Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland agrees to plan on migrant resettlement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Boggles wrote: »
    Would you ask the same question of an Irish Doctor who has chosen to move to Canada or Oz?

I have said it before to a nurse who took all her training from Ireland and all the advantages it gave and then turned her nose up at the country to swan off to the UK for not a huge amount more money. I believe that kind of work is a vocation and taking effectively free training off the state to just leave is immoral.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,775 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

nobody said it was illegal, what we're saying is it should be.

I disagree. Plenty genuine Asylum Seekers need help, we do the bare minimum as is.
    Help!!!! wrote: »
    Nationalists want the legal people in the country looked after first, no matter if your an African living, working & paying taxes the country should be run better than it is

I assume you are a "legal" person in this country.

How are you not been looked after first?

Your fictional Syrian neighbors, 8k car grants, 5k Big TV and designer clothes aside.

How has housing asylum seekers in less than optimal conditions in DP had a tangible effect on your life personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I have said it before to a nurse who took all her training from Ireland and all the advantages it gave and then turned her nose up at the country to swan off to the UK for not a huge amount more money. I believe that kind of work is a vocation and taking effectively free training off the state to just leave is immoral.

It would be cheaper to stop training doctors & nurses in this country & let them go to be trained in Pakistan or India seeing as some in this country believe we are lucky to have doctors/nurses from those countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Would you ask the same question of an Irish Doctor who has chosen to move to Canada or Oz?
    You didn't answer the question: Would a Dr moving from India not be of more benefit there where healthcare and poverty is dire, he'd probaly see x10 more patients and be able to help maybe x10 more than in Ire?

Can/Oz are both directly comparable with Ireland in many, many, ways.
    Many folks that go there 'will' come back, returning with skill exchanges.

Someone educated in, but choosing to leave from Timbuktu or the Congo, likely isn't chosing to ever go back, unless feeling highly charitable.

I disagree. Plenty genuine Asylum Seekers need help, we do the bare minimum as is.

Your fictional Syrian neighbors, 8k car grants, 5k Big TV and designer clothes aside.

How has housing asylum seekers in less than optimal conditions in DP had a tangible effect on your life personally?

we deny 90-95% of claims we currently have, it would actually be more effective cost wise to close direct provision , send them all home and line the coast and airports with "GO HOME, NO ASYLUM" signs. It would have a neutral or positive impact on the state with absolutely no negative consequences too.

• Advertisement

They shouldn't have to move anywhere, they should be paid enough to stay in Ireland.

Irish Consultants are among the highest paid in the world.

So you be in favor of paying them more. What percentage?

Vocation me bollix. They are more that entitled to go anywhere they want, as does a Software Engineer or Arts student.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭emo72

I recently was working in a furniture shop. They got a lot of people coming in looking for quotations for fitting out a house. Beds sofas all the usual stuff. The quotes could come to 5k easily, they then go back to the social welfare and get a cheque. A lot of the time they wouldn't come back and buy the stuff on the quote.

So it would seem it's possible to come from Africa and get to the top of the housing list, and get furniture bought for you. We had to start charging 100 euro for the quotes because it didn't always translate into a sale for us. People aren't keen to pay it, but if your with a client for an hour or 2 fitting out a house, you have to get paid.

Anyway Irish people are entitled to this too in fairness, but it would take years to get to the top of the housing queue, if ever.

The money spent on DP, appeals, resettlement could sort out our HSE, homeless problems etc
    Why are you implying I am making up stories about the Syrians who live here

we deny 90-95% of claims we currently have,

So what's the problem?

Have you a link for that figure by the way please?

emo72 wrote: »
    I recently was working in a furniture shop. They got a lot of people coming in looking for quotations for fitting out a house. Beds sofas all the usual stuff. The quotes could come to 5k easily, they then go back to the social welfare and get a cheque. A lot of the time they wouldn't come back and buy the stuff on the quote.

So it would seem it's possible to come from Africa and get to the top of the housing list, and get furniture bought for you. We had to start charging 100 euro for the quotes because it didn't always translate into a sale for us. People aren't keen to pay it, but if your with a client for an hour or 2 fitting out a house, you have to get paid.

Anyway Irish people are entitled to this too in fairness, but it would take years to get to the top of the housing queue, if ever.

You'll be asked for photos by someone in a minute:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The money spent on DP, appeals, resettlement could sort out our HSE, homeless problems etc

The money spent on DPs which is part funded by EIB would sort out Health and Homelessness?

Please show your costed works for this?

Also, I thought the HSE didn't have a funding problem?
    Why are you implying I am making up stories about the Syrians who live here

Because we both know you are.

So what's the problem?

Theres a video on youtube of an interview with a man who processed the asylum claims & he said over 90% were fradulant

So what's the problem?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ireland-refuses-asylum-to-90pc-of-applicants-35229842.html

my problem is the cost of DP, the cost of the reoccurring appeals process and that the chances of the 10% making it through never being net contributors to the state is high. It serves no economic purpose to allow asylum here with the exception of another world war in western europe breaking out.

The money spent on DPs which is part funded by EIB would sort out Health and Homelessness?

Because we both know you are.

So just because you have your head in the sand you call people liars who have witnessed it

It would go along way to, the homeless should be getting houses before the 'refugees'

Thanks for that.

So we take in an absolute minuscule amount of refugees and we reject 90% of them?

Again what's with all the scare mongering?

:confused:

It would go along way to, the homeless should be getting houses before the 'refugees'

Was a refugee given a house before you?

Thanks for that.

So we take in an absolute minuscule amount of refugees and we reject 90% of them?

That 90% are not deported though are they. As has been said there are people in DP for 10-15 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Thanks for that.
    .....and we reject 90% of them?
    ... what's with all the scare mongering?

If 90% are deemed to be non-genuine (i.e. rejected) what's with all the pandering towards broad non-questioning open acceptance, without asking any reasonable quesitons or addressing associated issues?

Was a refugee given a house before you?

Yes they have. I have been on the housing list for 5 years, 10 families have moved to the town & got housed in new builds, so yes it does affect me & many others

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

we've spent over 400 million quid just on contracts to run these centres to 'temporarily' house migrants while they appeal and appeal and appeal and eventually get rejected, if its such a small number why don't you just agree with the facts that banning asylum would be cheaper and probably what we should do ?

That 90% are not deported though are they. As has been said there are people in DP for 10-15 years

They are yeah.

pproximately 4,446 persons were
    deported/removed from the State in 2016. This figure comprises some 3,951 non EU nationals who were refused entry into the State at ports of entry and were returned to the place from where they had come. In
    addition, 428 failed asylum seekers and illegal migrants were deported from the State, 67 EU nationals were returned to their countries of origin on foot of an EU Removal Order and 42 asylum seekers were transferred under the Dublin
    Regulation to the EU member state in which they first applied for asylum.

Yes they have. I have been on the housing list for 5 years, 10 families have moved to the town & got housed in new builds, so yes it does affect me & many others

So you are living in a hotel, tent, B&B at the moment?

They are yeah.

after a decade and the costs of giving them 20 quid a week, their legal aid, translators paid, trying 2-3 times through the whole process wasting GNIB and INIS time.

we've spent over 400 million quid just on contracts to run these centres to 'temporarily' house migrants while they appeal and appeal and appeal and eventually get rejected, if its such a small number why don't you just agree with the facts that banning asylum would be cheaper and probably what we should do ?

Because you are looking strictly at the cost and not the value.

But I agree with you, our governance decided to privatize the problem, it's an absolute disgrace.

So you are living in a hotel, tent, B&B at the moment?

No I am paying a LL

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I spend a lot of time on the road and visit many towns. I go for a walk at lunch time most days. The amount of people I meet speaking foreign languages is huge. We have enough foreigners in this country already.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

just limit people to one appeal. still allows for natural justice and prevents them languishing in limbo for years.

after a decade and the costs of giving them 20 quid a week, their legal aid, translators paid, trying 2-3 times through the whole process wasting GNIB and INIS time.

Can you name the Refugee who invented the system, I'll rightly condemn him / here right here.

Also not all Refugees that get rejected by the system are bogus, decisions have been reversed on Judicial review.

• Advertisement

No I am paying a LL

No help from Social Protection, HAP any benefits whatsoever?

Advertisement