Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,015 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Here we are final 2 and a pairing little people would of thought. England vs South Africa in in the 2019 World cup final

Think England will win it and go down as one of the best world cup wins ever. Simply came out of nowhere with a slow build to this (obv a 6N title and other big wins in this cycle). They aimed to peak at this stage and by god they did it. Still South Africa on there day could beat them and have been equally as impressive this tournament

The didn't win the 6N's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The didn't win the 6N's.

They also missed a massive pool game to get through to the final...

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

They also missed a massive pool game to get through to the final...

By missing that pool game they had to play NZ, nothing easy about that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The didn't win the 6N's.

This cycle, i.e. since the last world cup.

If they win then it will have come off the back of their most successful cycle in terms of 6Ns since the 2003 RWC, where they won 3 of the 4 titles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The didn't win the 6N's.

"in this cycle" presumably means in the last 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭riddles

Here we are final 2 and a pairing little people would of thought. England vs South Africa in in the 2019 World cup final

Think England will win it and go down as one of the best world cup wins ever. Simply came out of nowhere with a slow build to this (obv a 6N title and other big wins in this cycle). They aimed to peak at this stage and by god they did it. Still South Africa on there day could beat them and have been equally as impressive this tournament

I don’t SA have been equally as impressive by a long shot. The first 20 minutes they fired everything at NZ then got picked off and routinely dispatched. I think that defeat knocked them back a bit. England by 8-10 points

• Registered Users Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Here we are final 2 and a pairing little people would of thought.

Yeah well I'm sure most 'little people' would have hoped to see De Klerk and Kolbe playing in the final.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The didn't win the 6N's.

They did in 2016 and 2017

Overall all world cup cycle i was referring too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    By missing that pool game they had to play NZ, nothing easy about that

Never said it was an easy route - things could have been different though. Anyway we'll never know...

They did in 2016 and 2017

Overall all world cup cycle i was referring too

Fair enough.

My own prediction is that the only chance SA have, is to drag this down to a filthy arm wrestle. But even then have they shown they have a rugby brain to execute a win?

England's to lose really, I think they are good for a couple of tries which will see them home. Hope SA will come up with something, would be great to have a good final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

England look on form and to have more craft around the park. Here’s the but: they can turn off too. No bad match thus far in the tournament. About to be met for the first time with head on ferocity to match their own. If SA drag them into the trenches they will win. On form, England. On the day, SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Just dawned on me that England will have beaten the SH big 3 in the knockouts if they go on and win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Just dawned on me that England will have beaten the SH big 3 in the knockouts if they go on and win it.

This is the reason why England might go on to dominate world rugby they have a far bigger population and more resources than anyone else e.g. like Dublin in gaa. There's all sorts of talk of possible dynasties if Eddie Jones stays on, understandably so given the age of their team.

NZ are beginning to develop a psychological complex against England in sport (see Cricket) I think England can go onto to beat NZ again if necessary in 4 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Make that _all_ the southern hemisphere teams, when you throw in Argentina during the pool stages...

On that note, still feel like Argentina were hard done by v France in the opening weekend, which was effectively their do or die game...

This is the reason why England might go on to dominate world rugby they have a far bigger population and more resources than anyone else e.g. like Dublin in gaa. There's all sorts of talk of possible dynasties if Eddie Jones stays on, understandably so given the age of their team.

NZ are beginning to develop a psychological complex against England in sport (see Cricket) I think England can go onto to beat NZ again if necessary in 4 years time.

Eh? England were the number 1 team in the world going into the Cricket World Cup this year, and only just scraped past NZ due to a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

England now 2/5 on Betfair. Constantly shortening.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No World Cup final thread on the forum?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,057 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

walshb wrote: »
    No World Cup final thread on the forum?

Feel free to start one up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Gonna go against grain and say South Africa by less than a try.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

SA get the right start they'll be in it to the end.

First 20 will be fascinating and might register on the Richter scale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What is with the oversized monitor in front of Eddie?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

lawred2 wrote: »
    What is with the oversized monitor in front of Eddie?

So far away from the pitch due to the running track

• Registered Users Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Gonna go against grain and say South Africa by less than a try.

Half right at least.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Delighted with the winner of the tournament. I really enjoyed the final. Love an underdog win and a final with a conclusive scoreline and no cards is always good.

I certainly wouldn't have had South Africa to win the world cup before it started. In fact, I probably had them knocked out by Ireland!

Tournament was good but not great. Cancellation of matches will always leave a slightly sour taste. And the times of the games were a bit of pain but that's just a personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Delighted with the winner of the tournament. I really enjoyed the final. Love an underdog win and a final with a conclusive scoreline and no cards is always good.

I certainly wouldn't have had South Africa to win the world cup before it started. In fact, I probably had them knocked out by Ireland!

Tournament was good but not great. Cancellation of matches will always leave a slightly sour taste. And the times of the games were a bit of pain but that's just a personal preference.

Hmmm South Africa don't really fall into an underdog category.

Slightly unfavoured but hardly underdogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

First team to win having lost a pool game, also first team to win having won the 3N/RC the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Definitely couldn't call South Africa underdogs after their performance in the Rugby Championship, a lot of people had them winning or at least getting to the final in their predictions before the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

lawred2 wrote: »
    Hmmm South Africa don't really fall into an underdog category.

Slightly unfavoured but hardly underdogs.
    Definitely couldn't call South Africa underdogs after their performance in the Rugby Championship, a lot of people had them winning or at least getting to the final in their predictions before the tournament.

I meant underdog as regards the final rather than an underdog team in the tournament. I had the majority of places and people saying England would win the final.

• The hunt is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Got my 1/4 final predictions completely wrong but called 3 of the 4 semi finalists (damn you vahaamahina!) and the 2 finalists!

Overall thought the tournament was a bit of a disappointment with only a handful of entertaining games.

Good for the game though that the Boks are back, the Lions is looking like it’ll be great now! Surprised Rassie is moving away from the role considering that’s only around the corner!

Too early to start naming your Lions 23? ;)

Advertisement