Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Joe Kaine

You have completely contradicted yourself. Total lack of credibility tbh.

Not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,996 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Joe Kaine wrote: »
    I'd imagine anyone that has refused, are totally against IW / possible water charges would not be the sort to contact IW re: anything. They probably if they do at all repair leaks themselves. Hire a leak detection technician & repair crew if needed etc.

There's a substantial amount of households that do not have metered feeds and it's not because they are against water charges / meter installs etc. It's because the whole meter installation thing stopped,

Thanks for all that, but it doesn`t really make me any the wiser.

My question was that if you do not have an IW meter, and have no wish to have one, if you did ring up IW would they fix any house side leaks under the same first fix scheme criteria free of charge without any compulsion on you to accept an IW meter.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Thanks for all that, but it doesn`t really make me any the wiser.

My question was that if you do not have an IW meter, and have no wish to have one, if you did ring up IW would they fix any house side leaks under the same first fix scheme criteria free of charge without any compulsion on you to accept an IW meter.

You'd have to ring them up and ask them that.

Ring them, tell them you have a leak, you have no meter and you don't want a meter.

I locate and repair leaks. I've located and repaired leaks on domestic properties both metered and non metered. I have no reason to ask the property owner on the day or night whether or not they want or have refused a metered feed install.

You'd have to ring them up and ask them that.

Ring them, tell them you have a leak, you have no meter and you don't want a meter.

I locate and repair leaks. I've located and repaired leaks on domestic properties both metered and non metered. I have no reason to ask the property owner on the day or night whether or not they want or have refused a metered feed install.

So in reality you are only speaking for yourself and have no idea what IW`s policy is as regards fixing household leaks if you do not have one of their meters or have no wish to have one.

Doesn`t really say much for the view of some on here that the first fix scheme was only established because of concern over water conservation and house structural damage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

So in reality you are only speaking for yourself and have no idea what IW`s policy is as regards fixing household leaks if you do not have one of their meters or have no wish to have one.

Doesn`t really say much for the view of some on here that the first fix scheme was only established because of concern over water conservation and house structural damage though.

Serious point, what level was this grand conspiracy? CEO only?

• Advertisement

I'm telling you what I do for my employer on behalf of Irish Water and County Councils. That is the reality.

Policy or no policy I think I've explained it pretty clear.

What you do or want re: a metered water feed / water charges / or leaks on your property is entirely up to yourself.

I could not care less who thinks water charges full stop or charges for excessive usage (leaks) is a good or a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

pablo128 wrote: »
    And if people simply refuse to pay like the last time? Maybe turn their water down to a trickle, perhaps?

Covid-19 will change the view of the world in more ways than people realise.

Serious point, what level was this grand conspiracy? CEO only?

What grand conspiracy ?

The first fix scheme was only open to those that had, or agreed to have, IW meters installed.

If as some, including yourself it appears, believe it was to do with nothing other than water conservation and government concern over potential structural damage to domestic households, then why was it not open to all households regardless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

pablo128 wrote: »
    And if people simply refuse to pay like the last time? Maybe turn their water down to a trickle, perhaps?
    Probably nothing but it could be the same as the electricity. The less freeloaders the better.
    What grand conspiracy ?

The first fix scheme was only open to those that had, or agreed to have, IW meters installed.

If as some, including yourself it appears, believe it was to do with nothing other than water conservation and government concern over potential structural damage to domestic households, then why was it not open to all households regardless ?
    The conspiracy that it wasn't really about enhancing water management.

I'm telling you what I do for my employer on behalf of Irish Water and County Councils. That is the reality.

What you do or want re: a metered water feed / water charges / or leaks on your property is entirely up to yourself.

I could not care less who thinks water charges full stop or charges for excessive usage (leaks) is a good or a bad idea.

If you do not know what IW or County Councils policies are on the matter, then for your own sake, it may be advisable to find out if you are undertaking work that may not be covered.
    Otherwise you will not be indemnified by their insurance while undertaking such work.

• Advertisement

The conspiracy that it wasn't really about enhancing water management.

Well according to you, your belief is that the first fix scheme was nothing other than water management in regard to conserving water being lost due to household leaks, and government concern for potential structural damage.

So again, if water management in relation to such leaks was based on conservation, and government concerns were based on potential structural damage, why was this scheme not open to all households rather than those who engaged with IW ?

If you do not know what IW or County Councils policies are on the matter, then for your own sake, it may be advisable to find out if you are undertaking work that may not be covered.
    Otherwise you will not be indemnified by their insurance while undertaking such work.

The work orders are issued by or come from IW / relevant Co.Co.

No need for any advice re: insurance etc.

The work orders are issued by or come from IW / relevant Co.Co.

No need for any advice re: insurance etc.

So are you actually saying that you are receiving work orders from IW or a relevant County Council that authorise you to carry out work to first fix scheme criterion on households that have not "engaged", or have no intention of doing so, with IW. :confused:

So are you actually saying that you are receiving work orders from IW or a relevant County Council that authorise you to carry out work to first fix scheme criterion on households that have not "engaged", or have no intention of doing so, with IW. :confused:

No. I'm not saying that at all.

Leak is flagged. Property owner notified / asked if they would like to proceed with a first fix leak survey / repair. If they do. Work order is issued to proceed.

Don't be trying to be such a smart arse now.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I was curious as to how it was measured as this thread is about the impossibility of measurement without metering. Hence my confusion.
    I suspect they are just taking the total throughput of waterworks and calculating things from there.

No. I'm not saying that at all.

Leak is flagged. Property owner notified / asked if they would like to proceed with a first fix leak survey / repair. If they do. Work order is issued to proceed.

Don't be trying to be such a smart arse now.

Cheers.

Who exactly is trying to be the smart ass here?

Me for querying your, IW will fix all household leaks to first fix criterion free of charge regardless of whether said households have "engaged" with IW or not, or you now more or less having to admit it is a load of bulls**t

Cheers :D

PommieBast wrote: »
    I suspect they are just taking the total throughput of waterworks and calculating things from there.

If that is what they are doing then they could have worked that out on the back of an envelope without the massive waste of taxpayers money on meters.

Who exactly is trying to be the smart ass here?

Me for querying your, IW will fix all household leaks to first fix criterion free of charge regardless of whether said households have "engaged" with IW or 0 or you now more or less having to admit it is a load of bulls**t

Cheers :D

Can you show me where I said or alluded too leaks WILL be repaired regardless of whether or not households have engaged with IW?

Can you show me where I said or alluded too leaks WILL be repaired regardless of whether or not households have engaged with IW?

No, but I can point to quite a few of your posts where you jumped through hoops attempting to create the impression for those that may not know better that they did. :D

No, but I can point to quite a few of your posts where you jumped through hoops attempting to create the impression for those that may not know better that they did. :D

You can't. No bother, that's grand.

There's no jumping through hoops there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭PommieBast

If that is what they are doing then they could have worked that out on the back of an envelope without the massive waste of taxpayers money on meters.
    To aid rationing. Makes it easier to tell households to reduce their consumption than to deal with infrastructure problems.

Coincidentally it looks like Irish Water are using the lockdown as an opportunity to fix the water main leaks in Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

To aid rationing. Makes it easier to tell households to reduce their consumption than to deal with infrastructure problems.

Coincidentally it looks like Irish Water are using the lockdown as an opportunity to fix the water main leaks in Temple Bar.

It's more the p1ss leaks what needs fixin in that district......heh heh heh cough!

Tbh, I`m not sure what you mean in relation to meters or rationing.

They can reduce the pressure of water through mains, but I would not see that as rationing or even reducing consumption by any great degree. Far as I know reducing pressure for a particular main is normally used where they have determined that due to the condition of that main, the water pressure has been the reason for a major leak. Reducing water pressure in which case is used to hopefully reduce the chances of adding to the problem of more such leaks.

I have no idea what they are doing in Temple Bar or why, but with the lock-down and social distancing I would be surprised if it is normal mains repairs rather than an emergency type exercise where a major leak has cut of the supply of water in te area.

It's more the p1ss leaks what needs fixin in that district......heh heh heh cough!

:D

There's no jumping through hoops there.

I could, and not just from this thread. But as you now have been shown from both as being disingenuous, I really could not be bothered wasting my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I could, and not just from this thread. But as you now have been shown from both as being disingenuous, I really could not be bothered wasting my time.

A spoofer with skin in the game tbh.

Me for querying your, IW will fix all household leaks to first fix criterion free of charge regardless of whether said households have "engaged" with IW or not, or you now more or less having to admit it is a load of bulls**t
    No

Okay. Sound as a bell.
    A spoofer with skin in the game tbh.

Try and keep on topic anyways. Otherwise it looks like you haven't a clue too tbh.

Okay. Sound as a bell.

Try and keep on topic anyways. Otherwise it looks like you haven't a clue too tbh.

I have seen your comments on other threads pertaining to Irish water. Inconsistency and misleading would be a mild description of your behaviour.

I have seen your comments on other threads pertaining to Irish water. Inconsistency and misleading would be a mild description of your behaviour.

The issues were pertaining at the time.

Once again stick to the thread topic or just don't bother replying.

• Advertisement

The issues were pertaining at the time.

Once again stick to the thread topic or just don't bother replying.

Thanks Joe but I don't need your permission to comment here. That would be a Mods function.
    As I said you contradicted yourself on numerous water related threads, only fair to point out your lack of credibility.
    Good idea disabling your previous post history though.

Advertisement