Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf or Prius?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »

Does the Leaf high voltage battery not do that?

It does, but some people get hit by a software issue where it doesn’t and they get a dead 12V.

No one seems to have figured out what triggers it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

A half decent Prius has come up just down the road from me.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22557364

High mileage but 14 services.

What’s this inverter thing? Is it hard to spot?

Edit: Leaf is still probably number 1. But where I live feck all go up for sale. This just took my fancy with it being so near etc so said I’d have a gander.

What do people think is a realistic price to pay for this Prius?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Chippy01

What do people think is a realistic price to pay for this Prius?

Go take a look at it. Take it for a spin.
    With what looks like a full Toyota service history, all the updates/recalls should be done.
    If you like it, offer 7 and see where it leads. Or be real cheeky and offer 6 … :cool:

Not so long ago, we had two 2011 T-Spirits on our drive. I traded one in against one of the new Corolla Hybrids, but herself kept the other and loves it.
    As it happens however, one of herselves colleagues got a 'new' car last week, and it turned out to be the T-Spirit Prius we had traded in.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Neither!!

galwayllm wrote: »
    Neither!!

Why?
    And what would you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's mad money for a nearly 10 year old Prius hybrid. It's not even a plug in. You can get a newer Leaf for similar money. And then the massive money savings start...

That's mad money for a nearly 10 year old Prius hybrid. It's not even a plug in. You can get a newer Leaf for similar money. And then the massive money savings start...

There are others around the same age and mileage that are more expensive!! Car pricing in Ireland is all over the shop!

Is the thinking that this ‘should’ be got for about 6 thousand?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Chippy01

There are others around the same age and mileage that are more expensive!! Car pricing in Ireland is all over the shop!

Is the thinking that this ‘should’ be got for about 6 thousand?

What it 'should' be got for, and what the seller and the buyer eventually settle on for a deal, are two different things entirely.

Even if you could get it at €6k, still very overpriced for what you are getting. Why are you so keen on them?

Chippy01 wrote: »
    What it 'should' be got for, and what the seller and the buyer eventually settle on for a deal, are two different things entirely.

Fair enough. But from an independent non seller / buyer point of view, what is this car realistically worth?

• Advertisement

Even if you could get it at €6k, still very overpriced for what you are getting. Why are you so keen on them?

I dunno. Just bloody can’t make my mind up.

By what’s being said could get a 2010 Prius for maybe 6k.

A decent gen 1.5 leaf with 6.6 will cost me about 11k. That’s 5k more. A lot of fuel and maintenance there.
    Or
    I could get a 2013 leaf for 9k, but then looking at it, I could get a leaf 2 years newer for 2k more. 2 year gain for 2k sounds good.

But then I have to think that the Leaf will be 2014 or 2015, so 4/5 years newer. Will this just be impossible to seek in 5 years time. But then again, so will
    A Prius probably.

If, but, maybe, should, could, would, possibly !! :). I do me own head in!!

You're doing my head in and all :p
    By what’s being said could get a 2010 Prius for maybe 6k.

You could get an early Leaf for similar money. If you don't need much range, the choice really is a no brainer...

You're doing my head in and all :p

You could get an early Leaf for similar money. If you don't need much range, the choice really is a no brainer...

Lol. Doing everybody’s head in :)

Yeah. Was half thinking about these early Leafs But some are nearly down to 7/8 bars etc. And almost everyone Is saying to go for gen 1.5.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Pretty much all the advise has been to go for a leaf, yet you're trying your hardest to justify a Prius.

If you're happy to get a 9 year old Prius, and the math makes it more worthwhile than a 5 year old leaf, go for it. 5k is a lot of fuel and maintenance, and at 10k km a year you'll probably be saving 7-800 a year going electric, by the time that leaf is 9 years old you'd only have saved ~3k. But there's always a cheaper/older car to compare up front costs against.

For the tech and spec of the leaf Vs Prius, and the pointlessness of hybrid (imo) I'd also vote leaf.

Pretty much all the advise has been to go for a leaf, yet you're trying your hardest to justify a Prius.

If you're happy to get a 9 year old Prius, and the math makes it more worthwhile than a 5 year old leaf, go for it. 5k is a lot of fuel and maintenance, and at 10k km a year you'll probably be saving 7-800 a year going electric, by the time that leaf is 9 years old you'd only have saved ~3k. But there's always a cheaper/older car to compare up front costs against.

For the tech and spec of the leaf Vs Prius, and the pointlessness of hybrid (imo) I'd also vote leaf.

Thanks for the input.
    Suppose it boils down to the fact I don’t like spending money.

But as a lad once said, you have to spend money to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Soarer

Will you have a chargepoint in work, and what sort's your commute?

Might be throwing my yoke up for sale soonish.
    She's a pure workhorse.
    2011 Leaf.
    187k kms.
    8 bars battery (~64% SOH via LeafSpy IIRC).
    She's a bit grubby on the inside, but should clean up ok.
    Only issues I've ever had were down to a weak 12V, but that's been solved by buying a high capacity unit.
    Will be looking for below the €6k mark.

Soarer wrote: »
    Will you have a chargepoint in work, and what sort's your commute?

Might be throwing my yoke up for sale soonish.
    She's a pure workhorse.
    2011 Leaf.
    187k kms.
    8 bars battery (~64% SOH via LeafSpy IIRC).
    She's a bit grubby on the inside, but should clean up ok.
    Only issues I've ever had were down to a weak 12V, but that's been solved by buying a high capacity unit.
    Will be looking for below the €6k mark.

Hi. No charge point in work. (Have asked a few times etc) commute is 50km round trip.

Noted.

Suppose it boils down to the fact I don’t like spending money.

Nothing wrong with that.
    But as a lad once said, you have to spend money to save money.

Indeed it sometimes makes sense to spend a bit more. Personally I would get a 2014 Leaf with the newer battery and 11 bars for about €9k instead of a 2011/2012 Leaf with the older battery and 8 bars for about €6k

Nothing wrong with that.

Indeed it sometimes makes sense to spend a bit more. Personally I would get a 2014 Leaf with the newer battery and 11 bars for about €9k instead of a 2011/2012 Leaf with the older battery and 8 bars for about €6k

True. I’d be lucky to get a 2014 for 9k though.

Lowest price 2014 on done deal is 10,450.........all the way up to 13,450

Even higher prices on Carzone for 2014

True. I’d be lucky to get a 2014 for 9k though.

Lowest price 2014 on done deal is 10,450

They do come up from time to time, see the bargains thread. I have posted a few there myself in recent times. That said, older Leafs have been going up in value (negative depreciation :eek:) so a €9k 141 Leaf might no longer be possible...

If you're serious about getting one, check DD daily and make sure you have the money ready to make a very quick deal.

• Advertisement

Low mileage 2012 for €6100 with 80% battery capacity and he'll take an offer. Not bad.

Linky

2011 from the UK asking GBP4,999

Linky

2014 from the UK GBP7,490, low miles and comes with free charger (you can still claim up to €600 for the install)

Linky

2014 from the UK GBP7,490, low miles and comes with free charger (you can still claim up to €600 for the install)

Linky

Yeah. Thanks. Don’t have the time or patience to do the uk thing though.

Yeah. Thanks. Don’t have the time or patience to do the uk thing though.

If you don't like spending the money, then you sometimes have to work a little harder to spend less ;)

If you don't like spending the money, then you sometimes have to work a little harder to spend less ;)

There is this too!!

I dunno, the gen 1 Leaf just seem a bit too old with battery, older technology etc

Think I’d be as well off going for a gen 1.5.

If you get a Leaf from the UK, is the speedometer in miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If you get a Leaf from the UK, is the speedometer in miles?

Yes, easily changed via the menus as it’s a digital speedo.

KCross wrote: »
    Yes, easily changed via the menus as it’s a digital speedo.

Ah ok. Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

This thread is like reading a book only for the last 5 pages to be ripped out :)

What happened in the end? Did you buy the Prius or the Leaf? In the same quandary myself.

Advertisement