Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marches this Saturday

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

She didn’t want to have a child with anyone, but fine to sleep with guys and not have any kind of contraception. It’s just a lack of responsibility and morals. Nothing to do with choice.

No reason why you couldn’t wear a condom.

Genuinely sorry that you went though that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭FeirmeoirtTed

everything to do with choice. she wanted to sleep with people without protection. As did you btw. Presumably she knew what the consequences of that might be. When she did get pregnant she chose to have an abortion.

And you agree that thats a good reason to have an abortion - as a belated form of birth control?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

And you agree that thats a good reason to have an abortion - as a belated form of birth control?

Essentially that's what it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

The issue is that it’s a woman and woman’s only right to choose an ex girlfriend of mine had an abortion which i was completely against but all I got from people was “well that’s her decision sure what can you do” so essentially my child was murdered and I Hadn’t an ounce of a say in it. It was absolutely heartbreaking and certainly ruined any chance of the relationship continuing.

There’s some nuance for you which I’m sure you’ll fob of for some reason or another. Abortion is not a black and white issue and anyone who paints it is a moron or has some kind of political motive for doing so.

I'm very much in the pro choice camp, I believe it is the woman who will be carrying the baby for 9 months and if she doesn't want that the choice is hers. If it's a case where one party in a relationship absolutely does not want kids then as a couple you should talk about it and figure out the most reliable birth control, if you decide to stay together.

That said I am very sorry for your loss and that it happened the way it did.

everything to do with choice. she wanted to sleep with people without protection. As did you btw. Presumably she knew what the consequences of that might be. When she did get pregnant she chose to have an abortion.

What's your opinion on late term abortion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

its a terrible form of birth control. But if it her choice then so be it.

What's your opinion on late term abortion?

Unless it is for medical reasons i am opposed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So it’s only a woman’s right to choose up to a certain point then?
    I don’t understand that.
    If it’s “her body her choice” at 12 weeks, and it’s a fetus with no rights until it’s been delivered, (this is what the Irish constitution says now) then why is it not “her body her choice” at 40 weeks or any week for that matter?!?

splinter65 wrote: »
    I don’t understand that.
    If it’s “her body her choice” at 12 weeks, and it’s a fetus with no rights until it’s been delivered, (this is what the Irish constitution says now) then why is it not “her body her choice” at 40 weeks or any week for that matter?!?

we have had many threads on abortion and this has been explained many many times. I have no intention of rehashing that conversation with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

we have had many threads on abortion and this has been explained many many times. I have no intention of rehashing that conversation with you.

No it’s never been explained. How can it be explained?
    “My body, my choice”. Correct me if I’m wrong but the only difference between being 12 weeks pregnant and 40 weeks pregnant is that the “fetus” “clump of cells” is a bigger fetus and a bigger clump of cells.
    It’s still in the woman’s body, and NOW you’ve cheered loudly that it has absolutely no rights whatsoever, then what possible objection could you have to a woman choosing not to be forced to give birth at 40 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

splinter65 wrote: »
    I don’t understand that.

I read a story recently where a woman in the US had a late term abortion. The baby had a rare disease which meant when she was born, she wouldn't be able to walk talk or swallow and couldn't even sleep comfortably. They discovered the severity of the condition at 35 weeks. They already had a child and had numerous miscarriages. This was a much wanted baby, but the parents took the decision in the best interests of their baby. The State they were in allowed abortion up to 12 weeks I think, so she had to go to a private clinic in another state and pay $20,000. I thought it was an interesting read.

I don't like the thought of late term abortions because the fetus is fully formed at that stage. But I'd like to know more about the reasoning behind those who have had them in case there is a side to it that I cannot see.

I'm sure anyone who has endured pregnancy no longer wants to be pregnant at 40 weeks :D. But that's not the same as not wanting to be pregnant at 12 weeks.

So when I said that abortion is a nuanced topic, how was I wrong?

Inconsistent logic.

Advertisement