Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Russian interference :rolleyes: only a 7 year old thinks the Russians can swing Brexit and US presidential election votes.

Russia are the new Jewish world conspiracy, controlling everything yet have an economy equal to tiny Belgium and the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Fair enough. I don't particularly agree with him, his neoliberal policies or his disregard for the Irish question but if every politician was as polite and respectful as him British politics would be a lot more civilised than it is now.

He's a self-serving, elitist prig.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Fair enough. I don't particularly agree with him, his neoliberal policies or his disregard for the Irish question but if every politician was as polite and respectful as him British politics would be a lot more civilised than it is now.

Do I need to link to a picture of him lying across the front bench in the HoC?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Do I need to link to a picture of him lying across the front bench in the HoC?

I saw it. I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That's totally at odds with basically everyone who knows him, including those on the opposite benches.

What do you mean? Is there opinions of him from all his colleagues out there somewhere? Can you link to them?

• Advertisement

What do you mean? Is there opinions of him from all his colleagues out there somewhere? Can you link to them?

As I'm not bound by the rules of the forum to do so, no. But it's well known that he maintains good relations with colleagues from all sides of the political spectrum.

As I'm not bound by the rules of the forum to do so, no. But it's well known that he maintains good relations with colleagues from all sides of the political spectrum.

I'm sure he does. But you made the claim, that it is the opinion of 'basically everyone who knows him including those on the opposite benches', but you won't back up how you know this.

I'm sure he does. But you made the claim, that it is the opinion of 'basically everyone who knows him including those on the opposite benches', but you won't back up how you know this.

Well, you've already said you're sure I'm right, so no need for back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'm guessing this is a reference to that weird thing that was going on between mogg and Jess Phillips, kind of hand across the barricade type stunt. Not phillips finest hour if you ask me.

Well, you've already said you're sure I'm right, so no need for back up.

No, you didn't say 'basically everyone' the second time around. You were backpedaling already because you have no way of backing that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Danzy wrote: »
    Russia are the new Jewish world conspiracy, controlling everything yet have an economy equal to tiny Belgium and the Netherlands.
    It's almost like people have explained and proven the really cheap mechanism by which they are sowing discord in those countries. Maybe you're right, and the state-backed troll farms are just a big lark they're wasting money on to amuse Putin.

No, you didn't say 'basically everyone' the second time around. You were backpedaling already because you have no way of backing that up.

Let me frontpedal again. Everyone in the WORLD loves Jacob Rees Mogg. Sources to follow.

Let me frontpedal again. Everyone in the WORLD loves Jacob Rees Mogg. Sources to follow.

Job done. Thanks for spectacularly displaying that you were just protectively bull****ting. ;)

Job done. Thanks for spectacularly displaying that you were just protectively bull****ting. ;)

Thanks for protecting the Social & Fun forum from hyperbole. You're doing the lord's work.

Thanks for protecting the Social & Fun forum from hyperbole. You're doing the lord's work.

You are on that bike again, facing the wrong way. Nite nite.

Good article by the consistently solid Paul Gillespie in The Irish Times, about how political opinion in Wales, for the first time, is moving towards independence and how this will make unionists in the North even more marginalised:

World View: Welsh are finding it harder to make the case for the Union: Some 40 per cent of Welsh voters are now ‘indy-curious’, according to a YouGov poll

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Says Grenfell Tower victims didn't have the 'common sense' to go against instructions from Fire Service.

Tories couldn't care less about the Grenfell tragedy as it was mostly immigrants, and all working class people, people the Tory party despise.

Rees-Mogg’s guide to Grenfell:

NOT TO BLAME
    Tory refusal to pass laws on sprinklers and cladding
    Council that cut corners and ignored residents
    Outsourcing of management of tower
    Cuts to fire brigade
    Austerity

TO BLAME
    The victims

how is that racist though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

The Welsh seem to have found the sweet spot between being part of the union and retaining their identity - I guess their language is a big part of that. I find myself in Wales more often than I should need to be (a terrible IT supplier in Bangor) but I'm always aware that I'm in Wales, not England, whereas I never get that same feeling in Scotland. Ive never met any Welsh who were overtly independent leaning in any way - it would be a terrible indictment of Brexit it it resulted in that.

I guess with all the messing on Westminster, anything is possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Welsh seem to have found the sweet spot between being part of the union and retaining their identity - I guess their language is a big part of that. I find myself in Wales more often than I should need to be (a terrible IT supplier in Bangor) but I'm always aware that I'm in Wales, not England, whereas I never get that same feeling in Scotland. Ive never met any Welsh who were overtly independent leaning in any way - it would be a terrible indictment of Brexit it it resulted in that.

I wonder how much, if any of that is down to the fact that Edward I was the one who conquered Wales in the thirteenth century while Scotland wasn't properly part of the UK until the 1707 Act of Union.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What do you make of this?
    “I’ve applied for Irish citizenship.” Pre-Brexit, this would have been amazing to hear in a cut-glass accent by a late-middle-aged upper-class British woman. But Brexit was looming and she didn’t want any hassle commuting to her country home, in France.

“Really? So you must have an Irish grandparent?”

“No, my father was born in Dublin. In 1920. He’s wasn’t Irish. He did not go to school there. Nothing like that.”

Not Irish in any ethnic sense, Cut Glass was anxious to make that quite clear.

“But Ireland wasn’t an independent country then. It was still under British rule. Why was your family there?”

“My grandfather was, um, part of the government.”

In a situation replete with ironies and contradictions, this was particularly rich to take part in.

The grandchild of a British official, stationed in Ireland during the final, brutal years of a centuries-long struggle for independence, was relying on the fact that her father was born in Dublin. Her grandfather was there fighting to uphold British rule and prevent the creation of the country she was now seeking to join.

But join only in the most superficial sense. She wasn’t going to live there. Nothing like that.

https://www.thebattleground.eu/articles/2019/11/06/irelands-brit-hangover/?fbclid=IwAR3g-ZixNlum_3WxYdM5dyz8mOhahK4doZcdHa-KvHaWzVyl9TUmEpBrKt4

I mean immigrants from ..wherever living here paying taxes who would be proud to be irish are applying for passports!

It irked me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The next extension date will come and go if the Tories get a majority.

Mind you it will probably come and go no matter who is in Govt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Always confused me that.

The welsh managed not only to hang onto their language fiercely but made it de rigeur and so normal whereas Ireland and Scotland lost theirs so relatively easily

Yet the welsh towed the line in on brexit and Scotland and NI didn’t

This will keep historians and social commentary experts confused for a very long time I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

What do you make of this?

https://www.thebattleground.eu/articles/2019/11/06/irelands-brit-hangover/?fbclid=IwAR3g-ZixNlum_3WxYdM5dyz8mOhahK4doZcdHa-KvHaWzVyl9TUmEpBrKt4

I mean immigrants from ..wherever living here paying taxes who would be proud to be irish are applying for passports!

It irked me.

Would not be shocked if there's a load of them grabbing the passport purely as a flag of convenience. Some of them likely are proud "patriots" who voted to Brexit but don't want to risk any inconveniences in airports or be hindered taking up jobs in the EU as "Ex-Pats" in in the future. Serves us right in a way for our joke Granny/Grandad citizenship laws.

The next extension date will come and go if the Tories get a majority.

Mind you it will probably come and go no matter who is in Govt.

If the Tories have a majority, they'll pass their deal and the EU and Varadkar will celebrate and get down to negotiating the trade deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The welsh managed not only to hang onto their language fiercely but made it de rigeur and so normal whereas Ireland and Scotland lost theirs so relatively easily

Language is not the only (or most important) manifestation of identity. I lived in Scotland for a few years and never for a moment doubted I was in a country that was comfortable and secure in who it was - and it knew that wasn't England.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

First Up wrote: »
    Language is not the only (or most important) manifestation of identity. I lived in Scotland for a few years and never for a moment doubted I was in a country that was comfortable and secure in who it was - and it knew that wasn't England.

Feeling that 100%. Same experience as my own every time I’ve been there and within moments with the Scots I know.
    On a scale They all pretty much go from being indifferent to loathing the English.
    But they’d almost all entirely prefer independence.

Just weird to see wales finally wake up with the same call.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Feeling that 100%. Same experience as my own every time I’ve been there and within moments with the Scots I know. On a scale They all pretty much go from being indifferent to loathing the English. But they’d almost all entirely prefer independence.

Well they got the chance to decide and they voted to stay in the UK. But that was before the Brexit idiocy.

Labour party looking at adding the motions on migration passed at their conference to the manifesto.

It includes such gems as extending freedom of movement to people around the world😯

Closing all migration detention centres. Extending the vote to all resident regardless of citizenship, committing to no upper limit on migration in to Britain and a few more.

This will play well in radical activist suburban homes or among libertarian CEOs but among the electorate and especially the working class it is toxic.

Maybe their strategy is to get Johnson a majority and get Brexit over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Danzy wrote: »
    Labour party looking at adding the motions on migration passed at their conference to the manifesto.

It includes such gems as extending freedom of movement to people around the world��

Closing all migration detention centres. Extending the vote to all resident regardless of citizenship, committing to no upper limit on migration in to Britain and a few more.

This will play well in radical activist suburban homes or among libertarian CEOs but among the electorate and especially the working class it is toxic.

Maybe their strategy is to get Johnson a majority and get Brexit over with.

They would be fools to do otherwise. Everyone knows Brexit will be a very costly thing for everyone rich and poor and in the middle, but no one will say it.

However I doubt Brexit will happen anyway. And in a few years, with Corbyn gone to his allotment to tend to his parsnips, there may be a resurgent LP with core values, minus Momentum, sorry Leftie ERG, to worry about anymore.

Brexit does not seem to be an issue much in the election campaign or is it just me?

• Advertisement

Did the Welsh ever fight for their independence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement