Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options
  • 16-07-2019 9:54am
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The old NBP thread had hit the 10,000-post threshold that makes the boards.ie hamsters cry, so here's a shiny new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The old NBP thread had hit the 10,000-post threshold that makes the boards.ie hamsters cry, so here's a shiny new one.

Hopefully there won’t be a part 3 but unfortunately there most likely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder how long before this one hits 10,000 posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

How many parts will we have before everyone sees fibre I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

medoc wrote: »
    Hopefully there won’t be a part 3 but unfortunately there most likely will.

This is part 3!! Title of thread should be changed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Think these goons commissioned economist Colm McCarthy to do some "analysis" on the NBP some years ago. He's one of the Doheny & Nesbitt School of Economics and one of these guys who thinks the world starts and stops at the Red Cow Roundabout.

In any normal country they'd be laughed out of it but given the calibre of the likes of Dooley and Stanley on the Oireachtas Committee it's very likely they'll be received with open arms and the Department asked to go off and waste more time by analysing their business case.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

oscarBravo wrote: »

You.....you killed my baby...you monster :pac:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ED E wrote: »
    You.....you killed my baby...you monster :pac:

It had fulfilled its destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Think these goons commissioned economist Colm McCarthy to do some "analysis" on the NBP some years ago. He's one of the Doheny & Nesbitt School of Economics and one of these guys who thinks the world starts and stops at the Red Cow Roundabout.

Different group. That was Wispa. Rispa was only formed end last year.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Not a very convincing performance from either side today. The committee were poorly briefed on the wireless technology, and the one member who should be (Lawless) spent half his speaking time sympathising with them before outlining his concerns. They were repeatedly let assert that because the wireless technology would be used for 2% of the NBP, it satisfied the technological criteria for the other 98%. The chair was the only person who I believed was challenging the figures being thrown out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Marcus Matthews on Ivan Yates just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

The turkeys have arrived in an attempt to cancel Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭clohamon

Not a very convincing performance from either side today. The committee were poorly briefed on the wireless technology, and the one member who should be (Lawless) spent half his speaking time sympathising with them before outlining his concerns. They were repeatedly let assert that because the wireless technology would be used for 2% of the NBP, it satisfied the technological criteria for the other 98%. The chair was the only person who I believed was challenging the figures being thrown out.

Deputy Lawless had some previous with Imagine.
    https://jameslawless.ie/coverage-announced-rural-broadband-kildare-north/

On speeds, it's only luck and a bit of finesse by the Dept that has raised the minimum to 150Mb/s. The NGA/DAE specification is still 30Mb/s (min).

They seemed to be hoping for a GBS type voucher scheme. Anyone that remembers the GBS will know that it got bogged down in bureaucracy and had to be abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I was over in Bantry the last couple of days. The square was littered with (brand new, Dublin registered) eir vans.

One of them was towing a cable trailer with a heavy black cable. Afaik, fibre of that size is orange? So, were they running copper?

There is pole strung fibre in various places around the town, on a casual survey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

BarryM wrote: »
    I was over in Bantry the last couple of days. The square was littered with (brand new, Dublin registered) eir vans.

One of them was towing a cable trailer with a heavy black cable. Afaik, fibre of that size is orange? So, were they running copper?

There is pole strung fibre in various places around the town, on a casual survey.

The fibre cable they use is black. The orange reels you may see are sub-duct which would be installed underground before fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭clohamon

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Just piggy-backing on your post Navi. Press release by DCCAE today in relation to the above.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/news-and-media/press-releases/Pages/Press-Release-Minister-Bruton-Updates-Government-on-the-National-Broadband-Plan.aspx

I'm holding my breath for an Eir response that I hope won't come.

Jim

westyIrl wrote: »
    Just piggy-backing on your post Navi. Press release by DCCAE today in relation to the above.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/news-and-media/press-releases/Pages/Press-Release-Minister-Bruton-Updates-Government-on-the-National-Broadband-Plan.aspx

I'm holding my breath for an Eir response that I hope won't come.

Jim

Yep. I'm anticipating something similar myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Yep. I'm anticipating something similar myself.

Think they've had their chance. I'm sure theyl release something but the fear of them delaying the rollout has passed imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

From the DCCAE website

"150Mbps broadband product available for consumers upgraded to 300Mbps by year 6 and 500Mbps by year 10"

Are they capping the DL speeds to 150mbs? this is enough for the vast majority of people, but I'd like the option of going to 1Gbs.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    From the DCCAE website

"150Mbps broadband product available for consumers upgraded to 300Mbps by year 6 and 500Mbps by year 10"

Are they capping the DL speeds to 150mbs? this is enough for the vast majority of people, but I'd like the option of going to 1Gbs.

Thats minimums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

It will be interesting to see what sort a strategy will they adapt once they finally start rolling it out. Will they target the worst areas first or will they start the build out from where EIR has left off. It seems they will be renting the poles from Eir and stringing the Fibre out using EIR's poles and ducts is the general consensus. I'm 2km from my local exchange on 12mb ADSL2+ 0.6mb upload. Alot of the areas which had absolutely nothing near me have got EIR's FTTH already but obviously concentrated along main roads etc.

Think they've had their chance. I'm sure theyl release something but the fear of them delaying the rollout has passed imo

Brave assertion. I would not share your optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BandMember

theguzman wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what sort a strategy will they adapt once they finally start rolling it out. Will they target the worst areas first or will they start the build out from where EIR has left off. It seems they will be renting the poles from Eir and stringing the Fibre out using EIR's poles and ducts is the general consensus. I'm 2km from my local exchange on 12mb ADSL2+ 0.6mb upload. Alot of the areas which had absolutely nothing near me have got EIR's FTTH already but obviously concentrated along main roads etc.

They're bound to go for a lot of easy wins first - it's all about optics and stats, need to get visible results quickly to kill any bad press and/or opposition (T.D.'s mainly) rumblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

BandMember wrote: »
    They're bound to go for a lot of easy wins first - it's all about optics and stats, need to get visible results quickly to kill any bad press and/or opposition (T.D.'s mainly) rumblings.

Yeah probably places in Donegal, remote parts of Kerry etc. It will all be about delivering positive PR after the sh1tstorm the WISP's managed to stir up against it.

110 deployment areas of 5000 premises each. Works to commence in all counties within the first 12 months is the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

BandMember wrote: »
    theguzman wrote: »

But what constitutes an easy win ?

I suspect, my area for example, where we have about 15 houses on a 1 mile stretch of road, islanded by eirs rural fibre deployment. We are less than a mile from fibre, but its eir rural fibre, and if my understanding is correct, they wont be extending on from this, but running new fibre from distribution point many miles away, so low return for large effort. Frustrating, but I suspect areas like this will be nearly the last to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Im just waiting for EIR to say they will do an extra 200,000 homes in addition to their 300,000+ roll-out.

Advertisement