Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

Quote from Charlie 14

"I never thought the real push from water charges came from politicians.
    I always thought, and stated many times in the past that I believed the real push was from big moneyed, well connected "old friend" puppeteers in the not so hidden background. "

Very naive to suppose that the "big moneyed" and the "politicians" are not feeding from the same trough!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,914 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Benedict wrote: »
    Quote from Charlie 14

"I never thought the real push from water charges came from politicians.
    I always thought, and stated many times in the past that I believed the real push was from big moneyed, well connected "old friend" puppeteers in the not so hidden background. "

Very naive to suppose that the "big moneyed" and the "politicians" are not feeding from the same trough!

Not sure from that Benedict if you mean I am naive by not recognising that or others.
    To me, with Irish Water, when I certain tax exile with a rich history (in every sense of the word) in FG entered the equation I thought it blindingly obvious.
    Nose now well into the broadband trough as well.
    Happy times ahead for the legal profession

When this water-meter project first started, installers were rampaging across Ireland digging up everything in sight and inserting meters like there was no tomorrow.

The thinking seems to have been "Get this up and running before people have time to think. Before they know what's hit them, they'll be paying up and the show will be on the road".

Didn't work out that way though because people had time to look closely at what was happening.

Instead of abandoning the project they told more porkies - like "We can establish your usage even if you don't have a meter".

If you're in a hole, don't dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

When this water-meter project first started, installers were rampaging across Ireland digging up everything in sight and inserting meters like there was no tomorrow.

The thinking seems to have been "Get this up and running before people have time to think. Before they know what's hit them, they'll be paying up and the show will be on the road".

Didn't work out that way though because people had time to look closely at what was happening.

Instead of abandoning the project they told more porkies - like "We can establish your usage even if you don't have a meter".

If you're in a hole, don't dig.

Just jump into it and start taking photographs

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

What happens when the water meters start to go wrong - due to age - and have to be repaired?

Who's going to pay?

There's contractors all around the country exchanging meters full time since 2015 (taking out the old meters and replacing them with the new meters that have GPS & Transponders)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Joe Kane wrote: »
    There's contractors all around the country exchanging meters full time since 2015 (taking out the old meters and replacing them with the new meters that have GPS & Transponders)

On the money Joseph.....believe it or not there is some folks who still believe that Pat will never have to pay for potable water ?

Isn't that incredible ?

How can they be so foolish.....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

On the money Joseph.....believe it or not there is some folks who still believe that Pat will never have to pay for potable water ?

Isn't that incredible ?

How can they be so foolish.....:confused:

I hear tell of people won't accept we already pay for it. Where do these people think the money is coming from? Do they think all these meters are on tick? Beggars belief lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Bowie wrote: »
    I hear tell of people won't accept we already pay for it. Where do these people think the money is coming from? Do they think all these meters are on tick? Beggars belief lad.

Yes ..you right there we are paying for it but in a crude unequal way..will eventually be a utility and be paid the same way and same principals as gas/elecky/heating oil etc.

That is to say paid by individuals based on usage ...

Yes ..you right there we are paying for it but in a crude unequal way..will eventually be a utility and be paid the same way and same principals as gas/elecky/heating oil etc.

That is to say paid by individuals based on usage ...

I'd wear that only FF/FG would be looking to privatise, which i would not support.

I'd wear that only FF/FG would be looking to privatise, which i would not support.

How do you know that, a chara.

• Advertisement

Joe Kane wrote: »

Do you actually mean that Irish Water are now digging up those 890,000 shiny new meters that were costing 100,000 a day to bury which never returned as much as a read cent and are now replacing them with even shinier newer super duper one that are never going to return a red cent in their lifetime either ?

How do you know that, a chara.

I don`t know about FF Brendan, but from the FG junior minister responsible back then we know that was the plan. He made no secret of that in his Dail statement.

charlie14 wrote: »
    I don`t know about FF Brendan, but from the FG junior minister responsible back then we know that was the plan. He made no secret of that in his Dail statement.

He he ...Chas.... just taking a punt so.

What FG junior minister....... heavy hitter was he.....:D

He he ...Chas.... just taking a punt so.

What FG junior minister....... heavy hitter was he.....:D

Fergus O`Dowd Brendan. The minister with responsibility for establishing Irish Water.
    Surprised you don`t remember what his role was back then.
    Then again, many who defended the fiasco to the hilt are not keen on hearing what he subsequently had to say on Irish Water and privatisation.

Fergus O`Dowd Brendan. The minister with responsibility for establishing Irish Water.
    Surprised you don`t remember what his role was back then.
    Then again, many who defended the fiasco to the hilt are not keen on hearing what he subsequently had to say on Irish Water and privatisation.

What did he say Cha...

A junior Minister......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What did he say Cha...

Since it has been posted many times as to what he said. Your ignorance is fake tbh.

What did he say Cha...

You are well aware of who he is, what his responsibilities were in establishing the quango, and what he had to subsequently say, so stop acting the maggot.

Yesterday's budget included significant funds for IW - not a word about the dreaded "water charges"!

I wonder why was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Yesterday's budget included significant funds for IW - not a word about the dreaded "water charges"!
    IW is still the organisation that deals with water infrastructure. For all its faults it is at least is not leaving infrastructure to rot like the local authorities did.

PommieBast wrote: »
    IW is still the organisation that deals with water infrastructure. For all its faults it is at least is not leaving infrastructure to rot like the local authorities did.

Ah, here, Pommie. Don’t you know that Benny pops up here every few weeks to pour scorn on everything Irish Water!

• Advertisement

I don`t know if it actually is doing any better. Has the percentage of treated water being lost from mains leaks gone down do you know ?

Ah, here, Pommie. Don’t you know that Benny pops up here every few weeks to pour scorn on everything Irish Water!

In fairness to him Martanne, it would be difficult to find any company that has laboured so hard to earn scorn.

While the ‘lads’ were gulling trays of stout at 1100 hrs of a Friday.

Roaring and shouting while the ‘Shoppies’ led the chorus.

Aaah heeeyurr........

In the words of Yeats the world has "changed utterly" from the days when Big Phil was threatening to cut off the water of those who didn't cough up their water charges.

When this action was deemed illegal it was decided that the next best thing was to cut their supply to a trickle.

It was at that point that IW should have pulled back and re-thought the whole matter of water charges. By forging ahead with bizarre claims such as those without meters could be assessed just as accurately as those with meters only made it less and less likely that anyone would pay a cent.

In the words of Yeats the world has "changed utterly" from the days when Big Phil was threatening to cut off the water of those who didn't cough up their water charges.

When this action was deemed illegal it was decided that the next best thing was to cut their supply to a trickle.

It was at that point that IW should have pulled back and re-thought the whole matter of water charges. By forging ahead with bizarre claims such as those without meters could be assessed just as accurately as those with meters only made it less and less likely that anyone would pay a cent.

Yet, Irish Water are working away upgrading the infrastructure. http://tippfm.com/news/energy-environment/work-progressing-well-new-thurles-water-supply/

Yet, Irish Water are working away upgrading the infrastructure. http://tippfm.com/news/energy-environment/work-progressing-well-new-thurles-water-supply/

Funded by the magic money tree no doubt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Funded by the magic money tree no doubt ;)

Was delighted to read the article in the Sunday Independent where Malcolm Noonan said that water charges would be back on the agenda during this government’s lifespan. I voted Green expecting this to happen, well done to them.

No magic money tree needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

blanch152 wrote: »
    Was delighted to read the article in the Sunday Independent where Malcolm Noonan said that water charges would be back on the agenda during this government’s lifespan. I voted Green expecting this to happen, well done to them.

Well my Property Tax has increased to over €1700 this year courtesy of DunLaoghaire Rathdown. That's up circa €250. So they have their water tax albeit through another route.

blanch152 wrote: »

I`m caught between two stools on your post after Googling that Paul Howard article on Malcolm Noonan.
    Either you were inebriated when you read it, or you are attempting to misrepresent what it actually said because it did not say the highlighted.
    Water charges are not even included in the programme for government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I`m caught between two stools on your post after Googling that Paul Howard article on Malcolm Noonan.
    Either you were inebriated when you read it, or you are attempting to misrepresent what it actually said because it did not say the highlighted.
    Water charges are not even included in the programme for government.
    Seems that Noonan said "possibility of introducing water charges should be explored". While not officailly on the agenda I doubt someone in his positon would say something like that if it was firmly off the agenda.

Advertisement