Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

I based our decision on assuming the real world range being 66% of the quoted and if that number worked then we could work with it. So far thats working out fine. Car is being driven as the previous ICE would have been 120kph om motorways, heating etc as before so from Mrs Tracos side there has been no negatives and she is very happy which means I am happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yeah, we are doing the same. We're hopefully collecting a ioniq 38 all going well in the next week, but we would have been fine with the ioniq 28 for our use case (mostly school runs, but 1 week out of 4 a 50k commute on motorway with chargers at work), we just wanted to get the car with more warranty and battery warranty.

We nearly even could have went for a 24 leaf, but I'd have to be vigilant about getting the car charged while at work, and also wouldn't have the option of filling up at work and not charging at home

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Salary sacrifice through employers. Great system if available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Wow, yeah just checked there and it's correct

Also the Pro Plus is cheaper than the base Pro with no options, which I find bizarre

And the base Golf for comparison (which is a worse spec)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So this is not a bargain at all, but I'm looking through the merlin list for friday and saw this gem. 4 bars left!

https://www.merlin.ie/details?listingid=815de068-54ca-ee11-8a03-f01fafd9cf1d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭denismc

So nearly 38k for a petrol golf, that's insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

never seen one that low. and only 2015 with 134k KM. must be something wrong.

range would be something like 35km realistically

I would be curious if its a software issue. Shouldnt be that low. It has the refresh interior meaning it has the lizard chemistry update and should be much better than the original one.

I assume VW are banking on Golf fans to buy it at that price, can't see anyone who's just looking for a car going for it

Does anyone know someone around wexford that fits online purchased tires? The local place in Ferns wouldnt do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ronan Furlong on the island road in Enniscorthy fitted a set for me once, he had a bit of a face on him doing it, he charged me a tenner each which was decent enough.

Cheers, will give them a try.

EDIT: Yup just booked in there, gone up to 20 a corner but better than not fitting them. Am on nearly 50k on the original tires!

Post edited by ELM327 on

Spotted an interesting planning applications for the Abbey court hotel in Nenagh

Solar panels, two small wind turbines (seems like some vertical axis design), a battery container and two DC chargers from the looks of it

Someone definitely went all in on renewables

Nice enough location for the M7, good place to stop for lunch on the way from Dublin and enjoy a more leisurely charging session

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Maxol announce 2 hubs in Newbridge and Ballycoolin. 12 points between them. They’re looking at another 20 potential sites. Also lament how long it takes to get a site online.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Maxol announced the Ballycoolin hub about 3 years ago……

There was a definite jab at ESBN in that article, basically blaming them for how long it takes to get a hub online

While I agree in general, now that Maxol know how long it can take they should be focusing heavily on getting their infrastructure sorted ahead if installing more chargers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They got their planning permission in Feb '23 and articles indicates opening by May '24. 15 months to go from permission to live doesn't sound too bad.

They were granted permission for similar at the Mulhuddart services last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Isn't there a European directive in the pipeline that there has to be a charging station every 25km or something like that? All has to be up and running very soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

worthless, Ireland is offside on EU directives across the board

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

Maxol in Sandyford just applied for some extensions which also include 2EV spaces hub with canopy. No docs yet Ref: D24A/0075

Interesting in seeing these local small service stations getting on board and installing EV chargers. This one and Circle K Kilternan used to be my local petrol stations before switching to electric. I used to burn over 2000l of petrol in a year. The area is crowded with EVs. Would this be reflected in their turnover at the level that made them do something?

Presumably most of those EVs in South Dublin have home charging same as most EV drivers at the moment.

Although with a lot of apartments in that general area there's probably decent demand for public chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

I'm thinking more on the lines they've seen a demand decrease pushing them to do something

It's worth remembering that both those locations are in industrial parks with easy access to power, the same might not be true for many of their other locations

Grid upgrades may require planning permission by themselves, and I don't know of any publicly available way to see what's in ESBN's pipeline

This is why I was saying now that Maxol are aware of this they should be able to factor that in for future sites

Slightly random thought, there were some articles a few months ago about essential businesses in towns being forced to take cash payments instead of being card only

I think petrol stations were on the list but obviously EV chargers weren't. The networks are struggling with the idea of debit cards so I imagine if anyone mentioned cash it would cause some heads to explode

Still... should EV charging hubs be forced to accept cash payments in some way?

IMO, yes they should in certain circumstances. Cash is still legal tender after all, and even though I avoid using cash myself I can understand that it's a choice to be cash free, not a requirement

I think charging hubs in petrol stations should definitely be required to take cash, and where there's a hub in a town there could also be call for it accepting cash

I don't think chargers should have coin or note machines in them, for the simple reason that some clown will try to smash it open and probably break the charger in the process

I've seen two systems for accepting cash which could work. One is a separate coin and note machine which is vandal proofed and can activate the chargers

Another is a voucher system where you can buy a voucher from a shop and scan a barcode on the charger to get a fixed amount of credit (or load a charging card)

I think for chargers in petrol stations, the shop staff should be able to accept payments for the chargers and activate them. It would save on the issues where authentication fails and you're ringing some hotline to try and remote start the charger, usually with mixed results

Honestly, I don't think it'll affect current EV drivers much, mostly because you don't have any alternative to card or app payments. But if EVs are going to take over then they need to cater for everyone, and until debit cards are a requirement of society then cash will still be around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

How far into the future before we might see something like this here? Why CHAdeMO only?

What cars are compatible?

Your vehicle must be CHAdeMO compatible and capable of discharging.

Power pack is currently compatible with:

Nissan Leaf

Nissan e-NV200

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

And we're working hard on more integrations!

So Chademo was V2G capable from the start but CCS only got finalised for V2G fairly recently (end of 2023 I think)

Wallbox have had the Quasar available for Chademo cars for a couple of years now but there's a Quasar 2 coming which will be CCS only

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭zg3409

New CCS chargers in UK need to have touch to pay by credit card. Talks of forcing businesses to take cash was going to only be in limited cases, with many businesses deciding for themselves.

Charging companies wanted to have vendor lock in with their own RFID cards. Payment fees for cards can be relatively high for small transaction amounts.

I believe all businesses should be forced to take cash, many people cannot get credit cards for various reasons such as bad credit rating, illiterate or not having bank account etc. For elderly this whole app only is very difficult.

Pricing should also be displayed at chargers like petrol stations. Especially overstay fees and per minute fees, along with pay parking prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Cards are a big enough step backwards let alone cash which would double the time it takes to charge with having to queue up to pay etc ..

Best case would be an option for your charging fees to be automatically added to your domestic electricity bill removing the need for another account. All automated on a plug and charge basis.

Advertisement