Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

20Cent wrote: »
    Doubt antifa care much about PR.

"Being nice" never really worked against nazis in the past.

Was the gay Asian lad really a Nazi though? That gets to he heart of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

klaaaz wrote: »
    The fella punched in that famous video is an self proclaimed American Nazi. American's fought Nazism in WWII and they don't like Nazis on their home soil.

Fairly sure the lad who punched him didn't land on Normandy...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

What would you suggest is a good way of dealing with these modern day nazis?

o1s1n wrote: »

I'd say hes never even heard of Normandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    I dont know B are you? Do you condemn the violence of Antifa and the incident in particular with the sucker punch?
    The violence commited on Ngo, yes. A piece of neo Nazi sh!t like Spencer, not a chance. I'd have been quite happy to see the fella stick the boot in on him aswell

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    The violence commited on Ngo, yes. A piece of neo Nazi sh!t like Spencer, not a chance. I'd have been quite happy to see the fella stick the boot in on him aswell

I admire your honesty. Truly.

Fairly sure everybody who did land on the beaches would be Nazis in modern discourse. The US was a legally racist state.

That’s why this thing is so ahistorical.

The other problem with the American left is while they are fighting phantoms in the US, Yemeni children are dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Oh we have comedian. Nazism in America are a tiny minority these days. As for their evangelical conservative cousins in the alt-right, they're trying to grow and use violence against anyone of any race who is not far right.

The Proud Boys are the latest aggressive front in their battle and one of their targets is lgbt people which you agree should not have violence directed at them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

How did you get;

From

?????

From
    All this “punch a nazi” and “bash the fasch” stuff doesn’t sit well in a time where the definition of nazi and fascist has expanded to a point where they have lost all meaning.

While those terms have certainly not 'lost all meaning' it helps the cause of the ALT-Right and white supremacists to water down and dismiss such labels, especially if they themselves are being called out as such. For example, 'John is a racist'. 'Yeah, but he's probably a nice guy, because what does 'racist' even mean anymore?'. This is the goal.
    This lad was a gay Asian beaten up by a few masked whites.

He might well be conservative of course. Or even fairly right wing. Maybe a bit of a chauvinist. He’s hardly a white supremacist.

Of course if you describe any ideological enemy as a fascist or white supremacist then it gives you the right to attack anybody.

I’d like to see the energy that the anti fan put into fighting phantoms go into fighting the US war machine.

Wasn't commenting on a particular attack. Was responding to the comment. For the greater public it is that straightforward and simplistic. I'd guess that's why the white supremacists get more bad press than Antifa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

They are an extremist group and I am surprised anyone would make excuses for them or just choose not to report on their actions just because there is an idea that they belong to the same political "tribe". All extremes need to be weeded out IMO. I saw one video where they were illegally directing traffic in portland and when someone refused to follow orders an Antifa member started saying "hey whitey, you better get out of here whitey!" now all you have to do is change "whitey" for jew and you can see the comparison to the WW2 villains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

All this “punch a nazi” and “bash the fasch” stuff doesn’t sit well in a time where the definition of nazi and fascist has expanded to a point where they have lost all meaning.

We have to pretend Antifa etc, most of the modern Left are representative of the working class or even in touch with them, rather than a manifestation of the upper Middle Class.

Generally the Left of today are no reflection of nor related to the Left, of the past.

Why not pretend the gay Vietnamese guy is a KKK lover, the old Jews of Brighton are plotting against Corbyn at Israel's command etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Brian? wrote: »
    Antifa have terrible PR. They are constantly, and often rightly, vilified by the media.

I don't know if you are deliberately avoiding the elephant in the room here,
    But yes Antifa are villified by the media; Only right-wing media.

Can you prove me wrong, and point me to where left-wing media villify Antifa ? - Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Was the gay Asian lad really a Nazi though? That gets to he heart of the matter.

He was marching with nazis, released articles doxing people and claiming many journalists are antifa. These journalists subsequently got death threats from nazi groups. At the very least he is sympathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

They are an extremist group and I am surprised anyone would make excuses for them or just choose not to report on their actions just because there is an idea that they belong to the same political "tribe". All extremes need to be weeded out IMO. I saw one video where they were illegally directing traffic in portland and when someone refused to follow orders an Antifa member started saying "hey whitey, you better get out of here whitey!" now all you have to do is change "whitey" for jew and you can see the comparison to the WW2 villains.

Oh their mask slips quite easily

calling a black guy an uncle tom is so weird from a group that is supposed to be against racism!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That is there weakness as there is a risk of being the thing they hate but also having your message not only drowned out but twisted to paint you as the villain.

If the right is really a new phase of Nazism in America the left would do well to remember what happened to the communist in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Danzy wrote: »
    We have to pretend Antifa etc, most of the modern Left are representative of the working class or even in touch with them, rather than a manifestation of the upper Middle Class.

The Left of today are no reflection of nor related to the Left, of the past.

Why not pretend the gay Vietnamese guy is a KKK lover, the old Jews of Brighton are plotting against Corbyn at Israel's command etc etc.

That's broad brush talk TBF. I wouldn't equate anyone concerned with immigration or pro Brexit with white supremacy. The vast majoritry of people would be middle right and middle left. Wanting equality and a higher working wage is often dismissed as being associated with PBP and the like, just as anyone being upper middle class isn't allowed advocate for such things for some reason. That's the traditional stick used against anyone looking out for things beyond themselves. I mean you can't knock an upper middle class right winger for being selfish.
    For me it all boils down to the trend of the wealthy and their lackeys, (willing or unaware) to fight against anything that takes a little of the have away from the haves. It's a massive international PR campaign.
    What we are left with on the fringes are f***wits fighting for corporates and others in Antifa and the like thinking they can do justice by going down to their level.
    The ALT-Right and Antifa are symptoms of this PR campaign to make the white wealthy corporates look like the underdogs. IMO.
    For example corporate america screws the Americans so it's great to have build a wall and the like to blame while they keep power, not that the Liberals are much better. In Ireland trade Mexicans for people pretending to be homeless to get a forever home near their Ma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

klaaaz wrote: »
    The Proud Boys are the latest aggressive front in their battle and one of their targets is lgbt people

Would you like to cite some reputable sources to back up this claim of yours?

It is interesting how the NY Post has written about the rising accounts of homophobic attacks in Portland which, when investigated, later transpired to be malicious hoaxes created by Antifa and it's acolytes as means to discredit groups such as The Proud Boys as homophobic... now I'm sure this isn't what a poster of such repute as yourself is trying to do here.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/30/inside-the-suspicious-rise-of-gay-hate-crimes-in-portland/

I find it absolutely despicable how those on the Far Left claim to be advocates of LGTB equality when they are so quick to use physical violence on LGTB members who might step out of line.

Calhoun wrote: »
    If the right is really a new phase of Nazism in America the left would do well to remember what happened to the communist in Germany.

They'll join up with the Nazis again, invade Poland, exterminate communities and fall out once more because they are so similar?

I could see the ANTIFA types going for that, Trots as well but that is about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Venom wrote: »
    calling a black guy an uncle tom is so weird from a group that is supposed to be against racism!

What we are seeing is its less about general human rights but has descended into tribalism us versus them.

All you have to do is disagree with the rhetoric to become a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Municipalities should enact anti-masking laws. They’ve long existed in the South as a check on KKK violence. It would make it easier for police to identify and arrest criminals. Unmask Antifa and I think the cowards will retreat. Also an investigation into the Mayor’s actions, and what the police dictate by the mayor was, should take place.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    I admire your honesty. Truly.

I’m not too concerned about Spencer either, except perhaps that it cheapens the general discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

He was marching with nazis.

No he wasn't.
    released articles doxing people

No, he didn't.

You attempting to vilify a gay Asian who was attacked in broad daylight by a horde of masked white men is quite frankly disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I always get the impression that these antifa guys and proud boys are really ineffectual dweebs who are coming to the realisation that they are ugly, stupid, and won’t be having a positive influence on the world. Proper losers with anger issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You're a total hypocrite. You condone violence and cowardice by 1 side while labelling the other side Nazi.

It's idiots like you that are the problem on both sides. You don't know history. You don't know that the far left is just as bad as the far right.

You just buy into this divisive bull**** narrative that in your eyes makes it ok to label and physically attack people you disagree with. Guess what? You're the ****ing Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

How did you get;

From

?????

Why does one have to come from the other? I don't think Antifa do thorough background checks on all the people they assault. Anybody that doesn't look like they do is pretty much fair game in their eyes. They often decide who is discriminating based on race, gender etc having no prior knowledge of their victims.

They shouldn't be shocked then if their counterparts attack them using the deciding that they're a Bolshevik threat to society.

No he wasn't.

No, he didn't.

You attempting to vilify a gay Asian who was attacked in broad daylight by a horde of masked white men is quite frankly disturbing.

To people like 20 cent, Ngo is a jumped up **** who went to the wrong University, only got there because he got a scholarship, his boat people family couldn't pay.

He is LGBT but doesn't conform to a modern left wing perspective, he'll gets stick for that, not from other gay people but from many in the modern Left.

He is Asian, which in the modern radical American Left can be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

BloodBath wrote: »
    You're a total hypocrite. You condone violence and cowardice by 1 side while labelling the other side Nazi.

It's idiots like you that are the problem on both sides. You don't know history. You don't know that the far left is just as bad as the far right.

You just buy into this divisive bull**** narrative that in your eyes makes it ok to label and physically attack people you disagree with. Guess what? You're the ****ing Nazi.

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hilarious.

Yeah. I'm not the 1 condoning violence by a terrorist group.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

not the first time this sort of thing has happened, Anti-fascists murder peaceful journalist in Germany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Would you like to cite some reputable sources to back up this claim of yours?

It is interesting how the NY Post has written about the rising accounts of homophobic attacks in Portland which, when investigated, later transpired to be malicious hoaxes created by Antifa and it's acolytes as means to discredit groups such as The Proud Boys as homophobic... now I'm sure this isn't what a poster of such repute as yourself is trying to do here.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/30/inside-the-suspicious-rise-of-gay-hate-crimes-in-portland/

I find it absolutely despicable how those on the Far Left claim to be advocates of LGTB equality when they are so quick to use physical violence on LGTB members who might step out of line.

You article was written by the said conservative Andy Ngo! There goes your neutrality!

The Proud Boys which you're quick to defend are a homophobic hate group as well as hating other races and minorities in both USA and Canada, they are designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.
    They are also at the forefront of organising the so called Boston straight pride, they are also hate feminism and want women to be subservient to men. They are like a "street fight club" engaging in violence on their opponents to meet their political goal

But you knew all that with your fine reputation!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement