Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf or Prius?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Orebro wrote: »
    I got a 132 Leaf, with the newer less degradation prone battery. Best motoring decision I ever made. I came from a 2 litre turbo petrol. As you have another fossil burner in the house for longer journeys you can't lose. You'd be crazy to even get a Prius with the type of mileage you are doing.

BTW, looking at the cars you have posted its funny to see I would get more for my car now that what I purchased it for over 2 years ago!

Thanks. Is yours 3.3 or 6.6?

Wow, same Leaf 2 years ago was cheaper!! Looks like I picked the wrong bloody time to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Car will be predominantly used by myself, the better half has her own diesel car.

unkel wrote:
    And then there are the non-financial benefits of course. Charge your car at night when a lot of our electricity is from zero emissions wind. Charge your car during the day from your own solar panels (for free) with zero emissions (like I did today)

Ref saving on tolls etc- Watch this space- FG will definitely bring in a tax on the electric or toll free will be abolished

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Ref saving on tolls etc- Watch this space- FG will definitely bring in a tax on the electric or toll free will be abolished

Got any basis for that? All the advice papers I’ve read from the Dept of Finance, climate committee etc recommend increasing incentives for EVs, not the opposite. There’s also an article practically every week about how far behind Ireland is on its climate targets and the part a move to EVs must play in that.

Certainly at some point taxes on EVs will have to rise to offset the lost revenue, but we’re years if not decades from that kind of shift, in the meantime increased taxes on petrol/diesel/hybrids are the recommendation from the Dept of Finance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Based on what?

Where you get this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wow, same Leaf 2 years ago was cheaper!! Looks like I picked the wrong bloody time to buy one.

2 years ago if you told the man in the pub that you had a battery electric car, he would look at you like you had 2 heads

Now he wants one himself :)

Nobody knew this revolution was going to be this quick. In just a few years time only pure EVs are allowed to be sold in many countries. Within almost all of our lifetimes all petrol and diesel cars will be banned from the road (with only vintage cars excepted)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    2 years ago if you told the man in the pub that you had a battery electric car, he would look at you like you had 2 heads

Nobody knew this revolution was going to be this quick. In just a few years time only pure EVs are allowed to be sold in many countries. Within almost all of our lifetimes all petrol and diesel cars will be banned from the road (with only vintage cars excepted)

True. Should have bought last year when it entered my head.

Regarding the grant of 600 Euro.

Can you use it just to buy the home point charger? Or are they looking to see it fully installed?
    (I’m in a rented house so was thinking use 3 pin for now. But buy the charger with the grant now and have it for when I move to proper house)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Thanks. Is yours 3.3 or 6.6?

3.3 - I do all my charging at home overnight, can’t remember the last time I used a FCP but it was last year sometime - being able to own a BEV and avoid public charging is such a pleasure.

Can you use it just to buy the home point charger? Or are they looking to see it fully installed?

No, you need paperwork filled out and signed off by a Safe electric sparks to get the grant. You can buy the charger yourself if you want and fill in the amounts on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ltd440

True. Should have bought last year when it entered my head.

(I’m in a rented house so was thinking use 3 pin for now. But buy the charger with the grant now and have it for when I move to proper house)
    You can buy the car now and use the three pin plug and then when you move home buy the proper charger and apply for the grant then

ltd440 wrote: »
    You can buy the car now and use the three pin plug and then when you move home buy the proper charger and apply for the grant then

Was thinking that too. But does the grant need to be applied for a certain amount of time after buying the car?

I’m also fearing the grant could be done away with too at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ltd440

I don't know if there is a time limit after you buy the car but I doubt it. Anyway you have six months after you get approved to get your charger and apply for payment
    Ps I cannot see the grant being removed if anything more incentives being provided

ltd440 wrote: »
    I don't know if there is a time limit after you buy the car but I doubt it. Anyway you have six months after you get approved to get your charger and apply for payment
    Ps I cannot see the grant being removed if anything more incentives being provided

Thanks. Anyone know if there is a time limit here. E.g. If I were to buy a Leaf now and not move house for another year (potentially) could I just apply for a grant a year after I got the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Thanks. Anyone know if there is a time limit here. E.g. If I were to buy a Leaf now and not move house for another year (potentially) could I just apply for a grant a year after I got the car?

I waited 7 months after buying due to a house move as well and got approval no problem (just waiting on the payout now). I was told it would be necessary to supply the logbook (reflecting the new address) instead of quoting the SEAI grant reference number for buying the car as new due to the address change.

ethernet wrote: »
    I waited 7 months after buying due to a house move as well and got approval no problem (just waiting on the payout now). I was told it would be necessary to supply the logbook (reflecting the new address) instead of quoting the SEAI grant reference number for buying the car as new due to the address change.

Nice one!!

ethernet wrote: »

What did you do for charging for the 7 month period? Granny lead through window and extension lead, was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

What did you do for charging for the 7 month period? Granny lead through window and extension lead, was it?

Had an outdoor socket fitted for my sanity but yup, granny charging.

Just on the charge points, Is there any advantage of tethered over Untethered? Tethered permanently there, presume no chance of robbing the cable as it’s hard wired I presume?

With un tethered, you have to connect the cable at charge point end and car end every time yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

With un tethered, you have to connect the cable at charge point end and car end every time yeah?

No, you can just leave the cable in the charge point, but may want to lock it by some means if it's accessible to the public.

Tethered, with the charging connection very close to the charging point of he car is just so very convenient. Literally takes 5 seconds to plug the car in.

You can do this with a tethered cable, or like myself with a separate cable that you leave plugged in to the charge point permanently. I've secured my cable to several trees with locks

Tethered, with the charging connection very close to the charging point of he car is just so very convenient. Literally takes 5 seconds to plug the car in.

You can do this with a tethered cable, or like myself with a separate cable that you leave plugged in to the charge point permanently. I've secured my cable to several trees with locks

ok, but whats the difference between tethered and untethered

tethered = permanently hard wired to the charge point?

untethered = can be unplugged and unplugged from charge poiint? (for whatever reason)

• Advertisement

yep

yep

Thanks. What’s the advantage of one over the other though. Sounds like with untethered, you can just leave it plugged in all the time and maybe lock it and therefore just like a tethered.

Or am I missing something ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks. What’s the advantage of one over the other though. Sounds like with untethered, you can just leave it plugged in all the time and maybe lock it and therefore just like a tethered.

Or am I missing something ?

No you're not missing anything, if you leave the cable plugged in then for all intents and purposes the untethered is the same as the tethered. Pretty sure this is the exact set up Unkel has.

Slight chance someone might try steal your cable though of course, but very slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Re. the Prius.
    I brought our 2008 from Cork to Dublin and back again yesterday.
    Sat at the speed limit (displayed) all the way up and down.
    Averaged 56.2mpg.

Obviously not as good as free electricity, but diesel-esque economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Soarer wrote: »
    Re. the Prius.
    I brought our 2008 from Cork to Dublin and back again yesterday.
    Sat at the speed limit (displayed) all the way up and down.
    Averaged 56.2mpg.

Obviously not as good as free electricity, but diesel-esque economy.

At 120kmh?

That's pretty good

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No you're not missing anything, if you leave the cable plugged in then for all intents and purposes the untethered is the same as the tethered. Pretty sure this is the exact set up Unkel has.

Slight chance someone might try steal your cable though of course, but very slight.

Is there an advantage to one over the other? I’m failing to see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is there an advantage to one over the other? I’m failing to see any.

If you change car and it has a different port, you only have to change the cable with an untethered.

Soarer wrote: »
    If you change car and it has a different port, you only have to change the cable with an untethered.

Ok. And can the untethered cable be used at a public charge point ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ok. And can the untethered cable be used at a public charge point ?

The untethered cable is the cable you get with the car for use with public charge points. You likely won't get a cable packaged with an untethered unit.

• Advertisement

Yeah you have to buy a separate cable as you presumably need your type 2 cable with you in the car (I carry both type 2 and granny cable in the car at all times)

I needed a 15m cable as my driveway is long and my EV is the last car on the drive

Advertisement