Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

Tony EH wrote: »
    They pulled out because they were defeated and they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Norway was a massive screw up. The British were only there to re-route an invasion force toward Narvik, the only ice free port, that was shipping iron ore from Gallivare to Germany.

That prompted the Germans to forestall a British landing.

Op. Catherine was a disaster from beginning to end and another indication of Churchill's very limited military acumen.

I think you need a history lesson,
    Norwegian,British,French and Polish led by General Carl Gustav Fleicher gave the nazis their first defeat at Narvik and had them routed,if it wasnt for the fact that the nazis occupied France, and Sweden let German troops use their railway to reinforce their troops,they would have sent them back to Germany again.
    Not to mention they sank a number of war ships in the german kriegsmarine,and crippled them badly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Narvik

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_Fleischer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_German_troops_through_Finland_and_Sweden

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

nullzero wrote: »
    Joeytheparrot, I'm guessing you deleted your post when you realised what you said about my post had no basis in fact, didn't stop Protonmike from thanking it however. I was wondering why I couldn't reply to it.

Mod: Petulant response. Take 48 hours away from the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Acosta

Bonniedog wrote: »
    What the fk would you know about him?

He doesn't fit into your little baby box so he's not "really gay." :rolleyes:

Same as Murray and many others who don't believe in leftie cr@p.

So i am assuming that you do think that if someone is gay they are immune from criticism, once they are in the world of infantile leftism.

You brought him up.

All I know about him is he as a gay man actively campaigned against himself and others having the right to be married and feels same sex couples being allowed to raise children is some sort of abomination. It's fair enough to point out that for a gay person he has very odd views on the rights fellow gay people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

O'Gorman has also been criticised for his plans to allow under 16s to be surgically "treated" for gender dysphoria.

I've searched high and low, can't find any mention anywhere of under 16s being given the go ahead to receive gender reassignment surgery under this new bill.

Only about legal recognition of gender, of which surgery is not a requirement. In fact, the vast majority of trans people don't actually go through SRS.

Churchill's strategy was awful. Once in Norway, British troops were to head to Narvik and occupy the port and it was then further hoped that the Norwegians wouldn't actually turn against a British invasion force and just get on board against the Germans. Although they had neither the desire to be at war with either country.

Ahh well, the difference here is that I don't believe for a second that he was directly involved in the actual planning of the operation. He oversaw it, but he was never a soldier. He served in the Navy, and while he had experience as a governor, he would have relied on the military to advise him.

The strategy was sound if they had the resources available to consolidate on gains... but they had neither the manpower, nor the equipment to deal with the German forces.
    Catherine was one of the most flimsiest plans in the whole war and coupled with Wilfred was a disaster waiting to happen.

Oh, I do agree that it was a disaster...
    There were better minds that were arguing against the First Lord of the Admiralty and a lot of them hadn't forgotten Churchill's previous farce in the Dardanelles in WWI. But he wouldn't listen to them.

All he achieved in the end was plunging Norway into a German occupation for five years.

There were a lot of voices shouting for action, and few sensible heads saying where that action should happen. Norway was a propaganda piece with limited realistic value... And Norway would have been taken anyway due to the need for submarine bases, minerals supply, and later the need for heavy water. (Telemark, good movie. :D) Germany would never have allowed Norway to stay neutral since their coast was needed to close down the Baltic to the British fleet which would have been raiding the supply of copper from Sweden..

I'm not saying that Norway was a good operation by Britain. It wasn't. It was badly planned, had few benefits, and was incredibly badly executed. It showed just how amateurish the British forces had become, and the divisions between the Army and the Navy... although it gave Churchill grounds to chop some heads and rebuild the command structure somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think you need a history lesson,

Eh...no.

I had all those history lessons long, LONG, before. wink.png

Catherine Wilfred and R4 were unmitigated disasters, which was a British defeat, and led to a German occupation of Norway for 5 years.

There's no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

O'Gorman has also been criticised for his plans to allow under 16s to be surgically "treated" for gender dysphoria. Against the view of several medical people who work with such children, and on recommendation of a committee with transgender activists on it.

Noone is proposing that. You are lying.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ahh well, the difference here is that I don't believe for a second that he was directly involved in the actual planning of the operation. He oversaw it, but he was never a soldier. He served in the Navy, and while he had experience as a governor, he would have relied on the military to advise him.

Oh Winston was very much involved. As First Lord of the Admiralty, he had the rank to be and coupled with Churchill's personality made sure he had an input.

To his credit, and not in any small part due to his contribution in the Norway fiasco, he learned to step away from military planning after 1940 when he became PM and let the better minds do their job unhindered.

Until he insisted in his belief that Italy was the "soft underbelly" and not the tough old gut it turned out to be.
    The strategy was sound if they had the resources available to consolidate on gains... but they had neither the manpower, nor the equipment to deal with the German forces.

That is not a sound strategy though Klaz.

If the tactical situation is bound to leave you in a loss at each turn, then the strategy is extremely flawed and probably doomed to failure.

Knocking out the shipping of iron ore from Gallivare and essentially occupying Norway themselves may have been an ok idea on paper, but the British totally ignored all the problems with that idea in the hope that everything would go fine...somehow.

It, inevitably, turned into a monumental farce and even Wesserubung, which itself was knocked together once the Gerries got wind of the British plans for Norway, was enough to see the British off.

At the end of the day, Norway became the playground for two warring parties that had no real business there.
    And Norway would have been taken anyway due to the need for submarine bases, minerals supply, and later the need for heavy water. (Telemark, good movie. :D) Germany would never have allowed Norway to stay neutral since their coast was needed to close down the Baltic to the British fleet which would have been raiding the supply of copper from Sweden..

This isn't the case.

Hitler preferred Norway to be neutral and even dismissed Raeder's suggestion in 1939 that Germany try and occupy it. A neutral Norway was more to German advantage than a country they had to occupy, especially with the looming war in France being almost a 100% certainty in the new year, coupled with Hitler's longer term plans for Russia that were his be all/end all reason for war in the first place.

The fact is, the more territory Germany had to cover to deny it to the allies, the worse it actually was for her and her leadership's actual goals.

Having to spread forces around so many countries was a pain in the arse, to put it bluntly, when what Hitler wanted to do was create some Barney in the east. Every bit of ground the Germans had to cover was another chip in the resources that could have been used against Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Noone is proposing that. You are lying.

Once the proposal is in law, then next step will be to allow surgery with parental consent then the extremists will attack the need for parental consent.

This is how these things work as evidenced by other countries across the entire agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Once the proposal is in law, then next step will be to allow surgery with parental consent then the extremists will attack the need for parental consent.

This is how these things work as evidenced by other countries across the entire agenda.

Such as?

• Advertisement

Nah. You're completely and utterly lying. Surgery for under 16s isnt being proposed.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Yeah and during the SSM referendum right wingers were crying about how it'd open the floodgates for incestuous marriages, bestiality, etc..

Turns out none of it happened. Maybe you should stop peddling slippery slope fallacies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

His post was actually very interesting and he clearly knows the history. You, not so much.

The view regarding Stalin's role in 1939 - 41 is not one of consensus. There is the neo-Stalinist view that his "genius" enticed Hitler into his web. Quite obviously nonsense even on basis of his personal behaviour. He did trust Hitler and killed agents who were telling NKVD of German plans to invade right up to when tanks were rolling!

Others plausibly argue that Hitler was never going to win anyway and that he made major error in invading Soviet Union. Latter is true but I also think that had Brits been beaten in 1940 that there would have been no American intervention and Nazis would have won.

The question regarding the Soviet Jewish population is interesting one as the documented plans by Stalin to liquidate them at the time of his death and the anti Semitic purges in the occupied countries completely defeat the argument that the Soviets were fighting for Holocaust justice!

Israel was already an enemy state to Moscow by 1950.

But as you say, you are better off not engaging :)

I read the man in the high castle too , or did you just watch the tv series ?

try some harry turtledove , more the out come your looking for …

Yeah and during the SSM referendum right wingers were crying about how it'd open the floodgates for incestuous marriages, bestiality, etc..

Turns out none of it happened. Maybe you should stop peddling slippery slope fallacies.

It's not even a slippery slope. It's absolute lies.

Terry Pratchet

Eh...no.

I had all those history lessons long, LONG, before. wink.png

Catherine Wilfred and R4 were unmitigated disasters, which was a British defeat, and led to a German occupation of Norway for 5 years.

There's no two ways about it.

So you admit you were wrong about Norway then?
    And the operstions would have been ok if it wasnt for the nazis invasion of France?
    And the operations you mentioned are mainly for the Baltics.
    And the invasion of Norway would have happened no matter with or without British interference.
    As a Norwegian myself i think i do know a bit more about my countrys history than you do.
    Was your grandfather fighting in Narvik as well?
    And you havent showed f..k all links to anything to back up your claims

So you admit you were wrong about Norway then?

No.
    And the operstions would have been ok if it wasnt for the nazis invasion of France?

No.
    And the operations you mentioned are mainly for the Baltics.

No.

The main and immediate objective of Catherine was to stop Swedish iron ore deliveries to Germany via the ice free port of Narvik, in Norway.

Wilfred was the British mining Norwegian waters, in Norway.

And the planned R4 was to land an invasion force, in Norway.

In all operations, the central point was, you guessed it...Norway.

No.

No.

No.

The main and immediate objective of Catherine was to stop Swedish iron ore deliveries to Germany via the ice free port of Narvik, in Norway.

Wilfred was the British mining Norwegian waters, in Norway.

And the planned R4 was to land an invasion force, in Norway.

In all operations, the central point was, you guessed it...Norway.

I have allready told you it worked,if it wasnt for the fact that the nazis did invade France and Bristish and French troops was ordered back.

The land force was allready there under command of General Fleicher,together with French,Polish and Norwegian troops.

And the mines was laid at stadlandet and vestfjorden,8 of April,Norway was invaded 9 April.

And operation Wilfred and R4 was both a success
    And they where also delayed because of the winterwar between Sovietunion and Finland.
    Did you even bother to read the link i showed you in my previous comment?Try again
    No use dicussing with someone who cant back up their claims

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/operation_wilfred.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Polar101

He was not attacked for being gay. The second speaker on Saturday is gay.

He was also attacked because a certain group think maps (as in geography) are something sinister. Absolute rubbish like that makes is obvious no-one attacking him is being honest about their motives.

This isn't the case.

I'll take your word for it. It's been a while since I've really read into WW2. I'm up to speed on equipment, generals and certain campaigns, but my actual history is spotty (I'm a big HOI player).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

The running argument about WW2 in this thread is great.

• Advertisement

RWCNT wrote: »
    The running argument about WW2 in this thread is great.

Why not? After all, people can circle on Antifa till the cows come home, repeating the same opinions.

Typically those who are pro-antifa have zero interest in listening to anybody else. So it's a endless cycle of "yes, they are", "no, they aren't", "you don't know what you're talking about". Yadda yadda yadda. 280 pages.... the WW2 discussion is the most interesting aspect for a long time. ;)

I have allready told you it worked,

At no point, in the 60+ days in Norway, was the British campaign in Norway "working". The British lost in Norway and were always going to lose, even if Fall Gelb never happened.

There was some temporary success in the north for Britain and at sea she gave Kriegsmarine a bloody nose. But neither of those translate into "working".

The historical record shows clearly that Britain lost in Norway and lost hard...and basically handed the country to Germany.
    if it wasnt for the fact that the nazis did invade France and Bristish and French troops was ordered back.

The Gerries had the upper hand before Gelb was even launched Even with the temporary setback in Narvik. The victory was absolutely decisive for Germany, with or without the invasion of France in May.

Your idea that the British campaign in Norway was working and would have been a success, only for Fall Gelb, doesn't hold any water.

I'll take your word for it. It's been a while since I've really read into WW2. I'm up to speed on equipment, generals and certain campaigns, but my actual history is spotty (I'm a big HOI player).

I've no idea what HOI is.

But, Hitler did in fact prefer countries to remain neutral, if at all possible, as his reason for war was Russia. He never wanted war in the west, really, and always viewed it as a thorn in his side. This is especially the case for Britain, from whom he wanted nothing else but to butt out of "his" war in the east, or possibly come into the war on Germany's side.

To Hitler, needing to have to occupy western Europe was a waste, when all that men and material could have been used for his pet project.

The reality is, though, it wouldn't have made any difference to the final outcome. Russia would still have beaten Germany even with the extras that were "rotting" in the likes of France. Hitler's whole vision for Russia ("kick the door in and the whole rotten edifice will fall down") proved to be completely and utterly wrong and once the Russians had moved their industrial base beyond the Urals, that was that.

Russia had to be soundly defeated in 1941, or not at all.

At no point, in the 60+ days in Norway, was the British campaign in Norway "working". The British lost in Norway and were always going to lose, even if Fall Gelb never happened.

There was some temporary success in the north for Britain and at sea she gave Kriegsmarine a bloody nose. But neither of those translate into "working".

The historical record shows clearly that Britain lost in Norway and lost hard...and basically handed the country to Germany.

The Gerries had the upper hand before Gelb was even launched Even with the temporary setback in Narvik. The victory was absolutely decisive for Germany, with or without the invasion of France in May.

Your idea that the British campaign in Norway was working and would have been a success, only for Fall Gelb, doesn't hold any water.

Lets try again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_Fleischer

Operations in 1940

Carl Gustav Fleischer in 1940
    As commander of the 6th Division, Maj. Gen. Carl Gustav Fleischer coordinated Norwegian, French, Polish and British forces in the recapturing of Narvik on 28 May from Maj. Gen. Eduard Dietl's Austro-German 3rd Mountain Division. The victory was accomplished despite shifting allied strategies and leadership.
    Narvik was the first major allied infantry victory in the Second World War. Unfortunately for the Norwegians, following the German invasion of France and the Low Countries on 10 May 1940, the Allied task force was withdrawn in early June. Without the support from the Allies, the Norwegian Army alone would not be able to defend its positions and a capitulation agreement for mainland Norway was signed. The Germans reoccupied Narvik on 9 June.

https://www.thelocal.se/20120605/41252

Narvik-based journalist Espen Eidum spent three years combing through the Norwegian, Swedish and German archives in his bid to discover how the Nazis had managed to get troops and supplies to the front lines in Narvik in 1940, enabling them to turn a losing battle into a decisive victory.
    The Germans used the Swedish rail network on a large scale during the fighting,” Eidum told Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet following the release of his book Blodsporet, ‘The Blood Track’.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Narvik

1 battle for Narvik

German losses
    2 destroyers sunk
    1 ammunition supply ship sunk
    6 cargo ships sunk
    4 destroyers damaged
    163 casualties

2 battle for Narvik
    German losses
    8 destroyers sunk or scuttled
    1 U-boat sunk
    128 killed
    67 wounded

Doesnt look like a defeat to me?

Lets try again

You can try all you want. The historical record is against your idea that the British plans in Norway were "working".

British actions in Norway were a disaster and what's more, a disaster that didn't need to happen.

You can try all you want. The historical record is against your idea that the British plans in Norway were "working".

British actions in Norway were a disaster and what's more, a disaster that didn't need to happen.

Read it again the historical facts are there,rather you like it or not,and they are all against you
    Now i have better things to do than to persuade you about facts you cant back up with any facts

I've no idea what HOI is.

Grand strategy PC game. Quite detailed. Think strategic war gaming.

Read it again the historical facts are there,rather you like it or not,and they are all against you
    Now i have better things to do than to persuade you about facts you cant back up with any facts

Look, no historian is going to agree with your assertion that the British campaign in Norway was on the way to success, but for the German invasion of France.

In fact, the OVERWHELMING consensus in any study on the campaign was that British planning was littered with problems, bad decisions, muddled thinking, hopeful outcomes, and was pretty much doomed to failure.

The Germans may have abandoned Narvik to the British temporarily - the only land exercise that can be even remotely considered "successful" - but the BEF were in no condition to hold it indefinitely. It was always going to be retaken by German troops, regardless of fighting elsewhere.

On land, the British were on the back foot. This was directly due to the poor planning that had gone ahead pre-execution.

The whole thing was a blunder from beginning to end.

You can try to spin it as some sort of "lost victory", if you wish. But it'll remain a fantasy.

Grand strategy PC game. Quite detailed. Think strategic war gaming.

Oh...Hearts of Iron.

Duh. :D

• Advertisement

Look, no historian is going to agree with your assertion that the British campaign in Norway was on the way to success, but for the German invasion of France.

In fact, the OVERWHELMING consensus in any study on the campaign was that British planning was littered with problems, bad decisions, muddled thinking, hopeful outcomes, and was pretty much doomed to failure.

The Germans may have abandoned Narvik to the British temporarily - the only land exercise that can be even remotely considered "successful" - but the BEF were in no condition to hold it indefinitely. It was always going to be retaken by German troops, regardless of fighting elsewhere.

On land, the British were on the back foot. This was directly due to the poor planning that had gone ahead pre-execution.

The whole thing was a blunder from beginning to end.

You can try to spin it as some sort of "lost victory", if you wish. But it'll remain a fantasy.

Show me the links and facts and ill believe you
    I have allready showed you mine and they are all opposite of what you are saying
    The operations at Narvik was quite successful if you ask me,they fought the Germans back to the swedish border

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alta_Battalion

By early June 1940, in co-operation with French and Polish land forces, as well the RAF, the Royal Navy and the French and Polish navies, the 6th Division had pushed the German invaders out of the vital port of Narvik and forced them into a small pocket by the Swedish border

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement