture I'll never be more than 3-5 miles from a garage and can easily pump it up and make it there. If the tyre explodes then I have no spare and am stranded, but not sure the run flat could survive that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Maddic_Irl

Yeah, space saver probably not an option with the boot size.

Drove 4km on a run flat recently, tyre completely useless afterwards. Replaced both fronts with Pirelli P Zero with self seal (Not run flats), car rides much better. Had a couple issues with Dunlop Sport (I forget the rest) 245/35R20, within 2 weeks of fitting the front drivers side had developed a bulge (no obvious wheel trauma) and was replaced, a bulge on the passenger side was the cause of the recent occurrence (won't be buying Dunlop again). Can't see many circumstances where a repair kit won't get you out of trouble versus a run flat.

Edit: Tyre was useless due to the bulge but the shortish drive broke down the ridge where air was leaking between multiple threads. 

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We had pirelli seal inside on a Passat from new. These were not p zero but they were defective and one blew out in a major way at 2.5 years.

Pirelli replaced them but car was sold in the mean time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

From conversations with Tyre guys, Run flats are pretty much 1 puncture and done if you drive on them beyond what it might take to pull into the side of the road.

Any kind of distance running on the hardened rims and that's that.

• Advertisement

That’s the idea of a RFT. To get tou to your destination safely and then replace.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I accept that , but it's a bloody expensive way to resolve a puncture and save a bit of space/weight in the car at ~€300 a corner for 20" tyres as I have on mine.

Agree. I ditched the run flats back in 2005 on my 525d, then again in 2007 with the 535d, then again with the 2015 535d 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Any current owners thinking of switching to a full BEV, or having already done so, how do you feel the change suited you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Thinking about it alright, def go towards having the second car as a BEV as it has given the oh the confidence to drive in electric and get miles out of it.

But totally moving away from a diesel car anyway. We are weighing up the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

I'm strongly considering it now also but just can't seem to find anything available now with with decent range, spec and quality comparable to 530e. Model 3 would be my ideal choice but can't justify spending 52k on a car when I'm WFH 3 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Not comparable in regards build or interior finish. BMW is streets ahead.

My current plan is to hold off until the next generation 5 Series comes out next year and then pick up a 2nd hand BEV variant the following year - That would have my current 2019 530e at ~5 years old which is about the right time to be moving it on.

I’ve convinced my parents to ditch the 530e and into an i4. Hopefully arrives soon.

• Advertisement

Not streets ahead.

It’s better at some things and worse at others.

It totally depends on what your personal taste is.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

I agree, it's not comparable in many ways but the software, reliability of the electrical systems, motor and battery is streets ahead of my 530e.

The biggest problem with the 530e is the actual engine. If it doesn’t get enough use then it clogs up.

My 530e has had 2 vanos failures. First the actuator and then the Centre valve.

Common problem if the engine doesn’t get enough run time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Out of interest, has anyone run the maths on charging their 530e and cost? As prices have increased, I feel like that by January, it won't be worth charging the car based on how the cost electricity is going.

At the start of the year was I was charging on a night rate of 9.01c. So about 80c~ for a full 25 to 30kms of range (9kwh version). Now its 15.60c and soon to be 21.55c (which is mad considering that use to be my day rate this time last year). That’s now about €1.75~. By Jan/Feb next year I’m betting this will be €2/2.50. At that point I feel it'll probably be par with petrol / range for that price.

Maybe someone with a more mathematical / science head can tell me for sure? What’s the tipping point?

I think there's still a good way to go yet before Electric vs. Petrol gets close to parity.

Using a rough guide of 6l/100km (Which is quite generous for the 530e from my experience) then 100km of petrol driving costs about €11 euro today using €1.85/l as the price of petrol.

if you are getting ~30kms from a charge then 100kms of Electric is costing you around €6 at present and maybe moving to 7 or 8 euro on your pricing above.

Even if Petrol stays the same price which is highly unlikely , you are still be saving money using the Electric and if Petrol goes back over €2 as we move into the Winter months then you are saving even more.

How has your 9c per kWh jumped to 21c per kWh?

The night rate with energia is currently 9c.

The normal rate hasn’t been 9c so what situation were you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Electric Ireland.... Scandalous

These are all the night time rates over the last 12 months...

Get onto energia before they rise again. They were 8.6c/kWh on Monday, 9.6c/kWh yesterday for night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

In my current vw I get about 300 miles on half a tank = 35 litres. That currently costs about €67.

Model 3 rwd say does 250 miles per charge. 1 full charge = 60kw

On energia night rate its less than 8 cent but let's just use 8 cent as a round figure.

So €4.80 per charge and extrapolated out that's about €5.80 per 300 miles.

So for me as the energia rate is fixed for the next 12 months charging my car at home is still over 11 times cheaper than diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hope it's alright to share, but I'm selling my 530e currently if anyone interested.

201 M Sport, black, service pack inclusive, iDrive 7, the larger 12kWh battery, elec heated seats etc.

Been a lovely car but have a new car on the way so need to sell.

PM for more details

Advertisement