Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Spiral out - keep going

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭ skyblue46

Any news from that scan T?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ Treviso

Hey S, meant to update the log on that very item.

Had the scan on Wednesday. It was a FCE scan - https://fcescan.ie/ .It was a case of stripping down into the shorts, get some UV stickers on various parts of body and then get the back of my body scanned both standing still and in motion on a treadmill. Scans were available there and then so they were able to diagnose everything that needed work. On a whole, there is nothing seriously wrong with the back but it did find the source of my many recent issues.

From the standing still scan, it was noticeable that pelvis was slightly higher on the right hand side and was tilting slightly forward. Tilting forward not a major problem but the lateral shift to the right was an area of concern. After the motion scan, where I just walked normally on the treadmill, more conclusive evident was found - was great to be able to see the motion yourself. It could be seen that my pelvis rotates exclusively to the left, with no moment whatsoever on the right. My spine is also shifted a bit to the left and doesn't move about as much as it should. For the consultation afterwards, we spoke about how the lack of movement on the right hand side would have caused most of my recent issues with achilles & back obviously. Interestingly, it also may have caused the Mortons neuroma/syndrome on my left foot. If that is the case, then this has been going on well before I started running. May be getting progressively worse.

Now the rehab. Plenty of daily exercises that will focus on regaining motion into the pelvis/hip area, as well as strengthening over areas. Should just take up Salsa dancing i reckon. Definitely noticed when doing the exercises how one side is a lot easier than the other. Hopefully the right hand side will catch up quickly. I will go back in 2-3 months time for a rescan to see how things have hopefully improved.

All in all, it was a worthwhile expense to get this done (155 euro, but half covered under health insurance). Takes all the guesswork that a physio/osteopath would do - as Shakira says, the hips don't lie. Should there be no improvements with the exercises, I can bring these scans results to an osteopath and they find them useful for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Feel free to ask any questions on this - will be as transparent as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭ skyblue46

Thanks T. I'll keep an eye on how you get on with the exercises. The old cynic in me is cautious. I can't find any other references to FCE scan online except from their own site. I suppose I'm also afraid that it's a bit like Elverys gait analysis in that it produces an inevitable result but may not be the root issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭ Swashbuckler

Big sessions there man - great to see and it looks like you're handling it pretty well.

"No way is 6.10 my HMP"

Probably nitpicking but if your threshold is around 6min/mile per the session on the 5th then 6.10 for the HM would be pretty accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭ Lambay island

If you dont go go sub 60 in Dungarvan, you will be very close to it from your current training paces. If the body holds up and conditions are good, sub 62 will be very straightforward for you, I would have thought. Would you still plan to go off at 6 min miles or a bit more conservative at start and try and negative split it? Not familiar with the route but i'd imagine its reasonably flat from running around those parts?

As I said in the supershoe thread, when you train in supershoes like NEXT% you need to realise that there is no big jump in pace when it comes to races - your training pace is similar to your race pace. The taper is normally negated by the conditions and route. I have a 60' tempo this weekend, so if I run that between 6.15-6.20 it's a big ask to increase that to sub 6 min miles just yet. So I would be targeting 6.10avg for Dungarvan and if I can push on for the last couple of miles, it would be a bonus

Now if I was training in normal shoes and running these training paces, then I would be all set for sub 60.

Ah yeh, fair point with the shoes. 6.10 makes sense then as you would still expect a natural uptick in a race,shoes aside. Good luck 👍

Guess you're right but I'm not there at this moment. Still increasing my speed on the longer distance and will get there eventually. Once I can get the 10 mile done at that pace, I will then believe it is my HM pace 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭ AuldManKing

Great work on the solo 10m at 6.20 - they are a savage workout (I dont miss them :) )

Are you sure? Some of the sessions you have been doing recently seem to be a lot more difficult than the ones that were assigned to you 😂

Some big big sessions there. Are you sure you're not being a little conservative with the Dungarvan target? I know you think its a big risk but really why is it? Mallow is the target race - seems like you have a possible freebie here?

Either way I think you have a plan for 6.10 for the first five miles but if all is going well I think that plan will be ditched pretty quickly!

Super sessions lately....great to see.

The risk to me is getting injured again if I push the body to the max for Dungarvan. The stretches and mobility work I've been doing since the FCE scan seem to be working a treat but I'm overly cautious that the back issues could return at any moment. Would prefer to keep the improvements going, than risk going back to the second half of 2021

The roads in Dungarvan are notoriously uneven as well - crowned in the centre, sloped to each side - so will be focussed to keep to the centre as much as possible. Caused many a person an injury by sticking to the side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭ healy1835

There's a sub 60 pacer in Dungarvan right? 😉

Ah ok that makes sense. I probably missed a line or two along the way but I thought you were basing target pace on fitness rather than risk or injury. Sensible so.

Not officially but I do recall AMK saying there was an unofficial one the last time he ran there. I think he did sub 60 there that day but refused to tell anyone about that result 😜

Paced to a sub 60 by the local Councillor - He was an official pacer - just wasn't publicized. I also do believe he posted on here back in the day.

I'm quite modest about that result - so I kinda keep quiet about it. :)

That's some finish after riding out the wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭ Murph_D

Nice going, congrats on the PB and a flawless execution of the plan.

Super run - an amazing last 5m - top man.

Advertisement