Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin skyline is ugly, why are we not building high rise for modern city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

A never gonna happen unpopular opinion. But I'd love to see all those 1960's/70's flats knocked down and replaced with modern apts and retail or whatever. The prime locations of the flats is insane. Slap bang beside Stephens green.. along the waterfront down from Trinity.. etc etc. Anywhere you drive in the city it's the same gaudy looking flats with clothes hanging off balconies and 65 inch tvs lighting up the tiny rooms. I'm not old enough to have been around when they were built, but whomever gave it the nod has screwed up the current landscape of the city.
    Like I said. Unpopular opinion. And they'll never be knocked down. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Alicano wrote: »
    A never gonna happen unpopular opinion. But I'd love to see all those 1960's/70's flats knocked down and replaced with modern apts and retail or whatever. The prime locations of the flats is insane. Slap bang beside Stephens green.. along the waterfront down from Trinity.. etc etc. Anywhere you drive in the city it's the same gaudy looking flats with clothes hanging off balconies and 65 inch tvs lighting up the tiny rooms. I'm not old enough to have been around when they were built, but whomever gave it the nod has screwed up the current landscape of the city.
    Like I said. Unpopular opinion. And they'll never be knocked down. :o

What 60's 70's flats? Dublin has very few buildings from those eras left in the city centre I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but surely the actual ground underneath isn't strong enough for Skyscrapers? Limestone being a soft stone.
    The reason skyscrapers work in other places is because they are all built on hard rock

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

wakka12 wrote: »
    What 60's 70's flats? Dublin has very few buildings from those eras left in the city centre I would say

Very much open to correction. I'm basing my guess on a visual of the architecture :)
    Lombard St East, Holles St, Mercer St Uppr and Cuffee St are examples.
    Gaudy awful flats on prime real estate. I hope I live ling enough to see them flattened and replaced by high rise Apts or offices.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You seem to be mixing 40s/50s and early 90s developments there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm quite fond of the Stephen's green and chancery st flats. Excellent examples of the functional design of the time.

The new mid rises on Tara st and the proposed Connolly quarter will probably go ahead. Therell be some mid rises on the guiness site. There are proposals for high rise on north wall quay(Johnny Ronan) and soon the hickeys site at Heuston. The site where the proposed metrolink station is on Tara st would be a candidate after the metrolink project is abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The state should CPO very low density very central housing and build on it.

The single storey cottages beside the Mater. The single storey cottages is Stoneybatter and Donnybrook. The single storey cottages in Rathmines . Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

The single storey cottages beside the Mater. The single storey cottages is Stoneybatter and Donnybrook. The single storey cottages in Rathmines . Etc.

Likewise around Connolly Station and those horrible 90's redbricks on the south quays. Such prime locations but filled with squat houses.

• Advertisement

Stoneybatter is one of the highest density residential areas in the entire country. Zero chance of it being CPO'd

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are low-rise apartment blocks with lower density than many of the older single floor housing areas due to large parking/yards/common areas and larger flats. Obviously not the Zoe Shoeboxes.

The 3 floor Gregory Deal developments are also surprisingly high density.

You'd be quite surprised what would go first if targeting low density housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

L1011 wrote: »
    There are low-rise apartment blocks with lower density than many of the older single floor housing areas due to large parking/yards/common areas and larger flats. Obviously not the Zoe Shoeboxes.

The 3 floor Gregory Deal developments are also surprisingly high density.

You'd be quite surprised what would go first if targeting low density housing.
    Enormous six bedroom houses with one person living in them all around Ballsbridge and Sandymount.

The low density apartment blocks would be ideal. Build up up up. Give the current owners a better bigger flat in the new development and €500,000 - Bob's your uncle.

Me and you L1 011 we should be benevolent dictators. (Well you'd be benevolent).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'd honestly consider voting for ANYBODY who promised to shut down those pompous **** as their first act of government. They probably blame "high"-rises for their/their other half's erectile dysfunction.

There's a purpose for an organisation of their type; but their automatic role in planning is ridiculous and should be removed so they can actually refocus on being a National Trust as they were meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Funnily enough I think that is one of the more incongruous locations to put a 29 storey building in Dublin. It is almost an Island site and surrounded by very low rise buildings with next to no expectation that anything would be built up around it - Collins Barracks, Heuston stations (includingnpatheays) and the recently rebuilt Guinness brewery - would mean that there is little or no prospect of adjacent buildings to soften the sheer size. That being said, Heuston is a transport hub and it makes sense to densify at that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Marcusm wrote: »
    Funnily enough I think that is one of the more incongruous locations to put a 29 storey building in Dublin. It is almost an Island site and surrounded by very low rise buildings with next to no expectation that anything would be built up around it - Collins Barracks, Heuston stations (includingnpatheays) and the recently rebuilt Guinness brewery - would mean that there is little or no prospect of adjacent buildings to soften the sheer size. That being said, Heuston is a transport hub and it makes sense to densify at that location.

Isn't there a site directly opposite that could be developed? Currently a car showroom but was sold last year I believe. The whole area has a lot of untapped potential. Needs a bit of development I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think the raised the height limits in the last year ,
    so in the future we might have high rise apartments all over dublin.
    this means sites have gone up in value in dublin.
    they reduced the no of parking spaces, needed to build in a new apartment
    block.
    high density apartments in the city are good for the environment,
    they cut down on traffic jams .
    whether they look good is another question.
    The skyline looks good or bad depending on where you are located ,
    what direction you look in.

A substantial portion of Heuston carpark/yard and Conyngham Road bus garage will both likely be sold for development by the end of the decade.

Actually the long term plan involves a lot more building in this area. CIE are considering selling a huge plot of land behind hueston station by the river, and the longterm development plan for the brewery is to have buildings along the waterfront section separate from the main brewery, could be a long time before guinness sell that land though. Will be ten years before the building is done on the land they just sold for development south of thomas street

Actually the long term plan involves a lot more building in this area. CIE are considering selling a huge plot of land behind hueston station by the river, and the longterm development plan for the brewery is to have buildings along the waterfront section separate from the main brewery, could be a long time before guinness sell that land though. Will be ten years before the building is done on the land they just sold for development south of thomas street

Those would be welcome developments too but with at least 50m or more from this proposed 29 storey building to anything more than 4-6 stories, I think I will continue to think of it as unsuited. Perhaps if the design was more appealing, I might be persuaded. A glass curtain wall with its reflective properties might reduce its visual impact from a distance. The mock up cited is fairly uninspiring but it is not something I would dream of objecting to formally. I guess I think it is functional rather than aspirational. Given its proposed status as the city’s tallest and given its location, one could hope (forlornly) for something more.

Tusky wrote: »
    Isn't there a site directly opposite that could be developed? Currently a car showroom but was sold last year I believe. The whole area has a lot of untapped potential. Needs a bit of development I reckon.

The carshowroom itself is a fairly small site. I doubt it will see anything larger than the Ashling.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The area around Heuston Station was designated a zone of potential high rise development in the early 2000s when a high rise/increased density study was commissioned by Dublin City Council and elements of that study’s recommendations were incorporated into the City Development Plan. It makes sense as it is a transportation hub.

I do think that the proposed tower block for the former Hickeys Fabrics warehouse site on Parkgate St is rather poor in its exterior appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We need more high density building,s ,high rise apartments,
    builders apply for planning permission, the appearance of a building is subjective .
    Is there criteria for refusing planning permission because a building is ugly, plain ,or too large ,out of scale in relation to the surrounding buildings ?
    trends in style and design of buildings change over time as technology changes .
    there are large buildings that look attractive but it is more expensive to build and design them than a standard apartment building .
    could someone just build a large apartment block on o,connell st thats 6 storeys high?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

L1011 wrote: »
    A substantial portion of Heuston carpark/yard and Conyngham Road bus garage will both likely be sold for development by the end of the decade.

Here's Barcelona Sants train station, complete with a hotel(and very nice it is, too) built directly over the train lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

sky scrapers are over rated. when you see them everyday going to work you get sick of the sight of them. I did anyway when I lived in a high rise city. Dublin needs to sort out its public transport before we
    start worrying about skyscrapers.

Yeah, Venezuela's capital has loads of skyscrapers.
    Maybe that why inflation levels are at 15000%
    Caracus.jpg

• Advertisement

Yep, but could always start demolishing and densifying a few of the hideous low rise slabs that went up in the 90's and early 00's around the IFSC

I propose this stunner as tribute
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3491004,-6.2409963,3a,75y,226.22h,103.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLH-7qpVvHmvvytiUzBUvYw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I used to work in that building. Roasting hot in summer to the extent they brought in huge industrial scale portable air conditioners or they would have to start sending people home. Baltic cold in the winter, especially the weekends (which I used to work)

The company I worked for were headquartered on floors 14-22 in a Skyscraper on Wall Street in New York. Meanwhile my office was on floor 2. Just a little bit embarrassing if people came to visit.

Advertisement