Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spiral out - keep going

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Both NEXT% and VFs are racing shoes. Vaporflys 4% were Nike's first super shoe that contains a carbon plate and ZoomX foam which made a lot of people run faster. NEXT% were the next generation which were again faster than the VFs. AlphaFlys are the latest version

The Nike Tempo NEXT% (very confusing) are a training shoe for faster sessions - https://www.nike.com/ie/running/zoom-tempo

Nike's naming convention is very confusing if you haven't been using them all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Treviso wrote: »
    Both NEXT% and VFs are racing shoes. Vaporflys 4% were Nike's first super shoe that contains a carbon plate and ZoomX foam which made a lot of people run faster. NEXT% were the next generation which were again faster than the VFs. AlphaFlys are the latest version

The Nike Tempo NEXT% (very confusing) are a training shoe for faster sessions - https://www.nike.com/ie/running/zoom-tempo

Nike's naming convention is very confusing if you haven't been using them all the time

Now you said it... I had a post written the older day over in the "what shoes now what shoes next" thread about Nikes naming convention! I deleted it for fear of looking stupid but seriously they have over used so many key words IMO - Zoom, Fly, %, Next... Not that i'd be buying most of those shoes anyhow but it would be nice to understand where they slot in.

ariana` wrote: »
    Now you said it... I had a post written the older day over in the "what shoes now what shoes next" thread about Nikes naming convention! I deleted it for fear of looking stupid but seriously they have over used so many key words IMO - Zoom, Fly, %, Next... Not that i'd be buying most of those shoes anyhow but it would be nice to understand where they slot in.

Totally agree. I use Nike runners all the time now and I'm still confused at times. The full name of AlpaFlys is Nike Air Zoom Alphafly NEXT% , why do that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This seems a bit cheeky of them, given that the 4% and Next% designations were supposed to be (sort of) based on actual tests, or at least claims, of improved race times.

Does the Zoom Tempo Next% designation claim to be based on any actual research into tempo (yes, I know, a moveable feast) running times?

Genuine question.

Murph_D wrote: »
    This seems a bit cheeky of them, given that the 4% and Next% designations were supposed to be (sort of) based on actual tests, or at least claims, of improved race times.

Does the Zoom Tempo Next% designation claim to be based on any actual research into tempo (yes, I know, a moveable feast) running times?

Genuine question.

I presume they put the research into the Alphaflys and then figured if they alter the plate and put some React foam into the shoes, they would last longer than the Alphas.
    I would imagine the same thought process went into the Saucony Pro and Speed versions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes, I agree that's what they're doing design wise, and that all shoe manufacturers are now trying to get us to buy two or three versions of their premiums shoe. It's the % part of the name that's bothering me. Anyway I won't be losing sleep over it! :)

All easy runs in the Nike Invincibles. Must say I love wearing them, so much cushioning and doesn't affect my paces. If anything, they are faster because my legs and feet aren't as sore. Look hideous though
    Tues 9th - 7m easy, 8.36avg
    Thurs 11th - 7m easy, 8.20avg
    Sat 13th - 7m easy, 8.20avg

Wed 10th - 4x8'@10k pace, 3min rec. 15' wu/cd
    Whilst others in the group were given 5x5', I was blessed with the longer type rep. It makes sense if I want to improve my endurance, but I still like to complain about it :D
    I wore the NEXT% for this to give me confidence going into the 10k TT, seeing if I could maintain the targeted pace. I'm aiming at about 5.45-5.50 pace for the TT all things going well.
    Weather was horrible, quite windy but really cold rain & sleet. First rep was good, around the 5.42 mark, but mostly with the wind. Second one was against the wind, did that in about 5.48, but took some effort. Third and fourth were also around the same mark so was delighted with how it went in those conditions.
    The 5.45 was quite a push, couldn't imagine doing the whole 10k at that pace but things will be different next week with a full taper.

Fri 12th - 12x12" hill sprints, 25' wu/cd
    Identical hill sprints as the previous week except paces were slower. Legs felt great but was into the wind for the reps. Was a good one

Sun 14th - 15x1' on/off, @5k pace, 3 miles wu/cd
    On one hand I was delighted I didn't have a tough run this weekend, the other part of me felt a bit meh about this run. Feeling like everyone else was out doing a great session and I was "only" doing 15x1' (which actually was tougher than it sounds :rolleyes:). Totally understand though, maybe it's just a touch of the taper madness for a 10k.
    Anywho, my guessimate at current 5k pace is around 5.30 so I kept the paces around that. Some felt really easy and had to slow myself down for them, others towards the end were a bit tougher. Felt great afterwards though.

Did I mention I have a 10k TT next weekend!? I've now officially trained for TTs longer than I have for races (1 year of races, 1 year 1 month on TTs). This TT will be different though. Our group have arranged a competition for best 10k or 10mile, with some cracking Nike/Saucony runners as prizes. Keeps the interest up. I've never run a proper 10k race, so my PB is from a recent training run of 37.59 (Faster than any TT I've run).

For me, I'll be doing another 10 mile TT the week after the 10k so I'll be bate after those. Will look forward to the easy running then!

Weekly mileage 49 mile, 575 miles for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Looking forward to ya smashing PBs the next couple of weeks T!
    Have to admit to being jealous of the shape you are in right now, brilliant block of training done in the last 3-4 months and the improvement is obvious in your Sunday runs.
    I take it you would give the new coach the full thumbs up?!

Looking forward to ya smashing PBs the next couple of weeks T!
    Have to admit to being jealous of the shape you are in right now, brilliant block of training done in the last 3-4 months and the improvement is obvious in your Sunday runs.
    I take it you would give the new coach the full thumbs up?!

Thanks J, those PBs have been falling in training so hopefully will set a new training target PB with these TTs.

Two thumbs up for the coach alright. It's been great since day one, the training and process were explained to me in detail. Also gave me some minor tweaks to pre run warmups and recoveries. The biggest surprise to me was the rapid improvement. I think we all knew I would get faster, but not this fast and so soon! Two big sessions a week and the rest is easy running, so it's quite manageable. Would defo recommend if you're thinking of getting a coach

Tues 16th - 7m easy, 8:19avg
    Bog standard 7 miles around the local Tramore Valley park. Legs felt good for this one

Wed 17th - 7m easy incl 8x45sec @5k pace, 8:24avg (75sec rec)
    After a morning with the family in Fitzgerald park, I went to UCC Farm for this one. Joining my kids in their monkey bars, wall climbing and seesaw activities were not the best preparation. I seriously felt a few cracks in my knees going up and down on the seesaw.

Felt tired during the run. The 45secs woke my legs up alright. I was wearing my old pegasus 36s and running the 45secs felt strange. Guess it's the closest I would get to wearing race flats and my feet did not like the feeling. Guess they prefer the pampered cushioned feel

Thurs 18th - 6m easy, 8:37avg
    Fri 19th - 5m easy with 5 strides, 8:13avg
    Standard easy runs both in the Farm, weather was lovely for both. Nice to be complaining about being too warm for a run

Sat 20th - 3m easy, 8:14avg
    Shake out the legs before the TT. Brought the girls with me for the 3 miles, them on their scooters. Work out really well actually

Sun 21st - Stazza 10k TT - 35:51 New PB
    So the coach has put on series of 10k and 10 mile TTs for this runners in the next two weeks. Was feeling the nerves all week, similar to a racing feeling I imagine. Nerves were increased as I saw some of the times coming in on the Saturday. Just wanted it over and done with.

Luckily for the TT we had a great setup organised. Some of the elites training for Wrexham were doing 20 miles at 5:50 and had quite generously suggested to pace us for the 10k. Luckily we had a nice group together, all hoping to be around the same time. It was as close to a race as you can get these days. Strategy was to keep on pace for the first 5 miles and then give it everything for the rest. Was hoping to dip under 36 minutes so needed a 5:47 average.

Second time wearing the Alphaflys, love the springy feeling they give. Wonder if the new NEXT% will be even better. Anyway, off we went for the start and it felt quite comfortable at the start. Tucked in at the back of the group and settled in there. Quite a few tall guys in there so I was well sheltered. Great complaint here was all I needed to do was focus on the group and not worry about any thing else. First 2 miles came and went 5:47, 5:44

Next mile was into the wind so I made sure to tuck behind the 20 miler. A few of the others went ahead of him but I kept to him like glue. I rarely glanced at my watch before now but saw I was on pace here. Third mile was 5:46.

Was a bit of a gap developing between the front 3 and our group so I had a decision to make. Either stay with the pacer or bridge the gap to the front and seek shelter there. I was feeling ok so I decided to bridge the gap. Was able to make it to the back of the group quite quickly and tried to recover. Mile 4 was 5:49

Our group started to stretch out and I was feeling the pace. One guy started to pull away but he was always going to be faster. Then there was three. I was at the back but slowly overtook the 2nd guy. Felt like we were going faster for this mile but was my slowest mile 5:50

Legs were really feeling it now and was quite prepared to coast it in from here. Amazingly, the 20 miler guy appears from behind us and pushed us on again - fair play to him, he had another 14 miles after that!! Myself and another are now trading places between each other for the last mile, pushing each other along. The pain and suffering here was insane. He managed to pull away from me before the 6 mile beep and I felt that was that as I had no more left in me 5:45

Its amazing the way the body responds when you only have .21 of a mile to go. All of a sudden I was able to muster one more last sprint to the line and overtake the guy in front. Was thrilled to see the 5:47 avg so knew I went under 36mins. Last .21 mile was at 5:26 pace. Collapsed to the comfort of a grass verge immediately afterwards, but summoned enough energy to thank the 20 miler guy as he went past. Was delighted with 35:51, not bad for someone who never ran a proper race at this distance!

Calves were in bits afterwards but was able to cool down with the rest of the gang, all of whom did fantastic times. Calves are still sore today but it's a normal sign that I ran well type of pain :D

Miles this week - A paltry 38 miles
    613 miles in 2021

I've decided on a 10 mile TT next weekend, not sure how I'll do that but will hopefully recover in time. Will try to go sub 60, will see how that goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great TT report Trev & even better time! I'm not one bit surprised, your training has been great, well deserved:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Brilliant Effort Trev - what an improvement you've shown, I was looking out for your time this morning on Strava.

Your mile reps were bang on and not too much variation, so that's a super sign - best of luck next week in the 10 mile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great going Trev. I certainly think that sub 60 is on the cards. It would be a fool that would bet against it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Deadly run. Great to see. You embraced the pain. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats T that's a super effort.

Phenomenal progress the past few months but well deserved on the back of that training.

Are ya in with a shout of winning some gear?!

Thanks everyone, it's been a surreal experience running at these paces but I'm just taking it small improvements at a time.
    Are ya in with a shout of winning some gear?!

There's 3 prizes for each gender (Pair of Nike or Saucony runners) but the competition is fierce. When a 65 year old runs a 2'20" PB with a 37:10, you know there are some unbelievable runners in the group. I did myself no harm anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wowser that's some debut in the 10k distance :eek: The hardest distance of all to master to my humble opinion. Best of luck with the 10m, exciting times for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Smashing run man. I think sub 60 is looking nailed on for you too. The only thing i'd say to you is just be cautious running 2 TT's within a week. Keep the running easy in between. I had an injury issue already but doing that accentuated it for me at the time.

ariana` wrote: »
    Wowser that's some debut in the 10k distance :eek: The hardest distance of all to master to my humble opinion. Best of luck with the 10m, exciting times for you.

Well it's my third time doing a 10k TT but I've still to do an official 10k race. Thanks for the kind words and I believe congrats on your own PB over the weekend too
    Smashing run man. I think sub 60 is looking nailed on for you too. The only thing i'd say to you is just be cautious running 2 TT's within a week. Keep the running easy in between. I had an injury issue already but doing that accentuated it for me at the time.

Unfortunately D, you did spring to my mind the minute the coach mentioned the two TTs in a week. Plenty of easy running last week, this week and next. In theory I should recover from a 10k in 6 days. Any weird signal from the body this week or during the 10 mile and I'll be happy to pull the plug. No injury signs at the moment thankfully.

Hope everything is good with you, won't even ask about the injury. Hope to see ya back soon.

Great TT report Trev & even better time! I'm not one bit surprised, your training has been great, well deserved:)

Thanks E, training has been going great in fairness. Hope you had a great new watch day today :D
    Brilliant Effort Trev - what an improvement you've shown, I was looking out for your time this morning on Strava.

Your mile reps were bang on and not too much variation, so that's a super sign - best of luck next week in the 10 mile

Thanks A, having the group to run with meant the mile times were quite similar. Was such a pleasure not having to worry about if I was going too fast or too slow
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great going Trev. I certainly think that sub 60 is on the cards. It would be a fool that would bet against it!

Thanks S, hope to get the sub 60 but won't be too disappointed if I don't get it next weekend.
    Deadly run. Great to see. You embraced the pain. Fair play.

Thanks P, I dunno about embracing the pain. I've still to decide which is the worst pain - 5k or 10k racing

• Advertisement

No 10 mile TT for me on Sunday. Had the week off work but have been non stop painting in the house which will continue until Monday. I'm not used to doing manual labour as spend most of my days sitting in front of a computer. Did my easy runs on Tuesday and Wednesday and legs felt super tired and stiff. Thursday's run was the same so made the decision then. It's a shame I can't do it but I feel like I've made the right decision. The extra stress this week would've increased the chance of injury. Life can get in the way sometimes

So going to spend this week as a recovery week after the 10k TT and go back into the training cycle next week. Tomorrow is 7 miles easy and 14 miles easy on Sunday

Last week All easy

Tues 23rd 7m easy - 8:48 (grass)
    Wed 24th 7m easy - 8:42 (grass)
    Thurs 25th 6m easy - 8:38 Made the decision to not run the 10m TT
    Fri 26th 7m easy - 8:22
    Sat 27th 7m easy - 8:50 (grass)
    Sun 28th 12m easy - 8:42

Was painting all week so legs were super fatigued all week, even at that easy pace

This week return to normal training

Tues 30th 7m easy - 8:55avg (grass). Finished most of the painting by now so was hoping the legs would freshen up some bit

Wed 31st 20'@5:55, 5min rec, 12x1' on/off. 15' wu/cd
    Didn't know how this would go and how tired my legs would be. Said to myself that getting the 20' tempo done would be most of the battle won. Decided to wear the NEXT% and do the whole session on the flat Passage walkway.

First mile of the tempo felt ok, was on target and the legs were good 5:56. Second mile and still going okay 5.54. Third mile and I was feeling it 5:55. Last 2mins were 5:54. The extra bit after doing a 5k in a 20' tempo is always the worst, feel like there's no point doing it. Plus the quicker these 20' tempos get, the longer you have to run after the 5k :D

Was glad that it went to plan and tried to recover for the 5 minutes. Sometimes you can wing it through these 1 minute reps. Target pace was 5:30 and hit the first 6 under that pace. My legs though, seemed to double in weight and I was struggling to keep on pace. Next 6 were mainly just off target but was happy having to struggle through them.

Legs survived the session so things would be able to go back to normal

Thurs 1st 7m easy - 8:43avg (grass) was a struggle this one

Fri 2nd 12x12" hill sprints, 25' wu/cd - 8:12avg
    Wore the 4% for this. They now serve me no purpose for sessions or races so will take the benefits of them for hill sprints. Nearly 200 miles on them so should give me another few months of wear

Sat 2nd 7m easy - 8:34avg (grass)

Sun 3rd 12m@6:35, 2m wu/cd
    Was feeling good about this one. 6:35 pace should be ok at this stage and was looking like a good morning to run. As the pace wasn't too hot, I wore the Nike Tempos. I settled into a nice comfortable pace (obviously after the usual sub 6 min starting pace) and was happy to see 6:30 average pace after the first 2 miles. The next couple were in or around that pace so I said I'd see how the rest goes at that pace.

Legs were good as I got to the halfway point. Next 2 brought me to the end of the passage walkway and the turnaround. Once turned I was going into the wind, not strong but enough to slow the pace a bit. Had a decision to make on whether to battle into it to keep the 6:30 average or ease back. These runs are more structural so decided to ease it back a bit for the last 4 miles. Finished the 12 with a 6:33 average. That, coupled with 1.1 mile of the cooldown, gave me another HM PB of 1:27:51 - I should really run a HM TT.

Nice run. Only complaint is the Tempo are not the most comfortable to run in for longer miles

Weekly milesge - 56
    YTD - 716

Have decided to do a rotation/downgrading for the shoes I'll wear for different types of runs
    Easy - Invincibles for road/ Pegasus turbo2 for grass (was Invincibles & std pegasus)
    Hill sprints - 4% (was pegasus turbo 2s) explained above
    Sessions - Longer Structural runs - will keep with the Tempos for now
    Midweek/Endurance runs - NEXT% and MetaSpeed Sky
    Races - Alphaflys

Purchased the Metaspeed Sky this week so will give this pair a test drive for my faster work. Hoping they suit me. From looking at my running, my stride increases nearly 50% from easy running to TT. We'll see.

Some may say it's a waste of money using these carbon plated shoes in training but they'll help me in the recovery (and paces). Plus I haven't touched a drink since July so just pi$$ing money away on shoes instead :D

:pac::pac: Fair comment! And as I spend more a month on drink than the price of a pair of Metaspeed I will zip it :D

Any word on your shoes? I have nothing appearing delivery wise or no updates on the order..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hasn’t drank since July..........

skyblue46 wrote: »
    :pac::pac: Fair comment! And as I spend more a month on drink than the price of a pair of Metaspeed I will zip it :D

Any word on your shoes? I have nothing appearing delivery wise or no updates on the order..:confused:

Nope, still stuck on not shipped. Although I just checked under my orders and status is saying contact Customer Support. Not good, I hope they didn't take the order without having it in stock. I hate online sports stores that do that

OOnegative wrote: »
    Hasn’t drank since July..........
    I said I wouldn't drink until we get out of all these lockdowns and go back to some form of normality. Didn't think I'd reach a year, now I'll be lucky to get a drink before Christmas :mad:

Nope, still stuck on not shipped. Although I just checked under my orders and status is saying contact Customer Support. Not good, I hope they didn't take the order without having it in stock. I hate online sports stores that do that

I'm getting the same message and 2 emails have yet to yield a reply....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I said I wouldn't drink until we get out of all these lockdowns and go back to some form of normality. Didn't think I'd reach a year, now I'll be lucky to get a drink before Christmas :mad:

I haven’t had a drink since 30seconds ago. That’s very commendable man, fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sun 3rd 12m@6:35, 2m wu/cd
    Was feeling good about this one. 6:35 pace should be ok at this stage and was looking like a good morning to run. As the pace wasn't too hot, I wore the Nike Tempos. I settled into a nice comfortable pace

Its mad isn't it how our ideas of pace changes as the session and weeks go on!!

• Advertisement

Its mad isn't it how our ideas of pace changes as the session and weeks go on!!
    Yes totally. Just checked and I struggled to run 10 of these in December. Who knows, in July I might find 6:10 a comfortable pace!!

Advertisement