Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf or Prius?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

What do ye think of this one;

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22355237

I see it changed ownership on 18th June last, which seems a bit suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Maybe ask the mods to transfer to electric cars forum. People on that forum will know more.....it looks clean car to me....but then I just jump in and drive

Hi mods, can this be moved to electric vehicles forum.

Hi mods, can this be moved to electric vehicles forum.

Bump

choice is now something like below

1. 2010 Prius with about 100,000 miles. For around 7500
    2. 2014 Gen 1.5 Leaf with about 40,000 miles. For around 10,500 Euro.

so roughly about a 3000 euro difference. which will buy a lot of fuel.
    Obviously Prius is older, but trying to save a bit.

any thoughts?

• Advertisement

choice is now something like below

1. 2010 Prius with about 100,000 miles. For around 7500
    2. 2014 Gen 1.5 Leaf with about 40,000 miles. For around 10,500 Euro.

so roughly about a 3000 euro difference. which will but a lot of fuel.
    Obviously Prius is older, but trying to save a bit.

any thoughts?

3k is not much for a car which is 4 years older and have 60k more miles on the clock. Is that really what a Prius is going for?

I would be expecting a bigger price gap to that.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    3k is not much for a car which is 4 years older and have 60k more miles on the clock. Is that really what a Prius is going for?

I would be expecting a bigger price gap to that.....

Yeah the Prius is roughly around this price. Prices are varied but this is a good estimate.

Yeah the Prius is roughly around this price.

I know you will buy a lot of petrol for 3k but you are buying a car which is 4 years old and a huge amount of mileage.....how long would it take you to get from 40k miles to 100k miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

As someone that was/is in a very similar situation with two cars in the household, mileage numbers etc - get the Leaf. You won't regret it.

Orebro wrote: »
    As someone that was/is in a very similar situation with two cars in the household, mileage numbers etc - get the Leaf. You won't regret it.

thank you for input. what leaf did you get?

• Advertisement

I know you will buy a lot of petrol for 3k but you are buying a car which is 4 years old and a huge amount of mileage.....how long would it take you to get from 40k miles to 100k miles?

true, for me - probably 10 years !

true, for me - probably 10 years !

If that is true then electric make more and more sense as the amount of things that can break is a lot smaller than a combustion engine.....less moving parts less things to break

If that is true then electric make more and more sense as the amount of things that can break is a lot smaller than a combustion engine.....less moving parts less things to break

Yeah. The Prius seems ultra reliable all the same.

I think you want the Prius, go with the Prius.....

Whichever you prefer go with, at end of day you are driving it....

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

The Prius is heading for 10 years old. Which means having to nct it every year. You will start to see insurance cost rising as they load your premium as the car ages. The price of fuel will only increase. With 100k miles on it all it takes is 1 or 2 bits to need to be replaced and all of a sudden there isn’t a 3k difference between the cars

With the leaf you will be saving on fuel costs, cheaper motor tax, probably cheaper insurance costs and definitely cheaper servicing costs. I think you would make back the extra 3k in two years of driving it and you will continue to save money every year you keep it after that. The biggest question with the leaf is what is the charging network in your area like. Are most your journeys within the range of the car? Will you charge at home? I would not buy the leaf if I had to rely on the charging network.

If you're living in Dublin or wherever, but doing a 12-50 KM round trip per day- you'll probably always have life in a Leaf- without the fuel and servicing costs of an ICE or Hybrid ICE.

I'd be getting the Leaf all day- even with 50% charge in years to come, it will sell in the big cities for short trips. With the Prius Hybrid , it comes with all the problems of an ICE

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    The Prius is heading for 10 years old. Which means having to nct it every year. You will start to see insurance cost rising as they load your premium as the car ages. The price of fuel will only increase. With 100k miles on it all it takes is 1 or 2 bits to need to be replaced and all of a sudden there isn’t a 3k difference between the cars

With the leaf you will be saving on fuel costs, cheaper motor tax, probably cheaper insurance costs and definitely cheaper servicing costs. I think you would make back the extra 3k in two years of driving it and you will continue to save money every year you keep it after that. The biggest question with the leaf is what is the charging network in your area like. Are most your journeys within the range of the car? Will you charge at home? I would not buy the leaf if I had to rely on the charging network.

Nobody should buy an electric car at the moment if they have to rely on the network. The network should be used for the odd weekend trip or an emergency. I am about 99.X% home charging and a few times I have used public. If everyone done similar then the network would be fine.

I think you want the Prius, go with the Prius.....

Whichever you prefer go with, at end of day you are driving it....

:)

Na, don’t particularly want the Prius at all, just trying to make the best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

Nobody should buy an electric car at the moment if they have to rely on the network. The network should be used for the odd weekend trip or an emergency. I am about 99.X% home charging and a few times I have used public. If everyone done similar then the network would be fine.

Absolutely agree with this. I laugh when I see some locals using them. Surely they value their time more than the few quid it would cost to charge at home! Buys a 40 grand car to save a couple of euros of electricity how does that make sense!

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with this. I laugh when I see some locals using them. Surely they value their time more than the few quid it would cost to charge at home! Buys a 40 grand car to save a couple of euros of electricity how does that make sense!

Few quid, its about a euro.....

I see pictures online of people sitting for 30-40 mins at a charge point because it is free...what a sad life to lead, i would prefer to be at home killing the kids:P

• Advertisement

Thoughts on this one:

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/21891379

Not really gone on the colour, some form of red. The number plate for some reason looks discoloured. But full battery health. 50,000km

The this one, prefer the colour

Only 30,000 km and a bit newer but one bar gone already.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22355237

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Even with your low mileage, Leaf will save you a lot of money in running costs compared to a Prius. At least a grand per year in fuel alone. Then there is tolls (I don't commute through the M50 toll, but still save about €200 a year with my mainly off peak €0.58 toll charges), maintenance is almost zero and tax is the lowest possible at €120. Public charging is still free (not for much longer) and very quickly many companies are installing chargers for their employees to use for free. You get €600 subsidy for installing a home charger which if you are careful, will be then totally free. And at those prices you quote, I'd say depreciation on the Prius will be higher.

And then there are the non-financial benefits of course. Charge your car at night when a lot of our electricity is from zero emissions wind. Charge your car during the day from your own solar panels (for free) with zero emissions (like I did today)

No brainer really. Get the Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Will be keeping the diesel. That is fine. No issue there.

As a hybrid owner I'd opt for the Prius fairly bullet proof minus the 2010 one ( electric faults being reported - some plastic parts burning- read on a Honda insight forum - subscriber comparing like for like insight v Prius known problems) each to his own ,I drive an insight but would prefer the Prius if I could afford it)

unkel wrote: »
    Even with your low mileage, Leaf will save you a lot of money in running costs compared to a Prius. At least a grand per year in fuel alone. Then there is tolls (I don't commute through the M50 toll, but still save about €200 a year with my mainly off peak €0.58 toll charges), maintenance is almost zero and tax is the lowest possible at €120. Public charging is still free (not for much longer) and very quickly many companies are installing chargers for their employees to use for free. You get €600 subsidy for installing a home charger which if you are careful, will be then totally free. And at those prices you quote, I'd say depreciation on the Prius will be higher.

And then there are the non-financial benefits of course. Charge your car at night when a lot of our electricity is from zero emissions wind. Charge your car during the day from your own solar panels (for free) with zero emissions (like I did today)

all very good points. ill probably save about 500 on fuel id say, only do about 5000 miles a year.

The public charging, any idea as to when they will introduce the paying for it?

all very good points. ill probably save about 500 on fuel id say, only do about 5000 miles a year.

The public charging, any idea as to when they will introduce the paying for it?

Yeah with that low a mileage you'd save about €600 in fuel

Public charging is supposed to come in before the end of the year. Well for fast charging anyway. Slow charging might remain free for a while. Not that it will make much of a difference to you as your 5k miles at 16kWh/100km will cost you just €100 for the year if all your charging is done at home on the night rate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

With the Prius Hybrid , it comes with all the problems of an ICE
    Well compared to the typical equivalent ICE car available in Ireland: It has no clutch, no DPF, no alternator, no starter motor, and no belts. So actually, a lot less problems.
    As a hybrid owner I'd opt for the Prius fairly bullet proof minus the 2010 one ( electric faults being reported - some plastic parts burning- read on a Honda insight forum - subscriber comparing like for like insight v Prius known problems) each to his own ,I drive an insight but would prefer the Prius if I could afford it)

Inverter failures are a known issue with early Gen 3 Prius (2009-2010), but I don't know how common this really is. Unfortunately it is expensive...

I was in a Prius plus taxi this Monday. No idea of its age. Felt very basic / spartan, drive train didn't seem particularly smooth, but by all accounts from the lights on the dash the hybrid system was fully working. It did have 229k miles on the clock though. That's close to 370k km. I'd say it's fair to assume that both Prius and Leaf are amongst the most reliable cars on our roads.

Yeah with that low a mileage you'd save about €600 in fuel

Public charging is supposed to come in before the end of the year. Well for fast charging anyway. Slow charging might remain free for a while. Not that it will make much of a difference to you as your 5k miles at 16kWh/100km will cost you just €100 for the year if all your charging is done at home on the night rate :)

I’ve read posts from 2017 about public charging coming ‘soon’ :)

Feck. 100 Euro. Thought it would be more. Some setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

thank you for input. what leaf did you get?

I got a 132 Leaf, with the newer less degradation prone battery. Best motoring decision I ever made. I came from a 2 litre turbo petrol. As you have another fossil burner in the house for longer journeys you can't lose. You'd be crazy to even get a Prius with the type of mileage you are doing.

BTW, looking at the cars you have posted its funny to see I would get more for my car now that what I purchased it for over 2 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

You get €600 subsidy for installing a home charger which if you are careful, will be then totally free........

If you buy a new leaf they will cover the whole cost of the home charger.

Advertisement