Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf or Prius?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

If you wanted to, could you use the untethered cable for 2 purposes.

1. Connect it to charge point at home and charge car.
    2. Disconnect from charge point at home, throw it in the boot and use at a public charge point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Soarer wrote: »
    Re. the Prius.
    I brought our 2008 from Cork to Dublin and back again yesterday.
    Sat at the speed limit (displayed) all the way up and down.
    Averaged 56.2mpg.

Obviously not as good as free electricity, but diesel-esque economy.

Fill to fill? Or Toyota display? Cruise set at 120?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Soarer

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Fill to fill? Or Toyota display? Cruise set at 120?

Toyota display, cruise set at 120km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Toyota display, cruise set at 120km/h.

Prefer the fill to fill method myself, Toyota display can hopelessly inaccurate. My one in the superb is very close to actual consumption, being slightly pessimistic would you believe.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

My 2 cents. Drive both, then buy the leaf...if you can work charging it from your rental.

Just resign to the fact that while you're renting it'll take ~9 hours to fill from empty. Probably fine if you've a diesel backup. And consider where that charging cable will run. Through a window? Won't that be cold in winter.

• Advertisement

If you wanted to, could you use the untethered cable for 2 purposes.

1. Connect it to charge point at home and charge car.
    2. Disconnect from charge point at home, throw it in the boot and use at a public charge point?

Yes. Unless your driveway is long and you need an extra long cable, you'd be fine with the 5m cable that comes with the car. If you've a long driveway or bit of distance between charger and car (like myself) get untethered and a longer cable (FYI they'd be about 200 euro for an 8 meter cable but you might find a second hand one either). Keep the standard 5m cable in the car then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

If buying a Pruis, buy a lock for the catalytic converter. These are prone to theft in the Prius.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

salonfire wrote: »
    If buying a Pruis, buy a lock for the catalytic converter. These are prone to theft in the Prius.

That problem is only with the 2nd generation Prius (2003-2009), not applicable to the OP.

Surprising that during the whole thread there was no real vote for the Prius.

As a second car, and considering the driving you do, a Leaf makes a lot of sense and will save you loads.

I'd avoid the early Gen 3 Prius (2009-10) due to potential inverter failures.

I have a 2012 Prius Plug-in, but the short range suits my commute and a 24 kWh Leaf (the EV option at the time of buying) did not suit for various reasons.

• Advertisement

As a second car, and considering the driving you do, a Leaf makes a lot of sense and will save you loads.

I'd avoid the early Gen 3 Prius (2009-10) due to potential inverter failures.

I have a 2012 Prius Plug-in, but the short range suits my commute and a 24 kWh Leaf (the EV option at the time of buying) did not suit for various reasons.

A half decent Prius has come up just down the road from me.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22557364

High mileage but 14 services.

What’s this inverter thing? Is it hard to spot?

Edit: Leaf is still probably number 1. But where I live feck all go up for sale. This just took my fancy with it being so near etc so said I’d have a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Seems alot of money for a ten year old car with 225k Kms - or is that what these make?

Orebro wrote: »
    Seems alot of money for a ten year old car with 225k Kms - or is that what these make?

Seems to be alright. Could probably get it for 7 or less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

A half decent Prius has come up just down the road from me.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22557364

High mileage but 14 services.

Edit: Leaf is still probably number 1. But where I live feck all go up for sale. This just took my fancy with it being so near etc so said I’d have a gander.

So high spec these days Is a reverse camera .....haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Mileage is not as relevant to Prius as traditional cars, so at 7k you’d be good TomT

Is this inverter thing common on 09/10 Prius?

Is it an expensive fix?

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Don’t forget the parcel shelf :)

It is if you normally drive a German yoke.

It's what converts the DC power from the traction battery to AC for the motors. It's a fairly big thing next to the engine, with its own separate coolant system. It either works or it doesn't - complete loss of power if it goes. I don't think failure is common at all, but it can happen and it ain't cheap. One example in the UK cost £1,600 to replace.

More common issues are oil consumption (piston rings) and blocked EGR valve/cooler (which can lead to head gasket failure, weirdly).
    For 2010, it is :) It's got a HUD, sat nav (though probably not that useful after 9 years, free updates end after 3 years), Bluetooth stuff, keyless entry, etc. Probably T4 or T-Spirit spec (UK import).

• Advertisement

More common issues are oil consumption (piston rings)

That's interesting .

For the last year or two, our 2008 Prius has been losing oil, but there are no leaks to be seen. Probably the piston rings so.

Yeah, the Gen 2 engines seem more prone to this. As long as you keep on top of it and consumption isn't crazy, it's not worth doing anything about it.

Status of health is 83%.

Is this about normal for a 4 year old electric car? Or is it more degraded due to the relatively high mileage?

Is that solar spoiler just a gimmick? Looks pathetically small to actually mean anything.

Is that solar spoiler just a gimmick? Looks pathetically small to actually mean anything.

Just maintains the 12V.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Just maintains the 12V.

Handy enough feature in an ICE car (in case it is sitting up for weeks on end sometimes), but in an EV this should be handled by the high voltage battery.

Does the Leaf high voltage battery not do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Bigus wrote: »
    Mileage is not as relevant to Prius as traditional cars, so at 7k you’d be good TomT

How so? Does the Prius not have suspension parts etc, and a fossil engine? Unless you buy into the Toyota BS of the engine not being on for over 50% of the time. Still think it's mad money for a car with nearly quarter of a million Kms on it.

unkel wrote: »
    Handy enough feature in an ICE car (in case it is sitting up for weeks on end sometimes), but in an EV this should be handled by the high voltage battery.

Does the Leaf high voltage battery not do that?

Mine didn't seem to. Only seemed to charge it once the car was turned on. Solved my issue(s) by buying a big ass battery!

More modern versions might be ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ioniq checks automatically once a day and then tops up as required. Still doesn't help if you run the aux battery down while playing with the toys while the engine is switched off! My daughter almost managed to drain the aux battery in Ioniq once too and I've also heard same from others.

Terribly cheap that EVs these days still have lead acid aux batteries, should be lithium. And should be checked and topped up by high voltage battery very regularly so it will never be able to be run down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

For your use-case with low commute and a primary ICE car for any longer journey etc., the EV makes most sense.

You will save on fuel, maintenance, tolls etc.

Advertisement