Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marches this Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved from AH > CA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

a significant disparity in the attendance numbers of these two marches!

Well that was to be expected really. Its not a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

eviltwin wrote: »
    Well that was to be expected really. Its not a competition.

not a close competition anyway

not a close competition anyway

Not a competition at all. Both issues are like chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I’m not exactly imagining a drag queen in a punch up with some aul lad from the country more-so that the pro life movement would be supported by the far right and they probably would have a presence there and the far left would be an advocate for trans pride so would likely have a presence at the earlier meeting.

The far right broke the Kingpin in their car, so he can't be there.

• Advertisement

given all the pride hype and media coverage and the big pride parade last week you'd expect a bigger turn out at the pride event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

given all the pride hype and media coverage and the big pride parade last week you'd expect a bigger turn out at the pride event.

Which one? There was about 1.5m at the Pride event in London. Don't recall any hype about today's marches in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't think they will get popular support until a definitive line in the Sand is drawn on the physician led transition versus self declaration.

Allot of folk including myself are uncomfortable not having the right checks and balances in place.

klaaaz wrote: »
    Which one? There was about 1.5m at the Pride event in London. Don't recall any hype about today's marches in Dublin.
    i meant trans event

i meant trans event

Where was all the "hype and media coverage" as you mentioned?

Pics of the religious symbols including the Vatican flag from the anti-abortion march today

https://www.thejournal.ie/pro-life-campaign-2019-4705381-Jul2019/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Marches should only be allowed in the City Centre on sunday mornings between 10 and 12.

The whole of the North Quays was gridlocked this afternoon, and I was not one bit happy about that. Now maybe it was something else but nothing came up on traffic feeds about collisions so it must have been the later march crossing OC Bridge and fecking the East Bound traffic down to Custom House for best part of an hour, if not more.

Anyway. I don't know how the traders in CC cope. It's bad enough for them as it is.

I was on the bus BTW, thinking I was doing my bit for the traffic/environment. Nothing moving.

Marches should only be allowed in the City Centre on sunday mornings between 10 and 12.

The whole of the North Quays was gridlocked this afternoon, and I was not one bit happy about that. Now maybe it was something else but nothing came up on traffic feeds about collisions so it must have been the later march crossing OC Bridge and fecking the East Bound traffic down to Custom House for best part of an hour, if not more.

Anyway. I don't know how the traders in CC cope. It's bad enough for them as it is.

I was on the bus BTW, thinking I was doing my bit for the traffic/environment. Nothing moving.

Usually marches end around Merrion Square. The Rally for Life had speeches on the quays, seems like a stupid decision given the traffic in that area.

Where was all the "hype and media coverage" as you mentioned?

Pics of the religious symbols including the Vatican flag from the anti-abortion march today

https://www.thejournal.ie/pro-life-campaign-2019-4705381-Jul2019/

pride has had a lot of hype and coverage. im saying im surprised that another LGBT march in the same week didnt have a higher attendance thats all.

pride has had a lot of hype and coverage. im saying im surprised that another LGBT march in the same week didnt have a higher attendance thats all.

It's a niche event. Not all LGB+ people or their supporters would necessarily endorse trans rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

The whole pride thing already has more splinter groups than dissident republicans.

LGBT, LGBT+, LGBT trans, the rival LGBT parade last week thats anti main LGBT parade.... next week it will be the Real LGBT parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

This trans March has to be a piss take surely.

This trans March has to be a piss take surely.

Break the binary. It's absolutely ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Why? The main event was last week and this is an event for a minority within a minority following very shortly afterwards, not anything like as well established, and contentious to varying degrees within and without the LGB demographic. A turn out of hundreds is pretty high imo.

If there was a march next week for like, pro-life supporters with coeliac would you expect that niche event to be highly attended because the main one was on this week?

rafatoni wrote: »
    The whole pride thing already has more splinter groups than dissident republicans.

LGBT, LGBT+, LGBT trans, the rival LGBT parade last week thats anti main LGBT parade.... next week it will be the Real LGBT parade.

Ok I don't think I like the spirit of this post but I would definitely go see what the craic was at the Provo Pride:D

Why? The main event was last week and this is an event for a minority within a minority following very shortly afterwards, not anything like as well established, and contentious to varying degrees within and without the LGB demographic. A turn out of hundreds is pretty high imo.

If there was a march next week for like, pro-life supporters with coeliac would you expect that niche event to be highly attended because the main one was on this week?

A minority within a minority repeat, give me a break.

• Advertisement

trans is to LGB and coeliac is to pro-life

A minority within a minority repeat, give me a break.

LGBT people are a minority, yes? And trans people are a minority within that.

It's a statement of bare fact, where's your problem with it?

<SNIP>
    Slurs like this are a reason to have a Pride. The rest of your post must have been in jest as the religious folk at that other march are not very fond of trans people hence the separation of the marches today.

trans is to LGB and coeliac is to pro-life

As a percentage they might be!

And please, don't let my clumsy analogies stop you defending your point. Go ahead.

LGBT people are a minority, yes? And trans people are a minority within that.

It's a statement of bare fact, where's your problem with it?[/QUOTE

I think we are gone past peak LGBT x y and z at this stage. I'm fu5ked up been bombarded with pride at this stage as I suspect alot of people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The big one is on in the north this Friday

No but if they disrupted traffic on the capital's main thoroughfare for such a niche grouo on a Saturday afternoon I'd be pissed off.

What was the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wait, the anti-choice crowd want a second referendum? On what basis? They got like 33 per cent of the vote.

No but if they disrupted traffic on the capital's main thoroughfare for such a niche grouo on a Saturday afternoon I'd be pissed off.

What was the point?

Big event big. Small event small.

Traffic no relevant to point. Traffic separate point.

I can have a go at simplifying that more if you're still confused but it'll be tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So in your view, women's rights are a bad thing and religious rule is a good thing. So undemocratic.

You don’t think people who don’t share your world view should be allowed to demonstrate in any way. That’s fine. Be honest. But don’t pretend that you feel unsafe or whatever it is that a religion is going to hurt you when there is no religious demonstration going on.
    Stop being such a miserable coward and own your bigotry.
    You don’t think pro life people should be allowed to march.
    This is a democracy so they are allowed.
    That makes you a bit angry.
    So what?

Advertisement