Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Boggles wrote: »
    How do you know they are?

Again, he isn't really a journalist is he? Out of interest did he study journalism?

I'm not doing your work for you anymore. I already cited and linked many times. This is getting ****ing tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

notobtuse wrote: »
    Seems to be mostly single nut cases history in the US. Not some organized effort by right wing groups as you imply. Got anything better?

They organise on the net so it is organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Kimsang wrote: »
    I'm not doing your work for you anymore. I already cited and linked many times. This is getting ****ing tiresome.

Hang on a sec, you are the one who said you were a fan.

Was just wondering did he study journalism.

Simple enough question. Thought you might have known.

I have never checked the education history of a journalist. Ever. Have you ? Do you regularly do this?

I like or dislike a journalists work based on how they argue and whether they appeal to reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Again, he isn't really a journalist is he? Out of interest did he study journalism?

The wiki says he's a political grad who worked on a university paper until he got fired for 'half truths'. Since then he's been making a name on the web slagging off the left. Reminds me of that Milo chancer. Being permanently outraged and whinging about people they claim are permanently outraged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

I have never checked the education history of a journalist. Ever. Have you ? Do you regularly do this?

I would think most people do???

You wouldnt trust word of an unqualified doctor on medical issue...why would you read unqualified journalists??

It makes no sense like??

The wiki says he's a political grad who worked on a university paper until he got fired for 'half truths'. Since then he's been making a name slagging off the left. Reminds me of that Milo chancer. Being permanently outraged and whinging about people they claim are permanently outraged.

If you care to scratch beneath the surface all will be revealed young jedi.

The citation on his Wikipedia page reveals that he got fired for a tweet:
    "At @Portland_State interfaith panel today, the Muslim student speaker said that apostates will be killed or banished in an Islamic state,"

Which was summarizing this speech:
    In a video of the event, the panelist says: "I can confidently tell you, when the Quran says an innocent life, it means an innocent life, regardless of the faith, the race, like, whatever you can think about as a characteristic. […] This that you're referring to, killing non-Muslims, that is only considered a crime when the country's law, the country is based on Quranic law—that means there is no other law than the Quran. In that case, you're given the liberty to leave the country, I'm not going to sugarcoat it."

Was this indeed a 'half-truth'? and a sackable offence? and enough to be labelled far right?
    What he did was paraphrase a portion of a Muslim student's comments about the treatment of non-Muslims in Islamic countries via his personal Twitter account.
    Ngo's tweet went viral and caught the attention of the right-wing Breitbart News Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Billy Mays wrote: »
    The violence commited on Ngo, yes. A piece of neo Nazi sh!t like Spencer, not a chance. I'd have been quite happy to see the fella stick the boot in on him aswell

He could of killed that guy i hope you wouldn't be as snakey as that and youd fight the nazis head on like a real man.
    Pity he didn't kill him

The more dead neo nazis the better

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Pity he didn't kill him

The more dead neo nazis the better

And dead commies, am I right?

I’d oppose all street violence. What we could do instead is put the anti fa and the proud boys (etc etc etc) into some stadium or whatever and let them at it.

Stadium violence.

_blaaz wrote: »
    I would think most people do???

You wouldnt trust word of an unqualified doctor on medical issue...why would you read unqualified journalists??

It makes no sense like??

Because one is a real degree absolutely needed for the job and one isn’t?

The vast majority of journalists didn’t do a journalism course.

Historically none of them did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

They organise on the net so it is organised.

What right wing groups have organized on the net here in the US that has resulted in a coordinated group violent crime?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

The wiki says he's a political grad who worked on a university paper until he got fired for 'half truths'. Since then he's been making a name on the web slagging off the left. Reminds me of that Milo chancer. Being permanently outraged and whinging about people they claim are permanently outraged.

Even if that's the case, so what?

There's probably hundreds of blue checked accounts on twitter engaging in progressive activism who smear conservatives daily. Does that give me or anyone else the right to physically attack them?

This is a very disingenuous line of attack on your part and it's something that's done far too often to the point now that I think it's purposeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

If you care to scratch beneath the surface all will be revealed young jedi.

The citation on his Wikipedia page reveals that he got fired for a tweet:

Which was summarizing this speech:

Was this indeed a 'half-truth'? and a sackable offence? and enough to be labelled far right?

lying about what people said and then putting them in danger is a sackable offence with any reputable news organisation.

20Cent wrote: »
    lying about what people said and then putting them in danger is a sackable offence with any reputable news organisation.

How did you feel about those kids from Covington as a matter of interest?

I don't remember anyone being fired over that incident, although multiple of the "reports" had to be edited and many are now being sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

And dead commies, am I right?

I’d oppose all street violence. What we could do instead is put the anti fa and the proud boys (etc etc etc) into some stadium or whatever and let them at it.

Stadium violence.

The Proud boys are going to have another rally this Saturday July 6th.
    "On his website, Tarrio sells shirts promoting “free helicopter rides”—a celebration of Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet’s regime executing leftists by throwing them out of helicopters". There's the initial threat to opponents there in 2019, wishing them death and celebrating it.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/proud-boys-and-allies-to-rally-in-dc-to-capitalize-on-trumpstravaganza

The authorities over there should ban far right hate groups and there would be an immediate de-escalation of trouble. But they won't because there is tolerance in the Trump era for the far right, just like Charlottesville where they murdered a young woman.

klaaaz wrote: »

The authorities over there should ban far right hate groups and there would be an immediate de-escalation of trouble.

Well that's just bullshít and pure confirmation bias. Trump supporters were literally chased and to their cars and beaten after leaving rallies in 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2016/jun/02/donald-trump-protest-violence-san-jose-rally-video

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

20Cent wrote: »

Communism has murdered more people in the last 100 years than every other political ideology put together. Hundreds of millions of people. Skinheads and antifa are exactly the same sort of sh!tbags behind the veneer of their respective political ideologies. Hitler learned how to exterminate masses of people by studying how the Soviet Union did it.

peddlelies wrote: »
    Even if that's the case, so what?

There's probably hundreds of blue checked accounts on twitter engaging in progressive activism who smear conservatives daily. Does that give me or anyone else the right to physically attack them?

This is a very disingenuous line of attack on your part and it's something that's done far too often to the point now that I think it's purposeful.

He's not a journalist is all. That's the query I was answering.
    I'm not condoning violence, just pointing out he's not a journalist but a randomer with internet access who has seemingly made a career out of criticising the left.
    Bette Midler is blue checked and very outspoken politically....she ain't no journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Communism has murdered more people in the last 100 years than every other political ideology put together. Hundreds of millions of people. Skinheads and antifa are exactly the same sort of sh!tbags behind the veneer of their respective political ideologies. Hitler learned how to exterminate masses of people by studying how the Soviet Union did it.

How many people have antifa killed?

Answer 0

Far right terrorists?

Answer 50 in the last year

Creating a false equivalence between them.

notobtuse wrote: »
    What right wing groups have organized on the net here in the US that has resulted in a coordinated group violent crime?

All of them. They organised on the internet. Or were radicalised on the internet. Same in fact as a lot of Isis “lone wolves”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

peddlelies wrote: »
    Well that's just bullshít and pure confirmation bias. Trump supporters were literally chased and to their cars and beaten after leaving rallies in 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2016/jun/02/donald-trump-protest-violence-san-jose-rally-video

You must be making that up about the dramatics? I see Trump supporters(mostly men surprise surprise) clashing with demonstrators there in 2016.

3 years on, there has been a host of far right rallies and marches tolerated by the Trump administration resulting in deaths in the USA(including the murder by the far right in Charlottesville) . Do you support the holding of far right hate rallies and marches?

FYI: Stalin, Pol Pot, Kim Jong Un and China aren't communist.

The wiki says he's a political grad who worked on a university paper until he got fired for 'half truths'. Since then he's been making a name on the web slagging off the left.

Oh right, so he is neither a journalist or unique.

Think I nailed it with Dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

All of them. They organised on the internet. Or were radicalised on the internet. Same in fact as a lot of Isis “lone wolves”.
    "All of them" is a cop-out.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

The Proud Boys which you're quick to defend

Where did I defend them? Care to quote me? You stated they are targeting the LGTB community, I asked you to provide a source for this claim, and, quell surprise, you haven't.

You must be making that up about the dramatics? I see Trump supporters(mostly men surprise surprise) clashing with demonstrators there in 2016.

People were leaving rallies and being set upon. It happened frequently in 2016 and will again in 2020.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/01/antifa-charlottesville-violence-fbi-242235

"Previously unreported documents disclose that by April 2016, authorities believed that “anarchist extremists” were the primary instigators of violence at public rallies against a range of targets. They were blamed by authorities for attacks on the police, government and political institutions, along with symbols of “the capitalist system,” racism, social injustice and fascism, according to a confidential 2016 joint intelligence assessment by DHS and the FBI."
    3 years on, there has been a host of far right rallies and marches tolerated by the Trump administration resulting in deaths in the USA(including the murder by the far right in Charlottesville) . Do you support the holding of far right hate rallies and marches?

I don't agree with their views but how do you define far right. Free speech in the US is a complicated issue but it's indefinably better to allow marches then to start selectively choosing what can and can't be allowed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Far left. Far right. A very small but very loud and obnoxious fraction of the overall political spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

FYI: Stalin, Pol Pot, Kim Jong Un and China aren't communist.

Any examples of countries which were communist?

Yeah, leave Trump supporters alone, harmless all together.

181026143708-05-mugshot-van-inset-1026-exlarge-169.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah, leave Trump supporters alone, harmless all together.

So you agree that it's fine to sucker punch random people leaving Trump rallies. At least you've made your stance crystal clear, good man.

If you're going to throw up some nut like the guy in the photo, don't forgot the guy on the other side who shot up a Republican baseball game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement