Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

The Cush wrote: »
    The article I quoted above says both eir and SIRO are going to make a submission to the Dept consultation but no signed committment, let's see where that goes.

Eircom would almost certainly submit the 35K extra rural. There should be no issue with a commitment agreement as apparently they're already completed.

Not sure why they haven't been removed from the map already. If the retailers have the eircodes then the Department should have them also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

clohamon wrote: »
    Eircom would almost certainly submit the 35K extra rural. There should be no issue with a commitment agreement as apparently they're already completed.

Not sure why they haven't been removed from the map already. If the retailers have the eircodes then the Department should have them also.

It's explained in the accompanying pdf.
    eir has also reported that an additional circa 34k premises outside but contiguous to the 300k committed to in April 2017 have also been passed at the end of June 2019. However, as these premises are not covered by the Commitment Agreement with eir, they have to date remained in the Intervention Area i.e. represented as Amber. Where eir demonstrates that these premises are in fact passed and subject to providing sufficient assurances that at least 95% of orders received from these premises will be connected at the standard regulated connection charge, it is proposed that these premises will be removed from the Intervention Area.

I don't think there is any doubt that these premises will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Additional cost of NBP expected to come from future revenues
    In the latest series of spending review papers, the Government said additional funding of up to €477 million will be required for the initial rollout over the period 2019 to 2022, and a total of €1.6 billion up to 2027.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ballooning-broadband-costs-won-t-derail-other-state-projects-says-government-1.3987272

Some information in relation to spending plans for the NBP.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Eircom have rolled fibre out to Fantane Borrisoleigh, a NBP area. Ready for drop points too! That’s a bit of a dick move. The Borrisoleigh rollout which I was part of completed in May 2018. It went from Borrisoleigh south to Bouladuff to north capinally Borrisoleigh. Always puzzled me why it never went to Fantane due to the cluster of houses there very nearby. So either it’s to rent to Enet or to spite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Eircom have rolled fibre out to Fantane Borrisoleigh, a NBP area. Ready for drop points too! That’s a bit of a dick move. The Borrisoleigh rollout which I was part of completed in May 2018. It went from Borrisoleigh south to Bouladuff to north capinally Borrisoleigh. Always puzzled me why it never went to Fantane due to the cluster of houses there very nearby. So either it’s to rent to Enet or to spite them.
    How many premises are we talking about? I wonder whether there are any other cases like that.

• Advertisement

The mapping consultation deadline has been extended by a week. I wonder why?

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/consultations/Pages/Conclusion-of-NBP-Mapping-Exercise.aspx/

KOR101 wrote: »
    How many premises are we talking about? I wonder whether there are any other cases like that.

It's likely they are part of the extra 34k premises that they passed in addition to the promised 300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

That area is on Eir's rural FTTH rollout plan, coming from the Templederry exchange. You'll find it on OpenEir's map - always has been, but it must be one of the last to be completed.

Here's the map of the area from fibrerollout.ie: https://ibb.co/d5026sL

<snip>

Noise.......

Fianna Fail is to call for Peter Smyth, an independent assessor, to take a fresh look at the tendering process after evidence emerged of links between Frank McCourt and Granahan McCourt, the government’s chosen bidder for the €5bn national broadband plan.

The Sunday Times revealed earlier this year that Granahan McCourt relied on the financial performance of a US company owned by Frank McCourt, a brother of Granahan chairman David McCourt, to meet qualifying criteria.

Smyth found in a previous report that the process had not been tainted by meetings between David McCourt and Denis Naughten, the communications minister who has since resigned.

Timmy Dooley, Fianna Fail’s spokesman on communications, said he would push the matter to a vote if necessary at this week’s meeting of the Oireachtas communications committee, which is due to finalise a report on the national broadband plan.

Dooley wants the committee to conclude in its report that “the interactions between the former minister for communications, David McCourt and Frank McCourt in New York have taken on new significance ... particularly in view of Granahan McCourt’s use of the assets of Frank McCourt to meet certain financial requirements during the tender process”.

He also wants the report to say that “it appears this information was not available to Peter Smyth, process auditor of the national broadband plan, during his review”. Smyth did not examine the consequences of Frank McCourt being a financial participant in the broadband scheme.

Frank McCourt, a billionaire who owns Olympique de Marseille football club and the rights to the Los Angeles marathon, attended a dinner with Naughten in July 2018 in New York.

Naughten resigned last October after it emerged he had had a series of private dinners with David McCourt. Smyth’s investigation found he and the businessman did not influence the tender process in favour of Granahan McCourt.

Questions about Frank McCourt’s presence at the dinner arose last May when the Department of Communications said it had relied on the finances of his company, McCourt Global, to meet the qualifying criteria in the assessment of Granahan McCourt’s tender submission.

Fine Gael members on the committee want the report to conclude the government should sign the proposed contracts and commence the rollout of broadband as quickly as possible.

Both Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein say they will not be supporting this recommendation. Fine Gael, which is in a minority on the committee, may issue a minority report.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fianna-fail-challenges-broadband-plan-5ccdpmkl7

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Sir Timmy is at it again, he wants Peter Smyth, the independent assessor who previously compiled the report of meetings between Min. Naughten and David McCourt, to investigate the tendering process and will push it to a vote at this week's Communication Committee meeting to finalise their report.
    Fianna Fail challenges broadband plan

Fianna Fail is to call for Peter Smyth, an independent assessor, to take a fresh look at the tendering process after evidence emerged of links between Frank McCourt and Granahan McCourt, the government’s chosen bidder for the €5bn national broadband plan.

The Sunday Times revealed earlier this year that Granahan McCourt relied on the financial performance of a US company owned by Frank McCourt, a brother of Granahan chairman David McCourt, to meet qualifying criteria.

Smyth found in a previous report that the process had not been tainted by meetings between David McCourt and Denis Naughten, the communications minister who has since resigned.

Timmy Dooley, Fianna Fail’s spokesman on communications, said he would push the matter to a vote if necessary at this week’s meeting of the Oireachtas communications committee, which is due to finalise a report on the national broadband plan.

Dooley wants the committee to conclude in its report that “the interactions between the former minister for communications, David McCourt and Frank McCourt in New York have taken on new significance ... particularly in view of Granahan McCourt’s use of the assets of Frank McCourt to meet certain financial requirements during the tender process”.

He also wants the report to say that “it appears this information was not available to Peter Smyth, process auditor of the national broadband plan, during his review”. Smyth did not examine the consequences of Frank McCourt being a financial participant in the broadband scheme.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fianna-fail-challenges-broadband-plan-5ccdpmkl7

Disagreement in the Committee on the final conclusions could see Fine Geal members issue a separate minority report
    Fine Gael members on the committee want the report to conclude the government should sign the proposed contracts and commence the rollout of broadband as quickly as possible.

Both Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein say they will not be supporting this recommendation. Fine Gael, which is in a minority on the committee, may issue a minority report.

The Committee meets in private session next Tuesday
    Tue, 20 Aug 2019

12.00 Joint Committee on Communications, Climate Action and Environment
    CR1, LH 2000

Private Meeting

• Advertisement

The mapping consultation deadline has been extended by a week. I wonder why?

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/consultations/Pages/Conclusion-of-NBP-Mapping-Exercise.aspx/

Extended now by a further 3 weeks to Sept 20th, a total 4 weeks extension from the original Aug 23rd. Pre-booked August holidays I assume is the reason, thought it odd at the time they would impose a tight 1 month deadline at this time of year.
    The deadline for submissions has now been extended by three weeks to 5pm on 20th September 2019 and should be sent to nbpmapping@dccae.gov.ie

The Cush wrote: »
    Extended now by a further 3 weeks to Sept 20th, a total 4 weeks extension from the original Aug 23rd. Pre-booked August holidays I assume is the reason, thought it odd at the time they would impose a tight 1 month deadline at this time of year.
    That's after the ploughing championship. Can they sign before the map is finalised?

That's after the ploughing championship. Can they sign before the map is finalised?
    Can't see why not, they already know eir has passed up to 40,000 from that 542,000 NBP figure with others being covered by the urban rollout.

Himself again, with another provocative headline.
    Cork to get nearly double broadband fund of Mayo and Galway
    Almost twice as much funding will be allocated to rolling out the National Broadband Plan (NBP) in Cork than in Galway, the county set to receive the next biggest investment, new figures have shown.

National Broadband Ireland (NBI), the preferred bidder for the state’s multi-billion-euro rural broadband scheme, plans to invest €290 million in Ireland’s largest county as part of its rollout. The money will cover 74,990 premises in Cork”
    https://www.businesspost.ie/news/cork-get-nearly-double-broadband-fund-mayo-galway-450399

In fact, the spend per premises is higher in both Galway (€3,879) and Mayo (€4,098) than it is in Cork (€3,876). Not sure if that’s clear in the rest of the text. (paywall)

The "new figures" are probably from 7th May here.
    https://dbei.gov.ie/en/News-And-Events/Department-News/2019/May/07052019.html#

They say they don't expect any material change to the map. But under EU Guidelines for the Application of State Aid they must publishing the relevant information of the project and inviting comment.

I doubt they can sign until the consultation is complete. You can see also that they are providing the documentation for any company to enter into a commitment agreement if wish to.

You can see also that they are providing the documentation for any company to enter into a commitment agreement if wish to.
    Which both eir and SIRO have said they won't be signing.

Oh I agree. It's almost done and dusted in terms of it being signed. Eir have shot their bolt in terms of bringing the whole thing down.

Also, someone has clearly complained twice about the deadline. It matters to someone.

Would NBI be willing to enter a contract with the scope of the intervention area still uncertain? I don't believe so. Anyway, has any deadline been met in this interminable process? I won't believe it is happening until I see evidence of NBI putting fibre on poles.

Due later today
    National Broadband Plan details to be subject of vote

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/national-broadband-plan-details-to-be-subject-of-vote-1.3991140

Jim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

westyIrl wrote: »

Yeesh. That doesn't make for good reading. Looks like delays are all but inevitable unless the government can ignore the committee report/votes completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/national-broadband-network-should-remain-in-public-ownership-oireachtas-committee-recommends-945070.html
    An Oireachtas Committee has called for the National Broadband Plan to remain in public ownership.
    A review carried out by the Communications Committee concluded the existing plan is based on a flawed tendering process and ignored viable alternative options.
    Committee member and Sinn Féin TD Brian Stanley says motions passed at the committee today found the State is actually carrying almost all of the risk of the project.
    The State is investing €3bn, while the private operator is investing €220m.
    Members also voted to re-open negotiations with the ESB in relation to the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Members also voted to re-open negotiations with the ESB in relation to the project

Jesus wept. Does this vote actually mean anything? More importantly is it a stumbling block?

Pique wrote: »
    Members also voted to re-open negotiations with the ESB in relation to the project.

They voted to re-open negotiations with a single entity (which would fall foul of state aid in any eventuality), that left the bidding process of its own free will.

Incompetent shower whoever voted for this approach.

Jim

I suppose Timmy Dooley always had enough opposition TDs and Senators in Committee to cause trouble with this, but it's not clear how he can force a vote in the Dail without his party leader agreeing to it.

https://twitter.com/Ocionnaith/status/1163829698725634048

Presumably he, Brian Stanley, or Barry Cowen can supply some legal advice to back up the ESB proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

clohamon wrote: »
    I suppose Timmy Dooley always had enough opposition TDs and Senators in Committee to cause trouble with this, but it's not clear how he can force a vote in the Dail without his party leader agreeing to it.

https://twitter.com/Ocionnaith/status/1163829698725634048

Presumably he, Brian Stanley, or Barry Cowen can supply some legal advice to back up the ESB proposal.

Reading a few news outlets which have picked this up. Looks like the government is not obliged to accept the committees recommendations and can continue on with the signing. Let's be honest these recommendations are the same old bs Timmy's been throwing around since the beginning. Sign the contract and stop wasting time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭rodge123

I wonder what Michael Martin makes of Timmy’s crusade to constantly thwart and delay the nbp, seen as michaels county is in line to receive the largest sum of money from the state for it!
    He really needs to put Timmmahh back in his box, the man is a clown as recently shown with his brexit tweet also.

FF can count on never receiving a vote for any election again from my household and a few for my friends also if they manage to delay this beyond the signing date of September as planned.

The report and vote do indeed seem a bit of a pointless exercise as I've just heard Timmy on the radio news saying it wasn't a red-line issue for FF and they wouldn't bring down the government if they're ignored. I'm sure he was made well aware of this FF stance by on high. So the signing is on...

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

rodge123 wrote: »
    FF can count on never receiving a vote for any election again from my household and a few for my friends also if they manage to delay this beyond the signing date of September as planned.

Wonderful example of 'throwback Ireland' It used be easy to say "that is a FF/FG house", glad it survives in yours :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭rodge123

BarryM wrote: »
    Wonderful example of 'throwback Ireland' It used be easy to say "that is a FF/FG house", glad it survives in yours :rolleyes:

Explain what’s “throwback ireland” about never giving a certain party a vote again based on them scuppering a plan that is very important to you?

Advertisement