Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offseason 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Re. in bold....what? That's some leap.

I dislike the move for a number of reasons, amongst them how they went about it; but also because I don't think it's actually the best move for AD.

A better move for him in my opinion would have been to go to a franchise that's a contender where he would also be "the man". Does joining the Lakers with LeBron make him a contender? Possibly; but the roster from positions 3 down doesn't look title contending. Will he be "the man" there as long as LeBron is there? That's a no. And if Paul was doing his job and putting Ad's interests first, then that should be his priority - not putting AD's interests into the pot with LeBron's. Even a move like the KD & AD to the Knicks move would have been better as he'd certainly have much more of the spotlight on him there than he will in LA. He'll always be in LeBron's shadow there, no matter how well he plays.

The historically putrid franchise you speak of were in Rd. 2 of the Play Offs last year and likely would have made them this year had they not had their season hijacked by Klutch and co. Last time I checked the Lakers haven't made the Play Offs for a while, and have the joint worst record in the League over the last 6 seasons.

AD to the Lakers is a great move for LeBron, no question. I don't believe it's the best move for AD's career.

This is not Boston sour grapes either in case you think that.

Thanks for answering the question I asked re. Rich Paul's No. 1 priority though. Oh, wait....

I think it may be a bit narcissistic of us to know what the best move for AD is. He is a grown man that made this decision for a reason, no one put a gun to his head. I think playing for LA is a big allure for players that want to imprint themselves on the legacy of that franchise. Will he be in the shadow of LeBron, yea but maybe he has thicker skin than we give him credit for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Popped in to proclaim how great I am for being adamant for so long that Kawhi was picking the Clippers as well as trying to get paid at 5s.

Honestly don't think I can post anymore though if this LBJ ****e is coming back out again.
    I've contributed numerous times but it just needs to be left alone at this point.

He's probably not even the best player in the league anymore.

All aboard the Kawhi GOAT train...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Now Westbrook might be traded. Some long days ahead in OKC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Scenes if Kawhi leads the Clippers to their first Chip next season. A bit surprised they're favourites though although hard to put any other team above them really so it might be warranted. Pat Bev, Kawhi and PG13 on defence though...

6ers, Jazz and the Nuggets will be my value sweats for the year.

Just see Boogie's going to the Lakers for a year. Man is hungry as **** for that ring. Zubac to the Clippers...

I haven’t even started properly processing a pecking order for next season. Are Toronto still good without Kawhi? Do I trust the 76ers even this loaded? Curry, DeAngelo, Klay and Green could still be a nightmare playoff match/up right? All questions I’ve barely thought about, too much going on! Next season is going to be insane from night one.

Who even has the space to absorb Westbrook’s monster contract? Is Russ even worth a dice-roll for a contender at this point or is it too big of a risk at that price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Angliru wrote: »
    Zubac to the Clippers...

That's a resigning, went there during the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

leggo wrote: »

Lifelong Knicks fan even during the 10 years I lived in Seattle, during which they were carpetbagged away to Oklahoma. Personally hope the OKC franchise craters for a few decades and costs the local's plenty. Theft is theft.

(And there's not a lot to look forward to for the Knicks. Everyone 'got away.' Maybe they'll be better than last year with largely the same cast of youngsters.)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,188 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Boogie to the Lakers, gives them a decent 5 rotation.

LOL, Rondo going back to the Lakers. Melo and JR Smith next please LeGM

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    Popped in to proclaim how great I am for being adamant for so long that Kawhi was picking the Clippers as well as trying to get paid at 5s.

Honestly don't think I can post anymore though if this LBJ ****e is coming back out again.
    I've contributed numerous times but it just needs to be left alone at this point.

He's probably not even the best player in the league anymore.

All aboard the Kawhi GOAT train...

This is what I mean....post a factual comment about Rich Paul’s No. 1 priority as an agent being LeBron - which I don’t think any of you would deny if you’re being honest with yourselves - and it turns into a “you hate LeBron” slagging match again. Ffs.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I honestly wouldn’t rule him out of ending up with the Lakers.

On another note, Atlanta are taking on bad contracts like there’s no tomorrow. They’re eyeing 2021 for sure. Shlenck is showing himself to be quite shrewd so far in his GM role. Players like to hang/live in Atlanta, they might be a surprise free agent destination. Will be interesting to see if they attract someone and Young and Collins continue to progress.

Can the Lakers afford it now they’ve added Green, Boogie etc? If so, could totally see it.

If not, it’s totally the kinda reactive move the Knicks would make.

Can the Lakers afford it now they’ve added Green, Boogie etc? If so, could totally see it.

If not, it’s totally the kinda reactive move the Knicks would make.

I wouldn’t rule anything out. Maybe not now, but maybe flip some of the guys they have before the season starts and/or flip that into Westbrook before the season starts or in Feb. Get a few other teams involved and who knows?

One thing the last few weeks should illustrate is teams can clear space and move contacts really quickly now.

This is what I mean....post a factual comment about Rich Paul’s No. 1 priority as an agent being LeBron - which I don’t think any of you would deny if you’re being honest with yourselves - and it turns into a “you hate LeBron” slagging match again. Ffs.:rolleyes:

Well now Butters, I'll be honest with you. Largely I would err on the side of LBJ in a lot of conversations with you because I do genuinely believe that you are bias against him so I think there is a little bit of irony in the "being honest with yourselves" part in the post above.

As far as the discussion goes, I think you've made some decent points and I would agree that LBJ as a silent partner or otherwise is probably Rich Paul's priority but in many respects, I don't think that matters to ADs prospects.
    Yes losing 4m is a lot but I suspect this conversation has been had and given the additional money AD can make via Laker related and LBJ driven opportunities given to him he is extremely likely to make that plus more.

I think Lloyd jumping on the LBJ hate stuff is somewhat understandable but probably no need to say it.
    Additionally I think you make discourse extremely infuriating when you consistently call anyone who disagrees with you on anything LBJ related a fanboi as it is a very infantile response from anyone not a teenager imo.

Overall it's a discussion that should be avoided even though it shouldn't have to be.

Next season is going to be fantastic, Clippers are really solid, they have to be favorites especially with Doc Rivers behind the wheel. Jerry West should get a lot of credit for this.

Just saw an interview view Lillard there, what an awesome pro and genuine guy.

Yeah Dame speaks so well and goes about things in completely the right way. I love how openly he interacts with people on Twitter too. The other day I was reading that he plays as Adam Iverson on 2k for the Knicks and just stat pads. Way too real!

The Lakers have got hugely better compared to last year, Kawhi disappointment aside. They’ve jettisoned a lot of their real problem players and brought in AD, Green and Boogie. Sure you’d have liked them to do more, but they’re better.

Lakers could have enough to win it all, I think people (not necessarily here mind) are overreacting to them not getting Kawhi and the gap between what they could’ve been rather than looking at what they still are. Lebron, AD and everyone else they’ve kept/picked up make them as good, on paper, as the Raptors who just won the Finals with one superstar and quality role players. Plus LBJ steps up and becomes unstoppable in the playoffs. If they keep healthy, they’ll get there, and if they’re healthy once there and perform they could easily still go all the way.

I know man
    I know i should be saying nice things and wishing him the best right now..
    But just gutted today. Loads of cap space opening up next year and giannis on the market the year after...thats the hope i suppose.

I love Kawhi. Whether playing basketball or off the court, he was great and ****ing hilarious and he just really endeared himself to me with the way he carried himself (I will be hoping he does everything he can but have the Clippers losing is my ideal situation)

I am already thinking '****, i would love to go back to last October and enjoy it again' but on the other hand I did enjoy the absolute **** out of this season and I did make the most of it as I did the last 5 seasons I have lived in Toronto and I will go back to that and watch the rebuild and will probably get to go to more games price wise!

I will never ever forget this run though, jesus. My work quality dropped, my wallet got lighter, my relationship was strained but fúck me it was something like I have never experienced in my life before and i will NEVER forget it and that is what sport is all about!

Lets hope the Jays, Leafs or Raptors win soon...I feel it is going to be a long time before I get that ecstacy again but did I say already? I will never forget those moments in the run.

Finally, love the NBA next year - as open as it has been in recent memory and looking forward to great battles between teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I love Kawhi. Whether playing basketball or off the court, he was great and ****ing hilarious and he just really endeared himself to me with the way he carried himself (I will be hoping he does everything he can but have the Clippers losing is my ideal situation)

I am already thinking '****, i would love to go back to last October and enjoy it again' but on the other hand I did enjoy the absolute **** out of this season and I did make the most of it as I did the last 5 seasons I have lived in Toronto and I will go back to that and watch the rebuild and will probably get to go to more games price wise!

I will never ever forget this run though, jesus. My work quality dropped, my wallet got lighter, my relationship was strained but fúck me it was something like I have never experienced in my life before and i will NEVER forget it and that is what sport is all about!

Lets hope the Jays, Leafs or Raptors win soon...I feel it is going to be a long time before I get that ecstacy again but did I say already? I will never forget those moments in the run.

Finally, love the NBA next year - as open as it has been in recent memory and looking forward to great battles between teams.

Nice post man
    I am in Canada 11 years...just down the road from to. I actually think the raps may push the leafs (same owners of course) and the jays due to that full realization of what a championship means to the city, province and country. I'll never forget Jose 's batflip but they did nt go all the way. Kawhis 4 bounces did. It was huge for me
    Not quite galway winning the liam McCarthy a couples years ago...but not far off!

• Advertisement

Nice post man
    I am in Canada 11 years...just down the road from to. I actually think the raps may push the leafs (same owners of course) and the jays due to that full realization of what a championship means to the city, province and country. I'll never forget Jose 's batflip but they did nt go all the way. Kawhis 4 bounces did. It was huge for me
    Not quite galway winning the liam McCarthy a couples years ago...but not far off!

I was in the banknote for the batflip and in belfast love for the encarnacion walk off against the Orioles..both great moments, this place has given me so much in terms of those sorts of experiences in sports, career and personally.

The Lakers also signed Quinn Cook! I don’t know lads, I’m starting to like what they have cooking:

Rondo / Cook / Caruso
    Green / KCP / Daniels
    LeBron / Kuzma
    AD / Dudley
    Cousins / McGee

Defensively it could be problematic and there are injury risks there. But offensively this could be excellent and plenty of options and fluidity from that mixture to get on the floor - particularly when LeBron plays point.

They didn’t get Kawhi, but that’s about as good a 24 hours they could have had at this stage not getting Kawhi. And buyout season will bring help later in the year, along with ability to add more vet mins.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Lakers also signed Quinn Cook! I don’t know lads, I’m starting to like what they have cooking:

Rondo / Cook / Caruso
    Green / KCP / Daniels
    LeBron / Kuzma
    AD / Dudley
    Cousins / McGee

Defensively it could be problematic and there are injury risks there. But offensively this could be excellent and plenty of options and fluidity from that mixture to get on the floor - particularly when LeBron plays point.

They didn’t get Kawhi, but that’s about as good a 24 hours they could have had at this stage not getting Kawhi. And buyout season will bring help later in the year, along with ability to add more vet mins.

This rests on Cousins for me, him and AD only started to get it together post All Star Break in NO.
    NO as I mentioned before had better numbers with AD & Mirotic.
    I'm not convinced twin towers of any talent level succeeds in the current NBA unless one is shooting 37%+ from deep, time will tell.

IMO the Lakers will need some waivers around trade deadline to get there but definitely looking better

This rests on Cousins for me, him and AD only started to get it together post All Star Break in NO.
    NO as I mentioned before had better numbers with AD & Mirotic.
    I'm not convinced twin towers of any talent level succeeds in the current NBA unless one is shooting 37%+ from deep, time will tell.

IMO the Lakers will need some waivers around trade deadline to get there but definitely looking better

I am (or perhaps more accurately given what I am about to post) a big Boogie fan. I posted many years ago* on here that I wanted Boston to move for him - when KG was still a Celtic, that's how far back.

The problem I see with this move is that Boogie will never be the old Boogie from now on given what we've seen in his comeback with GS. He can be very good some nights, but most nights he looks slow and out of place in the modern game - esp. defensively. He's not even going to be as good as he was with AD in NO - sadly for him. I wouldn't go so far as to say the injury ruined him completely, but it certainly has diminished him physically. And I do feel very sad for him on this.

I can't see the Lakers as serious Finals contenders come the Play Offs with the roster as it stands.......BUT......as it's a LeBron team it's highly unlikely they'll look like that by then. That's as it stands, but there's a long way to those Play Offs, a lot could happen even injury wise alone across the Conf.

The West next year though? Wow. So stacked and so hard to call.

*I just looked back out of curiosity. It was 2012. :eek: Where does the time go?

Per Woj:

Westbrook and his agent talking to OKC about trade options.

Per various:
    OKC exploring trade options with the Rockets, the Knicks, the Heat, the Magic....and the Lakers.

If they could flip him for Paul that would be an upgrade for Houston and the salaries aren't too different..........I'd do it if I'm Houston as Paul is going one way......

Per Woj:

Westbrook and his agent talking to OKC about trade options.

Per various:
    OKC exploring trade options with the Rockets, the Knicks, the Heat, the Magic....and the Lakers.

If they could flip him for Paul that would be an upgrade for Houston and the salaries aren't too different..........I'd do it if I'm Houston as Paul is going one way......

My money on Pat Riley to make a play here pairing him with Jimmy, quite the winning mentality between the two but poor perimeter shooters who'll eventually implode and itll be disaster but who knows.

My money on Pat Riley to make a play here pairing him with Jimmy, quite the winning mentality between the two but poor perimeter shooters who'll eventually implode and itll be disaster but who knows.

Yeah, they have assets to flip too in Dragic ($19m alone - goes a long way to matching Westbrook's salary)and Olynk ($12.5m off the top of my head based on a 4 for 50 but not sure how that was staggered?) and others. Throw in 7 years of draft picks (lol) and you have a deal!

It has real car crash potential but it would be a lot of fun too for the neutral. They'd play so fricking hard though. I'd certainly pay to watch them if I was in town.

Interesting take on the Westbrook and George to Toronto trade in that it was a play to get the Clippers to raise the price. Don't know how true it is but as I said, an interesting take.

As a Magic fan, if we somehow nabbed him it’d give me a reason to watch beyond duty so I’d take it, for better or worse. I don’t see a way to make it work, cap-wise, without flipping Vucevic but he’s just signed a new deal. But obviously they’ve got an idea if they’re flirting with it...

As a Magic fan, if we somehow nabbed him it’d give me a reason to watch beyond duty so I’d take it, for better or worse. I don’t see a way to make it work, cap-wise, without flipping Vucevic but he’s just signed a new deal. But obviously they’ve got an idea if they’re flirting with it...

Anyone who’s just signed can’t be moved before December 15th, so it won’t be him before then at least.

• Advertisement

Breaking jersey retirement news ..lol

Iggy getting his number put in the rafters of new stadium

Advertisement