Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3,140 rooms to rent & 8,500 houses to rent -what 'homeless' crisis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You step away for 2 minutes and the thread transcends into a mess. Some very emotional people on here.

I get that rent is high, it's far too high. That's the price you pay for protecting the skyline. 5 and 6 story apartment blocks with self contained 1 and 2 bed units is the answer to this problem, along with investment in public transport infrastructure. That's it. The market is always going to dictate the price for lets.
    Boggles wrote: »
    You completely missed point.

But i'll put it to you this way, if everyone who does a job for 24k or less in Dublin moves out.

Who then does those jobs?

Why do they need to live in Dublin? Or why do they need to live alone? 24K was the salary of my first job, I commuted from Carlow, and that was before the motorway was completed. There's plenty of options OUTSIDE of Dublin but people do not want to acknowledge that, which is a massive part of the problem. It drives rent prices through the roof. People are obsessed with living within walking distance of everything.
    Could you point out where I thought that?

You implied it with these posts;
    But i'll put it to you this way, if everyone who does a job for 24k or less in Dublin moves out.
    How many can afford to live in the centre of Dublin?
    Myself and partner work full time and whatever overtime available and cannot afford to rent together and cover bills/food/health insurance and save for a permanent home (which is required due to the ****eness of landlords here who **** you out on premise of selling the house or letting to a family member then re-list house for rent at 50% rent increase or let it on Airbnb, which has happened us twice)

Did you raise a case with the PTRB? If you were in a part 4 tenancy, you had rights and it's up to you to know these. I have yet to know one person this happened to. It's certainly not unheard of but for it to happen to you twice? Forgive me if I am a little skeptical. What's stopping you from renting in an affordable area and commuting?

Your condescending attitude is half the problem with this country. I also work with vulnerable people and I tell you, if you had to experience a day being thrown out of a manky hostel in the morning, walk the streets all day sun/rain/shine and then desperately ring the homeless free phone each evening in order to just have a roof over your head ("sorry full, do you want a sleeping bag?" is common response) you wouldn't be so sneering.

You do not have to agree with my solutions, but that does not mean that I have a "condescending attitude". I do not have a "condescending attitude" when it comes to homelessness, but as I said before, the word has little or no meaning anymore. The numbers are vastly inflated by those on the housing list who are looking for their forever free home.

How did those people, living in hostels, get into those situations? Some people are truly homeless are there through no fault of their own, but more are in their situation due to some seriously poor decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,585 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You implied it with these posts;

So we have gone from I thought it to I implied it.

Again though I didn't.

It's okay to say you got it wrong, it can be endearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,585 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But we have been getting away from it and we've record breaking fallout year on year because we've chosen the private market's needs over the tax payer's.

We need affordable houses and we need the private market to build them. The Job will basically go out for tender.

We need to up the supply without what has been happening ballooning the prices, this should in theory have an overall effect on all house prices, but it will take some time.

Just building social houses won't stop spiraling prices, it never has in the past 4 decades. We can't afford it anyway, especially now considering we have Lord Bozo threatening to drive the happy bus off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

dudara wrote: »
    DT - I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt there.

But a warning to all posters, making jokes/gags about eliminating all “scum” or “scrotes” or “bottom feeders” etc is not acceptable.

dudara

Yes. Not commenting on your moderator comment but clarifying my own comment. It was not actually a suggestion to kill the poor but a sarcastic quip on those that express views that head in that direction. As such it is actually a commentary on people that use terms such as those you mentioned. It is a relatively well known expression that I thought would be universally understood not to be taken literally. I will not post the videos inline in the thread but for the benefit of those who did not get the references some example links of it's usage in popular culture are below.

Song by the Dead Kennedys
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I

Sketch by Mitchell and Webb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

killanena wrote: »
    I live in Clare and went to an apartment viewing yesterday that was only posted on daft 1 day prior. 2 bed room, nothing fancy at all. 27 young couples like ourselves attended.. Unless you know the right people it is very hard to find accommodation in all urban areas outside of Dublin too at the moment. Yes it would be easier to find shared accommodation but we have a child so that's not going to work.

Was that Ennis or where out of interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You would think that Ireland has the worst homelessness and rent crisis in the world if you listen to the raise the roof crowd.

Capital cities have these crisis everywhere. I'm sure people in San Francisco must have shocked looks if you tell them the government here puts the homeless up in hotels.

And to think only av few years ago we had a glut of ghost estates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You would think that Ireland has the worst homelessness and rent crisis in the world if you listen to the raise the roof crowd.

What happens in the rest of the world is of little interest to someone in Ireland who is homeless or can't find somewhere affordable to live. These posts that say yeah but it's worse elsewhere really amuse me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What happens in the rest of the world is of little interest to someone in Ireland who is homeless or can't find somewhere affordable to live. These posts that say yeah but it's worse elsewhere really amuse me.

TBF Leo used it himself, monkey see monkey do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Capital cities have these crisis everywhere. I'm sure people in San Francisco must have shocked looks if you tell them the government here puts the homeless up in hotels.

+1.

Theres people on 70k a year in san fran working for tech companies living in converted vans in carparks and we've multiple bodies calling the government a shambles because lifelong welfare claimants are holed up in hotels at our expense holding out for a new semi-d in our capitol city suburbs.

Indeed, we should stop it ASAP. Its a ridiculous waste.
    +1.

Theres people on 70k a year in san fran working for tech companies living in converted vans in carparks and we've multiple bodies calling the government a shambles because lifelong welfare claimants are holed up in hotels at our expense holding out for a new semi-d in our capitol city suburbs.

And people have it as bad or worse elsewhere. Problem solved so.

• Advertisement

Indeed, we should stop it ASAP. Its a ridiculous waste.

And people have it as bad or worse elsewhere. Problem solved so.

youve completely taken the wrong thing from my post.

This housing shortage impacts almost every country that was impacted by the recession a decade ago, Protesting against the FG government isn't solving it, no government is solving it at the speed with which these people demand. Its not specifically leo's fault or FG policy etc....

there are only 200 people sleeping rough in dublin , the provisions we are making for the people in need of houses are above and beyond what almost any other country is doing.

The same groups protesting about the lack of rental accomodation are the same ones demonising small landlords out of the market and advocating for taxation measures and anti eviction measures that ensure no new landlords want to enter the market.

we're trying to solve a very modern problem with modern demand levels but determined to do it while we have planning rules in place that preserve every element of our past.

We need to triage the solution to this issue , priorities should be
    1) build affordable housing for mortgage purchase by working and middle class families in dublin/cork/limerick/galway
    2) build social housing in completely seperate areas of dublin/cork/limerick/galway exclusively for those who do work and have a long term history of employment but fall below income thresholds
    3) A new low tax investment vehicle for investment in building 2-3 bed apartments for rental to professionals / students in dublin/cork/limerick/galway
    5) build social housing for the unemployed in rural developments and disperse them into the wider area with a moratorium on anyone unemployed >10 years receiving social housing in the greater dublin area.

We need to make our cities work for those who work in our cities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

Why is it always proposed as a solution that the unemployed should be shipped off to new developments in rural areas?

In case you didn't know already we are in the middle of a climate crisis all you should be focusing on developing high-density housing with environmentally friendly travel options such as public transport and walking and cycling facilities.

Believe it, or not the vast majority of people in this country wish to work very few of those on long term unemployment benefits choose that as a lifestyle there are many who for example may qualify for disability allowance and are not receiving it either because they simply applied or fall just below the requirements.

For those people, we should be doing everything possible to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

We're in full employment - the ones on the dole are a lost cause and are beyond help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Believe it, or not the vast majority of people in this country wish to work very few of those on long term unemployment benefits choose that as a lifestyle there are many who for example may qualify for disability allowance and are not receiving it either because they simply applied or fall just below the requirements.

There are huge areas of the city centre where few of the households have gainful employment. Nor do they ever intend having gainful employment. Dispersing them and breaking up their 'communities' would benefit everybody. Including them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

July 2019 & today there are 3,140 house share rooms and over 8,500 houses to rent on daft.ie
    Isn't it about time journalists started quoting these figures when reporting 'homeless' figures.

I cant afford any of them. I'm not the only one in that position I expect.

Why is it always proposed as a solution that the unemployed should be shipped off to new developments in rural areas?

In case you didn't know already we are in the middle of a climate crisis all you should be focusing on developing high-density housing with environmentally friendly travel options such as public transport and walking and cycling facilities.

building in cities is more expensive, allowing somebody who does work in the city and currently commutes to the city every day to have priority over somebody who has never worked who has no reason to be in the city every day is more environmentally friendly. There are some people who will never work, they should also never live in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Why do they need to live in Dublin? Or why do they need to live alone? 24K was the salary of my first job, I commuted from Carlow, and that was before the motorway was completed. There's plenty of options OUTSIDE of Dublin but people do not

Well if you don't drive you have to live in Dublin. Companies located in Dublin city centre need people on or below 24k to be living somewhere in Dublin, people aren't going to do massive commutes for 20k a year.

vriesmays wrote: »
    We're in full employment - the ones on the dole are a lost cause and are beyond help.

And for those who may a have a learning disability but for some reason were never properly diagnosed or put on to the appropriate payment?

I suppose they can either go to hell or to Connaught?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

rireland wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/sligo/houses-for-rent/ballinode/no-1-brookfield-ballinode-sligo-1944589/

Nice 3 bed in Sligo for 280 a month.

You could afford this on the dole.

I know if I was facing homelessness I wouldn't care if I had to move across the country. I'd rather move 2 hours away than be homeless.

That ad is misleading, I think it should say 280 a week. I am a landlord in Sligo, there is a big shortage of rental here and you will have your pick of tennants for anyone you .advertise.

I have a friend who was hurt in a house fire and is on disability he had to move about 20 miles out to get a place, he relies on his landlord to bring him 5 mile to the main road to get the bus for his once weekly shop and he counts himself lucky he has somewhere to live where he was before it's beyond hellish. Also to believe that you could get a 3 bed anywhere in Ireland for that money means you are talking thorough your proverbial, no harm to you and you may not realize it but the one who stands out from comments on this as having a sense of entitlement it's yourself.

Just spotted that place is 1400 a month let by the room.

And for those who may a have a learning disability but for some reason were never properly diagnosed or put on to the appropriate payment?

I suppose they can either go to hell or to Connaught?

and if they cant work because of that learning disability then why do they need to be in dublin...

• Advertisement

youve completely taken the wrong thing from my post.

This housing shortage impacts almost every country that was impacted by the recession a decade ago, Protesting against the FG government isn't solving it, no government is solving it at the speed with which these people demand. Its not specifically leo's fault or FG policy etc....

there are only 200 people sleeping rough in dublin , the provisions we are making for the people in need of houses are above and beyond what almost any other country is doing.

The same groups protesting about the lack of rental accomodation are the same ones demonising small landlords out of the market and advocating for taxation measures and anti eviction measures that ensure no new landlords want to enter the market.

we're trying to solve a very modern problem with modern demand levels but determined to do it while we have planning rules in place that preserve every element of our past.

We need to triage the solution to this issue , priorities should be
    1) build affordable housing for mortgage purchase by working and middle class families in dublin/cork/limerick/galway
    2) build social housing in completely seperate areas of dublin/cork/limerick/galway exclusively for those who do work and have a long term history of employment but fall below income thresholds
    3) A new low tax investment vehicle for investment in building 2-3 bed apartments for rental to professionals / students in dublin/cork/limerick/galway
    5) build social housing for the unemployed in rural developments and disperse them into the wider area with a moratorium on anyone unemployed >10 years receiving social housing in the greater dublin area.

We need to make our cities work for those who work in our cities.

I heard the same argument about Enda, 'these things take time', 'no quick fix' etc. We are how many years into this now? Do you think current policies and the ones Leo carried on from Enda are working?
    Hotels and the like are the triage solution or were supposed to be. Now they are part of the system coupled with buying houses to rent as social. That's the real homeless industry. These people are making a complete fortune and the tax payer is picking up any slack with hotel bills.
    I agree with many elements of your points above but who do we look to to address this?
    We have seen Councils and government partner together to sell off public land and move communities out of the city to Tallaght and beyond all to make money off public land. These people can be seen crammed into the Luas any given morning to get to work.
    Crying about poor people being poor or pretending to be is a distraction IMO.

and if they cant work because of that learning disability then why do they need to be in dublin...

Just the small things such as.

• Easy access to public transport
    • Access to appropriate supportive services.
    • And suitable employment opportunities. If able

But of course rabid right wingers like you don't believe that anyone who is unfortunate enough to have a disability or find themselves locked out of the job market for whatever reason deserve any support and should be ferried off at the next opportunity to ghettos out of your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ELM327 wrote:
    It's not a homeless crisis or a housing crisis, it's an "I want a free/heavily taxpayer subsidized house next to mummy" crisis.

If we have no housing crisis why are rents at an all time high? Why do landlords have to look through over 100 applications for the room to rent they advertise? Why do people go to viewings with cash deposits in a desperate attempt to get somewhere to live?

Just the small things such as.

• Easy access to public transport
    • Access to appropriate supportive services.
    • And suitable employment opportunities. If able

But of course rabid right wingers like you don't believe that anyone who is unfortunate enough to have a disability or find themselves locked out of the job market for whatever reason deserve any support and should be ferried off at the next opportunity to ghettos out of your site.

so we can't put unemployed people in rural ireland because they need public transport and opportunities incase they work, and that is justification to keep people who already work out in rural ireland commuting every day.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If we have no housing crisis why are rents at an all time high? Why do landlords have to look through over 100 applications for the room to rent they advertise? Why do people go to viewings with cash deposits in a desperate attempt to get somewhere to live?

because rents are just about covering mortgage payments and many small landlords were in arrears for years, if they pick the wrong tenant they may have to have a 9-12 month battle to evict them, falling behind on the mortgage again, people go with cash deposits because landlords keep getting continuously shafted by revenue that having a little cash and not telling the tax man feels like christmas.

think about it, if there was any other business with 70 waiting customers cash in hand out the door and it was profitable, somebody would open up the same thing next door. But its not, landlords are making miserable returns on rentals right now unless they have 10+ properties to shore up the eventual income gap.

There's no reason why we can't house the unemployed and those in employment in the same city. Believe it or not, it is cheaper to run a public transport service in a densely populated urban area than in a sparsely populated rural location: more customers= more money for the transport company and less of a state subsidy needed.

I cant afford any of them. I'm not the only one in that position I expect.

This information doesn't suit the Blueshirt supporters that post here unfortunately. Apparently you should pick up & move to another part of the country that you can afford. I'm not sure what they expect you to do about your job, family, kids schools etc.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This information doesn't suit the Blueshirt supporters that post here unfortunately. Apparently you should pick up & move to another part of the country that you can afford. I'm not sure what they expect you to do about your job, family, kids schools etc.

Exactly Oliver Cromwell would be proud. After all, it is he who said “To Hell or to Connaught!” As his army pushed out the native Irish from the good land. I'm sure he would be proud of the attitude of some of the blue shirts on here.

because rents are just about covering mortgage payments and many small landlords were in arrears for years, if they pick the wrong tenant they may have to have a 9-12 month battle to evict them, falling behind on the mortgage again, people go with cash deposits because landlords keep getting continuously shafted by revenue that having a little cash and not telling the tax man feels like christmas.

think about it, if there was any other business with 70 waiting customers cash in hand out the door and it was profitable, somebody would open up the same thing next door. But its not, landlords are making miserable returns on rentals right now unless they have 10+ properties to shore up the eventual income gap.

You totally missed my point. I don't have a problem with landlords making a profit. I'm not having a pop at landlords. I'm a landlord myself. I'd rather not have rent pressure zones.

My point is that the reason we have 100s applying for the same property at high rent is purely because we have a housing crisis. In other words this is proof that there is a housing crisis /shortage. If there was no shortage of housing rents would be lower & tenants wouldn't have to to handstands in an attempt to be able to find somewhere to rent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Suggesting that people should live where they can afford is hardly fascism! That is what most people do surely? I know when I was buying a house I looked for the nicest area within my price range. Do most people not do that when buying?

For my starter home I lived in a God awful Midlands town for a few years as that is what I could afford at the time.

There is a marked difference between this 'crisis' and the previous boom in that people are no longer willing to travel long distances in order to own a home.

Advertisement