Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

You can post a query for them in this forum if you wish :)

https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1643

• Registered Users Posts: 14,914 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think that you have hit on the difference between the different sides on here.

Those opposing water charges use dummy targets like Dinny and Lowry to hide the fact that they are arguing for something that is wrong or because they are the real target of their bile and water charges and meters are only a tool and are being used.

Those who favour water charges do so because it is simply the right thing to do.

Pompous load of nonsense from someone whose every prediction in relation to water charges has been incorrect since day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

charlie14 wrote: »
    Pompous load of nonsense from someone whose every prediction in relation to water charges has been incorrect since day one.

Being pompous has little bearing on ones correctness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ummm

Pure waffle from a coin who has been battering the Dinny drum since day one.

Ummm

Pure waffle from a coin who has been battering the Dinny drum since day one.

In that fiasco there were no shortage of drums to batter for those that were not blind or did not want to see them.
    No shortage of pompous incorrect predictions either.

• Advertisement

Being pompous has little bearing on ones correctness

No? Many would regard ones self belief in ones own correctness as pompous.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think that you have hit on the difference between the different sides on here.

Those opposing water charges use dummy targets like Dinny and Lowry to hide the fact that they are arguing for something that is wrong or because they are the real target of their bile and water charges and meters are only a tool and are being used.

Those who favour water charges do so because it is simply the right thing to do.

Charging one home for water because they have a meter and allowing an entire apartment block 'round the corner to use what they like without paying a penny? How is that the "right thing to do"?

Benedict wrote: »
    Charging one home for water because they have a meter and allowing an entire apartment block 'round the corner to use what they like without paying a penny? How is that the "right thing to do"?

Whoever said that would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Haven't had rain in my neck of the woods for months and the need to conserve water is obvious......yet on my morning constitutional I spotted three stools out watering their lawns !

I was surprised as I thought even Pat couldn't reach this level of stupidity.......

The most recent plan was that those with meters would pay for what they use and those without meters would also pay for what they use. In order for this to sound true, IW had to pretend that they could measure usage without a meter. This is, of course, nonsense but even it it was true, why then were meters installed in the first place? Then some bright spark suggested that if you wouldn't accept installation, you'd have to pay a flat E500 automatically. This fell on it's face too because if you say "Yes" to a meter, guess what? There's nobody there to install it! The installers have all been laid off.

So what if you re-employ the installers?

Won't work either because so many home-owners will do what they did before - namely stand outside and prevent installation.

Game over folks!

Game well and truly over!

• Advertisement

Haven't had rain in my neck of the woods for months and the need to conserve water is obvious......yet on my morning constitutional I spotted three stools out watering their lawns !

I was surprised as I thought even Pat couldn't reach this level of stupidity.......

You must be a little ‘challenged’ Nevin if you underestimated the level of Pat’s,I’ll call it ‘attitude’.

Have you not yet realised that Pat will ‘tune the fiddle’ to the nth degree whenever he can.

Pat doesn’t give a fiddlers once he can get away with it.

Take the hound out for a walk....fcuker squats and punches out a log cabin....look around and if nobody near leave her there.

Double yellas...for someone else...not for me...jaaaaahs I only went in for the paper.

That’s Pat for ya.

Face covering....... da fuuuhrk!!!!

The most recent plan was that those with meters would pay for what they use and those without meters would also pay for what they use. In order for this to sound true, IW had to pretend that they could measure usage without a meter. This is, of course, nonsense but even it it was true, why then were meters installed in the first place? Then some bright spark suggested that if you wouldn't accept installation, you'd have to pay a flat E500 automatically. This fell on it's face too because if you say "Yes" to a meter, guess what? There's nobody there to install it! The installers have all been laid off.

Won't work either because so many home-owners will do what they did before - namely stand outside and prevent installation.

Game over folks!

They haven’t gone away, you know!

Game over folks!

It`s been over for four years.

It`s very much like the Roman Catholic Church and limbo.
    Everybody knew it was B.S. long before the Church admitted it and dropped the charade.

This whole drama is a lesson in why you shouldn't depend on making it up as you go along. A really big mistake was to start pretending that those without meters could have their usage measured and therefore would get a bill. They really have painted themselves into a corner by making that claim.

There's a piece in the Irish Indo today re water charges. It seems that IW have decided to postpone the charges further - but no date is given for when they will want payments to be made.

Among the reasons given for the postponement is CV-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Postpone? I must have missed something as I thought charges were dead in the water...

PommieBast wrote: »
    Postpone? I must have missed something as I thought charges were dead in the water...

Nah ..still around Pee, I’d say the Ollie Bond boys might be targets given the seemingly hefty load of disposable income they seem to have.

What did the clean up cost I wonder ?

Ummm....

There's a piece in the Irish Indo today re water charges. It seems that IW have decided to postpone the charges further - but no date is given for when they will want payments to be made.

Among the reasons given for the postponement is CV-19.

Irish Water, any port in a storm when it comes to deluding themselves Brendan.
    Getting a bit desperate though are they not when it took them so long to look to this particular port.:)

Glad to see Covid-19 hasn`t added you to the numbers Brendan. Hope you and yours ride this out and we are both around for Irish Water`s next chapter of their fairy tale on collecting water charges.

You didn`t. They are.
    To quote Michael Noonan, a dead cat fouling up the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They are, political suicide for any attempt made to the contrary

• Advertisement

Is IW still pretending it knows how much a non-metered home is using?

Because if they don't, then they can forget charging non-metered homes.

Therefore, they must also forget about charging metered homes.

So where are the homes they intend to charge?

Mars?

Is IW still pretending it knows how much a non-metered home is using?

Because if they don't, then they can forget charging non-metered homes.

Therefore, they must also forget about charging metered homes.

So where are the homes they intend to charge?

Mars?

Venus it would appear.

Venus it would appear.

Well at least for the first time with Irish Water that would make sense.
    Venus is closer to Earth than Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Timistry

We are in breach of EU rules... it will be back

Timistry wrote: »
    We are in breach of EU rules... it will be back

Not according to the EU highest court on Union law, The European Court of Justice we`re not ......and no it will not be even be up for consideration for at the least a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Timistry

Not according to the EU highest court on Union law, The European Court of Justice we`re not ......and no it will not be even be up for consideration for at the least a lifetime.

The polluter pays principle will be enforced. Water is one of the most pressing issues according to the UN and will be a global metric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The polluter pays principle will be enforced. Water is one of the most pressing issues according to the UN and will be a global metric

Grand so but the UN has no say over potential water charges in Ireland. You said we were in breach of EU rules, a poster pointed out you were wrong. Watch those straws they might be thorny. ;-)

You may want to check out the ruling of the ECJ on The Commissioner v Germany and associated States on The Water Framework Directive.
    Water is not just a pressing issue globally. It is also very lucrative for companies when privatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

You may want to check out the ruling of the ECJ on The Commissioner v Germany and associated States on The Water Framework Directive.
    Water is not just a pressing issue globally. It is also very lucrative for companies when privatised.

Still bangin away at the old "privatization" drum.......

A straw man argument pal .....

• Advertisement

Still bangin away at the old "privatization" drum.......

A straw man argument pal .....

Privatisation is not a straw man - it's a very real man.

When the powers-that-be were asked about making privatisation unconstitutional, the answer was "No need - it won't arise".

Yeah right!

Advertisement