Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Orebro wrote: »
    So, we have 6/7 weeks to go before the Ploughing Championships. I'm sure everyone in rural Ireland would love this thing to be signed sealed and delivered in time for this. Is there anything Timmy and his circus of misinformed clowns can do to delay or scupper it at this stage?

Yeah:confused:....If auld Timmy cant bring down the NBP he will try and bring down the backstop and f**k up Brexit for us as well. No money for anything after this... English media are picking up on this a the first sign of weakness in our position. Timmy is having a great few days :confused:

https://twitter.com/timmydooley/status/1156099441197273088

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

Timmy has since deleted his tweet, but thankfully someone managed to grab a screenshot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/cjpndp/the_brexit_mess_is_mainly_our_governments_fault/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

What an absolute Eejit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

Timmy has since deleted his tweet, but thankfully someone managed to grab a screenshot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/cjpndp/the_brexit_mess_is_mainly_our_governments_fault/

Mícheál would want to put this lad backstage for a while, things are far too delicate for loose talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The man's an absolute moron. He should stay inside his bloody brief and stop trying to make a name for himself.

The only name he's making with his antics is that of an unqualified idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The only thing that comes to mind every time I see his name mentioned

https://i.gifer.com/7AQG.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

DCCAE have opened a consultation on the NBP map. If any operators have plans to build a network in the intervention areas they have until the 23rd of August to inform the Dept.

It will be interesting to see what eir will do. They would have to enter a new commitment contract for any new premises.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/consultations/Pages/Conclusion-of-NBP-Mapping-Exercise.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

DCCAE have opened a consultation on the NBP map. If any operators have plans to build a network in the intervention areas they have until the 23rd of August to inform the Dept.

It will be interesting to see what eir will do. They would have to enter a new commitment contract for any new premises.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/consultations/Pages/Conclusion-of-NBP-Mapping-Exercise.aspx

They're giving the operators up to 7 years to deploy such a network (presumably in line with the planned NBP timeline). Surely that's a license for Eir to come in and say "We'll take the easy 150k we mentioned before"

They're giving the operators up to 7 years to deploy such a network (presumably in line with the planned NBP timeline). Surely that's a license for Eir to come in and say "We'll take the easy 150k we mentioned before"

Not necessarily. I don't think DCCAE would accept eir saying "we'll pass 150k over seven years". I expect any contract would have a much tighter timeline and that would be the issue for eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Not necessarily. I don't think DCCAE would accept eir saying "we'll pass 150k over seven years". I expect any contract would have a much tighter timeline and that would be the issue for eir.

Jeez I hope so. I'd consider myself to be among those 150k. If eir were given a 7 year timeline they could actually sit on their asses for the first 5-6 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I also wonder if the department are hobbling any intervention by saying:
    which would pass the technical, deployment and financial criteria
    , as if that entails the SLA, external wholesale, etc. that made Eir balk at the tender, then they're not going to change their stance on the matter.

I also wonder if the department are hobbling any intervention by saying:

, as if that entails the SLA, external wholesale, etc. that made Eir balk at the tender, then they're not going to change their stance on the matter.

I don't think so. It would be on similar terms to the 300k contract. It would be private investment so they can't enforce company structures and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

Jeez I hope so. I'd consider myself to be among those 150k. If eir were given a 7 year timeline they could actually sit on their asses for the first 5-6 years

The department are bound by this,
    If the granting authority takes a longer time horizon for the deployment of the subsidised infrastructure, the same time horizon should also be used to assess the existence of commercial investment plans. (para 63)
    https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv:OJ.C_.2013.025.01.0001.01.ENG

There's also this from a 2016 strategy doc which is usually seen as an update of the objectives of the guidelines above.
    Strategic objective for 2025: All European households, rural or urban, will have access to Internet connectivity offering a downlink of at least 100 Mbps, upgradable to Gigabit speed.
    https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX:52016SC0300

So it's difficult to see how the 2015 assessment criteria would still be adequate in performance terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

from NBI statement.....

National Broadband Ireland (NBI) is the Preferred Bidder for the contract, and Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has already indicated that he would like to have the contract signed by the National Ploughing Championships in mid-September this year. The first homes could be passed and connected by early autumn next year once the contract is closed.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2019/07/31/nbi-says-it-will-bring-broadband-to-33-of-premises-in-donegal/

The DCCAE has also released an updated version of the NBP map. The extra 34k premises that eir has passed, or will pass, in addition to the 300k are still not included although DCCAE states that they are likely to be.

Interestingly, they have also found an additional 46000 premises across the country that can't access "NGA services", as they put it. These 46k are additional to the 84500 premises found in 2017. They are scattered across the country and can be seen on the new map as purple dots.

https://dcenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9d14d1255e2242a1b0ce04bf6fc9c5d3

For all the huffing and puffing.....

The Department has also continued to engage with fixed wireless operators through correspondence and meetings and has requested the necessary technical/financial and commercial information from these operators which would allow the Department to assess whether their networksshould be considered as NGA and excluded from the Intervention Area. However, to date, no submission has been received from any fixed wireless operator that would justify a change to the Intervention Area.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/consultations/Documents/88/consultations/2019_NBP_Mapping_Consultation.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

KOR101 wrote: »
    For all the huffing and puffing.....

The Department has also continued to engage with fixed wireless operatorsthrough correspondenceand meetings and has requested the necessary technical/financial and commercial information from these operatorswhich would allow the Department to assess whether theirnetworksshould be considered as NGA and excluded from the Intervention Area. However, to date, no submission has been received from any fixed wireless operator that would justify a change to the Intervention Area.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/consultations/Documents/88/consultations/2019_NBP_Mapping_Consultation.pdf

Little point in them submitting anything when they're well able to hoover up willing customers without any palava

Interestingly, they have also found an additional 46000 premises across the country that can't access "NGA services", as they put it. These 46k are additional to the 84500 premises found in 2017. They are scattered across the country and can be seen on the new map as purple dots.
    Just looking at Dublin, those purple dots are scattered all over the place and not in blocks of areas as you might expect. There were hardy that number of individual submissions. Did the mapping exercise use ISP address checkers to check against some list of all addresses?

The Department is seeking submissions to confirm whether any operator is already offering NGA services, or has concrete plans to provide NGA services to these particular premises. Where premises are not addressed, the Department is seeking submissions on whether particular barriers exist in addressing these premises and if so, to propose solutions on how these issues could be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The DCCAE has also released an updated version of the NBP map. The extra 34k premises that eir has passed, or will pass, in addition to the 300k are still not included although DCCAE states that they are likely to be.

A quick comparison of the NBI consultation map and eir's April version of the fibrerollout map confirms this for my area, of course it's been 18 months since the last major review of the intervention map and appears not to be updated on an on going basis.

A question on the Draft Commitment Agreement, this from the obligations section
    the overarching purpose of the [Operator] Deployment is to provide [insert] premises in Ireland with NGA Broadband Services by December 2020;

even though this is about a rollout plan over the next 7 years will there be a requirement to begin this by the end of next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

There is area I am aware of, I think the cabinet has just been launched.
    a work colleague has just upgraded to FTTC and is getting close to 90mb as he is close to the Cabinet, but on the map, all the houses are marked purple that are covered by the cabinet?

purple dots.JPG

Just looking at Dublin, those purple dots are scattered all over the place and not in blocks of areas as you might expect. There were hardy that number of individual submissions. Did the mapping exercise use ISP address checkers to check against some list of all addresses?

I'm not entirely sure how they have found them all. Perhaps each wholesale operator (plus Virgin) has provided them with a list of Eircodes and they have cross referenced?
    The Cush wrote: »
    A quick comparison of the NBI consultation map and eir's April version of the fibrerollout map confirms this for my area, of course it's been 18 months since the last major review of the intervention map and appears not to be updated on an on going basis.

A question on the Draft Commitment Agreement, this from the obligations section

even though this is about a rollout plan over the next 7 years will there be a requirement to begin this by the end of next year?

Whatever about next year I don't see how eir or anyone else saying "we're planning a build in X area to begin in 2025" could be accepted. There would have to be some closer timeframe.
    a work colleague has just upgraded to FTTC and is getting close to 90mb as he is close to the Cabinet, but on the map, all the houses are marked purple that are covered by the cabinet?

There seems to be a few areas like that, which had been marked as covered on the old map but obviously open eir never got round to launching the cabinet. It seems to be now up to the operators, as part of this consultation, to inform the Department as and when these areas become live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

from NBI statement.....

National Broadband Ireland (NBI) is the Preferred Bidder for the contract, and Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has already indicated that he would like to have the contract signed by the National Ploughing Championships in mid-September this year. The first homes could be passed and connected by early autumn next year once the contract is closed.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2019/07/31/nbi-says-it-will-bring-broadband-to-33-of-premises-in-donegal/

They're steadily doing the rounds with the local radio stations etc - similar stories over the last few days in Kerry and Clare detailing the amounts the county is getting invested etc - great move by NBI & Gov to shore up support.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

purple dots.JPG

WTF? Looks like a piece of 'art' :) In your opinion what is behind the dots? a house, a cabinet, a pole? In that context what exactly is the NGA they cannot get? i.e. what NGA is available to everyone who isn't a purple dot?

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

BarryM wrote: »
    WTF? Looks like a piece of 'art' :) In your opinion what is behind the dots? a house, a cabinet, a pole? In that context what exactly is the NGA they cannot get? i.e. what NGA is available to everyone who isn't a purple dot?

You couldn't make it up.

Each dot is a house.
    Up until about 4 weeks ago, all those houses could only get DSL, 2 or 3 mbs, but now they have FTTC with up to 100mbs speed.

I think the cabinet in the area has been planned for number of years, and it has finally gone live.

I think the cabinet in the area has been planned for number of years, and it has finally gone live.
    They are probably working from databases of Eircodes given to them by the ISPs. And they just haven't got the very latest update.

At least your area makes sense because it is an entire area of houses. It's all those one off purple dots in Dublin that are really problematic. I assume that a lot of them are direct to exchange houses which bypass the cabs. If NBI has to do those as well, then God help them. That's where a USO at the tail end of things really would come in handy.

New homes may be required to have high-speed broadband cabling installed in order to gain planning approval under plans being advanced by Government.

Officials from the Department of Communications have written to the Oireachtas committee on communications to say they want to make it mandatory that ducting needed for high-speed broadband be included in order for planning permission to be obtained.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-homes-may-be-required-to-have-high-speed-broadband-capability-1.3975751

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

New homes may be required to have high-speed broadband cabling installed in order to gain planning approval under plans being advanced by Government.

Officials from the Department of Communications have written to the Oireachtas committee on communications to say they want to make it mandatory that ducting needed for high-speed broadband be included in order for planning permission to be obtained.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-homes-may-be-required-to-have-high-speed-broadband-capability-1.3975751

Again, you could not make it up....

"they want to make it mandatory" That's nice, but will they? It isn't even in their area of responsibility. Even if it was ever implemented would it be supervised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

Glad to see this getting its annual outing. It goes back to 2011, and probably before.
    “Recommendations For Open Access Fibre Ducting and Interior Cabling for New Residential Buildings
    Making Homes Fibre Ready"
    Document No: DCENR 11/01 Date: 31st March, 2011
    1.64 Are recommendations necessary for the installation of fibre ducting to the home?
    1.65 Do you agree with the non mandatory approach of issuing recommendations rather than mandating construction ?
    1.66 Should the open access fibre ducting be mandatory to install but not mandatory to use?
    1.67 Should another approach be adopted

It was a pretty good document and still available from DCCAE apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

clohamon wrote: »
    Glad to see this getting its annual outing. It goes back to 2011, and probably before.

It was a pretty good document and still available from DCCAE apparently.

Were most new builds not ducted for 'telephone' as well as ESB as a norm?

I recall a new build from about 2008 that had both put in by builder, (not specifically specified by the owner).

Advertisement