Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeffrey Epstein arrested on sex trafficking charges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Treppen

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Even if I was innocent in his position I would be publicly offering " my assistance " and then saying nothing.

Why would he do otherwise?

The US AG is desperately running around now looking for a big name scapegoat. With Epstein out of the picture the case has basically collapsed.

There really is nothing to see here anymore, unless you invest your time reading all the " true story" autobiographies that the girls will be writing. With great difficulty I might add, without convictions they will struggle to get stories published. Any proven slander would cost a publisher millions, it is all very difficult to prove now.

The end game is a PR exercise for both sides. No Epstein no case.

Gislane Maxwell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Treppen wrote: »
    Gislane Maxwell?

Possibly in a country with no extradition treaty with the US?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Treppen wrote: »
    Gislane Maxwell?
    tuxy wrote: »
    Possibly in a country with no extradition treaty with the US?

She has nothing to answer in fairness, apart from unproven accusations. She is not a US citizen either. Very difficult to prosecute. I doubt the AG is arsed at the moment.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Probably not arsed but will rattle around making a bit of noise so they can say they tried then it will all quietly go away.

This is exactly it. The story is over now really.

There will be political posturing from the US department of Justice, but there really is no one to prosecute anymore.

If anyone thought they were going to prosecute the British Royal Family they are living in cloud cuckoo land. Justice does not work that way. If anything his public humiliation had been punishment enough, he was never doing time.

How can a US AG prosecute someone for having sex with someone in another country? Answer me that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Seems as of today, Andy actually does really, really want to talk. Will talk. Is 'bewildered' by claims, that he won't have a chat.
    Just hasn't been asked, or 'hasn't been approached'.
    Seems now is very keen to spill the beans and reveal all.

Anyone else sense another PR-whoopsie on the way?

cIj526h.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

There will be political posturing from the US department of Justice, but there really is no one to prosecute anymore.

If anyone thought they were going to prosecute the British Royal Family they are living in cloud cuckoo land. Justice does not work that way. If anything his public humiliation had been punishment enough, he was never doing time.

How can a US AG prosecute someone for having sex with someone in another country? Answer me that?

Well that's the convenient narrative for a lot of wealthy and powerful people.

BTW, human trafficking is illegal and a crime, if girls were trafficked for exploitation then there's a charge to be levied against anybody that stepped on Paedo Air.

Also, serveral countries including the UK I think (will have to check) allow for the prosecution of citizens engaged in sexual abuse while abroad, look at Ian Bailey, if you legislate for it, you can absolutely charge an individual with a crime outside of your jurisdiction.

Good luck getting a Royal on that charge however.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

With truly nothing to hide he'd have been over to US first time of asking, the guy is a child abuser full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The UK have it in place its how they charged one of their biggest paedos. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/4541102/richard-huckle-gap-year-paedophile-stabbed-dead-prison/amp/ so it is actually possible.

• Advertisement

The UK have it in place its how they charged one of their biggest paedos. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/4541102/richard-huckle-gap-year-paedophile-stabbed-dead-prison/amp/ so it is actually possible.

They can't charge him for being a paedophile because the age of consent in the UK is 16 years old. Virginia Roberts Giuffre was 17 years old at the time she alleges sleeping with Prince Andrew. There is no crime there.

Technically, she could be charged with involvement in an underage prostitution racket. It is illegal to work as a prostitute in the UK under the age of 18. She will have to incriminate herself if she wishes to go legal in the UK at this stage. That appears unlikely, although it is the only way she could get a book published, so it could be more profitable to admit to an underage prostitution charge and then write her book. Only plausible if the UK " crown prosecution" decide to proceed with prosecuting someone which would implicate the Queen's favourite son.

How do you see that panning out?

The law is a mire sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Twitter explosion which got me curious Anonymous have either gone mad or have something explosive
    also found this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71057148 when I put Epstein's
    name into the search box, which gained no traction at all. Interesting to see how that happen sometimes.

https://twitter.com/YourAnonCentral/status/1266997070042238977

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Twitter explosion which got me curious Anonymous have either gone mad or have something explosive
    also found this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71057148 when I out Epstein's
    name into the search box, which gained no traction at all. Interesting to see how that happen sometimes.

https://twitter.com/YourAnonCentral/status/1266997070042238977

Wait I thought Child trafficking and rape was a conspiracy theory? Pizza gate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Wait I thought Child trafficking and rape was a conspiracy theory? Pizza gate?

I know, strange isn't it. It's against Trump so must be true but if it's against Clintons or anyone else it's a white supremacist alt right conspiracy theory.
    The world has gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Sureitlbegrand

Anyone watch the Netflix documentary? If so what did you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Watched it and I think there is more than meets the eye with Trump.

Also Bill Clinton flat out lying about being on the Island when flight manifests showed he made the trip at least 17 times. Clearly hiding something.

Prince Andrew up to his neck in it as we all know.

Ultimately I think Epstein was quietened in the end. A court refusing €500 million dollars of bail is fairly insane for America.

Acosta brought onto the Trump Administration, another dodgy **** who was up to something having let Epstein off easily with a plea deal in the face of overwhelming evidence previously.

It goes to the top.

A whitewash...
    Zero attempts to "follow the money", despite the second episode having that title.

The insinuation was that he was just wexler's lover and used his money. And that's it really?

It should really ask how he got started from teaching unqualified the bare Stearns billionaire daughter to jumping across into finance.

Also His connections to another 'someone who was nobody' never really were explored https://vocal.media/theSwamp/the-epstein-associate-nobody-s-talking-about-the-idf-linked-bond-girl-infiltrating-the-uk-nhs
    This brings in state involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

I did, and to be honest, I… expected more. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for his victims being given time and space to speak about what he put them through. So I was glad the women spoken to were given time to say what they wanted to say. But I expected more, because I didn’t really think there was much to it? I didn't think Netflix really told us much we hadn't heard already. I knew almost all of what it covered already, just from reading a few in-depth articles on his story over the years, and I haven’t even followed the case super closely or read that many articles. I feel like a documentary that had 4 episodes should have made me think something more than "you're telling us what we've already been told". I do appreciate that they gave space to his victims to speak. And I found the interviews with the police chief who had tried to take him down years ago, and the private investigator and the lawyer Brad Edwards interesting. But I think there should have been more to it. It felt to me like they should have done a better job. I don’t think I really HAD expectations about what would be in it, but I know I expected more from Netflix than 4 episodes that didn’t really tell us anything new, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I watched it.

I found most of the "victims" were honest with what they said. Didn't find Virginia Roberts coming across as honest. She came across as someone who wanted to "punish" anyone and everyone and not take any responsibility herself. Definitely searching for a big payday.

I thought the calling of people as "survivors" very much tabloidesque.

Definitely a weirdo and sex fiend and guilty of everything laid against him, but is pedophile the right accusation?
    That would suggest he meddled with young kids under 13.

There's another name for those who target teens which would be more legally correct.

I don't buy into any conspiracy about his death. His whole life was about teen girls and that was over, so what was the point in staying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

whether you consider sex with a 13 year as paedophilia or not it is beyond the pale. witness statement of somebody who accused both epstein and trump of raping her.

https://twitter.com/Martina/status/1267143029640646663

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Sureitlbegrand

Wouldn't really disagree with any of your summaries. I was very disappointed felt like very little info was gained felt like an episode of The Oprah show. Would love to watch some better ones that perhaps focused on his elite friends and what dirt he has on them. Any good ones on Youtube?

GHISLAINE MAXWELL !!!!! She was the organiser and also sexually assaulted many of the girls herself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Was a bit of an uncomfortable watch, it is a grotesque case...like many Netflix true crime documentaries am unsure whether I should be giving it "views" but it wasn't sensationalised in the way some of these are. I wasn't expecting to hear anything new as regards any others that might have been involved.

The wealthy and powerful people Epstein seems to have hob-nobbed with have the clout to put a dent in even a behemoth corporation such as Netflix if any dubious new claims not 100 % backed up by evidence or the findings of a court were made.

whether you consider sex with a 13 year as paedophilia or not it is beyond the pale. witness statement of somebody who accused both epstein and trump of raping her.

https://twitter.com/Martina/status/1267143029640646663

Six Women have accused Bill Clinton of raping them, do you believe them?

Do you believe the Woman who accused Joe Biden?

Six Women have accused Bill Clinton of raping them, do you believe them?

Do you believe the Woman who accused Joe Biden?

whatabout, whatabout

whatabout, whatabout

I'll take that as a "I believe the accusations about the political figures I hate"

And " I believe in baseless conspiracy theories as long as they involve political figures I hate"

So you're a pizzagater now...quite the turnaround eh?

Darc19 wrote: »
    I watched it.

I found most of the "victims" were honest with what they said. Didn't find Virginia Roberts coming across as honest. She came across as someone who wanted to "punish" anyone and everyone and not take any responsibility herself. Definitely searching for a big payday.

Definitely a weirdo and sex fiend and guilty of everything laid against him, but is pedophile the right accusation?

There's another name for those who target teens which would be more legally correct.

I don't buy into any conspiracy about his death. His whole life was about teen girls and that was over, so what was the point in staying around.

Where did he get his money?

I'll take that as a "I believe the accusations about the political figures I hate"

And " I believe in baseless conspiracy theories as long as they involve political figures I hate"

Strawman

baseless? hmm the lawsuits filed against trump that he settled out of court must be imaginary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Darc19 wrote: »
    I watched it.

Not all of the featured women were minors when they first met Epstein. The tall red haired lady was twenty one years of age so not exactly a naive teenager, vulnerable or from a dysfunctional background. I presume she was not kept chained in a cellar so could have upped and left of her own free will - if she had chosen to.

Advertisement