Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Andrew33 wrote: »
    You still haven’t defined what you think a classic (or future classic) is. Classic cars are not defined by what an insurance company worker thinks (lets face it, mostly 18-25 year olds working in a call centre, reading from a script. Tapping a reg number into a computer only to get the “answer is no” response).
    If that’s the only answer you can come up with........
    As I’ve said before, your user name should be Row Starter.

What?

What are you on about?

A 17 year old 1.4 Audi is not a classic in any way, shape or form.

You need to understand that, you can't debate it, it's not a classic.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

crazyjim wrote: »
    I admire the A2's styling etc. But that car has 284k miles. It's literally been driven to the moon, and then some.

They are a nice little car, but that one is way overpriced for what it is.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

How is a 17 year old car a classic?

In fairness to 2011abc he suggested future classic with both a question mark and an exclamation mark. Andrew33 suggested it with a question mark.
    In my opinion both have put the suggestion out there as a conversation starter as opposed to a statement of absolute fact and considering the motor in question, it's a legit question.
    Splitting hairs over a couple of hundred quid is personal taste.
    My opinion is they are cool little cars but that one has too many miles for me to consider it any use. That's just me. I'm not handy with a spanner. I have no idea who on this forum is handy with spanner!
    Point being, everyone on this forum brings a different perspective. That's what makes the thread interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

What?

What are you on about?

A 17 year old 1.4 Audi is not a classic in any way, shape or form.

You need to understand that, you can't debate it, it's not a classic.

To be fair, he can literally debate it until the cows come home if he wishes. The forum is here to chat about cars, not to be shot down.

If we are going to be pedantic, I would take it as he meant a future classic based on the english definition of the word classic, not the Irish insurance industries opinion of a classic.

For what it's worth, i'd say you'd get a classic policy on that as a second car, but that's for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some cars have that "classic" tag from Day 1 out of the box.

Usually it's something exotic like a Lamborghini Miura but occasionally It's because of some technical or engineering innovation.

The Audi A2 was unusual from the start and marked out as a future classic

Having said that the car has to survive intact for 30 years to get the reward of classic tax and few do. Someone has to spot the potential and nurture them through those difficult years from 15 to 30.

My own favourite which was a classic straight out of the factory was the BMW E9.

• Advertisement

W123-80's wrote: »
    In fairness to 2011abc he suggested future classic with both a question mark and an exclamation mark. Andrew33 suggested it with a question mark.
    In my opinion both have put the suggestion out there as a conversation starter as opposed to a statement of absolute fact and considering the motor in question, it's a legit question.
    Splitting hairs over a couple of hundred quid is personal taste.
    My opinion is they are cool little cars but that one has too many miles for me to consider it any use. That's just me. I'm not handy with a spanner. I have no idea who on this forum is handy with spanner!
    Point being, everyone on this forum brings a different perspective. That's what makes the thread interesting.

Yeah it was a conversation starter, we conversed, we have different perspectives.
    That’s what it’s all about.

To be fair, he can literally debate it until the cows come home if he wishes. The forum is here to chat about cars, not to be shot down.

If we are going to be pedantic, I would take it as he meant a future classic based on the english definition of the word classic, not the Irish insurance industries opinion of a classic.

For what it's worth, i'd say you'd get a classic policy on that as a second car, but that's for another thread.

I’m chatting about cars, not being pedantic.

You can take it anyway you want, it doesn’t bother me in the slightest if you lean towards the English rather than Irish definition.

It’s worth the square root of nothing that you think you would get a classic policy on that car. It’s not a classic car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

elperello wrote: »
    Some cars have that "classic" tag from Day 1 out of the box.

Usually it's something exotic like a Lamborghini Miura but occasionally It's because of some technical or engineering innovation.

The Audi A2 was unusual from the start and marked out as a future classic

Having said that the car has to survive intact for 30 years to get the reward of classic tax and few do. Someone has to spot the potential and nurture them through those difficult years from 15 to 30.

My own favourite which was a classic straight out of the factory was the BMW E9.

This!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I’m chatting about cars, not being pedantic.

You can take it anyway you want, it doesn’t bother me in the slightest if you lean towards the English rather than Irish definition.

It’s worth the square root of nothing that you think you would get a classic policy on that car. It’s not a classic car.

Whatever you do, don't watch back to the future 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I’ve an A2. Great little car. Qualifier for a future classic, as much as any oil burner is these days. I’ve also got a few yokes under classic insurance, including an Audi TT, which is all of two years older than my A2. There are no absolutes on what’s classic or not. Just do your own thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

AXA insure classic cars from 15 years old... Just saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-renault-clio/26375810

MWFlN2Q2YTk0ODVjNTUxYjhiZGY2NWQzOTllOTZkNTVbmOrfow8e_W4tyX0zG6RpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjA5ODIyMDR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NTkyY2YyZWNlOTg4MjgzNTFhNWFmZTkxMmFjZDgyNDlHLueyYWaR20FbaPANqhnVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjA5ODIyMDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2010 Clio GT 1.6 petrol, NCT til September 2021, €1850

Just shy of 130 bhp apparently, interesting little car. €570 tax

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-x3-2005-2-0-diesel-full-leather-nct-1-22/26679527

NGQ3NzI0ZjQzMDFlZjdkNGU5M2U2N2EzOGJlNzI0ZjHwMctGH6INftlA5H3a3pHraHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQwNzMwNDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking 2.0d X3 with NCT all the way to January 2022, €1950

Respectable looking 4 wheel drive for someone. These are quite nice

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-2006-2-5-v6-automatic-nct11-22/26677987

NWE2YzNmZTFhNjA0NjViN2MxY2NkMTI4ZmVlMGRjZGM2Iyt_NbBlp9piqTPCi31QaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQwNjA5NTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Well spec'd 2.5 V6 Superb with full history and 1 owner since import, NCT til November 2021, €1995

A bit expensive considering there is a hefty tax bill due on top of the purchase price, but it does look lovely

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-bmw-320i-coupe-se/26646663

ZDU2ZDhkYjYxNjQ2YjljMDIyZWQxZWI3ZTA2ZmRmY2Qd8spfncqj_Ky6JjSIxxdlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjM3MjI2Mzh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Tidy looking e92 with NCT til July 2021 and a bit of tax, €1995

Classy and respectable looking car for the money

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-skoda-octavia-vrs-new-nct-1-22-tax-3-21/26641069

ODU1YmQ4OTQ2ZmQwZmJhZDgxNzdmMDFjMDI5M2Y4YTDwmHmnZDfjFQUdn6u7mfwCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjM2NjQ5ODF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Original Irish 2005 Mk1 VRS with NCT til January 2022 and tax til March next year, €1850

I don't know if this is cheap or a bargain but a nice bit of tax IMO makes any bangernomics car a bit more appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Re the black clio, I've been in few 5 doors and I've always liked them and they felt well put together for the segment. I once rented the subsequent model and was so disappointed by the quality. It felt so flimsy by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

There's some lovely cars there Duke. I'd love the Octavia to put away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

2010 Clio GT 1.6 petrol, NCT til September 2021, €1850

Just shy of 130 bhp apparently, interesting little car. €570 tax
    Phase 1 front end phase 2 rear end.............just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-x3-2005-2-0-diesel-full-leather-nct-1-22/26679527

NGQ3NzI0ZjQzMDFlZjdkNGU5M2U2N2EzOGJlNzI0ZjHwMctGH6INftlA5H3a3pHraHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQwNzMwNDV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking 2.0d X3 with NCT all the way to January 2022, €1950

Respectable looking 4 wheel drive for someone. These are quite nice
    Wife is in the market for a 1.6-2.0 SUV (dislike that term intensely) with a budget of €3k, hadn’t really considered the X3, think they’re a bit chavvy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

AXA insure classic cars from 15 years old... Just saying :)

Only for existing classic customers though I believe.

For new policies the car has to be over 20 doesn't it?

Regardless, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years. A classic is NOT defined by some insurance company’s whim.

Regardless, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years. A classic is NOT defined by some insurance company’s whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

get-along-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

pockets3d wrote: »
    get-along-2.jpg

Hell no.... Wouldn't be boards otherwise....

2 Mickey's be along next to say his car is better then all yours put together....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My car is better than all your cars put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

My car is better than all your cars put together.

Literally couldn't give mine away except to the scrap yard so you got me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Andrew33 wrote: »

Now to be fair Andrew I never mentioned nor have any interest in getting into the definition of a classic debate. I was merely responding to Midnight_EG's post about Axa.

Now to be fair Andrew I never mentioned nor have any interest in getting into the definition of a classic debate. I was merely responding to midnighteg's post about Axa.
    I know.
    The original post was about whether a car was a classic/future classic, it was another contributor who brought the insurance issue to the fore.
    It was never about an insurance policy. Think this needs to be put to bed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tenor.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement