Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

I lived over there for 10 years they are a horrible race of people have you never wondered why nearly every country on earth hates them

And yet you lived there for 10 years. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh no, it's such a terrible place, I possibly couldn't stand it, I've got the whole of Europe, Americas, Australias, Asia to go to but I guess I must stay here! :rolleyes:

I get the anti brit sentiment to a point, but jeez the way some people carry on makes you almost wish the brits would just close the doors to the likes of declan who would probably then whine for another reason.

hypocrite.
    Iv a fairly thick skin so I could handle the **** they dished out, but the vast majority of them have an over inflated opinion of themselves as a race

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Iv a fairly thick skin so I could handle the **** they dished out, but the vast majority of them have an over inflated opinion of themselves as a race

My experience is that a large majority of English people are decent people. Privileged elitists like Mogg, Johnson, Farage, and their lower class counterparts such as Tommy Robinson, are appalling human beings. Similarly, you wouldn't have to wander very far in Ireland to find equally appalling human beings

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I lived over there for 10 years they are a horrible race of people have you never wondered why nearly every country on earth hates them

I lived in England for 9 years. North East England. Teesside, Co Durham and Newcastle. I think the English are sound. So far as you can generalise about a whole country. Middlesboro was very different to Newcastle. I worked with completely different demographic of people. Less educated, less worldly, less interest in the world. Newcastle I worked with more educated, middle class people.

The more educated people were much more humble and knowledgeable about the British empire. The less educated people were much more brash and in favour of the idea of the old days without any real Interest in learning about the reality of their history. It's not coincidence that there was a direct correlation between education and strength of brexit vote. The less educated, the more likely to vote for brexit.

Maybe the fact that I like the be ish us why I'm not enjoying the idea of them suffering as a result of brexit.

Yeah it doesn't sound like you could handle the sh1t they threw at you. You sound a bit bitter about it either you wee bullied or you took things too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I lived in England for 9 years. North East England. Teesside, Co Durham and Newcastle. I think the English are sound. So far as you can generalise about a whole country. Middlesboro was very different to Newcastle. I worked with completely different demographic of people. Less educated, less worldly, less interest in the world. Newcastle I worked with more educated, middle class people.

The more educated people were much more humble and knowledgeable about the British empire. The less educated people were much more brash and in favour of the idea of the old days without any real Interest in learning about the reality of their history. It's not coincidence that there was a direct correlation between education and strength of brexit vote. The less educated, the more likely to vote for brexit.

Maybe the fact that I like the be ish us why I'm not enjoying the idea of them suffering as a result of brexit.

If you benefit from neoliberalism and globalization, you largely voted Remain.

If you lose out to it you largely voted Leave.

• Advertisement

I’ve been living here for many years and the vast majority of the people I’ve encountered have been lovely.

In fact I’ve encountered a lot less begrudgers and me feiners here than in Ireland, and it’s sad to admit, because I love Ireland.

Like a good little Dub I was raised and schooled to blame the Brits and others on my problems. But that’s an unhealthy mentality and once I matured, travelled a bit and became educated I realised that needed to let it go to grow as a person.

The Brits are a sound bunch for the most part, especially in the big cities. Sorry to say it but you probably didn’t get along in the UK because of your bad attitude towards people, which is on display here.

No one likes a person who delights in seeing his neighbours house burn down.
    I got on great over there and have great memories of my time over there, I was well able for their little racest comments, I'd say ur the type of person that would let those comments slide

Yeah it doesn't sou d like you could handle the sh1t they threw at you. You sound a bit bitter about it either you wee bullied or yoh took things too seriously.
    The worst type of brit is an Irish brit I think there are a few round here, Brendan o'neill types they are not sure what they are

Relax and enjoy it mate

The worst type of brit is an Irish brit I think there are a few round here, Brendan o'neill types they are not sure what they are

OK. I don't know who that is. Doesn't really address anything in the post you quoted but, OK.

Relax and enjoy it mate

Enjoy watching people I lived with, suffer from brexit? That sounds very bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My experience is that a large majority of English people are decent people. Privileged elitists like Mogg, Johnson, Farage, and their lower class counterparts such as Tommy Robinson, are appalling human beings. Similarly, you wouldn't have to wander very far in Ireland to find equally appalling human beings

I lived in the UK for 10 years and met people from all walks of life - from Lairds in the Highlands to Barrow Boys in the East End. Overwhelmingly decent people.
    Ignorant of Irish history granted, but I have found most Irish people like to spew out a lot of myths and Catholic/Nationalist BS that displays their own profound lack of knowledge about Irish history. Many of these types could be found living/working/drawing the dole in the UK ironically.
    Most racist person I ever met in England was of Irish decent. No English person ever gave me the slightest hassle over being Irish even though when I lived there (pre-GFA days) Irish terrorists were blowing up children in Warrington.
    However, when I brought my English born/Irish citizen son home I had to make a formal complaint about the vice-principle of his school for incitement to hatred. No English person ever called my son an "Irish B*stard", but an Irish teacher called him a "British B*stard" in front of the whole class.

Relax and enjoy it mate

Enjoy watching people I lived with, suffer from brexit? That sounds very bitter.
    Don't enjoy it so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I got on great over there and have great memories of my time over there, I was well able for their little racest comments, I'd say ur the type of person that would let those comments slide

He seems like the type of person that wouldn't write off 60 million people based on the comments of a couple of dickheads.

Did you spend your whole time over in England stuck in your room listening to the best of the Wolfe Tones?

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I lived in the UK for 10 years and met people from all walks of life - from Lairds in the Highlands to Barrow Boys in the East End. Overwhelmingly decent people.
    Ignorant of Irish history granted, but I have found most Irish people like to spew out a lot of myths and Catholic/Nationalist BS that displays their own profound lack of knowledge about Irish history. Many of these types could be found living/working/drawing the dole in the UK ironically.
    Most racist person I ever met in England was of Irish decent. No English person ever gave me the slightest hassle over being Irish even though when I lived there (pre-GFA days) Irish terrorists were blowing up children in Warrington.
    However, when I brought my English born/Irish citizen son home I had to make a formal complaint about the vice-principle of his school for incitement to hatred. No English person ever called my son an "Irish B*stard", but an Irish teacher called him a "British B*stard" in front of the whole class.
    In fairness thats wrong

In fairness thats wrong

Yes. It is.
    And it happened in Ireland.
    Because in response to a question my son said his GG Grandfather was a founder member of a well known GAA club. My son was telling the truth.
    And I know it happened because an adult witness was so appalled he phoned me.
    I took formal action because when I spoke to the Principle of the school he defended the VP - who not only was present, he repeated his bigotry to my face.
    So you might think the British are bigoted but the first time in his life my son heard such hatred for another race expressed it was in Ireland.

He seems like the type of person that wouldn't write off 60 million people based on the comments of a couple of dickheads.

Did you spend your whole time over in England stuck in your room listening to the best of the Wolfe Tones?
    Went to see them once in the national in kilburn, that was some night

In fairness thats wrong

Yes. It is.
    Because in response to a question my son said his GG Grandfather was a founder member of a well known GAA club. My son was telling the truth.
    I took formal action because when I spoke to the Principle of the school he defended the VP - who not only was present, he repeated his bigotry to my face.
    So you might think the British are bigoted but the first time in his life my son heard such hatred for another race expressed it was in Ireland.
    I played soccer on saturdays with a team a mix of english, coloured, and 2 greek lads, there was often a little racest comment towards the the non english nothing as bad as ur son got but racest all the same, I don't think they taut they were being racest, they taut it was funny, I used to say the Germans had ye wiped out only for uncle Sam's help.

They think they won the war, the US won the war and screwed britian after it, and now it looks like the brits are pulling down their pants bending over and waiting for trump to arrive from behind

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

They think they won the war, the US won the war and screwed britian after it, and now it looks like the brits are pulling down their pants bending over and waiting for trump to arrive from behind

Damn, I don't have as much bitters in my cocktail as you do inside you!

Damn, I don't have as much bitters in my cocktail as you do inside you!
    I'm not bitter at all mate I'm just enjoying the whole show, we are watching history being made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Yes. It is.

Every country has evil people like the above, no country can be responsible for the acts individuals. However, the British have collectively appointed governments that have occupied this country and murdered and starved people. You might say this is all in the past but the present British government is pursuing anti Irish policies and a large number of people in Britain voted for them.

Every country has evil people like the above, no country can be responsible for the acts individuals. However, the British have collectively appointed governments that have occupied this country and murdered and starved people. You might say this is all in the past but the present British government is pursuing anti Irish policies and a large number of people in Britain voted for them.

Irish governments haven't exactly covered themselves in glory when it comes to looking after the welfare of the Irish people.
    They are responsible for all of the injustices and abuses that have happened since 1922.

And I disagree that the current British government is pursuing "anti-Irish policies". That makes it sound like they even think about Ireland. They don't give enough of a monkey's about Ireland to even have a policy never mind an "anti" one.
    What they are pursuing is an isolationist, Little Englander, Xenophobic, policy that will benefit a select few and remove the EU as a means of appeal for ordinary people.

It is a policy that has nothing to do with Ireland (or Scotland or Wales) and everything to do with Middle England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

And I disagree that the current British government is pursuing "anti-Irish policies". That makes it sound like they even think about Ireland. They don't give enough of a monkey's about Ireland to even have a policy never mind an "anti" one.
    What they are pursuing is an isolationist, Little Englander, Xenophobic, policy that will benefit a select few and remove the EU as a means of appeal for ordinary people.

It is a policy that has nothing to do with Ireland (or Scotland or Wales) and everything to do with Middle England.

Hmm the press is definitely pursuing an anti Irish strategy as are some Tories. They literally think we are going to starve.

Don't enjoy it so

I won't enjoy that. Wilm you enjoy it? If so, why?

Hmm the press is definitely pursuing an anti Irish strategy as are some Tories. They literally think we are going to starve.

They really don't. They're just taking a line of argument that puts the EU in,a weak position. It imagines the EU needs to give ground in the negotiations and give Britain a better deal. That's how you know the negotiations are still on. They wouldn't bother taking a negotiation position if they fad no intention to negotiate in the future ( when the deadline approaches, most likely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

They really don't. They're just taking a line of argument that puts the EU in,a weak position. It imagines the EU needs to give ground in the negotiations and give Britain a better deal. That's how you know the negotiations are still on. They wouldn't bother taking a negotiation position if they fad no intention to negotiate in the future ( when the deadline approaches, most likely)

Nevertheless the Tories and their press see Ireland as the weak link. They couldn’t and wouldn’t negotiate on that basis unless they believed it. Clearly the backstop is a problem and hectoring Ireland or driving a wedge between Ireland and the EU is part of it.

(Of course some Irish columnists think ireland is bullying the U.K.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Exactly. It's a United Kingdom due to a monarchy. The queen of England and in a United Kingdom vote the majority view of the population of England will always defeat the wants and needs of the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish.

How is that democratic?

All of whom can leave any time they want

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Why would the EU give in to the UK over brexit?If they did that would potentially open the flood gates as other countries would do the same which would probably bring the EU down- it's not going to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Irish governments haven't exactly covered themselves in glory when it comes to looking after the welfare of the Irish people.
    They are responsible for all of the injustices and abuses that have happened since 1922.

Of course they are and if the Irish people are not happy with what they are doing then they can vote in someone with another policy.

This is no defence. It is like the speeder who says I didn't mean to run down the pedestrian I was just trying to get to my destination quicker. The point is that he or she can only proceed to their destination while respecting the safety of others just as England have to respect the GFA. And it isn't just a "select few" that are following these malign policies but millions of English people are voting for it.

• Advertisement

Nevertheless the Tories and their press see Ireland as the weak link. They couldn’t and wouldn’t negotiate on that basis unless they believed it. Clearly the backstop is a problem and hectoring Ireland or driving a wedge between Ireland and the EU is part of it.

(Of course some Irish columnists think ireland is bullying the U.K.)

They want Ireland to drop the backstop and agree to digital border. Ireland us predicted to feel the impact of brexit so it makes sense to lean on Ireland. To drive a wedge between Ireland and the EU, as you said. Get Ireland to encourage EU to give a better deal. I doubt they believe the things they're saying any more than I believe I will get the opening offer when take part in a a negotiation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement