Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

I'm well versed in how the EU operates, I was a no campaigner here during the Lisbon revote

That doesn't actually prove anything though. Plenty of people campaigned for (and continue to campaign in favour of) Brexit and get even basic information about the EU wrong.

Either they're willfully lying, or they simply don't care to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

First Up wrote: »
    You wouldn't even get off your arse to do that, so your whinges about it being anti-democratic ring a bit hollow don't you think?

If the EU respected democracy it wouldn't exist in its current form

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'm sure you are right.

Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,653 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The UK decided to leave democratically.

An agreement has been signed.

The door is open, they won't leave, nothing to do with the EU.

How exactly are the EU not respecting democracy? :confused:

First Up wrote: »
    I'm sure you are right.

Goodbye.

And there we have it... Watch out for the flying rattler... Wahhh

• Advertisement

Eh we joined the EEC...

Did you...did you read anything leading up to my final line?

Like how we specifically voted to found turn the EEC into the EU? As a people?

Fine, I'll accept your semantics. We joined the EEC and then helped found the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

"No" is the short answer to the OP.

Dytalus wrote: »
    Did you...did you read anything leading up to my final line?

Like how we specifically voted to found turn the EEC into the EU? As a people?

Fine, I'll accept your semantics. We joined the EEC and then helped found the EU.

And what happened when people voted No to Lisbon and Nice treaties?

WHAT happened to the French and Dutch referendums on an EU constitution?

Any recent referendums on anything EU related have consistently gone against them only to be made vote again or just been outright ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

And what happened when people voted No to Lisbon and Nice treaties?

WHAT happened to the French and Dutch referendums on an EU constitution?

Any recent referendums on anything EU related have consistently gone against them only to be made vote again or just been outright ignored

Nothing stopping the country in question, including Ireland, deciding that they don't agree and simply leaving the EU.

Nothing stopping the country in question, including Ireland, deciding that they don't agree and simply leaving the EU.

You didn't answer the question, what happened to the French and Dutch results?

"in the EU, a Yes vote is forever. A No vote is only ever temporary."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lol

You didn't answer the question, what happened to the French and Dutch results?

"in the EU, a Yes vote is forever. A No vote is only ever temporary."

I'll answer a question anyway I like. I notice you've ignored my questions too. Yet again, why not answer your own question? Make your own argument. What happened to those results?

I'll answer a question anyway I like. I notice you've ignored my questions too. Yet again, why not answer your own question? Make your own argument. What happened to those results?

Pfft that's some cop out, has the cat got your tongue?

Pfft that's some cop out, has the cat got your tongue?

Hmmm. That all you got? Pity, it would have been good to debate with someone who could make a coherent argument against the EU.

Hmmm. That all you got? Pity, it would have been good to debate with someone who could make a coherent argument against the EU.

Another fella, toys out of the pram... Its a fairly straight forward simple question... What happened to the French and Dutch votes on an EU constitution?

Another fella, toys out of the pram... Its a fairly straight forward simple question... What happened to the French and Dutch votes on an EU constitution?

Why not google it and use the answer to make an argument against the EU?

Why not google it and use the answer to make an argument against the EU?

I'm sensing you're getting uncomfortable..

I'm sensing you're getting uncomfortable..

Bored actually. Bye.

Bored actually. Bye.

Toys everywhere on this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

They meant that the EU constitution wasn't ratified. Are you saying that it's in force despite those votes?

• Advertisement

storker wrote: »
    They meant that the EU constitution wasn't ratified. Are you saying that it's in force despite those votes?

Let them speak for themselves. Even though I'm bored with them now.

I didn't talk about the constitution or it's ratification at all. What is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Let them speak for themselves. Even though I'm bored with them now.

I didn't talk about the constitution or it's ratification at all. What is your point?

Oops I answered the wrong post. :rolleyes: Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Panrich

It’s amusing to see fans of Putin at the forefront of complaints against democracy within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Its not complicated at all. The people voted to leave so leave in March and deal with the fallout (if any) after.

We voted no to Lisbon so the answer is no, end of. It is the EU who drags their feet on this stuff, there are plenty of examples

So we shoudl get one vote on everything and then that's it ???

Once vote for government and that's it for ever with by elections on retirement or death of individual td's ?

Once vote for your council ?

One vote on a constitution then no referendums except to add stuff and once in its stays in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Panrich wrote: »
    It’s amusing to see fans of Putin at the forefront of complaints against democracy within the EU.

Yep, they roar about how "democracy" must be respected but deride the notion of referenda in the face of changed circumstances, and then verbally fellate blatantly antidemocratic dictators like Putin or wannabes like Trump as the pinnacle of leadership. It's hilarious. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 67,103 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Can't agree among themselves to leave, blame everybody else, paralyse their own governance and cannot agree to put it back to the people.

Democracy yeh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

knipex wrote: »
    So we shoudl get one vote on everything and then that's it ???

Of course not but should people be told "wrong answer, try again" when the result of the vote is not as expected? That's what the EU did with Ireland. Most of the pro-EU folk on here will agree with me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,103 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Berserker wrote: »
    Of course not but should people be told "wrong answer, try again" when the result of the vote is as expected? That's what the EU did with Ireland. Most of the pro-EU folk on here will agree with me on that.

Nobody said 'wrong answer'.

We sought changes, got them and we voted again.

Brexit - People voted on something that had a severe lack of clarity (See Farage et al stating it would not be necessary or desirable to leave the SM etc) and parliament has paralysed itself over it while the EU wait.

Berserker wrote: »
    Of course not but should people be told "wrong answer, try again" when the result of the vote is as expected? That's what the EU did with Ireland. Most of the pro-EU folk on here will agree with me on that.

Then they would be wrong.

Ireland: Votes no to the Nice Treaty.
    EU: "Why did you vote no? We talked over this beforehand."
    Ireland: "A lot of us have problems with X, Y, and Z. Please to be fixing them."
    EU: "Okay. We've changed the treaty and have legally binding documents which address your concerns. Are you happy with the new treaty?"
    Ireland: "Yes, thank you. You are a good friend, Europe."

The same happened with Lisbon as well. Neither Nice 2.0, nor Lisbon 2.0, were reruns of the same treaty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

If the EU are so perfect then why do the British want to leave? Why is there growing resentment towards the union?

No one said that the EU was perfect.
    There are plenty of things the EU has done delay Brexit. For example the extortionate divorce bill, allowing an extension until October 31st, the blatant opposition to Brexit from top EU officials, I could go on and on.

The EU cannot stop Brexit, they cannot delay Brexit, they cannot do anything about Brexit. Only the UK can request a delay, only the UK can stop the process.

EU officials are allowed to have opinions and to my knowledge are allowed to express them.

The so called "Divorce Bill" was agreed by the UK. Not imposed on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement