Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf or Prius?

Options
12346»

Comments

SachaJ wrote: »
    This thread is like reading a book only for the last 5 pages to be ripped out :)

What happened in the end? Did you buy the Prius or the Leaf? In the same quandary myself.

What's your budget, which battery leaf, 24, 30, 40, 60 Kwh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

What's your budget, which battery leaf, 24, 30, 40, 60 Kwh ?

Depends on what I can convince the wife to spend (maybe €10k - €15k). Usage similar to OP of this thread. About 5000 - 7000km a year. Mostly to/from work 5km away or to the train station, odd trip into Dublin (50km away), wife use it for days she works etc. Second card as we have the SMax diesel for the family.

This is an option but looking at the service book seems might be due a service (photos blurry). Also due an NCT in Feb 2020 which thought the dealer might have done.

https://www.electricautos.ie/vehicles/nissan/leaf/kildare/2520009

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Dacia have their new electric car out next year. I’d say a 30kw leaf if it’s needed for trips to Dublin, you’ll be able to pick up an older 24kw one for way cheaper though. Depends on roads you’ll be using , speed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭eagerv

Depends on what I can convince the wife to spend (maybe €10k - €15k). Usage similar to OP of this thread. About 5000 - 7000km a year. Mostly to/from work 5km away or to the train station, odd trip into Dublin (50km away), wife use it for days she works etc. Second card as we have the SMax diesel for the family.

This is an option but looking at the service book seems might be due a service (photos blurry). Also due an NCT in Feb 2020 which thought the dealer might have done.

There are some Hyundai Ioniq's coming on stream now at 3 yrs old, some have high mileage and might be got at a fair price.

We got a lower mileage one almost 2 weeks ago and are very happy with it, range appears to be around 210 km for us with normal non motorway driving. (In not great weather).

I believe the doyen of this parish (unkel):) has a low mileage one for sale at the moment at a good price..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

eagerv wrote: »
    There are some Hyundai Ioniq's coming on stream now at 3 yrs old, some have high mileage and might be got at a fair price.

We got a lower mileage one almost 2 weeks ago and are very happy with it, range appears to be around 210 km for us with normal non motorway driving. (In not great weather).

I believe the doyen of this parish (unkel):) has a low mileage one for sale at the moment at a good price..

Great car but out of price range. I'm pushing it at €15k/€16k

• Advertisement

Trip to dub 50 K one way is 100 km return and not a trip I'd take in a 24 Kwh Leaf with a degraded battery. You should be able to do it without charging in a 30 Kw Leaf no problem.

The 30 Kwh Leaf there from electric autos looks a better bet, slightly larger battery and charges a bit faster at the fast chargers, the 24 Kwh leaf is God Awful slow. Phil @electric autos has a great rep here too so you will be fine buying it he will make sure there isn't anything wrong with it.

Leaf is a good car. Boat_Mad here on boards has 190K Kms on his and his range is down to around 80 Kms now.

Regarding the Dacia, that will be an unbelievably slow car and shouldn't be allowed on E.U roads in this day and age when there is no need to conserve fuel by using a painfully under powered engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Leaf is a good car. Boat_Mad here on boards has 190K Kms on his and his range is down to around 80 Kms now.

He said its doing 110km on a charge, not 80!

And we need to hear back from him yet as to how he gets on with the software update so its highly likely he will get more than 110km from it then.

KCross wrote: »
    He said its doing 110km on a charge, not 80!

And we need to hear back from him yet as to how he gets on with the software update so its highly likely he will get more than 110km from it then.

OK thanks for the correction, I wonder at what speeds he's achieving that with a degraded battery bet it's 80-100 Km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

OK thanks for the correction, I wonder at what speeds he's achieving that with a degraded battery bet it's 80-100 Km/hr.

Don't all Leafs drive at those speeds anyway? :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    Don't all Leafs drive at those speeds anyway? :pac:

lol a lot of the time yes, I've even seen them drive at 60 Km/hr on the M7 around Naas but that wouldn't be uncommon for any driver I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've even seen them drive at 60 Km/hr on the M7 around Naas but that wouldn't be uncommon for any driver I suppose.

I've driven in who knows maybe 50-60 different countries and the only country that's not uncommon in, in my experience, is Ireland...

Advertisement