Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Were most new builds not ducted for 'telephone' as well as ESB as a norm?

I recall a new build from about 2008 that had both put in by builder, (not specifically specified by the owner).
    My estate in Balbriggan had those as well as TV ducting which Virgin Media used to fairly seamlessly rollout fibre to us. Estate has been taken over by council, so not sure whether those ducts are owned by individual companies. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭clohamon

Were most new builds not ducted for 'telephone' as well as ESB as a norm?

I recall a new build from about 2008 that had both put in by builder, (not specifically specified by the owner).

I guess the difference was "open access" and the fairly sophisticated specification.
    Everything from the premises boundary inwards belonged to the owner.

Original doc here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

KOR101 wrote: »
    My estate in Balbriggan had those as well as TV ducting which Virgin Media used to fairly seamlessly rollout fibre to us. Estate has been taken over by council, so not sure whether those ducts are owned by individual companies. Anyone?
    what happened in a lot of places in Dublin is the above VM struck up a contract with the developer and had exclusive access to that area for a certain period

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Looks on course to be signed around ploughing championship

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/bruton-3bn-nbp-deal-to-be-signed-in-weeks-38372196.html

Likely to be late September than earlier in the month according to the article, no guarantee it'll be ready by the ploughing but a good PR opportunity if it does.

Also in that article, NBI have responded to a series of questions sent to them by the Communications Committee last month after they turned down an invitation to appear before them.

Just in time for the compiling of the Committee's report which is due to be published on August 20th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

I’ve noticed something strange in some areas lately, fibre is on the poles outside some towns but the towns themselves seem to be using nova / imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    I’ve noticed something strange in some areas lately, fibre is on the poles outside some towns but the towns themselves seem to be using nova / imagine

What's strange about it? Most of the towns will also have FTTC available.

UK NBP may cost up to £30bn (€33bn)

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1157937462473383937

“Not long ago full fibre was ‘the love that dare not speak its name’ at BT, but now the company is shouting its ardour from the rooftops,” he said.

https://www.ft.com/content/2fafb366-b4f3-11e9-8cb2-799a3a8cf37b

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

The Cush wrote: »
    UK NBP may cost up to £30bn (€33bn)

UK have approx 3.5x the land area but 4x population density of the ROI. Them costs, loose as they probably are, really put the NBP subsidy into context.

Jim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

I happened to catch something on BBC one Sunday recently about a beautiful little remote village in the peak district where they had no broadband.

The community had taken it upon themselves to lay ducting and pull fibre over miles of private farm land to connect the village to the nearest fibre Trunk. I missed any reference to who actually supplied the fibre or if it was subsidised.

It was mainly retired gentlemen doing it themselves over time with a mini digger and then getting the younger stronger men to help in the tricky patches.

It was pretty inspiring to see the generation that will hardly ever use it do so much work for free in order that the younger generation could continue to live in a newly connected yet still remote little village.

I struggle to believe something similar would happen in Ireland tbh.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pique wrote: »
    I happened to catch something on BBC one Sunday recently about a beautiful little remote village in the peak district where they had no broadband.

The community had taken it upon themselves to lay ducting and pull fibre over miles of private farm land to connect the village to the nearest fibre Trunk. I missed any reference to who actually supplied the fibre or if it was subsidised.

It was mainly retired gentlemen doing it themselves over time with a mini digger and then getting the younger stronger men to help in the tricky patches.

It was pretty inspiring to see the generation that will hardly ever use it do so much work for free in order that the younger generation could continue to live in a newly connected yet still remote little village.

I struggle to believe something similar would happen in Ireland tbh.

It's called B4RN (broadband for the rural north). I've been to one of their open days. It's definitely a commendable project, and it's very successful, but it wouldn't translate well to here, because we have more fragmented ownership of land, and a much less open attitude to letting third parties access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's called B4RN (broadband for the rural north). I've been to one of their open days. It's definitely a commendable project, and it's very successful, but it wouldn't translate well to here, because we have more fragmented ownership of land, and a much less open attitude to letting third parties access it.

I met Barry Forde of B4RN about 4 years ago and was immensely impressed with his passion and drive for the project. There's quite a few spin off projects out of it too.

I came back to my own rural community and started asking the various farmers if they had any interest in enabling something similar to happen here. I found a total generation gap ... younger farmers (<50) were generally on-board, however the more mature individuals had absolutely no interest in their land being interfered with. :(

The Cush wrote: »
    Also in that article, NBI have responded to a series of questions sent to them by the Communications Committee last month after they turned down an invitation to appear before them.

Just in time for the compiling of the Committee's report which is due to be published on August 20th.

Committee on Communications meeting in private session this Wed to discuss members submissions and no doubt NBI's late submission, before a final committee report which is to include the views of all parties is published on August 20.
    7 Aug 2019, 12.00
    The Joint Committee on Communications, Climate Action and Environment will meet in private session in Committee Room 1, LH2000.

Robert Watt, Sec. Gen Dept. of Public Expenditure
    Public services ‘inefficient’, says top civil servant Robert Watt

One of the State’s most senior civil servants has said the public service has “hundreds of offices and thousands of civil servants providing outdated, inefficient and very expensive” services.

Mr Watt wrote: “We are pushing ahead with digital strategy as you are aware – I don’t know what is meant by offline strategy. We have hundreds of offices and thousands of civil servants providing outdated, inefficient and very expensive channels when most citizens want [a] better digital offering.”

His digital offering would exclude the NBP of course
    Responses to the strategy included calls for the speedy rollout of the National Broadband Plan, which has been the target of criticism from Mr Watt’s department before, which argued that the €3 billion public subsidy for the scheme did not represent good value for money.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/public-services-inefficient-says-top-civil-servant-robert-watt-1.3977062

Just looking at Dublin, those purple dots are scattered all over the place and not in blocks of areas as you might expect. There were hardy that number of individual submissions. Did the mapping exercise use ISP address checkers to check against some list of all addresses?

The Department is seeking submissions to confirm whether any operator is already offering NGA services, or has concrete plans to provide NGA services to these particular premises. Where premises are not addressed, the Department is seeking submissions on whether particular barriers exist in addressing these premises and if so, to propose solutions on how these issues could be resolved.

Hard to believe UCD Engineering Department can't get a decent connection.

487419.png
    https://dcenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9d14d1255e2242a1b0ce04bf6fc9c5d3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

clohamon wrote: »
    Hard to believe UCD Engineering Department can't get a decent connection.

The map is only for consumer type broadband products.

Most of those in the intervention area could get a enterprise grade fibre connection, if they were willing to pay for it. And that is, what UCD more than likely has .. because a consumer grade connection would not be sustainable for them.

Even if UCD was listed .. for the sake of it .. as being eligable for VDSL or FTTH, it would be of no benefit to them. Their traffic volumes would kill it day 1.

You're comparing apples and oranges here.

So yes .. they're listed as not covered .. because they do not need to be covered. It's useless to them anyhow. Why put infrastructure in place, that never is going to be used ?

/M

UCD will be on HEAnet

UCD will be on HEAnet

And here is another thing ... Schools .. that includes UCD .. are part of the schools broadband contract .. which is not up for another few years.

So OpenEIR didn't give a darn about them in this round. They won't see any new connections nor more money from them until the next tender is going.

Another reason why it doesn't matter.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The map is only for consumer type broadband products.

Most of those in the intervention area could get a enterprise grade fibre connection, if they were willing to pay for it. And that is, what UCD more than likely has .. because a consumer grade connection would not be sustainable for them.

Even if UCD was listed .. for the sake of it .. as being eligable for VDSL or FTTH, it would be of no benefit to them. Their traffic volumes would kill it day 1.

You're comparing apples and oranges here.

So yes .. they're listed as not covered .. because they do not need to be covered. It's useless to them anyhow. Why put infrastructure in place, that never is going to be used ?

/M

Sure, I agree with all that. But question remains, how did a purple dot materialise in that location. They're all over Trinity as well.
    So what criteria are being used? Are they simply deducting the known covered eircodes from all eircodes and then depicting what's left in purple?

• Advertisement

Sure, I agree with all that. But question remains, how did a purple dot materialise in that location. They're all over Trinity as well.
    So what criteria are being used? Are they simply deducting the known covered eircodes from all eircodes and then depicting what's left in purple?

The criteria is, that the dots are based on the data supplied by the provider by openeir, virgin etc. .. everyone who submitted the data. That's data for consumer connections only.

And if none of them has put infrastructure in place to service that premise with consumer grade internet and it's not been reported as covered, then it gets a purple dot.

The fact is, that none of these providers would have the infrastructure in place for that premise ... because it's pointless. They will never ever get an order for a consumer broadband product for that premise. Simples. It's a fact of economics.

And yes .. the department would exactly do that: take all eircodes, remove the ones that are covered/have been reported, leave the remainder purple. Because how else would you do it ?

/M

And yes .. the department would exactly do that: take all eircodes, remove the ones that are covered/have been reported, leave the remainder purple. Because how else would you do it ?

/M

I'm not sure it's quite that simple. In some places in Trinity there are more purple dots than there are eircodes. So there must be some other dataset they're using also, or instead.

487450.png487451.png

I'm not sure it's quite that simple. In some places in Trinity there are more purple dots than there are eircodes. So there must be some other dataset they're using also, or instead.

The eircode data does not only consist of single eircodes. There can be multiple premises on an eircode, especially in indutrial/business areas.

The eircode website however only shows a dot per eircode. But the database itself looks a bit different.

Either way ... also in Trinity .. anything that is University, School, even some government buildings or the likes .. doesn't matter to the providers when it comes to consumer grade broadband. So they do not need to be enabled.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

https://dcenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9d14d1255e2242a1b0ce04bf6fc9c5d3

Is (I hope );) a portion of a rural village, not much overlap of postcodes here?

There is a FFTC cabinet in the dark(ish) blue area, and the fibre passes all the locations in the light(er) blue area.

So, how would you interpret the purple?

BarryM wrote: »

Is (I hope );) a portion of a rural village, not much overlap of postcodes here?

There is a FFTC cabinet in the dark(ish) blue area, and the fibre passes all the locations in the light(er) blue area.

You'll have to take a screenshot and upload it. The map url doesn't include any location data, it's just a map id.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/private-ownership-of-national-broadband-network-unfair-1.3979895
    The cross-party Oireachtas Committee on Communications is in the process of compiling a report into the controversial broadband plan, and met on Wednesday to formulate a number of recommendations on how to proceed with the project.

Sources at the meeting said it had been decided that a vote would be held on August 20th on a contentious proposal from Fianna Fáil to recommend that the Government commission an external, independent review around the project’s viability.

A draft version of the report, seen by The Irish Times, also raises concerns around the governance of the broadband plan and the length of time the rollout of the network will take.

BarryM wrote: »

Not sure, where the purple are (since I can't see, what you are referring to), but if the purple are in the dark blue area, then the copper to them is too bad to achieve 30 Mbit/s or they are on legacy wiring.

They could also be premises, that have been connected with a USO line using wireless.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/07/warren-makes-85b-federally-funded-broadband-promise/

Her alternative is to shovel billions to everyone but ISPs to improve internet infrastructure.
    Only electricity and telephone cooperatives, non-profit organizations, tribes, cities, counties, and other state subdivisions will be eligible for grants from this fund,” she wrote, “and all grants will be used to build the fiber infrastructure necessary to bring high-speed broadband to unserved areas, underserved areas, or areas with minimal competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/07/warren-makes-85b-federally-funded-broadband-promise/

Her alternative is to shovel billions to everyone but ISPs to improve internet infrastructure.
    Only electricity and telephone cooperatives, non-profit organizations, tribes, cities, counties, and other state subdivisions will be eligible for grants from this fund,” she wrote, “and all grants will be used to build the fiber infrastructure necessary to bring high-speed broadband to unserved areas, underserved areas, or areas with minimal competition.
    Judging by what I read about customer experience with Comcast and Verizon actively screwing customers and attempting to block community schemes, I reckon this will be broadly welcomed by the majority of users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

And here is another thing ... Schools .. that includes UCD .. are part of the schools broadband contract .. which is not up for another few years.

So OpenEIR didn't give a darn about them in this round. They won't see any new connections nor more money from them until the next tender is going.

Another reason why it doesn't matter.

/M

I was under the impression the BB for schools contract was specifically for Primary/Secondary and didnt include third level institutions.

Neither UCD nor TCD have any shortage though, 10Gb backbones are plenty for them.

zOULbrj.png
    EpN4OrY.png

Advertisement